|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As guests enter during the wedding scene, what do they do?
2. When the two Russians who were bothering Chava leave, what does Fyedka do?
3. What does Golde realize once Tevye finishes relating his nightmare to her?
4. When Hodel comments on Perchik's lesson about Laban and Jacob, what does she say?
5. Who stays behind to keep an eye on Motel's shop when he leaves for a few moments?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after Tevye gives Lazar permission to marry his daughter?
2. Several months after Hodel leaves for Siberia, the villagers are running around excited about a "new arrival." Describe this scene.
3. What does Tevye ask of Hodel and of God as his daughter prepares to join Perchik in Siberia?
4. Why is Hodel upset that Perchik is leaving for Kiev?
5. Why does the matchmaker feel that the shoemaker's daughter is a perfect match for someone in particular?
6. After Tevye gives Lazar permission to marry his daughter, the constable appears. Describe what transpires.
7. Where are some of the main characters headed to since they are forced out of their village?
8. As Yente, the matchmaker, makes her way to Golde's house while the family prepares for the Sabbath, why does Tzeitel complain?
9. Describe the blessing the rabbi gives the Tsar as the story opens.
10. When Motel stops by asking for Tzeitel as Golde and the matchmaker converse, why does the matchmaker become suspicious?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do a character analysis on Yente, the village matchmaker. How does she stir things up for everyone in Anatevka? What does she represent on a larger scale?
Essay Topic 2
Despite his deep love for his daughter Chava, Tevye can't bring himself to accept her marriage. He can't bring himself to speak with her openly. The best he can do is utter a blessing under his breath. Do you feel his behavior is justified? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Select one character that goes through a major transformation from the beginning of the story to the conclusion.
1. How does he or she transform?
2. Does this transformation have greater ramifications in the village?
3. Is this individual a better person in the end because of the transformation? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,684 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)