|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What changes Hodges' mind about being excited to be in the war?
2. Chapter 5 What does Major Otto have on his arm that he received during his first tour of duty?
3. Who is hit as Snake's company has point patrol in Go Noi?
4. What does Bagger realize after he goes home to his wife and child for some R&R?
5. What happens to Dan's family when he sneaks away from his unit to bring his family to safety?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bagger explain to his Marine buddies when he gets back from R&R?
2. What problems does Cannonball encounter in boot camp and Vietnam?
3. Why does Snake give Goodrich the nickname, Senator?
4. What is the result of the investigation of the banana trees just off the trail that Hodges' men are following?
5. What kind of childhood did Phony experience?
6. Why does Cannonball decide to join the Marines instead of the Army?
7. What is Goodrich's reaction as the platoon walks through Go Noi Island?
8. Describe the circumstances when Cat Man arrives in America from Mexico?
9. What does Gilliland tell Hodges about the attitude of the civilians back in the States?
10. Why does Goodrich want to join Bagger's team?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Compare and contrast the characters of Hodges and Kersey.
2) Summarize the impact each character has on the story.
3) How is each character realistic in his view toward life, considering the time period in which the story takes place?
4) How do their roles as soldiers differ? Cite examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
1) Discuss how Goodrich grows as a character from the beginning of the novel to the end.
2) How do his attitudes change toward the Vietnam War?
3) How does his attitude about his classmates change?
4) What are the differences in his attitude toward war protesters from the beginning to the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
1) Evaluate the relationship between Hodges and Mitsuko.
2) Are they a good match? Explain.
3) How do they interact with one another?
4) What are the qualities of their relationship?
5) Cite examples from the story proving their acceptance of one another and their role in the war.
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)