|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Grandmother Tzeitel praises Motel as the chosen husband for young Tzeitel, what does Golde say?
(a) Motel is just a friend.
(b) Motel is a poor choice.
(c) She must have heard the news wrong.
(d) Lazar is a much better choice.
2. With Tevye, Lazar, and other men roaming the streets drunk, the constable appears. What does he ask?
(a) If they know what time it is.
(b) If their wives know where they are.
(c) What they are celebrating.
(d) Why they are being so loud.
3. When Tevye and Lazar meet to talk, what does Tevye think they're discussing?
(a) Buying Tevye's little milk cow.
(b) Purchasing Tevye's house.
(c) Increasing Lazar's milk order.
(d) Going into business together.
4. When Tevye asks Shprintze and Bielke if they want to take lessons from Perchik, how do the girls respond?
(a) They ask their mother.
(b) They giggle and say yes.
(c) They refuse.
(d) They say they're not sure.
5. What is Motel's job?
Short Answer Questions
1. In the lesson that Perchik tells Tevye's daughters about Laban and Jacob, what does Laban do?
2. When Yussel steps into Motel's shop to congratulate him for the upcoming wedding, what does Motel ask him?
3. When Golde and Tevye's daughters sing the "Matchmaker" song, which of the following is NOT part of the lyrics?
4. When Perchik wants to know why Hodel is so interested in the rabbi's son, what does she say?
5. After Tevye gives Lazar permission to marry his daughter, the men go out into the street drunk. What fact does Lazar point out to Tevye?
Short Essay Questions
1. Two months after Tzeitel and Motel's wedding, Tevye sits on a bench outside his home talking to God. What does he say about Tzeitel and Motel?
2. When Motel stops by asking for Tzeitel as Golde and the matchmaker converse, why does the matchmaker become suspicious?
3. How does Tevye react after Hodel and Perchik tell him that they are engaged?
4. As the wedding ceremony takes place, what do Tevye and Golde sing about?
5. Describe the confusion during the conversation between Tevye and Lazar at the inn.
6. What does Tevye say to the audience as he's thinking through his decision regarding Lazar's request to marry Tzeitel?
7. Summarize the story Perchik tells Tevye's youngest daughters while they peel potatoes.
8. List some of the rumors Yente spreads after reading the letter Perchik sent Hodel.
9. Why is everyone taken aback when Perchik asks Hodel to dance at the wedding reception?
10. When we first meet Tevye's daughters, what do we learn about Chava?
This section contains 1,053 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)