|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What news does the patrol read about in a newspaper from home?
2. What is the Reverend's view on racism?
3. What does Dan give a mamasan to give to her children?
4. Which member of Snake's platoon loses his leg?
5. Who gives Gilliland a ride part of the way to meet his wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gilliland reach Pismo Beach to meet his wife after being discharged from the Marines?
2. What kind of childhood did Phony experience?
3. Describe the circumstances when Cat Man arrives in America from Mexico?
4. Why does Goodrich want to join Bagger's team?
5. What does Bagger explain to his Marine buddies when he gets back from R&R?
6. What does Speed suggest to Senator when Senator asks where he should go to resign from the Marines?
7. What does Gilliland tell Hodges about the attitude of the civilians back in the States?
8. How does Angus Austin become wounded?
9. What is the Black Shack used for?
10. What is Goodrich's reaction as the platoon walks through Go Noi Island?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Analyze Bobby Hodges' personality and emotional changes throughout the novel.
2) What fears and emotions does he experience as he grows during his time in Vietnam?
3) How do his attitudes change as he develops from a civilian to an experienced soldier?
4) Cite examples of the character changes Hodges goes through from different scenes in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
1) Analyze the image of the One Mile Killer Fields.
2) What do they symbolize?
Essay Topic 3
Each of the characters presented in Hodges' unit had different reasons for enlisting in the Marines.
1) Summarize the reasons of at least four of the characters in the novel.
2) Compare the character's views when they enlisted to their attitudes toward the Marines once they are actually serving in Vietnam.
3) How does each of the characters lose their innocent view of their role in the war? Cite examples from the novel.
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)