|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mitsuko refuse Hodges' marriage proposal?
2. How long do Hodges' men have to wait in the field before the fighting begins?
3. Why does Snake send Goodrich's team to investigate along the tree line?
4. Why can Dan never forgive the VC?
5. What is it called when helicopters drop aviation fuel into the rice seed beds?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Describe the attitudes of the people in America toward the soldiers fighting in the war and those who return from the war.
2) Use examples from the letters and comments of the men who return home for R&R or are discharged after serving in Vietnam.
3) How do the comments about the people back in the states affect the men's morale?
4) How do they feel emotionally when they hear the comments from home?
Essay Topic 2
Goodrich presents moral dilemmas to his comrades' behavior throughout the novel.
1) How do Goodrich and the other men in his unit respond differently to their plights?
2) Which characters are more realistic in their responses to the dangers that they face and the moral questions they deal with?
3) Cite examples from the novel where Goodrich was adverse to the actions of the other men in his unit.
4) Whose actions are more realistic considering the situations they face?
Essay Topic 3
1) Analyze Goodrich's final acts in the story.
2) Was his character still misunderstood in the end? Justify the answer with examples from the story.
3) What alternatives did he have at the climax of the story?
This section contains 1,261 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)