|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Tevye's dream, Grandmother Tzeitel calls Motel a _______________.
(a) Remarkably talented tailor.
(b) Fine upstanding boy.
(c) Silly young man in love.
(d) Clumsy but well-meaning man.
2. Who is Fruma Sarah to Lazar Wolf?
(a) First wife.
3. Who is listening in as Perchik teaches Shprintze and Bielke?
4. As they make preparations for the Sabbath, what does Tzeitel urge Motel to do?
(a) Find out who Perchik really is.
(b) Distract Lazar so Tevye can't talk to him.
(c) Talk to Tevye before it's too late.
(d) Bring in extra food from his house.
5. At the wedding of Tzeitel and Motel, where do the men and women go?
(a) Women with the children, men with the elders.
(b) Women in the front, men in the back.
(c) Men on one side, women on the other side.
(d) Everyone mingles.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the Sabbath, where does Tevye go to meet Lazar in order to talk to him?
2. When Golde asks Tevye where his horse is, what does Tevye reply?
3. Tevye convinces himself that by marrying Lazar, Tzeitel will never know what?
4. When Perchik tells Tevye's family that he's a good teacher, how does Hodel respond?
5. When Tevye talks to himself about Lazar, wondering whether or not to give permission for the marriage, he says that ______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Yussel say when Motel asks if he has a wedding hat for him? How does Motel reply?
2. How does Hodel react to Perchik's interpretation of the Biblical story of Jacob and Laban?
3. Why is Hodel upset that Perchik is leaving for Kiev?
4. As Perchik and Hodel watch the wedding of Tzeitel and Motel unfold, what do they wonder aloud?
5. How does the wedding ceremony end?
6. How does Golde initially respond to what her departed grandmother, Grandma Tzeitel, reveals to Tevye in his dream?
7. Summarize the story Perchik tells Tevye's youngest daughters while they peel potatoes.
8. How do Tevye and Lazar react once they realize they've been talking about two completely different matters?
9. How does Tevye react after Hodel and Perchik tell him that they are engaged?
10. Describe the blessing the rabbi gives the Tsar as the story opens.
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)