|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Goodrich afraid to go to the flatlands?
(a) He is afraid of deadly insects in the tall grass.
(b) He has heard stories that a man can step on an ambusher before he sees him.
(c) He is afraid of anything new.
(d) He is afraid of snakes in the elephant grass.
2. How do the civilians in America treat Gilliland when he returns home wearing his uniform?
(a) They pity him.
(b) They treat him with respect.
(c) They look at him like he is an animal.
(d) They treat him like a hero.
3. Chapter 2
What is the reason that Bobby Hodges enlists in the armed forces?
(a) He is carrying on the family tradition of fighting for his country.
(b) He is trying to escape a petty crime.
(c) He doesn't know what else to do with his life.
(d) His mother convinces him to go.
4. What does Bagger realize after he goes home to his wife and child for some R&R?
(a) He wants to spend every minute with his child.
(b) He feels more comfortable in the bush.
(c) He wishes he could stay home.
(d) He wishes he never joined the Marines.
5. What is the plan Senator devises to make him sick enough to go for treatment to the Battalion Aid Station?
(a) He decides to shoot off a toe.
(b) He hopes to get an infection from rubbing jam into his gook sores.
(c) He plans to break his finger.
(d) He eats rotten food hoping to get food poisoning.
6. Who denies access to Bagger when he wants to see his friend, Homicide?
(c) Rap Jones
7. Where do Snake and Hodges plan to ambush next?
(a) Nam An Two
(b) Phu Phong
(c) Arizona Valley
(d) Da Nang
8. What do the Marines do with the bodies of Baby Cakes and Ogre?
(a) They leave them behind.
(b) They say a prayer over the bodies.
(c) They carry them back to camp on stretchers.
(d) They bury them.
9. What do four hippies sitting outside a restaurant call Gilliland?
(a) Baby Killer
(b) War Monger
(d) Killing Machine
10. What news does the patrol read about in a newspaper from home?
(a) They read about the first man on the moon.
(b) They read about more men being sent to Vietnam for duty.
(c) They read about riots on the streets.
(d) They read about war protesters in Washington, D.C.
11. What is Cannonball's reaction to Homicide's comments about fighting a white man's war?
(a) Cannonball feels betrayed.
(b) Cannonball becomes furious.
(c) Cannonball agrees.
(d) Cannonball attacks his friend.
12. What is the one thing that Austin tells Hodges he won't tolerate?
(a) He won't tolerate cowardice.
(b) He won't tolerate a Marine out of uniform and unshaved.
(c) He won't tolerate vulgar language.
(d) He won't tolerate drug use.
13. What is the Marine recruiter's reaction to Bagger and his teammates?
(a) He gives them warnings about what they will encounter.
(b) He tries to talk them out of enlisting.
(c) He turns everyone but Bagger away.
(d) He is in euphoria.
14. What does Austin rip off Phony's back?
(a) Phony's rifle
(b) Phony's backpack
(c) Phony's shirt with a peace sign on it
(d) Phony's bed roll
15. Who makes snide comments about the Chaplain who is leading a memorial service for the fallen men?
(a) Snake, Cat Man, and Flaky
(b) Senator, Bagger, and Ottenburger
(c) Senator, Cat Man, and Flaky
(d) Senator, Snake, and Flaky
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are the villagers told they have to keep walking even after Hodges says that he will transport them to the resettlement village in a Medevac?
2. Chapter 15 Why does Dan leave his family to fight in the war?
3. Chapter 16 Where do black men go to talk about racism and an unjust world?
4. Chapter 14 What is Gilliland looking forward to after his ten years of military service?
5. What does Dan give a mamasan to give to her children?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)