|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dan give a mamasan to give to her children?
2. Chapter 5 What does Major Otto have on his arm that he received during his first tour of duty?
3. Chapter 14 What is Gilliland looking forward to after his ten years of military service?
4. What does Goodrich plan to do when he gets into the Marines?
5. What condition are Ogre and Baby Cakes in when they are found?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gilliland tell Hodges about the attitude of the civilians back in the States?
2. Explain the circumstances when Bagger enlists in the Marines.
3. What problems does Cannonball encounter in boot camp and Vietnam?
4. Describe the circumstances when Cat Man arrives in America from Mexico?
5. What unreasonable expectations does Angus Austin expect from the men?
6. Why do the men always dig new fighting holes, rather than use old holes that they find?
7. What does Bobby Hodges awaken to his first night in Vietnam?
8. Why does Snake give Goodrich the nickname, Senator?
9. How do Senator's college friends find ways to avoid the draft?
10. What does Hodges consider unfair when he confronts the enemy in the village?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Analyze the image of the One Mile Killer Fields.
2) What do they symbolize?
Essay Topic 2
1) Analyze how Webb depicts the soldiers during the final battle of the novel.
2) What role does fate plays in their lives?
3) How does Webb make use of figurative language during the battle?
4) How do each of these things relate to Snake, Senator, and Hodges?
Essay Topic 3
Goodrich is one of the main constants throughout the novel. He is mentioned in all parts of the story and everyone's life seems to revolve around him.
1) Explain how Goodrich and the characters intertwine as the book progresses.
2) What relationship does he have with Hodges, Snake, Bagger, Phony, Mark, and his parents?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)