|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Orpheus Wettenhall?
(a) Miss Shanklin's housekeeper.
(b) Miss Shanklin's husband.
(c) Miss Shanklin's lover.
(d) Miss Shanklin's lawyer.
2. What does Boy tell his fashionable friends that Dunstan is?
(a) A professor.
(b) A teacher.
(c) A writer.
(d) A published author.
3. Who does Dunstan believe is suffering most from the events of Christmas 1936?
(b) The children.
4. How does Orpheus Wettenhall die?
(a) He commits suicide.
(b) He gets murdered.
(c) He doesn't die.
(d) He gets run over by a car.
5. Instead of using his own name as the author when he publishes the autobiography of Magnus Eisengrim, Dunstan uses what?
(a) Boy Staunton's name.
(b) A pen name.
(c) The name of Mary Dempster.
(d) The name of Magnus Eisengrim.
6. The final act of the show Dunston sees in Latin America is based on what tale?
(b) Mark Twain.
(c) Huckleberry Finn.
7. Dunstan blames Mrs. Dempster's broken spirits on what act of his?
(a) Not bringing her any gifts.
(b) Leaving her for so long while he was in Mexico.
(c) Not visiting her anymore.
(d) Telling her about Paul.
8. Where does Dunstan place Mary Dempster for care after her aunt dies?
(a) In a private hospital in Toronto.
(b) In a public hospital in Toronto.
(c) In a new house with round-the-clock care.
(d) In her aunt's house with round-the-clock care.
9. What does Eisengrim tell Boy that he called him during Eisengrim's days in Deptford?
(a) Spoiled Young Ruler.
(b) Rich Young Ruler.
(c) Spoiled Bully Boy.
(d) Rich Bully Boy.
10. Liesl suggests that Eisengrim set up an automatic payment at the bank to do what?
(a) Cover the costs of Dunstan's further travel.
(b) Help pay for his mother's care.
(c) Pay Dunstan to help his mother.
(d) Pay the salaries of the show's employees.
11. When Eisengrim is speaking to Boy, what does Eisengrim say caused him to run away?
(a) Boy calling his mother a whore.
(b) Boy's bullying of the other boys.
(c) Boy's awful treatment of Dunstan.
(d) The village's hate of his mother.
12. The Board of the school where Dunstan is teaching wants its new Headmaster to be what?
(c) A Catholic.
(d) A priest.
13. Who is the keeper of Mrs. Dempster's ashes?
(a) They put the ashes in the river.
(b) No one, they are buried.
14. Wettenhall lost all his money in what event?
(a) The stock market crash of 1929.
(b) The Great Depression.
(c) The investment market crash of 1934.
(d) The war.
15. Who plays the heroine on the Opera stages of Europe?
(b) Prima Donna.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who shows up at Leona's funeral and remarks that it must be hard for Dunstan to lose her a second time?
2. What is Boy Staunton's best selling item?
3. In relation to Destiny, what does Dunstan see himself as?
4. When Boy humiliates Leola at dinner with Dunstan, what story does Dunstan tell Boy?
5. Dunstan's priest friend from Europe sends what to Dunstan, asking if he has found the importance of Mary Dempster in his life?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)