|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Hodges thinking as he watches his men dying in Arizona Valley?
2. Chapter 5 What does Major Otto have on his arm that he received during his first tour of duty?
3. Who makes snide comments about the Chaplain who is leading a memorial service for the fallen men?
4. What changes Hodges' mind about being excited to be in the war?
5. Chapter 21 What is Snake's reaction at seeing Ogre and Baby Cakes again?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hodges notice in his old classmate that he meets in the mess hall?
2. What does Hodges see as he peers through the fog?
3. What is the result of the investigation of the banana trees just off the trail that Hodges' men are following?
4. How does Gilliland reach Pismo Beach to meet his wife after being discharged from the Marines?
5. What does Goodrich say to the crowd of anti-war protesters when they ask him to speak?
6. What is Hodges' reply when his classmate asks him if they can still win the war?
7. Why does a three star General arrive at Hodges' platoon?
8. What is the reaction of Hodges' son when Mitsuko takes him to see his father's memorial?
9. What does Snake do when he sees Senator in the hole?
10. What is Mitsuko's response when Hodges asks her to marry him?
Essay Topic 1
1) Analyze the image of the One Mile Killer Fields.
2) What do they symbolize?
Essay Topic 2
1) Interpret examples of human weakness and heroism depicted in the novel.
2) Cite examples of how each is valid with regard to the fear and danger each character encounters.
3) How realistic is Webb in his descriptions of these human qualities?
Essay Topic 3
1) What images does Webb use to describe the Killer Fields as the men cross through them?
2) How do these images have different meaning for different people?
This section contains 1,602 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)