|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Hodges thinking as he watches his men dying in Arizona Valley?
(a) He will be in Arizona Valley the next day.
(b) He has to figure out a way home.
(c) He will design a plan to go AWOL.
(d) He will ask to be reassigned.
2. Who denies access to Bagger when he wants to see his friend, Homicide?
(a) Rap Jones
3. What do four hippies sitting outside a restaurant call Gilliland?
(a) Baby Killer
(c) War Monger
(d) Killing Machine
4. Why does Sadler decide to dismantle the old bomb buried in the dirt?
(a) Sadler doesn't want innocent women and children near the bomb.
(b) The enemy uses old bombs for ammunition.
(c) The bomb might explode and kill an American platoon.
(d) Sadler's platoon needs extra ammunition.
5. What does Snake do when he sees the new recruits?
(a) He gives them nicknames.
(b) He gives them some hot stew.
(c) He introduces them to everyone.
(d) He salutes them.
6. Chapter 11
What do Speedy, Smitty, Senator, and Burgie witness as they lie beyond the barbed wire for their LP watch?
(a) The enemy opens fire on the northern compound.
(b) A woman pulled from her hooch and killed by the enemy.
(c) A boy is killed by a grenade.
(d) The enemy runs into the jungle.
7. Why does Goodrich decide to be in Bagger's team?
(a) Goodrich is going to make Bagger toughen up.
(b) Goodrich wants to harass Bagger.
(c) Goodrich feels he and Bagger are alike.
(d) Goodrich doesn't get along with anyone on his own team.
8. What is Goodrich's strength as he sits contemplating after the battle?
(a) Memories of his girlfriend
(b) The men in his unit
(c) The ghosts of his past
(d) His happy memories of home
9. Chapter 16
Where do black men go to talk about racism and an unjust world?
(a) In the trenches
(b) The chapel
(c) The commander's tent
(d) The Black Shack
10. Chapter 6
Why is Hodges envious of the men he meets in the bush?
(a) They have plenty of food and water.
(b) They are leaving for home in one week.
(c) They have never faced the enemy in battle.
(d) They faced the enemy and prevailed.
11. What does Bagger do when he hears the song, These Eyes?
(a) He starts crying.
(b) He gets up and dances with an invisible partner.
(c) He sings along, even in battle.
(d) He looks at pictures of his wife and son.
12. Chapter 7
Who does a great job digging and engineering two holes that Hodges notices?
(c) The Vietnamese enemy
13. Chapter 4
What is the injury that Ogre sustains during enemy fire?
(a) He is shot in the shoulder.
(b) He is grazed across his temple.
(c) His arm is broken.
(d) His leg is bleeding badly.
14. Chapter 15
Why does Dan leave his family to fight in the war?
(a) He takes his fallen brother's place in the war.
(b) He does it to protect his family.
(c) He needs the weekly income.
(d) He feels it is his duty.
15. How does Cat Man get his nickname?
(a) He is named Cat Man because his laugh sounds like a cat's meow.
(b) He is named Cat Man because he sees things that others don't notice.
(c) He is named Cat Man because he prowls the night silently.
(d) He is named Cat Man because he purrs after he eats.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cannonball need to help digest all the changes taking place in the black community?
2. What is Cannonball's reaction to Homicide's comments about fighting a white man's war?
3. What does Bagger do before he leaves for war?
4. What is the plan Senator devises to make him sick enough to go for treatment to the Battalion Aid Station?
5. Who gives Gilliland a ride part of the way to meet his wife?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)