|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is it called when helicopters drop aviation fuel into the rice seed beds?
2. What does Goodrich see hanging from a helicopter that is passing above him?
3. How do people react to Hitoshi when he is out in public?
4. What does Snake believe about his time in Vietnam?
5. What is Senator thinking as he searches the tree line?
Short Essay Questions
1. What effect does sitting in the rain have on Hodges' men?
2. What does Hodges do when he is released from the Japanese hospital?
3. What is Kersey's reply when Hodges asks if there is anywhere dry where his men can wait out of the rain?
4. Why does Goodrich go to the Regimental Legal Officer's tent?
5. How do Goodrich's parents welcome him back home?
6. What does Hodges' mother do with the flag and gold medal she receives that Hodges earned while in the war?
7. What does Goodrich see hanging from the helicopter that passes above him?
8. What does Snake do when he sees Senator in the hole?
9. What does Waterbull tell the men in the letter he sends to the unit?
10. What becomes of Hodges while he tries to rescue the men in the cemetery?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Analyze Bobby Hodges' personality and emotional changes throughout the novel.
2) What fears and emotions does he experience as he grows during his time in Vietnam?
3) How do his attitudes change as he develops from a civilian to an experienced soldier?
4) Cite examples of the character changes Hodges goes through from different scenes in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
1) Discuss how Goodrich grows as a character from the beginning of the novel to the end.
2) How do his attitudes change toward the Vietnam War?
3) How does his attitude about his classmates change?
4) What are the differences in his attitude toward war protesters from the beginning to the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
1) Describe the attitudes of the people in America toward the soldiers fighting in the war and those who return from the war.
2) Use examples from the letters and comments of the men who return home for R&R or are discharged after serving in Vietnam.
3) How do the comments about the people back in the states affect the men's morale?
4) How do they feel emotionally when they hear the comments from home?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)