|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Perchik wants to know why Hodel is so interested in the rabbi's son, what does she say?
(a) She's been good friends with the rabbi's son since they were seven.
(b) He's smart, handsome, and well respected.
(c) It's absolutely none of his business.
(d) At least he doesn't have crazy ideas about changing the world.
2. When Tevye first offers Perchik a piece of cheese, why does Perchik decline?
(a) He has no money.
(b) He just ate.
(c) He doesn't want to look greedy.
(d) He doesn't trust Tevye.
3. At the conclusion of Act 1, Scene 1, why are Golde and Tevye's daughters hoping the matchmaker will take her time finding them a match?
(a) They want to finish school first.
(b) They're scared of getting stuck with a bad husband.
(c) They don't want to leave their parents and sisters.
(d) They want to travel and see the world before getting married.
4. When Tevye tries to correct Grandmother Tzeitel on behalf of Golde, what does the grandmother say?
(a) She knows Lazar Wolf would be a terrible husband.
(b) A young woman should be able to choose who she marries.
(c) She's certain her granddaughter is supposed to marry Motel.
(d) Lazar is a good for nothing drunkard.
5. In Tevye's dream, Grandmother Tzeitel calls Motel a _______________.
(a) Remarkably talented tailor.
(b) Silly young man in love.
(c) Fine upstanding boy.
(d) Clumsy but well-meaning man.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Golde asks her daughter Chava if she has finished milking the cows, what does Chava accidentally drop?
2. When Tevye asks Shprintze and Bielke if they want to take lessons from Perchik, how do the girls respond?
3. Which of the following is NOT one of Tevye's daughters?
4. When Perchik praises Hodel's quick and witty tongue, Tevye says that _____________.
5. How many children does the matchmaker have?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the blessing the rabbi gives the Tsar as the story opens.
2. After Tevye gives Lazar permission to marry his daughter, the constable appears. Describe what transpires.
3. As Yente compliments Golde's daughters while they prepare for the Sabbath, what does she say about having a husband?
4. Once the constable leaves after telling Tevye there will be some mild roughhousing by Russian soldiers coming up soon, what does Tevye say to God?
5. What happens after Tevye gives Lazar permission to marry his daughter?
6. After much drinking and merriment following Tevye's permission to Lazar to marry his daughter, what do these two say to each other about how they'll be related after the wedding?
7. Why is everyone taken aback when Perchik asks Hodel to dance at the wedding reception?
8. What does the new arrival turn out to be, and why is everyone excited about it?
9. In Tevye's conversation with God about poverty and hardship, what does he say about being poor?
10. What does Yussel say when Motel asks if he has a wedding hat for him? How does Motel reply?
This section contains 1,041 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)