|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Fyedka comes to Motel's shop, picks up a shirt, and offers congratulations. When he leaves the shop, who discreetly follows Fyedka?
2. As Yente and other women of the village gossip, the story keeps changing. By the end of their gossiping, everyone mistakenly thinks that who has been arrested?
3. When Tevye comes in following Perchik's marriage proposal to Hodel, Perchik says he has bad news and good news. What is the good news?
4. After the wedding, Tevye speaks to God and starts to say, "As the Good Book says ..." but then stops himself. What does he say right afterward?
5. When Hodel prepares to marry Perchik, Tevye worries that there will be no one to perform a proper marriage. Hodel assures him that _______________.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does humor ease the hardships the villagers experience on a daily basis? Write a detailed analysis using at least three examples.
Essay Topic 2
Tevye tries to strictly adhere to tradition, but often his heart wins out, resulting in a compromise with tradition.
1. Describe the internal turmoil Tevye feels as he is pulled in opposite directions by tradition and by his heartstrings.
2. Cite examples where he reaches a compromise. How does he manage to follow his heart while keeping his honor?
Essay Topic 3
Provide three examples showing how traditions are changing in Anatevka.
1. What serves as a catalyst for change in each case?
2. Does each change benefit anyone? Explain.
This section contains 1,052 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)