|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Goodrich afraid to go to the flatlands?
(a) He is afraid of deadly insects in the tall grass.
(b) He is afraid of snakes in the elephant grass.
(c) He has heard stories that a man can step on an ambusher before he sees him.
(d) He is afraid of anything new.
2. Chapter 6
Why is Hodges envious of the men he meets in the bush?
(a) They faced the enemy and prevailed.
(b) They have plenty of food and water.
(c) They have never faced the enemy in battle.
(d) They are leaving for home in one week.
3. Chapter 7
Who does a great job digging and engineering two holes that Hodges notices?
(a) The Vietnamese enemy
4. Chapter 13
What is a sign that the enemy is near?
(a) The water bulls disappear from the fields
(b) The birds begin to screech.
(c) The smell of human sweat is in the air.
(d) The fields are silent.
5. Chapter 16
Where do black men go to talk about racism and an unjust world?
(a) The chapel
(b) The commander's tent
(c) In the trenches
(d) The Black Shack
6. What does Major Otto tell Hodges about Arizona Valley?
(a) It is one of the quiet spots in the jungle.
(b) It's not as bad as everyone says.
(c) There is no hot food, no clean clothes, and blood and guts every day.
(d) It is hidden from the enemy.
7. Why does Phony join the Marines?
(a) He wants to be a hero.
(b) He wants to atone for his bad decisions.
(c) He wants to serve his country.
(d) He will come out of the military with a clean record.
8. What does Cannonball need to help digest all the changes taking place in the black community?
(a) He needs his father's strict hand.
(b) He needs the Reverend's words every Sunday.
(c) He needs his fellow brother's defiant words.
(d) He needs his mother's advice.
9. Chapter 10
What is available to the men at Liberty Bridge?
(a) Dangerous enemy patrols and a shortage of food
(b) No fresh water, little food, and trenches for sleeping
(c) Hot food, minimal danger, daily baths, tents, cots, and toilets
(d) Trenches to sleep in and danger of ambushes
10. Chapter 15
Why does Dan leave his family to fight in the war?
(a) He takes his fallen brother's place in the war.
(b) He feels it is his duty.
(c) He does it to protect his family.
(d) He needs the weekly income.
11. How many of the four men on first watch at LP duty survive the night?
(b) All four
12. What is the one thing that Austin tells Hodges he won't tolerate?
(a) He won't tolerate a Marine out of uniform and unshaved.
(b) He won't tolerate drug use.
(c) He won't tolerate vulgar language.
(d) He won't tolerate cowardice.
13. What does Snake tell Goodrich to keep his mouth shut about?
(a) Killing an enemy who surrendered
(b) Killing a child and woman
(c) Killing the old man and woman and burying them.
(d) Killing a fellow Marine by accident
14. What does Cannonball do to get out on the Medevac?
(a) He cuts off his thumb.
(b) He frags himself in the buttocks.
(c) He shoots himself in the leg.
(d) He eats rotten food.
15. What is the worst enemy abuse that Goodrich remembers seeing?
(a) Food is taken away from a Vietnamese woman and child
(b) Two Vietnamese soldiers, scorched from head to foot and blinded, come to the camp to surrender.
(c) Two Vietnamese soldiers thrown into a pit of bodies
(d) A Vietnamese soldier is shot in the knee and thrown in the water.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Major Otto ask Hodges when they meet in the commander's tent?
2. What happens as Waterbull sits under his hooch looking at a picture?
3. What does Dan give a mamasan to give to her children?
4. How did Phony act in order to survive at the Federal narcotics farm?
5. What does Roland decide to do when he receives his draft notice?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)