|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Major Otto tell Hodges about Arizona Valley?
(a) There is no hot food, no clean clothes, and blood and guts every day.
(b) It is hidden from the enemy.
(c) It's not as bad as everyone says.
(d) It is one of the quiet spots in the jungle.
2. What does Cat Man believe he is meant to do?
(a) Live a life of crime
(b) Join the Marines
(c) Go back to school
(d) Move back to his native country
3. Why does Goodrich decide to be in Bagger's team?
(a) Goodrich feels he and Bagger are alike.
(b) Goodrich doesn't get along with anyone on his own team.
(c) Goodrich is going to make Bagger toughen up.
(d) Goodrich wants to harass Bagger.
4. Chapter 3
Where is Hodges processed and briefed?
(a) An Hoa
(c) Da Nang
5. What condition are Ogre and Baby Cakes in when they are found?
(a) They were hanged from a tree.
(b) They were both shot in the forehead.
(c) They were beaten to death.
(d) They were stabbed.
6. What is the name Cannonball's mother is known as back home?
(a) Drunk Lady Washington
(b) Junk Lady Washington
(c) Crazy Lady Washington
(d) Fat Lady Washington
7. Which member of Snake's platoon loses his leg?
(c) Baby Cakes
8. What is the Marine recruiter's reaction to Bagger and his teammates?
(a) He turns everyone but Bagger away.
(b) He tries to talk them out of enlisting.
(c) He gives them warnings about what they will encounter.
(d) He is in euphoria.
9. Chapter 1
What does Snake do when he encounters Smack-man?
(a) He kicks him furiously in the head.
(b) He buys dope from him.
(c) He threatens him with a knife.
(d) He sells dope to him.
10. What news does the patrol read about in a newspaper from home?
(a) They read about the first man on the moon.
(b) They read about riots on the streets.
(c) They read about more men being sent to Vietnam for duty.
(d) They read about war protesters in Washington, D.C.
11. What is the extent of Vitelli's injuries?
(a) He is shot in the foot.
(b) He has shrapnel in the abdomen.
(c) He is shot in the neck.
(d) He has a lethal shot to the chest.
12. Chapter 4
What is the injury that Ogre sustains during enemy fire?
(a) His leg is bleeding badly.
(b) He is grazed across his temple.
(c) His arm is broken.
(d) He is shot in the shoulder.
13. Chapter 11
What do Speedy, Smitty, Senator, and Burgie witness as they lie beyond the barbed wire for their LP watch?
(a) The enemy runs into the jungle.
(b) A woman pulled from her hooch and killed by the enemy.
(c) The enemy opens fire on the northern compound.
(d) A boy is killed by a grenade.
14. What is Goodrich's strength as he sits contemplating after the battle?
(a) Memories of his girlfriend
(b) The ghosts of his past
(c) His happy memories of home
(d) The men in his unit
15. How is Big Mac killed?
(a) He is shot by a sniper.
(b) He sets off a booby trap.
(c) He falls in a raging river.
(d) He is hit by friendly fire.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Cat Man get his nickname?
2. Why doesn't Hodges want to give food to the woman who asks for food for her child?
3. Why doesn't Baby Cakes want Ogre with him?
4. Chapter 22 How many of Bagger's football team joined the Marines at the same time?
5. Chapter 9 What type of man is Angus Austin, the new Platoon Sergeant?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)