|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tevye's conversation with the constable reveals that _______________.
(a) Nobody in the village can be trusted.
(b) The constable is a wicked man.
(c) The constable doesn't like Tevye at all.
(d) The split between the Jews and Russians is real.
2. When Tevye talks to himself about Lazar, wondering whether or not to give permission for the marriage, he says that ______________.
(a) Lazar would make an excellent husband.
(b) Tzeitel would be fine with marrying the butcher.
(c) This might be Tzeitel's only chance.
(d) He never really liked Lazar.
3. What does Perchik teach Hodel that he says he learned in Kiev?
(a) A song.
(b) A prayer.
(c) A poem.
(d) A dance.
4. When the Russians join in on the celebratory song and dance between Lazar, Tevye, and other Jews, what is part of the blessing they offer?
(a) May you have many children.
(b) May all your dreams come true.
(c) May life bring you abundance.
(d) May we live together in peace.
5. As everyone prepares for the Sabbath, what does Tzeitel tell Motel when they are alone?
(a) She doesn't like Lazar.
(b) The matchmaker had stopped by.
(c) She doesn't trust Perchik.
(d) They don't have enough food for everyone.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Tevye sings "If I Were A Rich Man," he says that he'd build a house with one staircase going up, one going down, and the third _____________.
2. After Tevye thanks the constable for the privileged information, what else does he say?
3. Tevye tells Lazar that he always wanted a son but _______________.
4. At their wedding, what is placed over Motel and Tzeitel?
5. In the lesson that Perchik tells Tevye's daughters about Laban and Jacob, what does Laban do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Even though the family is poor, why does Golde gladly allow more people to join them for the Sabbath meal?
2. Describe the conversation between Yente and Tzeitel regarding Perchik's letter.
3. Why does Tevye not approve of Chava having a relationship with Fyedka?
4. How does Golde initially respond to what her departed grandmother, Grandma Tzeitel, reveals to Tevye in his dream?
5. How do the villagers react to the shocking news the constable brings them?
6. Why does an argument break out during Motel and Tzeitel's wedding reception?
7. Near the end of the story, what does the constable tell Tevye and the other villagers?
8. How do Tevye and Lazar react once they realize they've been talking about two completely different matters?
9. What happens after Tevye gives Lazar permission to marry his daughter?
10. Summarize the story Perchik tells Tevye's youngest daughters while they peel potatoes.
This section contains 1,063 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)