|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the men wearing as they gather in the road to get in the convoy headed for battle?
2. What is Goodrich's view of bush justice?
3. What is the purpose of Operation Lam Son 719?
4. What does Goodrich do after a few months back home?
5. What happens to Hodges as the helicopters arrive to carry the wounded to safety?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hodges see as he peers through the fog?
2. What does Hodges notice in his old classmate that he meets in the mess hall?
3. What does Goodrich say to the crowd of anti-war protesters when they ask him to speak?
4. How does Snake keep his team motivated to move through the gunfire toward the cemetery to help Senator's team?
5. What does Snake decide to do when Hodges arrives to help?
6. What effect does sitting in the rain have on Hodges' men?
7. Why does a three star General arrive at Hodges' platoon?
8. What is the reaction of Hodges' son when Mitsuko takes him to see his father's memorial?
9. What becomes of Hodges while he tries to rescue the men in the cemetery?
10. What does Snake do when he sees Senator in the hole?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) What is the message Webb is trying to convey about life both in the states and in Vietnam during the war?
2) Does he depict a realistic and relevant view of human nature through the actions of the character during the Vietnam War?
3) Are the human qualities of each character true to life? Explain.
4) How do the characters convey the everyday struggles of life?
Essay Topic 2
Goodrich presents moral dilemmas to his comrades' behavior throughout the novel.
1) How do Goodrich and the other men in his unit respond differently to their plights?
2) Which characters are more realistic in their responses to the dangers that they face and the moral questions they deal with?
3) Cite examples from the novel where Goodrich was adverse to the actions of the other men in his unit.
4) Whose actions are more realistic considering the situations they face?
Essay Topic 3
1) Describe the unexpected act of Goodrich when he speaks at the anti-war rally.
2) Why does he think Snake would be proud of his actions?
3) What evidence of change takes place in Goodrich's personality?
4) How does he regard himself in this new role he makes for himself?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)