|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Perchik states that girls should also learn, how does Mendel react?
(a) He laughs uncontrollably.
(b) He's deeply offended.
(c) He agrees.
(d) He's shocked.
2. Tevye's conversation with the constable reveals that _______________.
(a) Nobody in the village can be trusted.
(b) The split between the Jews and Russians is real.
(c) The constable is a wicked man.
(d) The constable doesn't like Tevye at all.
3. What kind of shop does Motel own?
(a) Barber shop.
(b) Flower stand.
(c) Fruit stand.
(d) Tailor shop.
4. After Perchik explains where he came from, what does Mordcha sarcastically ask?
(a) If everyone there is such a know it all.
(b) Why he doesn't try to overthrow the Tsar.
(c) If that is where he learned to criticize elders.
(d) Why he doesn't just go back there.
5. When Tevye talks to himself about Lazar, wondering whether or not to give permission for the marriage, he says that ______________.
(a) Tzeitel would be fine with marrying the butcher.
(b) He never really liked Lazar.
(c) This might be Tzeitel's only chance.
(d) Lazar would make an excellent husband.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Golde tell Tevye about Lazar Wolf as Tevye tries to pray?
2. Why does the matchmaker feel that the shoemaker's daughter, who has poor eyesight, is a good match for a particular young man?
3. When Grandmother Tzeitel praises Motel as the chosen husband for young Tzeitel, what does Golde say?
4. Hearing the news of the upcoming marriage, Russians who were sitting and drinking nearby bestow the following words upon Lazar and Tevye:
5. In Tevye's dream, why is Lazar Wolf's first wife angry?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Perchik has a conversation with the angered villagers, he and Tevye talk. Summarize the conversation they have surrounding a piece of cheese.
2. Several months after Hodel leaves for Siberia, the villagers are running around excited about a "new arrival." Describe this scene.
3. What happens when Chava is left to watch Motel's shop as he steps out for a few moments?
4. After much drinking and merriment following Tevye's permission to Lazar to marry his daughter, what do these two say to each other about how they'll be related after the wedding?
5. What does Tevye say to the audience as he's thinking through his decision regarding Lazar's request to marry Tzeitel?
6. Describe the scene as Tzeitel and Motel's wedding begins.
7. What does Tevye say regarding the Russians living in their village?
8. When some of the villagers complain about the news they read and Mordcha ends up cursing the Tsar and the authorities, Perchik comes to the scene and questions them. Summarize that first conversation between Perchik and the villagers.
9. As Yente, the matchmaker, makes her way to Golde's house while the family prepares for the Sabbath, why does Tzeitel complain?
10. In Tevye's conversation with God about poverty and hardship, what does he say about being poor?
This section contains 1,115 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)