|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lazar give the newlyweds, Tzeitel and Motel?
2. After the wedding, Tevye speaks to God and starts to say, "As the Good Book says ..." but then stops himself. What does he say right afterward?
3. While everyone's gathered at Motel's shop admiring the new arrival, Golde talks with Tzeitel about what?
4. Some time after the wedding and the ruckus created by Russian soldiers, Tevye sits outside his home, talking to God. What does he start out talking about?
5. When Tevye reluctantly lets Hodel leave, he asks God to see that she ______________.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Despite his deep love for his daughter Chava, Tevye can't bring himself to accept her marriage. He can't bring himself to speak with her openly. The best he can do is utter a blessing under his breath. Do you feel his behavior is justified? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Even though Tevye desires to be rich, how does he come to terms with being poor? What blessings does he count in his life? How do these blessings bring him wealth?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Motel, Perchik, and Fyedka, the men who marry three of Tevye's daughters.
1. Which one does Tevye seem to favor? Why?
2. What lessons does Tevye learn, directly or indirectly, from each of his sons-in-law?
This section contains 297 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)