|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dunstan do when he visits his parents' now empty house?
(a) Take everything out to the dump.
(b) Clean the house and put it up for sale.
(c) Leave it as is and put it up for sale.
(d) Clear out a few things.
2. What do Percy and Leola name their first child?
(a) Charles Edward.
(b) David Edward.
(c) Edward David.
(d) Edward Charles.
3. According to legend, what did St. Dunstan do to the devil?
(a) Twisted his hand when the devil reached out in friendship.
(b) Twisted his nose with goldsmith's tongs.
(c) Spat in his face and didn't give in to temptation.
(d) Walked away when the devil tempted him.
4. Where does Dunstan become a teacher?
(a) Colgate University.
(b) Colborne University.
(c) Colborne College.
(d) University College.
5. The Ramsay family moved to the village from what country?
6. What is Dunstan's quest in Europe?
(a) To visit all his fellow soldiers who live in Europe.
(b) To find various statues of the Madonna.
(c) To find the statue of the Madonna he saw on the night he was injured.
(d) To visit all the battlefields so he can see where he was injured.
7. Where does the village gather to celebrate Dunstan's return?
(a) The opera house.
(b) The village square.
(c) The church.
(d) The town hall.
8. What do Dunstan's commanding officers indoctrinate Dunstan and his fellow soldiers to believe?
(a) All Germans deserve to be killed.
(b) All Canadians who serve in the military are true men.
(c) All Germans are the devil incarnate.
(d) All Canadians are the best soldiers.
9. What does Percy Staunton share with Dunstan that enables Dunstan to get more money?
(a) Investment opportunities.
(b) His money.
(c) Stock tips.
(d) How to earn interest.
10. What church do Percy and Leola join that estranges Leola from her parents?
11. What does Dunny tell Diana he wants to do after the war?
(a) Return to Canada and go to university.
(b) Stay where he is an go to university.
(c) Return to Canada and marry Leola.
(d) Stay where he is and marry Diana.
12. What does Dunstan tour in Europe?
(b) Other colleges where he could teach.
(c) The battlefields where he once fought.
(d) Tourist sights he has never seen.
13. What subject does Percy study in college?
14. Where does Dunstan find Paul Dempster and a statue of Wilgefortis?
15. Who cuts Dunstan's hair at the barbershop after his return to the village?
(a) Milo Papple.
(b) Percy Staunton.
(c) Mike Popple.
(d) Paul Dempster.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the prettiest girl in the village?
2. What is the name of the lady who took Mary Dempster away from Deptford?
3. Joel Surgeoner is the head of what?
4. At the beginning of his military service, what emotional ailment did Dunstable suffer from?
5. Who is the narrator's intended audience?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)