|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Chapter 6
Why is Hodges envious of the men he meets in the bush?
(a) They faced the enemy and prevailed.
(b) They have never faced the enemy in battle.
(c) They have plenty of food and water.
(d) They are leaving for home in one week.
2. What does Cannonball do to get out on the Medevac?
(a) He cuts off his thumb.
(b) He shoots himself in the leg.
(c) He eats rotten food.
(d) He frags himself in the buttocks.
3. Chapter 12
What kind of a childhood did Phony have?
(a) A happy childhood with his parents
(b) A rough childhood in foster homes
(c) An unhappy childhood with his parents
(d) A happy childhood in a foster home
4. What news does the patrol read about in a newspaper from home?
(a) They read about more men being sent to Vietnam for duty.
(b) They read about the first man on the moon.
(c) They read about war protesters in Washington, D.C.
(d) They read about riots on the streets.
5. What is the worst enemy abuse that Goodrich remembers seeing?
(a) Two Vietnamese soldiers thrown into a pit of bodies
(b) A Vietnamese soldier is shot in the knee and thrown in the water.
(c) Food is taken away from a Vietnamese woman and child
(d) Two Vietnamese soldiers, scorched from head to foot and blinded, come to the camp to surrender.
6. What does Major Otto tell Hodges about Arizona Valley?
(a) It is hidden from the enemy.
(b) It is one of the quiet spots in the jungle.
(c) It's not as bad as everyone says.
(d) There is no hot food, no clean clothes, and blood and guts every day.
7. Chapter 7
Who does a great job digging and engineering two holes that Hodges notices?
(b) The Vietnamese enemy
8. Chapter 3
Where is Hodges processed and briefed?
(c) An Hoa
(d) Da Nang
9. Chapter 4
What is the injury that Ogre sustains during enemy fire?
(a) He is grazed across his temple.
(b) His leg is bleeding badly.
(c) His arm is broken.
(d) He is shot in the shoulder.
10. Why doesn't Baby Cakes want Ogre with him?
(a) Ogre almost got him shot earlier.
(b) Ogre can't be trusted.
(c) Ogre has annoying habits.
(d) Ogre never shuts up.
11. Chapter 17
Why does a new trench hole have to be dug by the Marines rather than their using an old trench hole?
(a) The old hole is usually rancid from overuse.
(b) It is bad luck to use an old hole.
(c) The old hole is unsafe and likely to cave in.
(d) The old hole could be booby-trapped or known by the enemy.
12. Chapter 16
Where do black men go to talk about racism and an unjust world?
(a) The Black Shack
(b) In the trenches
(c) The commander's tent
(d) The chapel
13. Chapter 20
Where is Gilliland meeting his wife on his last day as a Marine?
(a) Quantico, VA
(b) Pismo Beach
(c) Da Nang
(d) South Carolina
14. When Dan surrenders to the Marines, what position do they offer him?
(b) Machine gunner
(c) Truck driver
(d) Kit Carson Scout
15. Chapter 1
What does Snake do when he encounters Smack-man?
(a) He buys dope from him.
(b) He kicks him furiously in the head.
(c) He threatens him with a knife.
(d) He sells dope to him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chapter 8 How does Senator's friend, John Grimsley, get out of going to Vietnam?
2. Chapter 19 What is the diagnosis given by Doc Rabbit about the young child who is carried on a stretcher by some villagers?
3. Chapter 23 What does Hodges remember about the North Vietnamese when he sees Cat Man near a banana tree?
4. What takes place while Boomer and Gilliland inspect the Vietnamese soldier who is dressed like a mamasan?
5. What does Major Otto ask Hodges when they meet in the commander's tent?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)