|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tevye's conversation with the constable reveals that _______________.
2. The village matchmaker, who has been a widow for a long time, claims that a bad husband:
3. Before coming to the village, Perchik was a university student where?
4. Where does Tevye live?
5. When the constable leaves after his private conversation with Tevye, what does Tevye ask God?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Tevye's conversation with God about poverty and hardship, what does he say about being poor?
2. What does Tevye ask God to help Tzeitel and Motel with?
3. Why is Golde frantic when she locates Tevye to talk about Chava?
4. Why does an argument break out during Motel and Tzeitel's wedding reception?
5. What happens when Chava is left to watch Motel's shop as he steps out for a few moments?
6. After Tevye gives Lazar permission to marry his daughter, the constable appears. Describe what transpires.
7. How does Tevye respond to the information that Chava married Fyedka?
8. As people congratulate Motel on his upcoming wedding, why do their well wishes seem insincere?
9. Why is everyone taken aback when Perchik asks Hodel to dance at the wedding reception?
10. Why is Hodel upset that Perchik is leaving for Kiev?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does humor ease the hardships the villagers experience on a daily basis? Write a detailed analysis using at least three examples.
Essay Topic 2
Describe how the unfair eviction of the Jews from their village, Anatevka, turns out to be a second chance for them in disguise.
Essay Topic 3
In trying to live up to their expected roles, many residents of Anatevka hide their true feelings from the world. Using supporting examples, explain how this is the case for the following characters:
1. Lazar Wolf, the butcher.
2. Motel, the tailor.
3. Chava, Tevye's daughter who loves to read.
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)