|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Golde finds Perchik teaching her younger daughters, what does she say?
(a) Lesson's over because the girls must help make lunch.
(b) The lesson is interesting but not very applicable.
(c) Lesson's over because the girls have to clean the barn.
(d) The lesson is completely pointless.
2. When the constable leaves after his private conversation with Tevye, what does Tevye ask God?
(a) Why he got such news that day, of all days.
(b) Why the Russians won't leave them alone.
(c) Why he can never win.
(d) Where he should take his family to live in peace.
3. In Tevye's dream, why is Lazar Wolf's first wife angry?
(a) Tevye's daughter is marrying her husband.
(b) She was always an angry person.
(c) Lazar doesn't love her anymore.
(d) Everyone says mean things about her.
4. When Sasha and another Russian harass Chava, what does Fyedka do?
(a) Punches them.
(b) Looks the other way.
(c) Joins them.
(d) Asks them to stop.
5. When Perchik states that girls should also learn, how does Mendel react?
(a) He agrees.
(b) He laughs uncontrollably.
(c) He's deeply offended.
(d) He's shocked.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of shop does Motel own?
2. When Tevye talks to himself about Lazar, wondering whether or not to give permission for the marriage, he says that ______________.
3. Which of the following is part of the Sabbath Prayer song?
4. After Tevye gives Lazar permission to marry his daughter, the men go out into the street drunk. What fact does Lazar point out to Tevye?
5. When Yussel steps into Motel's shop to congratulate him for the upcoming wedding, what does Motel ask him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Hodel upset that Perchik is leaving for Kiev?
2. When we first meet Tevye's daughters, what do we learn about Chava?
3. At the start of the story, what does Tevye share with the audience about tradition?
4. Even though the family is poor, why does Golde gladly allow more people to join them for the Sabbath meal?
5. Describe the scene as Tzeitel and Motel's wedding begins.
6. Near the end of the story, what does the constable tell Tevye and the other villagers?
7. What is the mood at Tevye and Golde's house as everyone prepares for the Sabbath?
8. How are things made somewhat right with Chava in the end?
9. After Perchik has a conversation with the angered villagers, he and Tevye talk. Summarize the conversation they have surrounding a piece of cheese.
10. In Tevye's dream sequence, why does Grandmother Tzeitel sing "Mazeltov" to him and Golde?
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)