|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Snake do after he gives the news to Bugs?
2. What does Bagger tell Hodges as they sit together on his cot?
3. How do Mitsuko and Hodges spend the day before he leaves for active duty?
4. What is Hodges so excited about as he looks through the fog?
5. Why doesn't Dan agree with Operation Lam Son 719?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hodges notice in his old classmate that he meets in the mess hall?
2. How do Goodrich's parents welcome him back home?
3. What effect does sitting in the rain have on Hodges' men?
4. How does Snake keep his team motivated to move through the gunfire toward the cemetery to help Senator's team?
5. Why does Goodrich go to the Regimental Legal Officer's tent?
6. What does Hodges see as he peers through the fog?
7. What is Hodges' reply when his classmate asks him if they can still win the war?
8. What does Hodges' mother do with the flag and gold medal she receives that Hodges earned while in the war?
9. Why does Snake go to the company office tent?
10. Describe Snake's feelings about serving in Vietnam?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Goodrich is one of the main constants throughout the novel. He is mentioned in all parts of the story and everyone's life seems to revolve around him.
1) Explain how Goodrich and the characters intertwine as the book progresses.
2) What relationship does he have with Hodges, Snake, Bagger, Phony, Mark, and his parents?
Essay Topic 2
1) Analyze Goodrich's final acts in the story.
2) Was his character still misunderstood in the end? Justify the answer with examples from the story.
3) What alternatives did he have at the climax of the story?
Essay Topic 3
1) What images does Webb use to describe the Killer Fields as the men cross through them?
2) How do these images have different meaning for different people?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)