|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Goodrich pour out the agony he has felt for months?
2. What is announced at the platoon formation?
3. What is Goodrich offered after he writes a report about the killing of the man and woman?
4. What is one of the first things the men ask Hodges to do when they see him?
5. What does Hodges read into the look that Kersey gives him about the attack on the OP?
Essay Topic 1
Each of the characters presented in Hodges' unit had different reasons for enlisting in the Marines.
1) Summarize the reasons of at least four of the characters in the novel.
2) Compare the character's views when they enlisted to their attitudes toward the Marines once they are actually serving in Vietnam.
3) How does each of the characters lose their innocent view of their role in the war? Cite examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
1) Describe the attitudes of the people in America toward the soldiers fighting in the war and those who return from the war.
2) Use examples from the letters and comments of the men who return home for R&R or are discharged after serving in Vietnam.
3) How do the comments about the people back in the states affect the men's morale?
4) How do they feel emotionally when they hear the comments from home?
Essay Topic 3
1) What images does Webb use to describe the Killer Fields as the men cross through them?
2) How do these images have different meaning for different people?
This section contains 1,303 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)