|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the conversation Tevye holds with God some time after the wedding, he says that Tzeitel and Motel work very hard and are as poor as what?
2. As Tevye pulls his cart, Golde finds him. She is distraught. What does she share with Tevye?
3. Some time after Tzeitel and Motel's wedding, why is Hodel upset with Perchik?
4. When the villagers hear and share that there is big news in their village, they rush over to __________________.
5. Why is everyone shocked when, at Tzeitel's wedding reception, Perchik asks Hodel to dance with him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Tevye and Golde's five daughters. How does each one break the traditional mold?
Essay Topic 2
Despite his deep love for his daughter Chava, Tevye can't bring himself to accept her marriage. He can't bring himself to speak with her openly. The best he can do is utter a blessing under his breath. Do you feel his behavior is justified? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In trying to live up to their expected roles, many residents of Anatevka hide their true feelings from the world. Using supporting examples, explain how this is the case for the following characters:
1. Lazar Wolf, the butcher.
2. Motel, the tailor.
3. Chava, Tevye's daughter who loves to read.
This section contains 322 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)