|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Goodrich tell about the scene when his platoon found Baby Cakes and Ogre?
2. What do Dan's and his men do after being overrun by the NVC?
3. Why doesn't Dan agree with Operation Lam Son 719?
4. What is Goodrich offered after he writes a report about the killing of the man and woman?
5. How long do Hodges' men have to wait in the field before the fighting begins?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Snake go to the company office tent?
2. What does Snake do when he sees Senator in the hole?
3. Why does Goodrich go to the Regimental Legal Officer's tent?
4. What is in the letter that Bagger takes from a dead VC soldier?
5. What does Goodrich say to the crowd of anti-war protesters when they ask him to speak?
6. What are the results of the investigation into Snake's participation in the killing of the civilian's that Senator reported?
7. What becomes of Dan and his men when they are on the road to Laos?
8. What is Mitsuko's response when Hodges asks her to marry him?
9. What is Kersey's reply when Hodges asks if there is anywhere dry where his men can wait out of the rain?
10. Why does Snake disagree with Kersey's order to move the men to the paddy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Interpret examples of human weakness and heroism depicted in the novel.
2) Cite examples of how each is valid with regard to the fear and danger each character encounters.
3) How realistic is Webb in his descriptions of these human qualities?
Essay Topic 2
1) Analyze Goodrich's final acts in the story.
2) Was his character still misunderstood in the end? Justify the answer with examples from the story.
3) What alternatives did he have at the climax of the story?
Essay Topic 3
1) What images does Webb use to describe the Killer Fields as the men cross through them?
2) How do these images have different meaning for different people?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)