|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What takes place while Boomer and Gilliland inspect the Vietnamese soldier who is dressed like a mamasan?
2. What does Goodrich plan to do when he gets into the Marines?
3. Why does Sadler decide to dismantle the old bomb buried in the dirt?
4. What do the Marines do with the bodies of Baby Cakes and Ogre?
5. What happens as Waterbull sits under his hooch looking at a picture?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Bobby proud to enlist in the Marines?
2. How does Gilliland reach Pismo Beach to meet his wife after being discharged from the Marines?
3. Why does Snake give Goodrich the nickname, Senator?
4. What is the result of the investigation of the banana trees just off the trail that Hodges' men are following?
5. Why do the men always dig new fighting holes, rather than use old holes that they find?
6. What does Speed suggest to Senator when Senator asks where he should go to resign from the Marines?
7. What do Snake, Cannonball, Senator, Bagger, and Cat Man find when they go to look for the missing men?
8. What is Goodrich's reaction as the platoon walks through Go Noi Island?
9. What does Hodges consider unfair when he confronts the enemy in the village?
10. What becomes of Baby Cakes, Ogre, and the engineer as they dig out an abandoned bomb?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Analyze Bobby Hodges' personality and emotional changes throughout the novel.
2) What fears and emotions does he experience as he grows during his time in Vietnam?
3) How do his attitudes change as he develops from a civilian to an experienced soldier?
4) Cite examples of the character changes Hodges goes through from different scenes in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
1) Compare and contrast the characters of Hodges and Kersey.
2) Summarize the impact each character has on the story.
3) How is each character realistic in his view toward life, considering the time period in which the story takes place?
4) How do their roles as soldiers differ? Cite examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Each of the characters presented in Hodges' unit had different reasons for enlisting in the Marines.
1) Summarize the reasons of at least four of the characters in the novel.
2) Compare the character's views when they enlisted to their attitudes toward the Marines once they are actually serving in Vietnam.
3) How does each of the characters lose their innocent view of their role in the war? Cite examples from the novel.
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)