|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Tevye wake up in the middle of the night asking where Fruma Sarah is?
(a) He supposedly dreamt about her.
(b) He's worried she's been kidnapped.
(c) He's drunk and confused.
(d) He believes she's still alive.
2. When Yussel steps into Motel's shop to congratulate him for the upcoming wedding, what does Motel ask him?
(a) To please leave.
(b) For a wedding hat.
(c) For advice.
(d) To lend him money.
3. After Perchik explains where he came from, what does Mordcha sarcastically ask?
(a) Why he doesn't just go back there.
(b) If everyone there is such a know it all.
(c) If that is where he learned to criticize elders.
(d) Why he doesn't try to overthrow the Tsar.
4. When Golde finds Perchik teaching her younger daughters, what does she say?
(a) The lesson is interesting but not very applicable.
(b) Lesson's over because the girls must help make lunch.
(c) Lesson's over because the girls have to clean the barn.
(d) The lesson is completely pointless.
5. When Tzeitel and Motel talk while they prepare for the Sabbath, what does Motel tell Tzeitel that he plans to purchase?
(b) Small farm.
(c) Milking cow.
(d) Sewing machine.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tevye claims that without their traditions, the villagers' lives would be ______________.
2. When Grandmother Tzeitel praises Motel as the chosen husband for young Tzeitel, what does Golde say?
3. When Lazar finally realizes that Tevye thinks he's talking about buying his cow, how does he react?
4. When Tevye talks to himself about Lazar, wondering whether or not to give permission for the marriage, he says that ______________.
5. When Tevye tries to correct Grandmother Tzeitel on behalf of Golde, what does the grandmother say?
Short Essay Questions
1. As the wedding ceremony takes place, what do Tevye and Golde sing about?
2. Why is Golde frantic when she locates Tevye to talk about Chava?
3. After Perchik has a conversation with the angered villagers, he and Tevye talk. Summarize the conversation they have surrounding a piece of cheese.
4. How are things made somewhat right with Chava in the end?
5. When Motel stops by asking for Tzeitel as Golde and the matchmaker converse, why does the matchmaker become suspicious?
6. Summarize the story Perchik tells Tevye's youngest daughters while they peel potatoes.
7. At the start of the story, what does Tevye share with the audience about tradition?
8. Two months after Tzeitel and Motel's wedding, Tevye sits on a bench outside his home talking to God. What does he say about Tzeitel and Motel?
9. Even though the family is poor, why does Golde gladly allow more people to join them for the Sabbath meal?
10. What is the mood at Tevye and Golde's house as everyone prepares for the Sabbath?
This section contains 1,092 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)