|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Bobby stationed while he awaits to leave for Vietnam?
(a) North Carolina
2. What does Snake tell Goodrich to keep his mouth shut about?
(a) Killing a fellow Marine by accident
(b) Killing an enemy who surrendered
(c) Killing the old man and woman and burying them.
(d) Killing a child and woman
3. What condition are Ogre and Baby Cakes in when they are found?
(a) They were stabbed.
(b) They were both shot in the forehead.
(c) They were beaten to death.
(d) They were hanged from a tree.
4. Chapter 23
What does Hodges remember about the North Vietnamese when he sees Cat Man near a banana tree?
(a) He remembers that the North Vietnamese never eat bananas.
(b) He remembers that the North Vietnamese sleep in the banana trees.
(c) He remembers that the North Vietnamese are superstitious about banana trees.
(d) He remembers that the North Vietnamese lay under the banana trees for shade.
5. Chapter 6
Why is Hodges envious of the men he meets in the bush?
(a) They have plenty of food and water.
(b) They have never faced the enemy in battle.
(c) They are leaving for home in one week.
(d) They faced the enemy and prevailed.
6. Before Snake enlists in the Marines, what type of tattoo does he get?
(a) A skull encircled with two snakes that reads "Death before Dishonor"
(b) A tattoo that says, MOM
(c) An eagle and an American flag
(d) An evil clown
7. What does Major Otto tell Hodges about Arizona Valley?
(a) There is no hot food, no clean clothes, and blood and guts every day.
(b) It's not as bad as everyone says.
(c) It is one of the quiet spots in the jungle.
(d) It is hidden from the enemy.
8. Chapter 22
How many of Bagger's football team joined the Marines at the same time?
9. What does Snake do when he sees the new recruits?
(a) He salutes them.
(b) He gives them some hot stew.
(c) He introduces them to everyone.
(d) He gives them nicknames.
10. Where do the men gather as the sun begins to fall?
(a) They gather around a campfire.
(b) They gather in a jungle hut.
(c) They gather in small clumps in four man holes.
(d) They gather in the Lieutenant's tent.
11. What happens as Waterbull sits under his hooch looking at a picture?
(a) A grenade is thrown into his hooch.
(b) He is attacked by the enemy and shot three times.
(c) He starts to cry as he thinks of home.
(d) He is bitten by a poisonous snake.
12. What changes Hodges' mind about being excited to be in the war?
(a) He doesn't like being in the jungle.
(b) He is not assigned to the unit he wanted.
(c) The severed hand of a soldier lands near him when a bomb goes off fifty feet from his cot.
(d) He is slightly injured as he lies on his cot.
13. Chapter 8
How does Senator's friend, John Grimsley, get out of going to Vietnam?
(a) He is given a psychological deferment.
(b) He cuts off his finger.
(c) He goes to Canada.
(d) He shoots himself in the foot.
14. When Dan surrenders to the Marines, what position do they offer him?
(a) Kit Carson Scout
(b) Machine gunner
(d) Truck driver
15. What is Goodrich's strength as he sits contemplating after the battle?
(a) The ghosts of his past
(b) Memories of his girlfriend
(c) The men in his unit
(d) His happy memories of home
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bagger do when he hears the song, These Eyes?
2. What does Bagger do before he leaves for war?
3. Chapter 15 Why does Dan leave his family to fight in the war?
4. Chapter 24 Where is Cat Man's native home?
5. What do four hippies sitting outside a restaurant call Gilliland?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)