|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Grandmother Tzeitel praises Motel as the chosen husband for young Tzeitel, what does Golde say?
(a) She must have heard the news wrong.
(b) Lazar is a much better choice.
(c) Motel is just a friend.
(d) Motel is a poor choice.
2. When the townspeople Mordcha and Mendel complain toTevye that he forgot their orders for the Sabbath, what does he reply?
(a) He forgot, and he's sorry.
(b) He had trouble with his horse.
(c) They haven't paid him yet.
(d) They failed to put in their order.
3. What does Perchik teach Hodel that he says he learned in Kiev?
(a) A prayer.
(b) A poem.
(c) A song.
(d) A dance.
4. When Tzeitel and Motel talk while they prepare for the Sabbath, what does Motel tell Tzeitel that he plans to purchase?
(a) Milking cow.
(c) Sewing machine.
(d) Small farm.
5. Tevye tells Golde that in his dream, Grandmother Tzeitel looks pretty good considering that she's _____________.
(a) A transparent ghost.
(b) Been dead for thirty years.
(c) Ninety years old.
(d) Pretty angry at everyone.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the wedding of Tzeitel and Motel, where do the men and women go?
2. When Golde finds Perchik teaching her younger daughters, what does she say?
3. When Lazar finally realizes that Tevye thinks he's talking about buying his cow, how does he react?
4. At the start of Act 1, Scene 2, Tevye enters pulling a cart. He addresses God, asking what?
5. In the first act, what blessing does the rabbi give the Tsar?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Tevye and Lazar react once they realize they've been talking about two completely different matters?
2. Describe the conversation between Yente and Tzeitel regarding Perchik's letter.
3. What does Tevye say regarding the Russians living in their village?
4. How does Hodel defend Perchik as she and Tevye wait at the train station?
5. In Tevye's conversation with God about poverty and hardship, what does he say about being poor?
6. In Tevye's dream sequence, why does Grandmother Tzeitel sing "Mazeltov" to him and Golde?
7. How do the villagers react to the shocking news the constable brings them?
8. Why is everyone taken aback when Perchik asks Hodel to dance at the wedding reception?
9. As people congratulate Motel on his upcoming wedding, why do their well wishes seem insincere?
10. As the wedding ceremony takes place, what do Tevye and Golde sing about?
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)