|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Jones sent back to the World?
(a) An abdominal wound
(b) A leg wound
2. What are the men wearing as they gather in the road to get in the convoy headed for battle?
(a) They are travelling light.
(b) They are carrying only their rifles.
(c) They are fully burdened with guns and ammunition.
(d) They have no weapons until they reach their destination.
3. What does Goodrich do after a few months back home?
(a) He goes to visit friends across country.
(b) He returns to Harvard.
(c) He gets a job in a hospital.
(d) He gets a job at a gas station.
4. What is announced at the platoon formation?
(a) The discharge of many of the men
(b) The nicknames of the new men
(c) The deployment of the men
(d) The various medals the men will be receiving.
5. What does Hodges think about his situation as the enemy begins bombing?
(a) He thinks that he was bred to be a warrior.
(b) He thinks that he was never meant to be in this war.
(c) He thinks that he was meant to be a peace keeper.
(d) He thinks that he was meant to be a chaplain.
6. What is Hodges' reaction to Goodrich's insults?
(a) He is silently livid.
(b) He is amused.
(c) He is not bothered by it.
(d) He is angry and ready for a fight.
7. What is it called when helicopters drop aviation fuel into the rice seed beds?
(a) Operation Enemy Denial
(b) Operation Rice Denial
(c) Operation Dead Seed
(d) Operation Rice Wipe Out
8. How do people react to Hitoshi when he is out in public?
(a) They offer him gifts.
(b) They stare at him and tease him.
(c) They honor him because he is half American.
(d) They bow to him.
9. What does Hodges read into the look that Kersey gives him about the attack on the OP?
(a) I'm sorry.
(b) I'm willing to help.
(c) I'm afraid.
(d) It's your war, not mine.
10. What does Snake do after he gives the news to Bugs?
(a) He goes for a walk around the perimeter.
(b) He climbs onto the roof of a sandbag bunker and looks across the fields.
(c) He leaves, regretting his decision immediately.
(d) He jogs through the camp.
11. What offer does the Major make to Hodges?
(a) He offers Hodges an honorable discharge.
(b) He offers Hodges a collectible rifle.
(c) He offers Hodges a rank promotion.
(d) He offers Hodges a position in Okinawa.
12. What does a Vietnamese boy offer to sell to the soldiers as they work?
(c) His sister
13. What is Goodrich's view of bush justice?
(a) He feels that they are justified in killing the Vietnamese.
(b) He feels that it is just the way of war.
(c) He believes they have no right to play God.
(d) He doesn't like it but he will participate.
14. What is the duty the men are leaving for when they climb into the truck?
(a) Rear patrol
(b) Rescue a POW
(c) Searching for booby traps
(d) Sand bag duty
15. What is Mitsuko's answer when Hitoshi asks why Hodges died in Vietnam?
(a) She explains that Hodges was a warrior in Vietnam.
(b) She tells the boy that Hodges was a coward in Vietnam.
(c) She says that Hodges made bad decisions in Vietnam.
(d) She says that Hodges never should have been in Vietnam.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the reaction of Mitsuko's mother at Hodges' marriage proposal?
2. What is Kersey's reply when Hodges asks him if there is somewhere his men can hold up until the fighting starts?
3. What advice does Goodrich give to his friend Mark who arrives from Canada after evading the draft?
4. What does Hodges' seven year old son believe his father did?
5. How does Mitsuko think of Hodges?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)