|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Senator tell a group of people gathered for an anti-war rally?
2. Why does Snake send Goodrich's team to investigate along the tree line?
3. Why does Goodrich's father turn Mark in to the police?
4. What does the letter that Bagger takes off a dead enemy soldier reveal?
5. What does Hodges notice in his friend's eyes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hodges see as he peers through the fog?
2. Why does Snake go to the company office tent?
3. What becomes of Dan and his men when they are on the road to Laos?
4. What are the results of the investigation into Snake's participation in the killing of the civilian's that Senator reported?
5. What is Mitsuko's response when Hodges asks her to marry him?
6. What effect does sitting in the rain have on Hodges' men?
7. What type of songs does Senator sing and play on his guitar after Hodges returns?
8. Why does Snake disagree with Kersey's order to move the men to the paddy?
9. What is Bagger's reaction to Senator's insulting song about Hodges?
10. Why does Dan disagree with Operation Lam Son 719?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Analyze Bobby Hodges' personality and emotional changes throughout the novel.
2) What fears and emotions does he experience as he grows during his time in Vietnam?
3) How do his attitudes change as he develops from a civilian to an experienced soldier?
4) Cite examples of the character changes Hodges goes through from different scenes in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
1) Compare and contrast the characters of Hodges and Kersey.
2) Summarize the impact each character has on the story.
3) How is each character realistic in his view toward life, considering the time period in which the story takes place?
4) How do their roles as soldiers differ? Cite examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
1) Evaluate the elements of cause and effect in this story using examples from the novel.
2) Choose three events from the story which cause Senator's life to undergo a change.
3) How does he react to the events and their effects?
4) How does he grow emotionally in his own life and in his attitude toward the people in his life because of these changes?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)