|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tevye's conversation with the constable reveals that _______________.
2. What does Golde realize once Tevye finishes relating his nightmare to her?
3. When Golde asks her daughter Chava if she has finished milking the cows, what does Chava accidentally drop?
4. Motel and Tzeitel have been friends since:
5. When one of her daughters reminds Golde that Tevye works hard, what does Golde say?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tzeitel take the news that she is to be married to Lazar Wolf?
2. Describe the confusion during the conversation between Tevye and Lazar at the inn.
3. By the end of Tevye's dream sequence, what helps Golde to give up on the idea of Tzeitel marrying Lazar and accept that she is to wed Motel instead?
4. List some of the rumors Yente spreads after reading the letter Perchik sent Hodel.
5. Summarize the conversation between Chava and Fyedka inside Motel's shop.
6. Near the end of the story, what does the constable tell Tevye and the other villagers?
7. Summarize the conversation Perchik and Hodel have regarding changing traditions.
8. What does Tevye ask God to help Tzeitel and Motel with?
9. At the start of the story, what does Tevye share with the audience about tradition?
10. After much drinking and merriment following Tevye's permission to Lazar to marry his daughter, what do these two say to each other about how they'll be related after the wedding?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Tzeitel's two suitors, Motel the tailor and Lazar the butcher.
1. Why does the village overwhelmingly think that Tzeitel would be better off with Lazar?
2. How does Motel prove to be a good husband?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the traditional roles for the papas, mamas, sons, and daughters of the village.
1. For each group, describe what aspects of their specified role brings about a sense of discontentment.
2. Despite this discontent, why are the villagers reluctant to bring about change?
Essay Topic 3
Even though Tevye desires to be rich, how does he come to terms with being poor? What blessings does he count in his life? How do these blessings bring him wealth?
This section contains 1,066 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)