|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Leola and Percy name their second child?
2. Why does Rev. Dempster prohibit Dunny from speaking to his family?
(a) Because he corrupted Mrs. Dempster by making her laugh a lot.
(b) Because Rev. Dempster finds out that Dunny likes Paul and Mrs. Dempster.
(c) Because he corrupted Paul by teaching him magic and about the saints.
(d) Because he corrupts the family by making them think they are accepted by the village.
3. The night before Dunny departs from the village, what does Leola Cruikshank announce?
(a) That Dunny has replaced Percy in her heart.
(b) That she will marry Dunny.
(c) That she wants to go with Dunny.
(d) That she still loves Percy.
4. What do Dunstan's commanding officers indoctrinate Dunstan and his fellow soldiers to believe?
(a) All Germans are the devil incarnate.
(b) All Canadians who serve in the military are true men.
(c) All Canadians are the best soldiers.
(d) All Germans deserve to be killed.
5. At the beginning of his military service, what emotional ailment did Dunstable suffer from?
(d) Home sickness.
6. What statue does Dunstable see before he passes out, unconscious from blood loss?
(a) A statue of Einstein.
(b) A statue of a scholar.
(c) A statue of Altas holding the world on his shoulders.
(d) A statue of the Virgin and Child.
7. What church do Percy and Leola join that estranges Leola from her parents?
8. What happened to Dunstan's family's house and newspaper business after he left for school?
(a) The house was sold, and the newspaper went out of business.
(b) They were destroyed.
(c) He had them torn down.
(d) He sold them at auction.
9. What military division was Dunstable part of?
(a) The Third Canadian Division.
(b) The First Canadian Division.
(c) The Third Canadian Division.
(d) The Second Canadian Division.
10. What is the name for someone who is a know it all?
11. When Dunstable seeks shelter in a bombed out building after getting shrapnel in his leg, what building is he in?
(a) A library.
(b) A church.
(c) An unidentifiable building.
(d) A school house.
12. Where does the town find Mrs. Dempster after she wanders off at night?
(a) In the gravel pits behind a tree.
(b) In the bushes off the road.
(c) In the gravel pits in a clump of bushes.
(d) In the bushes behind the church.
13. In an effort to find shelter during a night raid, what does Dunstable run into that saves his men from enemy fire?
(a) A nest of German infantry men.
(b) A nest of German machine gunmen.
(c) A nest of German artillery.
(d) A nest of German snipers.
14. What do Percy and Leola name their first child?
(a) Edward Charles.
(b) David Edward.
(c) Charles Edward.
(d) Edward David.
15. What did Paul Dempster do when he was 10 years old?
(a) Run away with a magician.
(b) Run away with gypsies.
(c) Run away to his aunt.
(d) Run away with the circus.
Short Answer Questions
1. What rank does Dunstable achieve before he is twenty years-old?
2. In the Fall of 1919, what school does Dunstan enter?
3. What does Dunstan give to Leola when he sees her next to Percy?
4. What is the title of Dunstan's first published book?
5. What book does Dunstable carry around in his pocket while he is serving at the front?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)