|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the villagers feel about the news that Tzeitel will be marrying Motel instead of Lazar?
(a) They are overjoyed because Motel is a much better match.
(b) They wonder who would force her to marry Motel.
(c) They wonder why she's marrying a poor man instead of a wealthy one.
(d) Nobody cares who gets married as long as there will be a celebration.
2. At Motel and Tzeitel's wedding, who wonders if they'll be married one day?
(a) The village's bachelors.
(b) Tevye's youngest daughters.
(c) Chava and Fyedka.
(d) Perchik and Hodel.
3. When Motel manages to get Tevye's attention right before everyone has dinner, he wants to talk about Tzeitel but all he is able to say is what?
(a) I'll be right back.
(b) Thank you.
(c) Good Sabbath.
(d) Nice hat.
4. Motel is afraid to talk to Tevye about wanting to marry Tzeitel, claiming that he's only what?
(a) A plain young man.
(b) A poor tailor.
(c) A humble farmer.
(d) An aspiring writer.
5. When the constable leaves after his private conversation with Tevye, what does Tevye ask God?
(a) Where he should take his family to live in peace.
(b) Why he can never win.
(c) Why the Russians won't leave them alone.
(d) Why he got such news that day, of all days.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the wedding scene, Tzeitel enters in her bridal clothes, followed by _________________.
2. When Hodel comments on Perchik's lesson about Laban and Jacob, what does she say?
3. When one of her daughters reminds Golde that Tevye works hard, what does Golde say?
4. How does Act 1, Scene 5 end?
5. At the conclusion of Act 1, Scene 1, why are Golde and Tevye's daughters hoping the matchmaker will take her time finding them a match?
Short Essay Questions
1. After much drinking and merriment following Tevye's permission to Lazar to marry his daughter, what do these two say to each other about how they'll be related after the wedding?
2. Even though the family is poor, why does Golde gladly allow more people to join them for the Sabbath meal?
3. Describe the blessing the rabbi gives the Tsar as the story opens.
4. In Tevye's dream sequence, why does Grandmother Tzeitel sing "Mazeltov" to him and Golde?
5. Once the constable leaves after telling Tevye there will be some mild roughhousing by Russian soldiers coming up soon, what does Tevye say to God?
6. Two months after Tzeitel and Motel's wedding, Tevye sits on a bench outside his home talking to God. What does he say about Tzeitel and Motel?
7. By the end of Tevye's dream sequence, what helps Golde to give up on the idea of Tzeitel marrying Lazar and accept that she is to wed Motel instead?
8. After Tevye gives Lazar permission to marry his daughter, the constable appears. Describe what transpires.
9. What ruse does Tevye come up with to convince his wife that their daughter Tzeitel is to marry Motel, the tailor, instead of Lazar, the butcher?
10. How does Tevye respond to the information that Chava married Fyedka?
This section contains 1,175 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)