|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Perchik praises Hodel's quick and witty tongue, Tevye says that _____________.
(a) The tongue comes from him and the wit comes from her mother.
(b) Hodel has the quickest, wittiest tongue of anyone in the family.
(c) All of his daughters are witty, quick, and wise.
(d) The wit comes from him and the tongue comes from her mother.
2. In Tevye's dream, why is Lazar Wolf's first wife angry?
(a) Everyone says mean things about her.
(b) Tevye's daughter is marrying her husband.
(c) She was always an angry person.
(d) Lazar doesn't love her anymore.
3. Why are traditions important to Tevye?
(a) His ancestors came up with them.
(b) Everyone knows their role in life.
(c) They're fun and comfortable.
(d) God developed them.
4. Tevye tells Lazar that he always wanted a son but _______________.
(a) Never expected such a rich one.
(b) Never even considered the butcher.
(c) One a little younger than himself.
(d) They're more like brothers.
5. Where does Tevye live?
(a) Small village.
(b) Religious commune.
(c) Prison camp.
(d) Large city.
Short Answer Questions
1. As everyone prepares for the Sabbath, what does Tzeitel tell Motel when they are alone?
2. When Golde asks Tevye where his horse is, what does Tevye reply?
3. In the lesson that Perchik tells Tevye's daughters about Laban and Jacob, what does Laban do?
4. While Tevye is introducing his family to Perchik, Motel arrives. What does Tevye say about Motel?
5. What is Yente's role in the village?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tevye ask God to help Tzeitel and Motel with?
2. How does Tevye react to Golde telling him that Lazar Wolf wants to talk to him?
3. How do Tevye and Lazar react once they realize they've been talking about two completely different matters?
4. What does Tevye say regarding the Russians living in their village?
5. How do the villagers react to the shocking news the constable brings them?
6. Two months after Tzeitel and Motel's wedding, Tevye sits on a bench outside his home talking to God. What does he say about Tzeitel and Motel?
7. In Tevye's conversation with God about poverty and hardship, what does he say about being poor?
8. Describe the scene as Tzeitel and Motel's wedding begins.
9. How does Tevye react after Hodel and Perchik tell him that they are engaged?
10. Why does an argument break out during Motel and Tzeitel's wedding reception?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)