|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chapter 21 What is Snake's reaction at seeing Ogre and Baby Cakes again?
2. What is the name Cannonball's mother is known as back home?
3. What is the plan Senator devises to make him sick enough to go for treatment to the Battalion Aid Station?
4. What news does the patrol read about in a newspaper from home?
5. Chapter 9 What type of man is Angus Austin, the new Platoon Sergeant?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the result of the investigation of the banana trees just off the trail that Hodges' men are following?
2. What does Hodges consider unfair when he confronts the enemy in the village?
3. What does Bagger explain to his Marine buddies when he gets back from R&R?
4. What kind of childhood did Phony experience?
5. What is the main reason Ronnie enlists in the Marines?
6. How does Gilliland reach Pismo Beach to meet his wife after being discharged from the Marines?
7. Why do the men always dig new fighting holes, rather than use old holes that they find?
8. How does Angus Austin become wounded?
9. Why does Snake argue with Austin's order to send a platoon on the other side of the wire at the tree line for LP?
10. Why does Goodrich want to join Bagger's team?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) What images does Webb use to describe the Killer Fields as the men cross through them?
2) How do these images have different meaning for different people?
Essay Topic 2
1) Choose a character from the novel and discuss his role as a hero.
2) Sketch out ideas about heroism with regards to the thoughts and actions of the character.
3) Does the hero plan out his actions or act spontaneously? Use examples from the novel.
4) Is the hero realistic in his actions or does he seem superhuman? Defend the answer with examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
1) What role does racism play in the novel?
2) Explain the relevance of the Black Shack and the effect it has on both the white and black soldiers.
3) Describe the unrest that racism causes between white and black men fighting and relying upon one another in battle.
4) Specifically, analyze the moral dilemma that Cannonball faces because of racism during the war.
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)