|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Tevye live?
(a) Religious commune.
(b) Prison camp.
(c) Small village.
(d) Large city.
2. What news does the matchmaker deliver to Golde and her daughters regarding the butcher, Lazar Wolf?
(a) He has a gift for them.
(b) He's interested in Tzeitel.
(c) He has been imprisoned.
(d) His son is interested in Tzeitel.
3. When Golde and Tevye's daughters sing the "Matchmaker" song, which of the following is NOT part of the lyrics?
(a) Find me a find.
(b) Make me a match.
(c) Catch me a catch.
(d) Bring me a dream.
4. When Yussel steps into Motel's shop to congratulate him for the upcoming wedding, what does Motel ask him?
(a) For a wedding hat.
(b) For advice.
(c) To lend him money.
(d) To please leave.
5. What does Perchik teach Hodel that he says he learned in Kiev?
(a) A song.
(b) A dance.
(c) A prayer.
(d) A poem.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the Sabbath, where does Tevye go to meet Lazar in order to talk to him?
2. What is Motel's job?
3. Motel and Tzeitel have been friends since:
4. How does Tzeitel react when she learns she is to wed Lazar Wolf?
5. When addressing the audience at the start of the story, Tevye explains that in his community balance is kept through what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Motel reluctant to talk with Tevye about his love for Tzeitel?
2. How does Tevye respond to the information that Chava married Fyedka?
3. Once the constable leaves after telling Tevye there will be some mild roughhousing by Russian soldiers coming up soon, what does Tevye say to God?
4. After Perchik has a conversation with the angered villagers, he and Tevye talk. Summarize the conversation they have surrounding a piece of cheese.
5. How are things made somewhat right with Chava in the end?
6. Why does the matchmaker feel that the shoemaker's daughter is a perfect match for someone in particular?
7. Describe the confusion during the conversation between Tevye and Lazar at the inn.
8. Describe the scene as Tzeitel and Motel's wedding begins.
9. How does Hodel defend Perchik as she and Tevye wait at the train station?
10. In Tevye's conversation with God about poverty and hardship, what does he say about being poor?
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)