|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Despite Golde's protests, what does Tevye decide about Chava?
2. Inside Motel's shop, the villagers are gathered to see ______________.
3. When everyone talks about big news, the audience is led to believe that Tzeitel and Motel _______________.
4. In the conversation Tevye holds with God some time after the wedding, he says that Tzeitel and Motel work very hard and are as poor as what?
5. What does Lazar give the newlyweds, Tzeitel and Motel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do a character analysis on Yente, the village matchmaker. How does she stir things up for everyone in Anatevka? What does she represent on a larger scale?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the tenuous friendship between Tevye and the constable.
1. Explain how the fiddler on the roof serves as a perfect representation of what this friendship is built upon.
2. Discuss how each of the following figures into this unusual friendship: Humor, caution, trust, betrayal.
Essay Topic 3
The Jews and the Russians represent two very different worlds trying to live together in a small, remote village.
1. Describe the attempts each group makes to reach out to the other.
2. Why is the relationship between the Jews and the Russians doomed in the end? Is this outcome evident from the beginning? Explain.
3. How does the forbidden relationship between Chava and Fyedka offer a small sliver of hope in the end?
This section contains 309 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)