|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Major Otto tell Hodges about Arizona Valley?
(a) It is one of the quiet spots in the jungle.
(b) It's not as bad as everyone says.
(c) There is no hot food, no clean clothes, and blood and guts every day.
(d) It is hidden from the enemy.
2. Chapter 16
Where do black men go to talk about racism and an unjust world?
(a) The chapel
(b) In the trenches
(c) The commander's tent
(d) The Black Shack
3. Why were Bobby and his father named after Robert E. Lee?
(a) They were given the name because it was tradition to name the children after a war hero.
(b) They were given the name because Bobby's grandfather was a history buff.
(c) They were given the name because Bobby's grandmother was fascinated with Lee.
(d) They were given that name because Robert E. Lee personally thanked Bobby's ancestors for serving in the war.
4. Chapter 18
How much more time does Gilliland have to serve in the military?
(a) Three months
(b) Three weeks
(c) Two months
(d) Two weeks
5. Where is Bobby stationed while he awaits to leave for Vietnam?
(b) North Carolina
6. What does Goodrich plan to do when he gets into the Marines?
(a) Be an infantryman
(b) Work on jets
(c) Be a medic
(d) Play in the Marine Band
7. Chapter 17
Why does a new trench hole have to be dug by the Marines rather than their using an old trench hole?
(a) The old hole could be booby-trapped or known by the enemy.
(b) The old hole is usually rancid from overuse.
(c) It is bad luck to use an old hole.
(d) The old hole is unsafe and likely to cave in.
8. What does Cat Man do after he quits school at sixteen?
(a) He sells drugs on the street.
(b) He robs a gas station.
(c) He goes to work in the fields.
(d) He marries his high school sweetheart.
9. What does Cannonball do to get out on the Medevac?
(a) He cuts off his thumb.
(b) He shoots himself in the leg.
(c) He eats rotten food.
(d) He frags himself in the buttocks.
10. What does Major Otto ask Hodges when they meet in the commander's tent?
(a) He asks Hodges how many friends he has lost.
(b) He asks Hodges if he regrets joining the Marines.
(c) He asks if Hodges is ready for the bush.
(d) He asks Hodges how long he has been on tour.
11. How many of the four men on first watch at LP duty survive the night?
(a) All four
12. Chapter 9
What type of man is Angus Austin, the new Platoon Sergeant?
(a) He is friendly, mild, and child-like.
(b) He is funny and exuberant.
(c) He is aggressive and mean spirited.
(d) He is humorless, dry voiced, and old for thirty one.
13. Chapter 7
Who does a great job digging and engineering two holes that Hodges notices?
(b) The Vietnamese enemy
14. What happens to Dan's family when he sneaks away from his unit to bring his family to safety?
(a) His entire family is killed by gunfire.
(b) His family flees into the jungle.
(c) His family refuses to go with him.
(d) They find safety with the Marines.
15. What does Snake's mother find so frustrating about her son?
(a) He dropped out of college.
(b) He is a college graduate with no job.
(c) He never comes home.
(d) He is a high school dropout, fights all the time, and carries hatred in his heart.
Short Answer Questions
1. What effect does the Army have on Cannonball's brother?
2. Chapter 14 What is Gilliland looking forward to after his ten years of military service?
3. What happens as Waterbull sits under his hooch looking at a picture?
4. Why does Sadler decide to dismantle the old bomb buried in the dirt?
5. What does Cat Man believe he is meant to do?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)