|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chapter 1 What does Snake do when he encounters Smack-man?
2. Where do Snake and Hodges plan to ambush next?
3. Chapter 12 What kind of a childhood did Phony have?
4. What does Roland decide to do when he receives his draft notice?
5. Chapter 13 What is a sign that the enemy is near?
Short Essay Questions
1. What problems does Cannonball encounter in boot camp and Vietnam?
2. What is the Black Shack used for?
3. Why does Snake argue with Austin's order to send a platoon on the other side of the wire at the tree line for LP?
4. Describe the circumstances when Cat Man arrives in America from Mexico?
5. What does Speed suggest to Senator when Senator asks where he should go to resign from the Marines?
6. Why do the men always dig new fighting holes, rather than use old holes that they find?
7. What do Snake, Cannonball, Senator, Bagger, and Cat Man find when they go to look for the missing men?
8. What kind of childhood did Phony experience?
9. What is the main reason Ronnie enlists in the Marines?
10. What unreasonable expectations does Angus Austin expect from the men?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Evaluate the relationship between Hodges and Mitsuko.
2) Are they a good match? Explain.
3) How do they interact with one another?
4) What are the qualities of their relationship?
5) Cite examples from the story proving their acceptance of one another and their role in the war.
Essay Topic 2
1) Analyze the image of the One Mile Killer Fields.
2) What do they symbolize?
Essay Topic 3
1) Analyze how Webb depicts the soldiers during the final battle of the novel.
2) What role does fate plays in their lives?
3) How does Webb make use of figurative language during the battle?
4) How do each of these things relate to Snake, Senator, and Hodges?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)