|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What book does Dunstan agree to write for Liesl?
(a) A story about Magnus Eisengrim.
(b) A story of their magic show.
(c) Magnus Eisengrim's autobiography.
(d) A history of magic tricks.
2. What is the date and location the narrator gives for the writing of the story?
(a) Sankt Gallen, Switzerland, 1970.
(b) Sankt Gallen, Switzerland, 1975.
(c) Sankt Gallen, Switzerland, 1960.
(d) Sankt Gallen, Switzerland, 1975.
3. Who does Dunstan believe is suffering most from the events of Christmas 1936?
(c) The children.
4. After Liesl and Dunstan fight, what does Liesl come back to get from Dunstan's room?
(a) Her purse.
(b) Her coat.
(c) Her room key.
(d) Her wallet.
5. Who shows up at Leona's funeral and remarks that it must be hard for Dunstan to lose her a second time?
(a) Michael Popple.
(b) Paul Dempster.
(c) Mary Dempster.
(d) Milo Papple.
6. Boy makes a fortune during what time period because he specializes in providing bulky, comforting and cheap food?
(a) The Depression.
(b) The 1910's.
(c) World War II.
(d) The 1940's.
7. When does Mrs. Dempster die?
(a) A year after Boy returns from his war efforts.
(b) A year after Dunstan stops visiting her.
(c) A year after Dunstan returns from Mexico.
(d) A year after Boy's second wedding.
8. Dunstan asks Padre Blazon if he has found God helps him be what?
9. Instead of using his own name as the author when he publishes the autobiography of Magnus Eisengrim, Dunstan uses what?
(a) A pen name.
(b) The name of Mary Dempster.
(c) The name of Magnus Eisengrim.
(d) Boy Staunton's name.
10. Who is Orpheus Wettenhall?
(a) Miss Shanklin's lawyer.
(b) Miss Shanklin's housekeeper.
(c) Miss Shanklin's lover.
(d) Miss Shanklin's husband.
11. Who plays the heroine on the Opera stages of Europe?
(d) Prima Donna.
12. When speaking to Padre Blazon, who does Dunstan refer to as his devil?
13. When Dunstan visits Mary Dempster, after his return from Europe, what is she wearing each time he comes?
(a) Her dress and shawl.
(b) Her bathrobe.
(c) The same dress.
(d) Her coat and hat.
14. When Paul thanks Dunstan for the temporary loan, what is he referring to?
(a) The money Dunstan sent him when he ran away.
(b) The money in Dunstan's wallet when he took it in Europe.
(c) The money Dunstan gave him while they were in Europe.
(d) The money Paul got when his mother died.
15. When Dunstan goes out to eat with his priest friend, he pays the bill in exchange for what?
(a) Publication of his essays.
(b) Information on the saints.
(c) Information on the Catholic church.
(d) Housing while he is in Europe.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Dunstan does not respond to Liesl's advances, what does Liesl beat him with?
2. Padre Blazon refers to Mary Dempster as what?
3. Who does Eisengrim say was his first magic teacher?
4. When Eisengrim is speaking to Boy, what does Eisengrim say caused him to run away?
5. What is on the roll of film Boy gives to Dunston to develop?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)