|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Yente hands a letter to Tzeitel, what else does she say?
2. When the villagers are gathered at his shop, why does Motel hold up two different pieces of cloth that have been sewn together?
3. As Tevye sits and talks to God after Tzeitel and Motel are married, what does he request?
4. What does Lazar say when he first stands up to talk at Tzeitel and Motel's wedding celebration?
5. At the end of the story, Yente says she will go where?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Select one character that goes through a major transformation from the beginning of the story to the conclusion.
1. How does he or she transform?
2. Does this transformation have greater ramifications in the village?
3. Is this individual a better person in the end because of the transformation? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
A great deal of information is revealed through the songs of Fiddler On The Roof.
1. Explain the importance of the songs in this play.
2. Give examples describing how songs provide additional information to show the bigger picture.
3. How do some of these songs bring the villagers together?
Essay Topic 3
Despite his deep love for his daughter Chava, Tevye can't bring himself to accept her marriage. He can't bring himself to speak with her openly. The best he can do is utter a blessing under his breath. Do you feel his behavior is justified? Why or why not?
This section contains 341 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)