|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Snake sees the mountains in the distance, what does he think about himself?
2. Why doesn't Dan agree with Operation Lam Son 719?
3. What are Snake's thoughts about Baby Cakes?
4. What type of terrain is the Arizona shore the Marines climb onto from the chest high river?
5. What does Waterbull tell the troop in his letter from home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Snake's mother doing two years after he is killed in Vietnam?
2. What becomes of Hodges while he tries to rescue the men in the cemetery?
3. What is Hodges' reply when his classmate asks him if they can still win the war?
4. What does Hodges' mother do with the flag and gold medal she receives that Hodges earned while in the war?
5. What is the reaction of Hodges' son when Mitsuko takes him to see his father's memorial?
6. What effect does sitting in the rain have on Hodges' men?
7. What does Hodges do when he is released from the Japanese hospital?
8. Why does Dan disagree with Operation Lam Son 719?
9. What does Hodges see as he peers through the fog?
10. Why does Snake go to the company office tent?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Describe the unexpected act of Goodrich when he speaks at the anti-war rally.
2) Why does he think Snake would be proud of his actions?
3) What evidence of change takes place in Goodrich's personality?
4) How does he regard himself in this new role he makes for himself?
Essay Topic 2
1) What is the message Webb is trying to convey about life both in the states and in Vietnam during the war?
2) Does he depict a realistic and relevant view of human nature through the actions of the character during the Vietnam War?
3) Are the human qualities of each character true to life? Explain.
4) How do the characters convey the everyday struggles of life?
Essay Topic 3
1) What images does Webb use to describe the Killer Fields as the men cross through them?
2) How do these images have different meaning for different people?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)