|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Austin rip off Phony's back?
(a) Phony's shirt with a peace sign on it
(b) Phony's backpack
(c) Phony's bed roll
(d) Phony's rifle
2. What does Bagger realize after he goes home to his wife and child for some R&R?
(a) He feels more comfortable in the bush.
(b) He wants to spend every minute with his child.
(c) He wishes he never joined the Marines.
(d) He wishes he could stay home.
3. Who gives Gilliland a ride part of the way to meet his wife?
(a) An anti-war activist
(b) An old buddy
(c) A religious family
(d) An ex-Marine
4. What does Cannonball need to help digest all the changes taking place in the black community?
(a) He needs his mother's advice.
(b) He needs the Reverend's words every Sunday.
(c) He needs his fellow brother's defiant words.
(d) He needs his father's strict hand.
5. What does Dan give a mamasan to give to her children?
(a) Three cans of C-ration meat
(b) A can of fruit
(c) A chocolate bar
(d) A wooden car he whittled
6. Chapter 23
What does Hodges remember about the North Vietnamese when he sees Cat Man near a banana tree?
(a) He remembers that the North Vietnamese sleep in the banana trees.
(b) He remembers that the North Vietnamese lay under the banana trees for shade.
(c) He remembers that the North Vietnamese are superstitious about banana trees.
(d) He remembers that the North Vietnamese never eat bananas.
7. Why doesn't Baby Cakes want Ogre with him?
(a) Ogre never shuts up.
(b) Ogre has annoying habits.
(c) Ogre almost got him shot earlier.
(d) Ogre can't be trusted.
8. What news does the patrol read about in a newspaper from home?
(a) They read about war protesters in Washington, D.C.
(b) They read about the first man on the moon.
(c) They read about riots on the streets.
(d) They read about more men being sent to Vietnam for duty.
9. Chapter 1
What does Snake do when he encounters Smack-man?
(a) He buys dope from him.
(b) He threatens him with a knife.
(c) He kicks him furiously in the head.
(d) He sells dope to him.
10. Chapter 7
Who does a great job digging and engineering two holes that Hodges notices?
(c) The Vietnamese enemy
11. Who makes snide comments about the Chaplain who is leading a memorial service for the fallen men?
(a) Senator, Snake, and Flaky
(b) Senator, Bagger, and Ottenburger
(c) Senator, Cat Man, and Flaky
(d) Snake, Cat Man, and Flaky
12. What does Cannonball do to get out on the Medevac?
(a) He shoots himself in the leg.
(b) He cuts off his thumb.
(c) He frags himself in the buttocks.
(d) He eats rotten food.
13. Chapter 8
How does Senator's friend, John Grimsley, get out of going to Vietnam?
(a) He cuts off his finger.
(b) He goes to Canada.
(c) He is given a psychological deferment.
(d) He shoots himself in the foot.
14. Before Snake enlists in the Marines, what type of tattoo does he get?
(a) An eagle and an American flag
(b) An evil clown
(c) A skull encircled with two snakes that reads "Death before Dishonor"
(d) A tattoo that says, MOM
15. What does Bagger do when he hears the song, These Eyes?
(a) He gets up and dances with an invisible partner.
(b) He sings along, even in battle.
(c) He starts crying.
(d) He looks at pictures of his wife and son.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Goodrich attending college when he decides to enlist in the Marines?
2. Why does Snake argue with Austin about the LP duty assignment?
3. What does Roland decide to do when he receives his draft notice?
4. What do four hippies sitting outside a restaurant call Gilliland?
5. What does Snake do when he sees the new recruits?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)