|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When gossip started by Yente spreads like wildfire, changing along the way, the village blames the supposed woes befalling Tevye's family upon _____________.
2. When Yente hands a letter to Tzeitel, what else does she say?
3. When Chava tries to talk to Tevye about the feelings she and Fyedka have for each other, Tevye says it would make him happy if _______________.
4. As Golde and Tevye prepare to leave their village, Golde is sad that Hodel and Perchik are not with them. Tevye tells her that ______________.
5. Who helps the elderly rabbi to the table?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does humor ease the hardships the villagers experience on a daily basis? Write a detailed analysis using at least three examples.
Essay Topic 2
Do a character analysis on Yente, the village matchmaker. How does she stir things up for everyone in Anatevka? What does she represent on a larger scale?
Essay Topic 3
In trying to live up to their expected roles, many residents of Anatevka hide their true feelings from the world. Using supporting examples, explain how this is the case for the following characters:
1. Lazar Wolf, the butcher.
2. Motel, the tailor.
3. Chava, Tevye's daughter who loves to read.
This section contains 302 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)