Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Hodges thinking as he watches his men dying in Arizona Valley?
2. Chapter 5 What does Major Otto have on his arm that he received during his first tour of duty?
3. Who makes snide comments about the Chaplain who is leading a memorial service for the fallen men?
4. What changes Hodges' mind about being excited to be in the war?
5. Chapter 21 What is Snake's reaction at seeing Ogre and Baby Cakes again?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hodges notice in his old classmate that he meets in the mess hall?
2. What does Hodges see as he peers through the fog?
3. What is the result of the investigation of the banana trees just off the trail that Hodges' men are following?
4. How does Gilliland reach Pismo Beach to meet his wife after being discharged from the Marines?
5. What does Goodrich say to the crowd of anti-war protesters when they ask him to speak?
6. What is Hodges' reply when his classmate asks him if they can still win the war?
7. Why does a three star General arrive at Hodges' platoon?
8. What is the reaction of Hodges' son when Mitsuko takes him to see his father's memorial?
9. What does Snake do when he sees Senator in the hole?
10. What is Mitsuko's response when Hodges asks her to marry him?
Essay Topic 1
1) Analyze how Webb depicts the soldiers during the final battle of the novel.
2) What role does fate plays in their lives?
3) How does Webb make use of figurative language during the battle?
4) How do each of these things relate to Snake, Senator, and Hodges?
Essay Topic 2
1) Analyze the image of the One Mile Killer Fields.
2) What do they symbolize?
Essay Topic 3
1) Analyze Bobby Hodges' personality and emotional changes throughout the novel.
2) What fears and emotions does he experience as he grows during his time in Vietnam?
3) How do his attitudes change as he develops from a civilian to an experienced soldier?
4) Cite examples of the character changes Hodges goes through from different scenes in the novel.
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)