|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Tevye's dream, why is Lazar Wolf's first wife angry?
(a) She was always an angry person.
(b) Everyone says mean things about her.
(c) Lazar doesn't love her anymore.
(d) Tevye's daughter is marrying her husband.
2. Perchik tells Hodel that traditions are changing in other places, with boys and girls holding hands and even doing what together?
3. In Tevye's dream, Grandmother Tzeitel calls Motel a _______________.
(a) Clumsy but well-meaning man.
(b) Silly young man in love.
(c) Fine upstanding boy.
(d) Remarkably talented tailor.
4. What news does the matchmaker deliver to Golde and her daughters regarding the butcher, Lazar Wolf?
(a) He has been imprisoned.
(b) His son is interested in Tzeitel.
(c) He's interested in Tzeitel.
(d) He has a gift for them.
5. Tevye tells Lazar that he always wanted a son but _______________.
(a) One a little younger than himself.
(b) Never expected such a rich one.
(c) They're more like brothers.
(d) Never even considered the butcher.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Golde realize once Tevye finishes relating his nightmare to her?
2. After Tevye's celebratory mood is changed by the sobering conversation with the constable, what does the fiddler's appearance represent?
3. Why are traditions important to Tevye?
4. According to the "Tradition" song sung by everyone, what are the "Papas" expected to do?
5. What is Motel's job?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Yussel say when Motel asks if he has a wedding hat for him? How does Motel reply?
2. After much drinking and merriment following Tevye's permission to Lazar to marry his daughter, what do these two say to each other about how they'll be related after the wedding?
3. After Perchik has a conversation with the angered villagers, he and Tevye talk. Summarize the conversation they have surrounding a piece of cheese.
4. Describe the confusion during the conversation between Tevye and Lazar at the inn.
5. Describe the blessing the rabbi gives the Tsar as the story opens.
6. Even though the family is poor, why does Golde gladly allow more people to join them for the Sabbath meal?
7. Two months after Tzeitel and Motel's wedding, Tevye sits on a bench outside his home talking to God. What does he say about Tzeitel and Motel?
8. Why does the matchmaker feel that the shoemaker's daughter is a perfect match for someone in particular?
9. What does the new arrival turn out to be, and why is everyone excited about it?
10. Summarize the story Perchik tells Tevye's youngest daughters while they peel potatoes.
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)