|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Yente hands Tzeitel a letter written by Perchik, Tzeitel notes that _______________.
2. Some time after Tzeitel and Motel's wedding, why is Hodel upset with Perchik?
3. As Perchik tries to reason with Hodel, who is very upset, he explains that what happened at her sister's wedding _____________.
4. When Tevye comes in following Perchik's marriage proposal to Hodel, Perchik says he has bad news and good news. What is the good news?
5. Right before everyone leaves the village, Chava and Fyedka stop by to explain that they also are leaving because ________________.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do a character analysis on Yente, the village matchmaker. How does she stir things up for everyone in Anatevka? What does she represent on a larger scale?
Essay Topic 2
Golde and Tevye seem to fight all the time, but underneath the surface there is much tenderness they feel for each other.
1. Why do Golde and Tevye bicker constantly?
2. How does each character push the boundaries of the roles they are expected to follow?
3. How does the reader or the audience know that despite all the arguing, there is deep love in this relationship?
Essay Topic 3
Explain how the times when Tevye speaks to the audience, and also to God, work well to advance the story in the absence of a narrator.
This section contains 340 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)