|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is in the letter that Snake's Captain sends to his mother?
2. What does Snake's mother wonder as she looks at Ronnie's Boot Camp picture?
3. What happens to Hodges as he hears a puff to his left?
4. What does the enemy use as a distraction from the ambush?
5. What are Snake's thoughts about Baby Cakes?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Goodrich's parents welcome him back home?
2. What does Hodges see as he peers through the fog?
3. What does Snake do when he sees Senator in the hole?
4. What are the results of the investigation into Snake's participation in the killing of the civilian's that Senator reported?
5. What does Snake decide to do when Hodges arrives to help?
6. What is the reaction of Hodges' son when Mitsuko takes him to see his father's memorial?
7. Why does Dan disagree with Operation Lam Son 719?
8. Why does Snake disagree with Kersey's order to move the men to the paddy?
9. What is Mitsuko's response when Hodges asks her to marry him?
10. What is Bagger's reaction to Senator's insulting song about Hodges?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) What role does racism play in the novel?
2) Explain the relevance of the Black Shack and the effect it has on both the white and black soldiers.
3) Describe the unrest that racism causes between white and black men fighting and relying upon one another in battle.
4) Specifically, analyze the moral dilemma that Cannonball faces because of racism during the war.
Essay Topic 2
Naturalism emphasizes that humans act by instinct, similar to animals, or compulsively driven by circumstances beyond their control.
1) Summarize three figurative comparisons that suggest either the animal nature of Snake or the compulsive nature of his actions.
2) Explain the answers as examples of Naturalism.
Essay Topic 3
1) Evaluate the relationship between Hodges and Mitsuko.
2) Are they a good match? Explain.
3) How do they interact with one another?
4) What are the qualities of their relationship?
5) Cite examples from the story proving their acceptance of one another and their role in the war.
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)