|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Tevye and Lazar meet to talk, what does Tevye think they're discussing?
2. Tevye claims that without their traditions, the villagers' lives would be ______________.
3. When the constable leaves after his private conversation with Tevye, what does Tevye ask God?
4. The village matchmaker, who has been a widow for a long time, claims that a bad husband:
5. After Perchik explains where he came from, what does Mordcha sarcastically ask?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Golde frantic when she locates Tevye to talk about Chava?
2. What happens when Chava is left to watch Motel's shop as he steps out for a few moments?
3. Describe the blessing the rabbi gives the Tsar as the story opens.
4. How does Tevye react after Hodel and Perchik tell him that they are engaged?
5. What work arrangement does Perchik make with Tevye?
6. Why does an argument break out during Motel and Tzeitel's wedding reception?
7. What ruse does Tevye come up with to convince his wife that their daughter Tzeitel is to marry Motel, the tailor, instead of Lazar, the butcher?
8. By the end of Tevye's dream sequence, what helps Golde to give up on the idea of Tzeitel marrying Lazar and accept that she is to wed Motel instead?
9. What happens after Tevye gives Lazar permission to marry his daughter?
10. What is the audience led to believe in the scene where villagers are abuzz about the new arrival?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Jews and the Russians represent two very different worlds trying to live together in a small, remote village.
1. Describe the attempts each group makes to reach out to the other.
2. Why is the relationship between the Jews and the Russians doomed in the end? Is this outcome evident from the beginning? Explain.
3. How does the forbidden relationship between Chava and Fyedka offer a small sliver of hope in the end?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how the unfair eviction of the Jews from their village, Anatevka, turns out to be a second chance for them in disguise.
Essay Topic 3
Golde and Tevye seem to fight all the time, but underneath the surface there is much tenderness they feel for each other.
1. Why do Golde and Tevye bicker constantly?
2. How does each character push the boundaries of the roles they are expected to follow?
3. How does the reader or the audience know that despite all the arguing, there is deep love in this relationship?
This section contains 1,008 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)