|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lazar tries to convince Tevye to agree to a marriage between him and Tzeitel by explaining that he's well off and ________________.
2. At the wedding of Tzeitel and Motel, where do the men and women go?
3. How does Tzeitel react when she learns she is to wed Lazar Wolf?
4. When Tevye finds himself alone with the constable, what does the constable tell him?
5. The wedding of Tzeitel and Motel concludes with ________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Once the constable leaves after telling Tevye there will be some mild roughhousing by Russian soldiers coming up soon, what does Tevye say to God?
2. How does Hodel defend Perchik as she and Tevye wait at the train station?
3. Why is Hodel upset that Perchik is leaving for Kiev?
4. As Yente, the matchmaker, makes her way to Golde's house while the family prepares for the Sabbath, why does Tzeitel complain?
5. What does the new arrival turn out to be, and why is everyone excited about it?
6. Summarize the story Perchik tells Tevye's youngest daughters while they peel potatoes.
7. Why does Tevye not approve of Chava having a relationship with Fyedka?
8. In Tevye's conversation with God about poverty and hardship, what does he say about being poor?
9. How does Golde initially respond to what her departed grandmother, Grandma Tzeitel, reveals to Tevye in his dream?
10. Where are some of the main characters headed to since they are forced out of their village?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how the unfair eviction of the Jews from their village, Anatevka, turns out to be a second chance for them in disguise.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Tevye and Golde's five daughters. How does each one break the traditional mold?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Motel, Perchik, and Fyedka, the men who marry three of Tevye's daughters.
1. Which one does Tevye seem to favor? Why?
2. What lessons does Tevye learn, directly or indirectly, from each of his sons-in-law?
This section contains 1,097 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)