|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to Dunstan's family's house and newspaper business after he left for school?
(a) The house was sold, and the newspaper went out of business.
(b) He had them torn down.
(c) They were destroyed.
(d) He sold them at auction.
2. Why does Rev. Dempster prohibit Dunny from speaking to his family?
(a) Because he corrupted Mrs. Dempster by making her laugh a lot.
(b) Because he corrupted Paul by teaching him magic and about the saints.
(c) Because he corrupts the family by making them think they are accepted by the village.
(d) Because Rev. Dempster finds out that Dunny likes Paul and Mrs. Dempster.
3. What do Dunstan's commanding officers indoctrinate Dunstan and his fellow soldiers to believe?
(a) All Germans deserve to be killed.
(b) All Canadians are the best soldiers.
(c) All Germans are the devil incarnate.
(d) All Canadians who serve in the military are true men.
4. What is the name of Dunstable's nurse in the hospital?
(a) Diana Marfleet.
(b) Diane Martin.
(c) Dina Merless.
(d) Deanna Margus.
5. In what country is Dunstable stationed at the Front?
6. What do Diana's parents feel about Diana and Dunstan not marrying?
(c) They approve.
(d) They disapprove.
7. During his college years, Percy Staunton renamed himself what?
(a) Percy Boyd Staunton.
(b) Boy Staunton.
(c) Man Staunton.
(d) Boyd Staunton.
8. The Ramsay family moved to the village from what country?
9. What is the name of Dunstan's home village?
10. Who is the prettiest girl in the village?
(a) Leola Cruikshank.
(b) Marian Dempster.
(c) Leanna Crushik.
(d) Mary Papple.
11. What does Dunstan do when he visits his parents' now empty house?
(a) Clear out a few things.
(b) Clean the house and put it up for sale.
(c) Take everything out to the dump.
(d) Leave it as is and put it up for sale.
12. After passing out, unconscious from blood loss, where does Dunstable wake up?
(a) In a hospital in America.
(b) In a hospital in France.
(c) In a hospital in Canada.
(d) In a hospital in England.
13. What does Dunny tell Diana he wants to do after the war?
(a) Return to Canada and go to university.
(b) Return to Canada and marry Leola.
(c) Stay where he is and marry Diana.
(d) Stay where he is an go to university.
14. What feeling does Dunny admit to after hearing of his parents' death?
15. Where do Percy, Leola and Dunstan meet after Percy and Leola's wedding?
(a) On a train.
(b) At dinner.
(c) On a ship.
(d) At a hotel.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dunstan give to Leola when he sees her next to Percy?
2. What is the name for someone who is a know it all?
3. What does the Catholic priest say to Dunstan's comment that Mrs. Dempster is a saint?
4. How big was the population of Dunstan's home village at the beginning of the story?
5. Where does the town find Mrs. Dempster after she wanders off at night?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)