|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Tevye asks Perchik how he makes money, what does Perchik say?
2. When the two Russians who were bothering Chava leave, what does Fyedka do?
3. In the lesson that Perchik tells Tevye's daughters about Laban and Jacob, what does Laban do?
4. After Golde talks to Tevye about Lazar Wolf, what does Tevye agree to do?
5. After Tevye thanks the constable for the privileged information, what else does he say?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tevye ask of Hodel and of God as his daughter prepares to join Perchik in Siberia?
2. How does Tevye react after Hodel and Perchik tell him that they are engaged?
3. Why is Motel reluctant to talk with Tevye about his love for Tzeitel?
4. Why does an argument break out during Motel and Tzeitel's wedding reception?
5. After Tevye gives Lazar permission to marry his daughter, the constable appears. Describe what transpires.
6. What does Tevye say to the audience as he's thinking through his decision regarding Lazar's request to marry Tzeitel?
7. In Tevye's dream sequence, why does Grandmother Tzeitel sing "Mazeltov" to him and Golde?
8. How do Tevye and Lazar react once they realize they've been talking about two completely different matters?
9. What happens when Chava is left to watch Motel's shop as he steps out for a few moments?
10. When some of the villagers complain about the news they read and Mordcha ends up cursing the Tsar and the authorities, Perchik comes to the scene and questions them. Summarize that first conversation between Perchik and the villagers.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A great deal of information is revealed through the songs of Fiddler On The Roof.
1. Explain the importance of the songs in this play.
2. Give examples describing how songs provide additional information to show the bigger picture.
3. How do some of these songs bring the villagers together?
Essay Topic 2
Even though tradition is important to Golde, she puts family first. Using examples, show how Golde serves as the one who keeps the family united.
Essay Topic 3
How does the fiddler on the roof represent the instability that the Jewish villagers in Anatevka live with on a regular basis?
This section contains 1,047 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)