|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Cat Man get his nickname?
2. What effect does the Army have on Cannonball's brother?
3. Who gives Gilliland a ride part of the way to meet his wife?
4. Where is Goodrich attending college when he decides to enlist in the Marines?
5. What is Goodrich's strength as he sits contemplating after the battle?
Short Essay Questions
1. What problems does Cannonball encounter in boot camp and Vietnam?
2. Why do the men tease Bagger when the song, "These Eyes" plays on the radio?
3. Why does Snake argue with Austin's order to send a platoon on the other side of the wire at the tree line for LP?
4. What does Hodges consider unfair when he confronts the enemy in the village?
5. How do Senator's college friends find ways to avoid the draft?
6. What do Snake, Cannonball, Senator, Bagger, and Cat Man find when they go to look for the missing men?
7. Why is Bobby proud to enlist in the Marines?
8. What is the main reason Ronnie enlists in the Marines?
9. What does Gilliland tell Hodges about the attitude of the civilians back in the States?
10. What does Major Otto tell Hodges about the bush?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) What is the message Webb is trying to convey about life both in the states and in Vietnam during the war?
2) Does he depict a realistic and relevant view of human nature through the actions of the character during the Vietnam War?
3) Are the human qualities of each character true to life? Explain.
4) How do the characters convey the everyday struggles of life?
Essay Topic 2
1) Discuss how Goodrich grows as a character from the beginning of the novel to the end.
2) How do his attitudes change toward the Vietnam War?
3) How does his attitude about his classmates change?
4) What are the differences in his attitude toward war protesters from the beginning to the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
1) What role does racism play in the novel?
2) Explain the relevance of the Black Shack and the effect it has on both the white and black soldiers.
3) Describe the unrest that racism causes between white and black men fighting and relying upon one another in battle.
4) Specifically, analyze the moral dilemma that Cannonball faces because of racism during the war.
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)