|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Cat Man get his nickname?
2. When Dan surrenders to the Marines, what position do they offer him?
3. What does Goodrich plan to do when he gets into the Marines?
4. Why doesn't Baby Cakes want Ogre with him?
5. What condition are Ogre and Baby Cakes in when they are found?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Dan's family and what becomes of them?
2. What is the result of the investigation of the banana trees just off the trail that Hodges' men are following?
3. What are the villagers carrying as they approach Hodges and his men?
4. What is the reaction of Hodges' son when Mitsuko takes him to see his father's memorial?
5. What does Hodges notice in his old classmate that he meets in the mess hall?
6. What kind of childhood did Phony experience?
7. What is the Black Shack used for?
8. What does Speed suggest to Senator when Senator asks where he should go to resign from the Marines?
9. Why does Cannonball decide to join the Marines instead of the Army?
10. Why does a three star General arrive at Hodges' platoon?
Essay Topic 1
1) Describe the unexpected act of Goodrich when he speaks at the anti-war rally.
2) Why does he think Snake would be proud of his actions?
3) What evidence of change takes place in Goodrich's personality?
4) How does he regard himself in this new role he makes for himself?
Essay Topic 2
1) Evaluate the relationship between Hodges and Mitsuko.
2) Are they a good match? Explain.
3) How do they interact with one another?
4) What are the qualities of their relationship?
5) Cite examples from the story proving their acceptance of one another and their role in the war.
Essay Topic 3
1) Evaluate the elements of cause and effect in this story using examples from the novel.
2) Choose three events from the story which cause Senator's life to undergo a change.
3) How does he react to the events and their effects?
4) How does he grow emotionally in his own life and in his attitude toward the people in his life because of these changes?
This section contains 1,551 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)