|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Goodrich plan to do when he gets into the Marines?
(a) Play in the Marine Band
(b) Work on jets
(c) Be a medic
(d) Be an infantryman
2. Why is Goodrich afraid to go to the flatlands?
(a) He is afraid of anything new.
(b) He is afraid of snakes in the elephant grass.
(c) He has heard stories that a man can step on an ambusher before he sees him.
(d) He is afraid of deadly insects in the tall grass.
3. Chapter 21
What is Snake's reaction at seeing Ogre and Baby Cakes again?
(a) He is angry.
(b) He is annoyed.
(c) He doesn't care.
(d) He is elated.
4. Chapter 14
What is Gilliland looking forward to after his ten years of military service?
(a) Working as a private detective
(b) Joining the police force
(c) Rest and relaxation
(d) Travelling across the USA
5. What does Snake do when he sees the new recruits?
(a) He gives them nicknames.
(b) He introduces them to everyone.
(c) He salutes them.
(d) He gives them some hot stew.
6. Why doesn't Hodges want to give food to the woman who asks for food for her child?
(a) Hodges hates everyone in Vietnam.
(b) Hodges says that it will go to the VC.
(c) Hodges says that the hungry child is better off dead.
(d) Hodges says that there isn't enough food to go around.
7. Chapter 4
What is the injury that Ogre sustains during enemy fire?
(a) He is shot in the shoulder.
(b) His arm is broken.
(c) His leg is bleeding badly.
(d) He is grazed across his temple.
8. What is the Marine recruiter's reaction to Bagger and his teammates?
(a) He gives them warnings about what they will encounter.
(b) He tries to talk them out of enlisting.
(c) He is in euphoria.
(d) He turns everyone but Bagger away.
9. What does Snake's mother find so frustrating about her son?
(a) He is a college graduate with no job.
(b) He dropped out of college.
(c) He never comes home.
(d) He is a high school dropout, fights all the time, and carries hatred in his heart.
10. How do the civilians in America treat Gilliland when he returns home wearing his uniform?
(a) They pity him.
(b) They look at him like he is an animal.
(c) They treat him with respect.
(d) They treat him like a hero.
11. Why were Bobby and his father named after Robert E. Lee?
(a) They were given the name because Bobby's grandmother was fascinated with Lee.
(b) They were given the name because Bobby's grandfather was a history buff.
(c) They were given that name because Robert E. Lee personally thanked Bobby's ancestors for serving in the war.
(d) They were given the name because it was tradition to name the children after a war hero.
12. Chapter 22
How many of Bagger's football team joined the Marines at the same time?
13. How do the Marines refer to Go Noi?
(a) They refer to it as Snake Ground.
(b) They refer to it as the Mile Wide Death Fields.
(c) They refer to it as the Mile Wide Killer Fields.
(d) They refer to it as the Elephant Grassland.
14. What is the worst enemy abuse that Goodrich remembers seeing?
(a) Two Vietnamese soldiers thrown into a pit of bodies
(b) Two Vietnamese soldiers, scorched from head to foot and blinded, come to the camp to surrender.
(c) A Vietnamese soldier is shot in the knee and thrown in the water.
(d) Food is taken away from a Vietnamese woman and child
15. What news does the patrol read about in a newspaper from home?
(a) They read about the first man on the moon.
(b) They read about riots on the streets.
(c) They read about war protesters in Washington, D.C.
(d) They read about more men being sent to Vietnam for duty.
Short Answer Questions
1. What changes Hodges' mind about being excited to be in the war?
2. Why are the villagers told they have to keep walking even after Hodges says that he will transport them to the resettlement village in a Medevac?
3. Why does Sadler decide to dismantle the old bomb buried in the dirt?
4. What happens to Dan's family when he sneaks away from his unit to bring his family to safety?
5. What does Roland learn after he is in the military?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)