Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Hodges thinking as he watches his men dying in Arizona Valley?
2. Chapter 5 What does Major Otto have on his arm that he received during his first tour of duty?
3. Who makes snide comments about the Chaplain who is leading a memorial service for the fallen men?
4. What changes Hodges' mind about being excited to be in the war?
5. Chapter 21 What is Snake's reaction at seeing Ogre and Baby Cakes again?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hodges notice in his old classmate that he meets in the mess hall?
2. What does Hodges see as he peers through the fog?
3. What is the result of the investigation of the banana trees just off the trail that Hodges' men are following?
4. How does Gilliland reach Pismo Beach to meet his wife after being discharged from the Marines?
5. What does Goodrich say to the crowd of anti-war protesters when they ask him to speak?
6. What is Hodges' reply when his classmate asks him if they can still win the war?
7. Why does a three star General arrive at Hodges' platoon?
8. What is the reaction of Hodges' son when Mitsuko takes him to see his father's memorial?
9. What does Snake do when he sees Senator in the hole?
10. What is Mitsuko's response when Hodges asks her to marry him?
Essay Topic 1
1) Describe the unexpected act of Goodrich when he speaks at the anti-war rally.
2) Why does he think Snake would be proud of his actions?
3) What evidence of change takes place in Goodrich's personality?
4) How does he regard himself in this new role he makes for himself?
Essay Topic 2
1) Describe the attitudes of the people in America toward the soldiers fighting in the war and those who return from the war.
2) Use examples from the letters and comments of the men who return home for R&R or are discharged after serving in Vietnam.
3) How do the comments about the people back in the states affect the men's morale?
4) How do they feel emotionally when they hear the comments from home?
Essay Topic 3
1) Evaluate the relationship between Hodges and Mitsuko.
2) Are they a good match? Explain.
3) How do they interact with one another?
4) What are the qualities of their relationship?
5) Cite examples from the story proving their acceptance of one another and their role in the war.
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)