|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Goodrich do after a few months back home?
2. Why doesn't Snake want to follow Kersey's order to set up his men in the paddy?
3. What is Hodges so excited about as he looks through the fog?
4. Who does Goodrich tell about the scene when his platoon found Baby Cakes and Ogre?
5. What is Snake's reply to Kersey's order to move the men?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the results of the investigation into Snake's participation in the killing of the civilian's that Senator reported?
2. What is Snake's mother doing two years after he is killed in Vietnam?
3. Why does Snake disagree with Kersey's order to move the men to the paddy?
4. What does Snake decide to do when Hodges arrives to help?
5. Why does Goodrich go to the Regimental Legal Officer's tent?
6. Why does a three star General arrive at Hodges' platoon?
7. What does Snake do when he sees Senator in the hole?
8. What effect does sitting in the rain have on Hodges' men?
9. What does Hodges notice in his old classmate that he meets in the mess hall?
10. What does Goodrich see hanging from the helicopter that passes above him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) What is the message Webb is trying to convey about life both in the states and in Vietnam during the war?
2) Does he depict a realistic and relevant view of human nature through the actions of the character during the Vietnam War?
3) Are the human qualities of each character true to life? Explain.
4) How do the characters convey the everyday struggles of life?
Essay Topic 2
1) Analyze Bobby Hodges' personality and emotional changes throughout the novel.
2) What fears and emotions does he experience as he grows during his time in Vietnam?
3) How do his attitudes change as he develops from a civilian to an experienced soldier?
4) Cite examples of the character changes Hodges goes through from different scenes in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Each of the characters presented in Hodges' unit had different reasons for enlisting in the Marines.
1) Summarize the reasons of at least four of the characters in the novel.
2) Compare the character's views when they enlisted to their attitudes toward the Marines once they are actually serving in Vietnam.
3) How does each of the characters lose their innocent view of their role in the war? Cite examples from the novel.
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)