|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Long after Tzeitel's wedding, upon hearing of big news, the villagers trade _______________.
2. The boys that the matchmaker brings Golde for her youngest daughters _______________.
3. Hodel tells Tevye that Perchik is in trouble but through no fault of his own. When Tevye expresses doubt, Hodel reminds him about the stories of _____________.
4. When the villagers are gathered at his shop, why does Motel hold up two different pieces of cloth that have been sewn together?
5. What does Lazar say when he first stands up to talk at Tzeitel and Motel's wedding celebration?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tevye tries to strictly adhere to tradition, but often his heart wins out, resulting in a compromise with tradition.
1. Describe the internal turmoil Tevye feels as he is pulled in opposite directions by tradition and by his heartstrings.
2. Cite examples where he reaches a compromise. How does he manage to follow his heart while keeping his honor?
Essay Topic 2
Despite his deep love for his daughter Chava, Tevye can't bring himself to accept her marriage. He can't bring himself to speak with her openly. The best he can do is utter a blessing under his breath. Do you feel his behavior is justified? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Even though tradition is important to Golde, she puts family first. Using examples, show how Golde serves as the one who keeps the family united.
This section contains 328 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)