|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Tzeitel react when she learns she is to wed Lazar Wolf?
(a) She runs away in tears.
(b) She screams and faints.
(c) She shouts in anger and frustration.
(d) She cries and says she can't marry him.
2. When Golde asks Tevye where his horse is, what does Tevye reply?
(a) He's at the blacksmith's.
(b) He ran away.
(c) He's at the veterinarian's.
(d) He was stolen.
3. When the townspeople Mordcha and Mendel complain toTevye that he forgot their orders for the Sabbath, what does he reply?
(a) He had trouble with his horse.
(b) He forgot, and he's sorry.
(c) They failed to put in their order.
(d) They haven't paid him yet.
4. When the Russians join in on the celebratory song and dance between Lazar, Tevye, and other Jews, what is part of the blessing they offer?
(a) May we live together in peace.
(b) May you have many children.
(c) May life bring you abundance.
(d) May all your dreams come true.
5. Tevye convinces himself that by marrying Lazar, Tzeitel will never know what?
Short Answer Questions
1. After Golde talks to Tevye about Lazar Wolf, what does Tevye agree to do?
2. When Sasha and another Russian harass Chava, what does Fyedka do?
3. When Motel tells Tevye that he wants to marry Tzeitel, he explains that a year ago, they _______________.
4. What does Golde realize once Tevye finishes relating his nightmare to her?
5. After teaching Tevye's daughters the story of Laban and Jacob, what does Perchik say is the moral of the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tevye say to the audience as he's thinking through his decision regarding Lazar's request to marry Tzeitel?
2. Several months after Hodel leaves for Siberia, the villagers are running around excited about a "new arrival." Describe this scene.
3. After Tevye gives Lazar permission to marry his daughter, the constable appears. Describe what transpires.
4. Near the end of the story, what does the constable tell Tevye and the other villagers?
5. How does Tevye respond to the news the constable gives him right after he agrees to Lazar marrying Tzeitel?
6. What happens when Chava is left to watch Motel's shop as he steps out for a few moments?
7. When some of the villagers complain about the news they read and Mordcha ends up cursing the Tsar and the authorities, Perchik comes to the scene and questions them. Summarize that first conversation between Perchik and the villagers.
8. When we first meet Tevye's daughters, what do we learn about Chava?
9. Once the constable leaves after telling Tevye there will be some mild roughhousing by Russian soldiers coming up soon, what does Tevye say to God?
10. What work arrangement does Perchik make with Tevye?
This section contains 1,106 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)