|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chapter 4 What is the injury that Ogre sustains during enemy fire?
2. What does Snake's mother find so frustrating about her son?
3. What does Speedy offer to give Senator when he says that he wants to resign from the Marines?
4. What does Cat Man do after he quits school at sixteen?
5. Chapter 17 Why does a new trench hole have to be dug by the Marines rather than their using an old trench hole?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the men always dig new fighting holes, rather than use old holes that they find?
2. What does Gilliland tell Hodges about the attitude of the civilians back in the States?
3. What are the villagers carrying as they approach Hodges and his men?
4. What does Bobby Hodges awaken to his first night in Vietnam?
5. How do Senator's college friends find ways to avoid the draft?
6. What is Goodrich's reaction as the platoon walks through Go Noi Island?
7. What does Speed suggest to Senator when Senator asks where he should go to resign from the Marines?
8. What does Major Otto tell Hodges about the bush?
9. How does Angus Austin become wounded?
10. What problems does Cannonball encounter in boot camp and Vietnam?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Analyze Goodrich's final acts in the story.
2) Was his character still misunderstood in the end? Justify the answer with examples from the story.
3) What alternatives did he have at the climax of the story?
Essay Topic 2
1) Describe the attitudes of the people in America toward the soldiers fighting in the war and those who return from the war.
2) Use examples from the letters and comments of the men who return home for R&R or are discharged after serving in Vietnam.
3) How do the comments about the people back in the states affect the men's morale?
4) How do they feel emotionally when they hear the comments from home?
Essay Topic 3
1) Analyze the image of the One Mile Killer Fields.
2) What do they symbolize?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)