|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What offer does the Major make to Hodges?
2. What is Snake's reply to Kersey's order to move the men?
3. How long do Hodges' men have to wait in the field before the fighting begins?
4. What are Snake's thoughts about Baby Cakes?
5. What does Snake believe about his time in Vietnam?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is in the letter that Bagger takes from a dead VC soldier?
2. What becomes of Hodges while he tries to rescue the men in the cemetery?
3. What is Bagger's reaction to Senator's insulting song about Hodges?
4. What does Waterbull tell the men in the letter he sends to the unit?
5. What does Goodrich see hanging from the helicopter that passes above him?
6. How do Goodrich's parents welcome him back home?
7. What is Hodges' reply when his classmate asks him if they can still win the war?
8. What does Hodges do when he is released from the Japanese hospital?
9. Describe Snake's feelings about serving in Vietnam?
10. What type of songs does Senator sing and play on his guitar after Hodges returns?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Describe the unexpected act of Goodrich when he speaks at the anti-war rally.
2) Why does he think Snake would be proud of his actions?
3) What evidence of change takes place in Goodrich's personality?
4) How does he regard himself in this new role he makes for himself?
Essay Topic 2
1) Describe the attitudes of the people in America toward the soldiers fighting in the war and those who return from the war.
2) Use examples from the letters and comments of the men who return home for R&R or are discharged after serving in Vietnam.
3) How do the comments about the people back in the states affect the men's morale?
4) How do they feel emotionally when they hear the comments from home?
Essay Topic 3
1) Choose a character from the novel and discuss his role as a hero.
2) Sketch out ideas about heroism with regards to the thoughts and actions of the character.
3) Does the hero plan out his actions or act spontaneously? Use examples from the novel.
4) Is the hero realistic in his actions or does he seem superhuman? Defend the answer with examples from the novel.
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)