|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do four hippies sitting outside a restaurant call Gilliland?
2. Where is Goodrich attending college when he decides to enlist in the Marines?
3. How do the civilians in America treat Gilliland when he returns home wearing his uniform?
4. Chapter 4 What is the injury that Ogre sustains during enemy fire?
5. Chapter 22 How many of Bagger's football team joined the Marines at the same time?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Dan's family and what becomes of them?
2. Why do the men tease Bagger when the song, "These Eyes" plays on the radio?
3. Why does Goodrich want to join Bagger's team?
4. What does Hodges consider unfair when he confronts the enemy in the village?
5. Describe the circumstances when Cat Man arrives in America from Mexico?
6. Explain the circumstances when Bagger enlists in the Marines.
7. What unreasonable expectations does Angus Austin expect from the men?
8. What does Major Otto tell Hodges about the bush?
9. What is Goodrich's reaction as the platoon walks through Go Noi Island?
10. Why do the men always dig new fighting holes, rather than use old holes that they find?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Interpret examples of human weakness and heroism depicted in the novel.
2) Cite examples of how each is valid with regard to the fear and danger each character encounters.
3) How realistic is Webb in his descriptions of these human qualities?
Essay Topic 2
1) Describe the attitudes of the people in America toward the soldiers fighting in the war and those who return from the war.
2) Use examples from the letters and comments of the men who return home for R&R or are discharged after serving in Vietnam.
3) How do the comments about the people back in the states affect the men's morale?
4) How do they feel emotionally when they hear the comments from home?
Essay Topic 3
Each of the characters presented in Hodges' unit had different reasons for enlisting in the Marines.
1) Summarize the reasons of at least four of the characters in the novel.
2) Compare the character's views when they enlisted to their attitudes toward the Marines once they are actually serving in Vietnam.
3) How does each of the characters lose their innocent view of their role in the war? Cite examples from the novel.
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)