|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the duty the men are leaving for when they climb into the truck?
2. Where does Sergeant Sadler expect the enemy to attack?
3. What does a Vietnamese boy offer to sell to the soldiers as they work?
4. What is it called when helicopters drop aviation fuel into the rice seed beds?
5. What does Hodges think about his situation as the enemy begins bombing?
Essay Topic 1
1) Write an introduction to the novel discussing James Webb's writing style, use of dialogue, irony, imagery, and point of view of the characters.
2) How do these literary elements affect the story?
Essay Topic 2
1) Describe the unexpected act of Goodrich when he speaks at the anti-war rally.
2) Why does he think Snake would be proud of his actions?
3) What evidence of change takes place in Goodrich's personality?
4) How does he regard himself in this new role he makes for himself?
Essay Topic 3
1) Analyze how Webb depicts the soldiers during the final battle of the novel.
2) What role does fate plays in their lives?
3) How does Webb make use of figurative language during the battle?
4) How do each of these things relate to Snake, Senator, and Hodges?
This section contains 1,256 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)