|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Snake have left to serve in Vietnam?
2. What are Snake's thoughts about Baby Cakes?
3. What does Hodges' friend ask him before he leaves?
4. What is the result of Goodrich's sworn statement about the murders of the man and woman that he turned over to Regimental Legal Officer?
5. What type of terrain is the Arizona shore the Marines climb onto from the chest high river?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is in the letter that Bagger takes from a dead VC soldier?
2. Describe Snake's feelings about serving in Vietnam?
3. Why does Dan disagree with Operation Lam Son 719?
4. What becomes of Hodges while he tries to rescue the men in the cemetery?
5. What are the results of the investigation into Snake's participation in the killing of the civilian's that Senator reported?
6. How do Goodrich's parents welcome him back home?
7. What does Goodrich see hanging from the helicopter that passes above him?
8. What does Snake do when he sees Senator in the hole?
9. What does Hodges do when he is released from the Japanese hospital?
10. What effect does sitting in the rain have on Hodges' men?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Analyze Goodrich's final acts in the story.
2) Was his character still misunderstood in the end? Justify the answer with examples from the story.
3) What alternatives did he have at the climax of the story?
Essay Topic 2
1) Compare and contrast the characters of Hodges and Kersey.
2) Summarize the impact each character has on the story.
3) How is each character realistic in his view toward life, considering the time period in which the story takes place?
4) How do their roles as soldiers differ? Cite examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
1) What images does Webb use to describe the Killer Fields as the men cross through them?
2) How do these images have different meaning for different people?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)