|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Goodrich decide to be in Bagger's team?
2. What does Snake do when he sees the new recruits?
3. Who goes to look for Baby Cakes and Ogre when they disappear?
4. Who gives Gilliland a ride part of the way to meet his wife?
5. Why doesn't Hodges want to give food to the woman who asks for food for her child?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Senator's college friends find ways to avoid the draft?
2. How does Gilliland reach Pismo Beach to meet his wife after being discharged from the Marines?
3. What does Bobby Hodges awaken to his first night in Vietnam?
4. Describe Dan's family and what becomes of them?
5. Describe the circumstances when Cat Man arrives in America from Mexico?
6. Explain the circumstances when Bagger enlists in the Marines.
7. Why does Snake give Goodrich the nickname, Senator?
8. Why does Cannonball decide to join the Marines instead of the Army?
9. What does Major Otto tell Hodges about the bush?
10. Why does Snake argue with Austin's order to send a platoon on the other side of the wire at the tree line for LP?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) What images does Webb use to describe the Killer Fields as the men cross through them?
2) How do these images have different meaning for different people?
Essay Topic 2
Goodrich presents moral dilemmas to his comrades' behavior throughout the novel.
1) How do Goodrich and the other men in his unit respond differently to their plights?
2) Which characters are more realistic in their responses to the dangers that they face and the moral questions they deal with?
3) Cite examples from the novel where Goodrich was adverse to the actions of the other men in his unit.
4) Whose actions are more realistic considering the situations they face?
Essay Topic 3
1) Analyze the image of the One Mile Killer Fields.
2) What do they symbolize?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)