|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Goodrich pour out the agony he has felt for months?
2. What does Snake's mother wonder as she looks at Ronnie's Boot Camp picture?
3. What does Snake do after he gives the news to Bugs?
4. What story would Ronnie's mother like to hear from him?
5. What wound does Goodrich sustain?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is in the letter that Bagger takes from a dead VC soldier?
2. How is Senator wounded in the cemetery?
3. What does Hodges do when he is released from the Japanese hospital?
4. What does Hodges' mother do with the flag and gold medal she receives that Hodges earned while in the war?
5. What type of songs does Senator sing and play on his guitar after Hodges returns?
6. What does Snake do when he sees Senator in the hole?
7. Why does Snake go to the company office tent?
8. What are the results of the investigation into Snake's participation in the killing of the civilian's that Senator reported?
9. What does Waterbull tell the men in the letter he sends to the unit?
10. What does Goodrich say to the crowd of anti-war protesters when they ask him to speak?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Compare and contrast the characters of Hodges and Kersey.
2) Summarize the impact each character has on the story.
3) How is each character realistic in his view toward life, considering the time period in which the story takes place?
4) How do their roles as soldiers differ? Cite examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
1) Analyze the image of the One Mile Killer Fields.
2) What do they symbolize?
Essay Topic 3
Goodrich presents moral dilemmas to his comrades' behavior throughout the novel.
1) How do Goodrich and the other men in his unit respond differently to their plights?
2) Which characters are more realistic in their responses to the dangers that they face and the moral questions they deal with?
3) Cite examples from the novel where Goodrich was adverse to the actions of the other men in his unit.
4) Whose actions are more realistic considering the situations they face?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)