|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Despite how the villagers feel about Motel and Tzeitel's upcoming wedding, what do they say to Motel?
2. When Hodel comments on Perchik's lesson about Laban and Jacob, what does she say?
3. Which of the following is part of the Sabbath Prayer song?
4. Tevye explains that in his community, prayer shawls are worn as what?
5. Who is listening in as Perchik teaches Shprintze and Bielke?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the confusion during the conversation between Tevye and Lazar at the inn.
2. Describe the blessing the rabbi gives the Tsar as the story opens.
3. What does Yussel say when Motel asks if he has a wedding hat for him? How does Motel reply?
4. How does Hodel defend Perchik as she and Tevye wait at the train station?
5. How do Tevye and Lazar react once they realize they've been talking about two completely different matters?
6. How does Tevye react to Golde telling him that Lazar Wolf wants to talk to him?
7. How does Tevye respond to the information that Chava married Fyedka?
8. Near the end of the story, what does the constable tell Tevye and the other villagers?
9. Why is Hodel upset that Perchik is leaving for Kiev?
10. How does Hodel react to Perchik's interpretation of the Biblical story of Jacob and Laban?
Essay Topic 1
Even though Tevye desires to be rich, how does he come to terms with being poor? What blessings does he count in his life? How do these blessings bring him wealth?
Essay Topic 2
Do a character analysis on Yente, the village matchmaker. How does she stir things up for everyone in Anatevka? What does she represent on a larger scale?
Essay Topic 3
Provide three examples showing how traditions are changing in Anatevka.
1. What serves as a catalyst for change in each case?
2. Does each change benefit anyone? Explain.
This section contains 1,610 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)