|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Goodrich told about the killing of the Vietnamese man and woman?
2. What happens to Dan's column when they enter Laos?
3. What is the purpose of Operation Lam Son 719?
4. What is it called when helicopters drop aviation fuel into the rice seed beds?
5. What does the enemy use as a distraction from the ambush?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hodges notice in his old classmate that he meets in the mess hall?
2. What is Bagger's reaction to Senator's insulting song about Hodges?
3. Describe Snake's feelings about serving in Vietnam?
4. What becomes of Hodges while he tries to rescue the men in the cemetery?
5. What does Snake do when he sees Senator in the hole?
6. Why does Snake disagree with Kersey's order to move the men to the paddy?
7. What is Mitsuko's response when Hodges asks her to marry him?
8. What becomes of Dan and his men when they are on the road to Laos?
9. What does Goodrich see hanging from the helicopter that passes above him?
10. What are the results of the investigation into Snake's participation in the killing of the civilian's that Senator reported?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Choose a character from the novel and discuss his role as a hero.
2) Sketch out ideas about heroism with regards to the thoughts and actions of the character.
3) Does the hero plan out his actions or act spontaneously? Use examples from the novel.
4) Is the hero realistic in his actions or does he seem superhuman? Defend the answer with examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Goodrich is one of the main constants throughout the novel. He is mentioned in all parts of the story and everyone's life seems to revolve around him.
1) Explain how Goodrich and the characters intertwine as the book progresses.
2) What relationship does he have with Hodges, Snake, Bagger, Phony, Mark, and his parents?
Essay Topic 3
1) Analyze how Webb depicts the soldiers during the final battle of the novel.
2) What role does fate plays in their lives?
3) How does Webb make use of figurative language during the battle?
4) How do each of these things relate to Snake, Senator, and Hodges?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)