|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Marines send to Hodges' mother?
2. What is Hodges so excited about as he looks through the fog?
3. What does Goodrich do after a few months back home?
4. Where do Hodges' men take position?
5. How long does Snake have left to serve in Vietnam?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Goodrich see hanging from the helicopter that passes above him?
2. What is Mitsuko's response when Hodges asks her to marry him?
3. Why does Snake disagree with Kersey's order to move the men to the paddy?
4. What does Hodges see as he peers through the fog?
5. How is Senator wounded in the cemetery?
6. What type of songs does Senator sing and play on his guitar after Hodges returns?
7. Why does a three star General arrive at Hodges' platoon?
8. What does Goodrich say to the crowd of anti-war protesters when they ask him to speak?
9. What does Snake decide to do when Hodges arrives to help?
10. Describe Snake's feelings about serving in Vietnam?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Naturalism emphasizes that humans act by instinct, similar to animals, or compulsively driven by circumstances beyond their control.
1) Summarize three figurative comparisons that suggest either the animal nature of Snake or the compulsive nature of his actions.
2) Explain the answers as examples of Naturalism.
Essay Topic 2
1) What images does Webb use to describe the Killer Fields as the men cross through them?
2) How do these images have different meaning for different people?
Essay Topic 3
1) Analyze how Webb depicts the soldiers during the final battle of the novel.
2) What role does fate plays in their lives?
3) How does Webb make use of figurative language during the battle?
4) How do each of these things relate to Snake, Senator, and Hodges?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)