|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Hodges want to give food to the woman who asks for food for her child?
(a) Hodges says that the hungry child is better off dead.
(b) Hodges says that there isn't enough food to go around.
(c) Hodges says that it will go to the VC.
(d) Hodges hates everyone in Vietnam.
2. What effect does the Army have on Cannonball's brother?
(a) The Army gives him confidence.
(b) The Army makes him proud to be black.
(c) The Army makes a new man of him.
(d) The Army destroys him.
3. Chapter 3
Where is Hodges processed and briefed?
(b) Da Nang
(c) An Hoa
4. Chapter 20
Where is Gilliland meeting his wife on his last day as a Marine?
(a) Da Nang
(b) Quantico, VA
(c) Pismo Beach
(d) South Carolina
5. What happens to Dan's family when he sneaks away from his unit to bring his family to safety?
(a) His family flees into the jungle.
(b) His entire family is killed by gunfire.
(c) They find safety with the Marines.
(d) His family refuses to go with him.
6. Why is Goodrich afraid to go to the flatlands?
(a) He has heard stories that a man can step on an ambusher before he sees him.
(b) He is afraid of deadly insects in the tall grass.
(c) He is afraid of snakes in the elephant grass.
(d) He is afraid of anything new.
7. Who is hit as Snake's company has point patrol in Go Noi?
(a) Snake and Wild Man
(b) Bagger and Chuck
(c) Wild Man and Bagger
(d) Doc and Bagger
8. Chapter 1
What does Snake do when he encounters Smack-man?
(a) He threatens him with a knife.
(b) He sells dope to him.
(c) He buys dope from him.
(d) He kicks him furiously in the head.
9. Who makes snide comments about the Chaplain who is leading a memorial service for the fallen men?
(a) Senator, Snake, and Flaky
(b) Senator, Cat Man, and Flaky
(c) Senator, Bagger, and Ottenburger
(d) Snake, Cat Man, and Flaky
10. What does Goodrich plan to do when he gets into the Marines?
(a) Be an infantryman
(b) Work on jets
(c) Play in the Marine Band
(d) Be a medic
11. Chapter 5
What does Major Otto have on his arm that he received during his first tour of duty?
(a) A six inch, purple trough from a bone- shattering machine- gun bullet
(b) A tattoo of his girl friend
(c) A tattoo of his mother
(d) A Semper Fi tattoo
12. What does Snake do when he sees the new recruits?
(a) He introduces them to everyone.
(b) He gives them some hot stew.
(c) He salutes them.
(d) He gives them nicknames.
13. Why were Bobby and his father named after Robert E. Lee?
(a) They were given the name because it was tradition to name the children after a war hero.
(b) They were given the name because Bobby's grandmother was fascinated with Lee.
(c) They were given the name because Bobby's grandfather was a history buff.
(d) They were given that name because Robert E. Lee personally thanked Bobby's ancestors for serving in the war.
14. Chapter 23
What does Hodges remember about the North Vietnamese when he sees Cat Man near a banana tree?
(a) He remembers that the North Vietnamese never eat bananas.
(b) He remembers that the North Vietnamese sleep in the banana trees.
(c) He remembers that the North Vietnamese lay under the banana trees for shade.
(d) He remembers that the North Vietnamese are superstitious about banana trees.
15. Chapter 16
Where do black men go to talk about racism and an unjust world?
(a) In the trenches
(b) The commander's tent
(c) The Black Shack
(d) The chapel
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Snake argue with Austin about the LP duty assignment?
2. Chapter 22 How many of Bagger's football team joined the Marines at the same time?
3. Where is Goodrich attending college when he decides to enlist in the Marines?
4. Chapter 14 What is Gilliland looking forward to after his ten years of military service?
5. What is the Marine recruiter's reaction to Bagger and his teammates?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)