|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the worst enemy abuse that Goodrich remembers seeing?
(a) Two Vietnamese soldiers thrown into a pit of bodies
(b) Two Vietnamese soldiers, scorched from head to foot and blinded, come to the camp to surrender.
(c) Food is taken away from a Vietnamese woman and child
(d) A Vietnamese soldier is shot in the knee and thrown in the water.
2. Chapter 14
What is Gilliland looking forward to after his ten years of military service?
(a) Rest and relaxation
(b) Working as a private detective
(c) Joining the police force
(d) Travelling across the USA
3. Chapter 22
How many of Bagger's football team joined the Marines at the same time?
4. Chapter 17
Why does a new trench hole have to be dug by the Marines rather than their using an old trench hole?
(a) It is bad luck to use an old hole.
(b) The old hole is usually rancid from overuse.
(c) The old hole is unsafe and likely to cave in.
(d) The old hole could be booby-trapped or known by the enemy.
5. What changes Hodges' mind about being excited to be in the war?
(a) The severed hand of a soldier lands near him when a bomb goes off fifty feet from his cot.
(b) He is slightly injured as he lies on his cot.
(c) He is not assigned to the unit he wanted.
(d) He doesn't like being in the jungle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the one thing that Austin tells Hodges he won't tolerate?
2. Chapter 18 How much more time does Gilliland have to serve in the military?
3. What is Cannonball's reaction to Homicide's comments about fighting a white man's war?
4. Why are the villagers told they have to keep walking even after Hodges says that he will transport them to the resettlement village in a Medevac?
5. Chapter 7 Who does a great job digging and engineering two holes that Hodges notices?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the villagers carrying as they approach Hodges and his men?
2. What is the main reason Ronnie enlists in the Marines?
3. Why do the men always dig new fighting holes, rather than use old holes that they find?
4. How do Senator's college friends find ways to avoid the draft?
5. What is Goodrich's reaction as the platoon walks through Go Noi Island?
6. Who is wounded during enemy fire in An Hoa?
7. What does Bagger explain to his Marine buddies when he gets back from R&R?
8. Why do the men tease Bagger when the song, "These Eyes" plays on the radio?
9. What problems does Cannonball encounter in boot camp and Vietnam?
10. What is the result of the investigation of the banana trees just off the trail that Hodges' men are following?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)