|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Goodrich's strength as he sits contemplating after the battle?
(a) Memories of his girlfriend
(b) The ghosts of his past
(c) The men in his unit
(d) His happy memories of home
2. What does Cannonball need to help digest all the changes taking place in the black community?
(a) He needs the Reverend's words every Sunday.
(b) He needs his mother's advice.
(c) He needs his father's strict hand.
(d) He needs his fellow brother's defiant words.
3. Chapter 19
What is the diagnosis given by Doc Rabbit about the young child who is carried on a stretcher by some villagers?
(a) He is sure to die.
(b) He will be blinded from his head wound.
(c) He will recover fully.
(d) He will be a vegetable for the rest of his life.
4. Why doesn't Baby Cakes want Ogre with him?
(a) Ogre can't be trusted.
(b) Ogre almost got him shot earlier.
(c) Ogre never shuts up.
(d) Ogre has annoying habits.
5. What effect does the Army have on Cannonball's brother?
(a) The Army gives him confidence.
(b) The Army makes him proud to be black.
(c) The Army makes a new man of him.
(d) The Army destroys him.
6. Chapter 12
What kind of a childhood did Phony have?
(a) A happy childhood in a foster home
(b) A rough childhood in foster homes
(c) An unhappy childhood with his parents
(d) A happy childhood with his parents
7. What does Bagger do before he leaves for war?
(a) He spends the night with his parents.
(b) He marries his pregnant girlfriend.
(c) He spends the night alone, regretting his decision.
(d) He has a party with his buddies.
8. Chapter 15
Why does Dan leave his family to fight in the war?
(a) He needs the weekly income.
(b) He feels it is his duty.
(c) He does it to protect his family.
(d) He takes his fallen brother's place in the war.
9. Why does Phony join the Marines?
(a) He wants to atone for his bad decisions.
(b) He will come out of the military with a clean record.
(c) He wants to be a hero.
(d) He wants to serve his country.
10. Why does Goodrich decide to be in Bagger's team?
(a) Goodrich doesn't get along with anyone on his own team.
(b) Goodrich wants to harass Bagger.
(c) Goodrich is going to make Bagger toughen up.
(d) Goodrich feels he and Bagger are alike.
11. Who is hit as Snake's company has point patrol in Go Noi?
(a) Wild Man and Bagger
(b) Snake and Wild Man
(c) Bagger and Chuck
(d) Doc and Bagger
12. Who gives Gilliland a ride part of the way to meet his wife?
(a) An old buddy
(b) A religious family
(c) An anti-war activist
(d) An ex-Marine
13. Chapter 3
Where is Hodges processed and briefed?
(a) Da Nang
(c) An Hoa
14. Why doesn't Hodges want to give food to the woman who asks for food for her child?
(a) Hodges says that there isn't enough food to go around.
(b) Hodges says that it will go to the VC.
(c) Hodges hates everyone in Vietnam.
(d) Hodges says that the hungry child is better off dead.
15. What do the Marines do with the bodies of Baby Cakes and Ogre?
(a) They bury them.
(b) They carry them back to camp on stretchers.
(c) They say a prayer over the bodies.
(d) They leave them behind.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the men gather as the sun begins to fall?
2. Before Snake enlists in the Marines, what type of tattoo does he get?
3. Chapter 13 What is a sign that the enemy is near?
4. Chapter 21 What is Snake's reaction at seeing Ogre and Baby Cakes again?
5. What is Hodges thinking when he sees that Flaky has been shot?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)