|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Hodges irritated with the way his friend describes the deaths of certain Marines?
2. What saves Senator from being riddled with bullets?
3. What is Kersey's reply when Hodges asks him if there is somewhere his men can hold up until the fighting starts?
4. What does the enemy use as a distraction from the ambush?
5. How does Mitsuko think of Hodges?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Hodges' reply when his classmate asks him if they can still win the war?
2. What type of songs does Senator sing and play on his guitar after Hodges returns?
3. What does Snake decide to do when Hodges arrives to help?
4. What is Bagger's reaction to Senator's insulting song about Hodges?
5. Why does Snake disagree with Kersey's order to move the men to the paddy?
6. What does Goodrich see hanging from the helicopter that passes above him?
7. Why does Snake go to the company office tent?
8. What becomes of Dan and his men when they are on the road to Laos?
9. What is Kersey's reply when Hodges asks if there is anywhere dry where his men can wait out of the rain?
10. What does Hodges do when he is released from the Japanese hospital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Evaluate the relationship between Hodges and Mitsuko.
2) Are they a good match? Explain.
3) How do they interact with one another?
4) What are the qualities of their relationship?
5) Cite examples from the story proving their acceptance of one another and their role in the war.
Essay Topic 2
1) Analyze the image of the One Mile Killer Fields.
2) What do they symbolize?
Essay Topic 3
1) Analyze Goodrich's final acts in the story.
2) Was his character still misunderstood in the end? Justify the answer with examples from the story.
3) What alternatives did he have at the climax of the story?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)