|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chapter 16 Where do black men go to talk about racism and an unjust world?
2. What happens to Austin as he dives to the ground to check on the bunkers?
3. Chapter 19 What is the diagnosis given by Doc Rabbit about the young child who is carried on a stretcher by some villagers?
4. What does Snake do when he sees the new recruits?
5. What does Cat Man do after he quits school at sixteen?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Cannonball decide to join the Marines instead of the Army?
2. What is the main reason Ronnie enlists in the Marines?
3. Why do the men tease Bagger when the song, "These Eyes" plays on the radio?
4. What is Goodrich's reaction as the platoon walks through Go Noi Island?
5. Describe Dan's family and what becomes of them?
6. What do Snake, Cannonball, Senator, Bagger, and Cat Man find when they go to look for the missing men?
7. What becomes of Baby Cakes, Ogre, and the engineer as they dig out an abandoned bomb?
8. Describe the circumstances when Cat Man arrives in America from Mexico?
9. What does Bobby Hodges awaken to his first night in Vietnam?
10. Explain the circumstances when Bagger enlists in the Marines.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Compare and contrast the characters of Hodges and Kersey.
2) Summarize the impact each character has on the story.
3) How is each character realistic in his view toward life, considering the time period in which the story takes place?
4) How do their roles as soldiers differ? Cite examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
1) What is the message Webb is trying to convey about life both in the states and in Vietnam during the war?
2) Does he depict a realistic and relevant view of human nature through the actions of the character during the Vietnam War?
3) Are the human qualities of each character true to life? Explain.
4) How do the characters convey the everyday struggles of life?
Essay Topic 3
1) Choose a character from the novel and discuss his role as a hero.
2) Sketch out ideas about heroism with regards to the thoughts and actions of the character.
3) Does the hero plan out his actions or act spontaneously? Use examples from the novel.
4) Is the hero realistic in his actions or does he seem superhuman? Defend the answer with examples from the novel.
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)