|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the one thing that Austin tells Hodges he won't tolerate?
(a) He won't tolerate cowardice.
(b) He won't tolerate drug use.
(c) He won't tolerate a Marine out of uniform and unshaved.
(d) He won't tolerate vulgar language.
2. Who makes snide comments about the Chaplain who is leading a memorial service for the fallen men?
(a) Senator, Bagger, and Ottenburger
(b) Senator, Snake, and Flaky
(c) Senator, Cat Man, and Flaky
(d) Snake, Cat Man, and Flaky
3. When Dan surrenders to the Marines, what position do they offer him?
(a) Truck driver
(b) Machine gunner
(c) Kit Carson Scout
4. What effect does the Army have on Cannonball's brother?
(a) The Army destroys him.
(b) The Army makes him proud to be black.
(c) The Army makes a new man of him.
(d) The Army gives him confidence.
5. What does Bagger do before he leaves for war?
(a) He spends the night with his parents.
(b) He marries his pregnant girlfriend.
(c) He spends the night alone, regretting his decision.
(d) He has a party with his buddies.
6. What is Hodges thinking when he sees that Flaky has been shot?
(a) He is sorry for not being a better friend to Flaky.
(b) He wishes someone else had been shot and not Flaky.
(c) He is glad it is Flaky that is shot and not someone else.
(d) He will be more attentive to Flaky from now on.
7. Chapter 11
What do Speedy, Smitty, Senator, and Burgie witness as they lie beyond the barbed wire for their LP watch?
(a) A woman pulled from her hooch and killed by the enemy.
(b) A boy is killed by a grenade.
(c) The enemy runs into the jungle.
(d) The enemy opens fire on the northern compound.
8. Chapter 22
How many of Bagger's football team joined the Marines at the same time?
9. Chapter 15
Why does Dan leave his family to fight in the war?
(a) He needs the weekly income.
(b) He takes his fallen brother's place in the war.
(c) He feels it is his duty.
(d) He does it to protect his family.
10. What happens to Dan's family when he sneaks away from his unit to bring his family to safety?
(a) His family refuses to go with him.
(b) They find safety with the Marines.
(c) His entire family is killed by gunfire.
(d) His family flees into the jungle.
11. Why does Sadler decide to dismantle the old bomb buried in the dirt?
(a) The enemy uses old bombs for ammunition.
(b) Sadler's platoon needs extra ammunition.
(c) The bomb might explode and kill an American platoon.
(d) Sadler doesn't want innocent women and children near the bomb.
12. What does Snake's mother find so frustrating about her son?
(a) He is a high school dropout, fights all the time, and carries hatred in his heart.
(b) He dropped out of college.
(c) He is a college graduate with no job.
(d) He never comes home.
13. Chapter 6
Why is Hodges envious of the men he meets in the bush?
(a) They have never faced the enemy in battle.
(b) They are leaving for home in one week.
(c) They have plenty of food and water.
(d) They faced the enemy and prevailed.
14. What is Cannonball's reaction to Homicide's comments about fighting a white man's war?
(a) Cannonball feels betrayed.
(b) Cannonball agrees.
(c) Cannonball attacks his friend.
(d) Cannonball becomes furious.
15. How does Cat Man get his nickname?
(a) He is named Cat Man because he sees things that others don't notice.
(b) He is named Cat Man because he prowls the night silently.
(c) He is named Cat Man because his laugh sounds like a cat's meow.
(d) He is named Cat Man because he purrs after he eats.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chapter 4 What is the injury that Ogre sustains during enemy fire?
2. What do four hippies sitting outside a restaurant call Gilliland?
3. What does Roland decide to do when he receives his draft notice?
4. Chapter 16 Where do black men go to talk about racism and an unjust world?
5. Where do the men gather as the sun begins to fall?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)