|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Through Tevye's conversation with God, what do we learn about Tzeitel and Motel after their wedding?
2. When the villagers are gathered at his shop, why does Motel hold up two different pieces of cloth that have been sewn together?
3. When everyone talks about big news, the audience is led to believe that Tzeitel and Motel _______________.
4. When Yente hands a letter to Tzeitel, what else does she say?
5. Some time after Perchik leaves the village, Yente comes by with a letter she picked up at the post office. It's from Perchik, and it's for ______________.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Select one character that goes through a major transformation from the beginning of the story to the conclusion.
1. How does he or she transform?
2. Does this transformation have greater ramifications in the village?
3. Is this individual a better person in the end because of the transformation? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the tenuous friendship between Tevye and the constable.
1. Explain how the fiddler on the roof serves as a perfect representation of what this friendship is built upon.
2. Discuss how each of the following figures into this unusual friendship: Humor, caution, trust, betrayal.
Essay Topic 3
Describe how the unfair eviction of the Jews from their village, Anatevka, turns out to be a second chance for them in disguise.
This section contains 1,041 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)