|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can Dan never forgive the VC?
2. What becomes of Snake as he carries Goodrich toward Hodges?
3. What advice does Goodrich give to his friend Mark who arrives from Canada after evading the draft?
4. What happens to Dan's column when they enter Laos?
5. Hodges meets an old friend from school in the mess hall. What school is his friend from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hodges do when he is released from the Japanese hospital?
2. What does Hodges notice in his old classmate that he meets in the mess hall?
3. What is Mitsuko's response when Hodges asks her to marry him?
4. What is Bagger's reaction to Senator's insulting song about Hodges?
5. How do Goodrich's parents welcome him back home?
6. What effect does sitting in the rain have on Hodges' men?
7. What does Hodges see as he peers through the fog?
8. What type of songs does Senator sing and play on his guitar after Hodges returns?
9. What is in the letter that Bagger takes from a dead VC soldier?
10. What is Hodges' reply when his classmate asks him if they can still win the war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Describe the attitudes of the people in America toward the soldiers fighting in the war and those who return from the war.
2) Use examples from the letters and comments of the men who return home for R&R or are discharged after serving in Vietnam.
3) How do the comments about the people back in the states affect the men's morale?
4) How do they feel emotionally when they hear the comments from home?
Essay Topic 2
1) What is the message Webb is trying to convey about life both in the states and in Vietnam during the war?
2) Does he depict a realistic and relevant view of human nature through the actions of the character during the Vietnam War?
3) Are the human qualities of each character true to life? Explain.
4) How do the characters convey the everyday struggles of life?
Essay Topic 3
1) Evaluate the elements of cause and effect in this story using examples from the novel.
2) Choose three events from the story which cause Senator's life to undergo a change.
3) How does he react to the events and their effects?
4) How does he grow emotionally in his own life and in his attitude toward the people in his life because of these changes?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)