|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Before Perchik proposes to Hodel, he says that marriage must be founded on ______________.
2. Villagers are asking the rabbi and each other about the big news, which is about a new _______________.
3. After Tevye's talk with Chava regarding Fyedka, the audience finds Tevye talking with God and pulling his cart. Why isn't his horse pulling it?
4. What does Lazar say when he first stands up to talk at Tzeitel and Motel's wedding celebration?
5. From the letter Yente picks up and delivers to Tzeitel, everyone learns that Perchik ________________.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A great deal of information is revealed through the songs of Fiddler On The Roof.
1. Explain the importance of the songs in this play.
2. Give examples describing how songs provide additional information to show the bigger picture.
3. How do some of these songs bring the villagers together?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the traditional roles for the papas, mamas, sons, and daughters of the village.
1. For each group, describe what aspects of their specified role brings about a sense of discontentment.
2. Despite this discontent, why are the villagers reluctant to bring about change?
Essay Topic 3
Explain how the times when Tevye speaks to the audience, and also to God, work well to advance the story in the absence of a narrator.
This section contains 1,002 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)