|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lazar tries to convince Tevye to agree to a marriage between him and Tzeitel by explaining that he's well off and ________________.
(a) She'll have nice clothes and furniture.
(b) He has a very big house.
(c) She wouldn't have to clean because he has a housekeeper.
(d) He'll take good care of her.
2. As guests enter during the wedding scene, what do they do?
(a) Yell "Mazeltov."
(b) Drop rose petals.
(c) Light candles.
(d) Kneel and pray.
3. When Lazar finally realizes that Tevye thinks he's talking about buying his cow, how does he react?
(a) Laughs and explains he's talking about marrying Tzeitel.
(b) Tells Tevye he can't possibly compare Tzeitel to a cow.
(c) Scolds Tevye for thinking such a thing.
(d) Faints with shock and is resuscitated by the bartender.
4. What common interest do Chava and Fyedka share?
(c) Historical trivia.
5. In the wedding scene, Tzeitel enters in her bridal clothes, followed by _________________.
(a) Her mother, father, sisters, and other relatives.
(b) Twelve bridesmaids.
(c) Only the women of the village.
(d) The rabbi and his family.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tevye claims that without their traditions, the villagers' lives would be ______________.
2. When Hodel comments on Perchik's lesson about Laban and Jacob, what does she say?
3. According to the "Tradition" song sung by everyone, what are the "Papas" expected to do?
4. When Tevye finds himself alone with the constable, what does the constable tell him?
5. When Tevye sings "If I Were A Rich Man," he says that he'd build a house with one staircase going up, one going down, and the third _____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Tevye and Lazar react once they realize they've been talking about two completely different matters?
2. When we first meet Tevye's daughters, what do we learn about Chava?
3. When Motel stops by asking for Tzeitel as Golde and the matchmaker converse, why does the matchmaker become suspicious?
4. What does Yussel say when Motel asks if he has a wedding hat for him? How does Motel reply?
5. What does Tevye say to the audience as he's thinking through his decision regarding Lazar's request to marry Tzeitel?
6. As Perchik and Hodel watch the wedding of Tzeitel and Motel unfold, what do they wonder aloud?
7. After Perchik has a conversation with the angered villagers, he and Tevye talk. Summarize the conversation they have surrounding a piece of cheese.
8. By the end of Tevye's dream sequence, what helps Golde to give up on the idea of Tzeitel marrying Lazar and accept that she is to wed Motel instead?
9. After much drinking and merriment following Tevye's permission to Lazar to marry his daughter, what do these two say to each other about how they'll be related after the wedding?
10. How does Hodel defend Perchik as she and Tevye wait at the train station?
This section contains 1,107 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)