|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Snake and the other men so excited about as they travel from the helicopter pad?
2. What is Hodges' reaction to Goodrich's insults?
3. What does Hodges notice in his friend's eyes?
4. What story would Ronnie's mother like to hear from him?
5. What does Snake do in order to bring Senator out of shock and lessen the bleeding?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Goodrich say to the crowd of anti-war protesters when they ask him to speak?
2. What does Goodrich see hanging from the helicopter that passes above him?
3. Why does Snake go to the company office tent?
4. What is the reaction of Hodges' son when Mitsuko takes him to see his father's memorial?
5. How is Senator wounded in the cemetery?
6. How do Goodrich's parents welcome him back home?
7. What becomes of Dan and his men when they are on the road to Laos?
8. What is Hodges' reply when his classmate asks him if they can still win the war?
9. What effect does sitting in the rain have on Hodges' men?
10. What becomes of Hodges while he tries to rescue the men in the cemetery?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Analyze Goodrich's final acts in the story.
2) Was his character still misunderstood in the end? Justify the answer with examples from the story.
3) What alternatives did he have at the climax of the story?
Essay Topic 2
1) Compare and contrast the characters of Hodges and Kersey.
2) Summarize the impact each character has on the story.
3) How is each character realistic in his view toward life, considering the time period in which the story takes place?
4) How do their roles as soldiers differ? Cite examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
1) Write an introduction to the novel discussing James Webb's writing style, use of dialogue, irony, imagery, and point of view of the characters.
2) How do these literary elements affect the story?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)