|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helps the elderly rabbi to the table?
2. Even though Tevye and Golde are leaving their home forever, why is Golde sweeping the floor?
3. When the villagers are gathered at his shop, why does Motel hold up two different pieces of cloth that have been sewn together?
4. In his conversation with God following the wedding, what else does Tevye mention to God as needing attention?
5. Golde tells Tevye that in her search for Chava, she went to talk to the priest. What did the priest tell her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how the times when Tevye speaks to the audience, and also to God, work well to advance the story in the absence of a narrator.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the tenuous friendship between Tevye and the constable.
1. Explain how the fiddler on the roof serves as a perfect representation of what this friendship is built upon.
2. Discuss how each of the following figures into this unusual friendship: Humor, caution, trust, betrayal.
Essay Topic 3
In trying to live up to their expected roles, many residents of Anatevka hide their true feelings from the world. Using supporting examples, explain how this is the case for the following characters:
1. Lazar Wolf, the butcher.
2. Motel, the tailor.
3. Chava, Tevye's daughter who loves to read.
This section contains 323 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)