|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the villagers ask Tevye if he's seen the constable and then share with him rumors they've heard, the constable walks in and tells everyone what?
2. When Chava tries to talk to Tevye about the feelings she and Fyedka have for each other, Tevye says it would make him happy if _______________.
3. As Yente and other women of the village gossip, the story keeps changing. By the end of their gossiping, everyone mistakenly thinks that who has been arrested?
4. Who helps the elderly rabbi to the table?
5. Right before everyone leaves the village, Chava and Fyedka stop by to explain that they also are leaving because ________________.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do a character analysis on Yente, the village matchmaker. How does she stir things up for everyone in Anatevka? What does she represent on a larger scale?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the tenuous friendship between Tevye and the constable.
1. Explain how the fiddler on the roof serves as a perfect representation of what this friendship is built upon.
2. Discuss how each of the following figures into this unusual friendship: Humor, caution, trust, betrayal.
Essay Topic 3
The Jews and the Russians represent two very different worlds trying to live together in a small, remote village.
1. Describe the attempts each group makes to reach out to the other.
2. Why is the relationship between the Jews and the Russians doomed in the end? Is this outcome evident from the beginning? Explain.
3. How does the forbidden relationship between Chava and Fyedka offer a small sliver of hope in the end?
This section contains 349 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)