|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dan give a mamasan to give to her children?
2. Where do Snake and Hodges plan to ambush next?
3. What is the plan Senator devises to make him sick enough to go for treatment to the Battalion Aid Station?
4. Who gives Gilliland a ride part of the way to meet his wife?
5. What does Bagger do when he hears the song, These Eyes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Speed suggest to Senator when Senator asks where he should go to resign from the Marines?
2. What does Hodges consider unfair when he confronts the enemy in the village?
3. Why does Snake argue with Austin's order to send a platoon on the other side of the wire at the tree line for LP?
4. Why is Bobby proud to enlist in the Marines?
5. Why does Cannonball decide to join the Marines instead of the Army?
6. What does Gilliland tell Hodges about the attitude of the civilians back in the States?
7. What is Goodrich's reaction as the platoon walks through Go Noi Island?
8. How does Angus Austin become wounded?
9. What does Bobby Hodges awaken to his first night in Vietnam?
10. What is the Black Shack used for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Choose a character from the novel and discuss his role as a hero.
2) Sketch out ideas about heroism with regards to the thoughts and actions of the character.
3) Does the hero plan out his actions or act spontaneously? Use examples from the novel.
4) Is the hero realistic in his actions or does he seem superhuman? Defend the answer with examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
1) What role does racism play in the novel?
2) Explain the relevance of the Black Shack and the effect it has on both the white and black soldiers.
3) Describe the unrest that racism causes between white and black men fighting and relying upon one another in battle.
4) Specifically, analyze the moral dilemma that Cannonball faces because of racism during the war.
Essay Topic 3
Goodrich is one of the main constants throughout the novel. He is mentioned in all parts of the story and everyone's life seems to revolve around him.
1) Explain how Goodrich and the characters intertwine as the book progresses.
2) What relationship does he have with Hodges, Snake, Bagger, Phony, Mark, and his parents?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)