|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which member of Snake's platoon loses his leg?
2. What does Dan give a mamasan to give to her children?
3. What is Hodges thinking when he sees that Flaky has been shot?
4. Why doesn't Hodges want to give food to the woman who asks for food for her child?
5. What does Major Otto tell Hodges about Arizona Valley?
Short Essay Questions
1. What becomes of Dan and his men when they are on the road to Laos?
2. Why does a three star General arrive at Hodges' platoon?
3. What does Bobby Hodges awaken to his first night in Vietnam?
4. What is Kersey's reply when Hodges asks if there is anywhere dry where his men can wait out of the rain?
5. What do Snake, Cannonball, Senator, Bagger, and Cat Man find when they go to look for the missing men?
6. What are the results of the investigation into Snake's participation in the killing of the civilian's that Senator reported?
7. What is Snake's mother doing two years after he is killed in Vietnam?
8. Who is wounded during enemy fire in An Hoa?
9. What is the reaction of Hodges' son when Mitsuko takes him to see his father's memorial?
10. What does Waterbull tell the men in the letter he sends to the unit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Analyze Bobby Hodges' personality and emotional changes throughout the novel.
2) What fears and emotions does he experience as he grows during his time in Vietnam?
3) How do his attitudes change as he develops from a civilian to an experienced soldier?
4) Cite examples of the character changes Hodges goes through from different scenes in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
1) What role does racism play in the novel?
2) Explain the relevance of the Black Shack and the effect it has on both the white and black soldiers.
3) Describe the unrest that racism causes between white and black men fighting and relying upon one another in battle.
4) Specifically, analyze the moral dilemma that Cannonball faces because of racism during the war.
Essay Topic 3
1) What is the message Webb is trying to convey about life both in the states and in Vietnam during the war?
2) Does he depict a realistic and relevant view of human nature through the actions of the character during the Vietnam War?
3) Are the human qualities of each character true to life? Explain.
4) How do the characters convey the everyday struggles of life?
This section contains 1,621 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)