|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As the wedding ceremony progresses, the women of the village sing, "One season following another, Laden with ...:"
(a) Daily doses of elation.
(b) Laughter and fighting.
(c) Trouble and toil.
(d) Happiness and tears.
2. Tevye tells Golde that in his dream, Grandmother Tzeitel looks pretty good considering that she's _____________.
(a) Pretty angry at everyone.
(b) A transparent ghost.
(c) Ninety years old.
(d) Been dead for thirty years.
3. When Tevye tries to correct Grandmother Tzeitel on behalf of Golde, what does the grandmother say?
(a) A young woman should be able to choose who she marries.
(b) She's certain her granddaughter is supposed to marry Motel.
(c) She knows Lazar Wolf would be a terrible husband.
(d) Lazar is a good for nothing drunkard.
4. When addressing the audience at the start of the story, Tevye explains that in his community balance is kept through what?
(a) Law and order.
(b) Hard work.
5. When Golde finds Perchik teaching her younger daughters, what does she say?
(a) The lesson is completely pointless.
(b) The lesson is interesting but not very applicable.
(c) Lesson's over because the girls have to clean the barn.
(d) Lesson's over because the girls must help make lunch.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Motel manages to get Tevye's attention right before everyone has dinner, he wants to talk about Tzeitel but all he is able to say is what?
2. When Tevye tells Golde about his frightening dream, he begins by saying that all the people they knew were _______________.
3. When the Russians join in on the celebratory song and dance between Lazar, Tevye, and other Jews, what is part of the blessing they offer?
4. When Tevye sings "If I Were A Rich Man," he says that he'd build a house with one staircase going up, one going down, and the third _____________.
5. When Tevye finds himself alone with the constable, what does the constable tell him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What ruse does Tevye come up with to convince his wife that their daughter Tzeitel is to marry Motel, the tailor, instead of Lazar, the butcher?
2. Describe the confusion during the conversation between Tevye and Lazar at the inn.
3. When we first meet Tevye's daughters, what do we learn about Chava?
4. How are things made somewhat right with Chava in the end?
5. What does Tevye ask God to help Tzeitel and Motel with?
6. Why is Hodel upset that Perchik is leaving for Kiev?
7. As the wedding ceremony takes place, what do Tevye and Golde sing about?
8. How does Tevye react to Golde telling him that Lazar Wolf wants to talk to him?
9. How does the wedding ceremony end?
10. Describe the scene as Tzeitel and Motel's wedding begins.
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)