|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Goodrich afraid to go to the flatlands?
2. Where do the men gather as the sun begins to fall?
3. How does Cat Man get his nickname?
4. Chapter 13 What is a sign that the enemy is near?
5. Chapter 20 Where is Gilliland meeting his wife on his last day as a Marine?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Goodrich's reaction as the platoon walks through Go Noi Island?
2. What unreasonable expectations does Angus Austin expect from the men?
3. What is the Black Shack used for?
4. Why is Bobby proud to enlist in the Marines?
5. What does Hodges consider unfair when he confronts the enemy in the village?
6. Why does Snake give Goodrich the nickname, Senator?
7. What problems does Cannonball encounter in boot camp and Vietnam?
8. What does Gilliland tell Hodges about the attitude of the civilians back in the States?
9. What becomes of Baby Cakes, Ogre, and the engineer as they dig out an abandoned bomb?
10. Describe Dan's family and what becomes of them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Naturalism emphasizes that humans act by instinct, similar to animals, or compulsively driven by circumstances beyond their control.
1) Summarize three figurative comparisons that suggest either the animal nature of Snake or the compulsive nature of his actions.
2) Explain the answers as examples of Naturalism.
Essay Topic 2
1) Analyze how Webb depicts the soldiers during the final battle of the novel.
2) What role does fate plays in their lives?
3) How does Webb make use of figurative language during the battle?
4) How do each of these things relate to Snake, Senator, and Hodges?
Essay Topic 3
1) Write an introduction to the novel discussing James Webb's writing style, use of dialogue, irony, imagery, and point of view of the characters.
2) How do these literary elements affect the story?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)