|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What takes place while Boomer and Gilliland inspect the Vietnamese soldier who is dressed like a mamasan?
2. Who gives Gilliland a ride part of the way to meet his wife?
3. How is Big Mac killed?
4. Chapter 12 What kind of a childhood did Phony have?
5. What does Cat Man believe he is meant to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the villagers carrying as they approach Hodges and his men?
2. Why does Goodrich want to join Bagger's team?
3. What is the result of the investigation of the banana trees just off the trail that Hodges' men are following?
4. What is Goodrich's reaction as the platoon walks through Go Noi Island?
5. What does Major Otto tell Hodges about the bush?
6. What problems does Cannonball encounter in boot camp and Vietnam?
7. Who is wounded during enemy fire in An Hoa?
8. How does Angus Austin become wounded?
9. What becomes of Baby Cakes, Ogre, and the engineer as they dig out an abandoned bomb?
10. Why do the men tease Bagger when the song, "These Eyes" plays on the radio?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Goodrich presents moral dilemmas to his comrades' behavior throughout the novel.
1) How do Goodrich and the other men in his unit respond differently to their plights?
2) Which characters are more realistic in their responses to the dangers that they face and the moral questions they deal with?
3) Cite examples from the novel where Goodrich was adverse to the actions of the other men in his unit.
4) Whose actions are more realistic considering the situations they face?
Essay Topic 2
1) Evaluate the elements of cause and effect in this story using examples from the novel.
2) Choose three events from the story which cause Senator's life to undergo a change.
3) How does he react to the events and their effects?
4) How does he grow emotionally in his own life and in his attitude toward the people in his life because of these changes?
Essay Topic 3
1) Discuss how Goodrich grows as a character from the beginning of the novel to the end.
2) How do his attitudes change toward the Vietnam War?
3) How does his attitude about his classmates change?
4) What are the differences in his attitude toward war protesters from the beginning to the end of the novel?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)