|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name Cannonball's mother is known as back home?
2. Chapter 19 What is the diagnosis given by Doc Rabbit about the young child who is carried on a stretcher by some villagers?
3. Why doesn't Hodges want to give food to the woman who asks for food for her child?
4. Who gives Gilliland a ride part of the way to meet his wife?
5. Chapter 2 What is the reason that Bobby Hodges enlists in the armed forces?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Senator wounded in the cemetery?
2. What does Hodges' mother do with the flag and gold medal she receives that Hodges earned while in the war?
3. What does Snake do when he sees Senator in the hole?
4. What is the Black Shack used for?
5. Why does a three star General arrive at Hodges' platoon?
6. What is Goodrich's reaction as the platoon walks through Go Noi Island?
7. Describe the circumstances when Cat Man arrives in America from Mexico?
8. What becomes of Baby Cakes, Ogre, and the engineer as they dig out an abandoned bomb?
9. Why does Dan disagree with Operation Lam Son 719?
10. What does Bagger explain to his Marine buddies when he gets back from R&R?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Describe the attitudes of the people in America toward the soldiers fighting in the war and those who return from the war.
2) Use examples from the letters and comments of the men who return home for R&R or are discharged after serving in Vietnam.
3) How do the comments about the people back in the states affect the men's morale?
4) How do they feel emotionally when they hear the comments from home?
Essay Topic 2
1) Analyze Goodrich's final acts in the story.
2) Was his character still misunderstood in the end? Justify the answer with examples from the story.
3) What alternatives did he have at the climax of the story?
Essay Topic 3
1) Interpret examples of human weakness and heroism depicted in the novel.
2) Cite examples of how each is valid with regard to the fear and danger each character encounters.
3) How realistic is Webb in his descriptions of these human qualities?
This section contains 1,640 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)