|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Kersey's reply when Hodges asks him if there is somewhere his men can hold up until the fighting starts?
2. Why is Bagger so annoyed with the truck driver?
3. What does the letter that Bagger takes off a dead enemy soldier reveal?
4. What does Hodges' friend ask him before he leaves?
5. What is the duty the men are leaving for when they climb into the truck?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hodges do when he is released from the Japanese hospital?
2. Why does Snake disagree with Kersey's order to move the men to the paddy?
3. What does Hodges see as he peers through the fog?
4. What is Snake's mother doing two years after he is killed in Vietnam?
5. What becomes of Hodges while he tries to rescue the men in the cemetery?
6. What does Hodges notice in his old classmate that he meets in the mess hall?
7. Describe Snake's feelings about serving in Vietnam?
8. What is the reaction of Hodges' son when Mitsuko takes him to see his father's memorial?
9. What is Hodges' reply when his classmate asks him if they can still win the war?
10. What does Snake do when he sees Senator in the hole?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) What images does Webb use to describe the Killer Fields as the men cross through them?
2) How do these images have different meaning for different people?
Essay Topic 2
1) Analyze how Webb depicts the soldiers during the final battle of the novel.
2) What role does fate plays in their lives?
3) How does Webb make use of figurative language during the battle?
4) How do each of these things relate to Snake, Senator, and Hodges?
Essay Topic 3
1) Discuss how Goodrich grows as a character from the beginning of the novel to the end.
2) How do his attitudes change toward the Vietnam War?
3) How does his attitude about his classmates change?
4) What are the differences in his attitude toward war protesters from the beginning to the end of the novel?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)