|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the worst enemy abuse that Goodrich remembers seeing?
2. What happens as Waterbull sits under his hooch looking at a picture?
3. Who is hit as Snake's company has point patrol in Go Noi?
4. What is Hodges thinking as he watches his men dying in Arizona Valley?
5. What is Hodges thinking when he sees that Flaky has been shot?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is wounded during enemy fire in An Hoa?
2. Describe the circumstances when Cat Man arrives in America from Mexico?
3. What is the result of the investigation of the banana trees just off the trail that Hodges' men are following?
4. Why does Snake argue with Austin's order to send a platoon on the other side of the wire at the tree line for LP?
5. What does Hodges consider unfair when he confronts the enemy in the village?
6. What problems does Cannonball encounter in boot camp and Vietnam?
7. Why do the men always dig new fighting holes, rather than use old holes that they find?
8. What does Bobby Hodges awaken to his first night in Vietnam?
9. What does Bagger explain to his Marine buddies when he gets back from R&R?
10. Why does Cannonball decide to join the Marines instead of the Army?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) What role does racism play in the novel?
2) Explain the relevance of the Black Shack and the effect it has on both the white and black soldiers.
3) Describe the unrest that racism causes between white and black men fighting and relying upon one another in battle.
4) Specifically, analyze the moral dilemma that Cannonball faces because of racism during the war.
Essay Topic 2
Naturalism emphasizes that humans act by instinct, similar to animals, or compulsively driven by circumstances beyond their control.
1) Summarize three figurative comparisons that suggest either the animal nature of Snake or the compulsive nature of his actions.
2) Explain the answers as examples of Naturalism.
Essay Topic 3
1) What images does Webb use to describe the Killer Fields as the men cross through them?
2) How do these images have different meaning for different people?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)