|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hodges' seven year old son believe his father did?
2. How does Goodrich pour out the agony he has felt for months?
3. What is Mitsuko's answer when Hitoshi asks why Hodges died in Vietnam?
4. What offer does the Major make to Hodges?
5. What is Goodrich's response to the family gathering his parents planned for him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Snake's feelings about serving in Vietnam?
2. What is Hodges' reply when his classmate asks him if they can still win the war?
3. Why does Snake go to the company office tent?
4. Why does Goodrich go to the Regimental Legal Officer's tent?
5. What is Snake's mother doing two years after he is killed in Vietnam?
6. What is the reaction of Hodges' son when Mitsuko takes him to see his father's memorial?
7. What does Hodges do when he is released from the Japanese hospital?
8. What are the results of the investigation into Snake's participation in the killing of the civilian's that Senator reported?
9. What does Hodges see as he peers through the fog?
10. What effect does sitting in the rain have on Hodges' men?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Discuss how Goodrich grows as a character from the beginning of the novel to the end.
2) How do his attitudes change toward the Vietnam War?
3) How does his attitude about his classmates change?
4) What are the differences in his attitude toward war protesters from the beginning to the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
1) Choose a character from the novel and discuss his role as a hero.
2) Sketch out ideas about heroism with regards to the thoughts and actions of the character.
3) Does the hero plan out his actions or act spontaneously? Use examples from the novel.
4) Is the hero realistic in his actions or does he seem superhuman? Defend the answer with examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
1) Evaluate the relationship between Hodges and Mitsuko.
2) Are they a good match? Explain.
3) How do they interact with one another?
4) What are the qualities of their relationship?
5) Cite examples from the story proving their acceptance of one another and their role in the war.
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)