|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Hodges irritated with the way his friend describes the deaths of certain Marines?
2. What are Snake and the other men so excited about as they travel from the helicopter pad?
3. How does Mitsuko think of Hodges?
4. How does Goodrich feel after his tirade about Hodges?
5. Hodges meets an old friend from school in the mess hall. What school is his friend from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Kersey's reply when Hodges asks if there is anywhere dry where his men can wait out of the rain?
2. What type of songs does Senator sing and play on his guitar after Hodges returns?
3. What does Snake do when he sees Senator in the hole?
4. What is Snake's mother doing two years after he is killed in Vietnam?
5. Why does a three star General arrive at Hodges' platoon?
6. What is in the letter that Bagger takes from a dead VC soldier?
7. Why does Goodrich go to the Regimental Legal Officer's tent?
8. How is Senator wounded in the cemetery?
9. What effect does sitting in the rain have on Hodges' men?
10. What does Hodges' mother do with the flag and gold medal she receives that Hodges earned while in the war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Describe the attitudes of the people in America toward the soldiers fighting in the war and those who return from the war.
2) Use examples from the letters and comments of the men who return home for R&R or are discharged after serving in Vietnam.
3) How do the comments about the people back in the states affect the men's morale?
4) How do they feel emotionally when they hear the comments from home?
Essay Topic 2
1) Interpret examples of human weakness and heroism depicted in the novel.
2) Cite examples of how each is valid with regard to the fear and danger each character encounters.
3) How realistic is Webb in his descriptions of these human qualities?
Essay Topic 3
1) Discuss how Goodrich grows as a character from the beginning of the novel to the end.
2) How do his attitudes change toward the Vietnam War?
3) How does his attitude about his classmates change?
4) What are the differences in his attitude toward war protesters from the beginning to the end of the novel?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)