|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bagger do when he hears the song, These Eyes?
(a) He starts crying.
(b) He sings along, even in battle.
(c) He gets up and dances with an invisible partner.
(d) He looks at pictures of his wife and son.
2. What does Cat Man believe he is meant to do?
(a) Live a life of crime
(b) Move back to his native country
(c) Go back to school
(d) Join the Marines
3. How do the civilians in America treat Gilliland when he returns home wearing his uniform?
(a) They treat him like a hero.
(b) They pity him.
(c) They treat him with respect.
(d) They look at him like he is an animal.
4. What is Hodges thinking as he watches his men dying in Arizona Valley?
(a) He has to figure out a way home.
(b) He will design a plan to go AWOL.
(c) He will ask to be reassigned.
(d) He will be in Arizona Valley the next day.
5. Chapter 20
Where is Gilliland meeting his wife on his last day as a Marine?
(a) South Carolina
(b) Pismo Beach
(c) Quantico, VA
(d) Da Nang
6. Chapter 2
What is the reason that Bobby Hodges enlists in the armed forces?
(a) He is trying to escape a petty crime.
(b) His mother convinces him to go.
(c) He doesn't know what else to do with his life.
(d) He is carrying on the family tradition of fighting for his country.
7. What news does the patrol read about in a newspaper from home?
(a) They read about the first man on the moon.
(b) They read about war protesters in Washington, D.C.
(c) They read about riots on the streets.
(d) They read about more men being sent to Vietnam for duty.
8. Chapter 19
What is the diagnosis given by Doc Rabbit about the young child who is carried on a stretcher by some villagers?
(a) He will be blinded from his head wound.
(b) He is sure to die.
(c) He will recover fully.
(d) He will be a vegetable for the rest of his life.
9. Chapter 4
What is the injury that Ogre sustains during enemy fire?
(a) His arm is broken.
(b) He is grazed across his temple.
(c) He is shot in the shoulder.
(d) His leg is bleeding badly.
10. What does Major Otto tell Hodges about Arizona Valley?
(a) It is one of the quiet spots in the jungle.
(b) There is no hot food, no clean clothes, and blood and guts every day.
(c) It's not as bad as everyone says.
(d) It is hidden from the enemy.
11. Where do the men gather as the sun begins to fall?
(a) They gather in a jungle hut.
(b) They gather in small clumps in four man holes.
(c) They gather around a campfire.
(d) They gather in the Lieutenant's tent.
12. What happens as Waterbull sits under his hooch looking at a picture?
(a) A grenade is thrown into his hooch.
(b) He is bitten by a poisonous snake.
(c) He is attacked by the enemy and shot three times.
(d) He starts to cry as he thinks of home.
13. Chapter 10
What is available to the men at Liberty Bridge?
(a) No fresh water, little food, and trenches for sleeping
(b) Dangerous enemy patrols and a shortage of food
(c) Trenches to sleep in and danger of ambushes
(d) Hot food, minimal danger, daily baths, tents, cots, and toilets
14. What is the Reverend's view on racism?
(a) Defy the white man whenever possible.
(b) The human race is the only race.
(c) Be subservient to the white man.
(d) Blacks are better than whites.
15. What does Cannonball do to get out on the Medevac?
(a) He frags himself in the buttocks.
(b) He cuts off his thumb.
(c) He shoots himself in the leg.
(d) He eats rotten food.
Short Answer Questions
1. What takes place while Boomer and Gilliland inspect the Vietnamese soldier who is dressed like a mamasan?
2. What does Roland decide to do when he receives his draft notice?
3. Where is Goodrich attending college when he decides to enlist in the Marines?
4. Chapter 24 Where is Cat Man's native home?
5. What is Cannonball's reaction to Homicide's comments about fighting a white man's war?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)