|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Hodges thinking as he watches his men dying in Arizona Valley?
(a) He will be in Arizona Valley the next day.
(b) He will ask to be reassigned.
(c) He will design a plan to go AWOL.
(d) He has to figure out a way home.
2. Chapter 5
What does Major Otto have on his arm that he received during his first tour of duty?
(a) A six inch, purple trough from a bone- shattering machine- gun bullet
(b) A Semper Fi tattoo
(c) A tattoo of his girl friend
(d) A tattoo of his mother
3. Who makes snide comments about the Chaplain who is leading a memorial service for the fallen men?
(a) Senator, Cat Man, and Flaky
(b) Senator, Bagger, and Ottenburger
(c) Snake, Cat Man, and Flaky
(d) Senator, Snake, and Flaky
4. What changes Hodges' mind about being excited to be in the war?
(a) The severed hand of a soldier lands near him when a bomb goes off fifty feet from his cot.
(b) He is slightly injured as he lies on his cot.
(c) He is not assigned to the unit he wanted.
(d) He doesn't like being in the jungle.
5. Chapter 21
What is Snake's reaction at seeing Ogre and Baby Cakes again?
(a) He is angry.
(b) He is elated.
(c) He is annoyed.
(d) He doesn't care.
6. Chapter 14
What is Gilliland looking forward to after his ten years of military service?
(a) Working as a private detective
(b) Joining the police force
(c) Rest and relaxation
(d) Travelling across the USA
7. Why is Goodrich afraid to go to the flatlands?
(a) He is afraid of anything new.
(b) He is afraid of snakes in the elephant grass.
(c) He has heard stories that a man can step on an ambusher before he sees him.
(d) He is afraid of deadly insects in the tall grass.
8. Which member of Snake's platoon loses his leg?
(c) Baby Cakes
9. Why does Sadler decide to dismantle the old bomb buried in the dirt?
(a) Sadler's platoon needs extra ammunition.
(b) Sadler doesn't want innocent women and children near the bomb.
(c) The bomb might explode and kill an American platoon.
(d) The enemy uses old bombs for ammunition.
10. Why doesn't Baby Cakes want Ogre with him?
(a) Ogre almost got him shot earlier.
(b) Ogre has annoying habits.
(c) Ogre never shuts up.
(d) Ogre can't be trusted.
11. Who goes to look for Baby Cakes and Ogre when they disappear?
(a) Senator, Cat Man, and Sadler
(b) Snake, Cannonball, Senator, Bagger, and Cat Man
(c) Cannonball and Sadler
(d) Senator, Sadler, and Bagger
12. Chapter 13
What is a sign that the enemy is near?
(a) The birds begin to screech.
(b) The smell of human sweat is in the air.
(c) The water bulls disappear from the fields
(d) The fields are silent.
13. What does Snake tell Goodrich to keep his mouth shut about?
(a) Killing a child and woman
(b) Killing the old man and woman and burying them.
(c) Killing an enemy who surrendered
(d) Killing a fellow Marine by accident
14. Chapter 4
What is the injury that Ogre sustains during enemy fire?
(a) His arm is broken.
(b) He is grazed across his temple.
(c) He is shot in the shoulder.
(d) His leg is bleeding badly.
15. Chapter 17
Why does a new trench hole have to be dug by the Marines rather than their using an old trench hole?
(a) The old hole could be booby-trapped or known by the enemy.
(b) The old hole is usually rancid from overuse.
(c) The old hole is unsafe and likely to cave in.
(d) It is bad luck to use an old hole.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chapter 12 What kind of a childhood did Phony have?
2. Before Snake enlists in the Marines, what type of tattoo does he get?
3. What does Major Otto ask Hodges when they meet in the commander's tent?
4. Why were Bobby and his father named after Robert E. Lee?
5. Chapter 9 What type of man is Angus Austin, the new Platoon Sergeant?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)