|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the "Tradition" song, each daughter is prepared to marry ____________.
(a) Whoever the matchmaker chooses.
(b) The man of her choice.
(c) Whoever Papa picks.
(d) By the age of twenty.
2. Despite how the villagers feel about Motel and Tzeitel's upcoming wedding, what do they say to Motel?
(b) Good luck.
(c) Be prosperous and fruitful.
(d) How could you?
3. When the constable leaves after his private conversation with Tevye, what does Tevye ask God?
(a) Why the Russians won't leave them alone.
(b) Why he can never win.
(c) Why he got such news that day, of all days.
(d) Where he should take his family to live in peace.
4. After Tevye gives Lazar permission to marry his daughter, the men go out into the street drunk. What fact does Lazar point out to Tevye?
(a) Tevye will be Lazar's papa.
(b) The Russians were rarely that cordial to them.
(c) Both men are the same age.
(d) Tzeitel will be the first of Tevye's daughters to marry.
5. Who stays behind to keep an eye on Motel's shop when he leaves for a few moments?
Short Answer Questions
1. What news does the matchmaker deliver to Golde and her daughters regarding the butcher, Lazar Wolf?
2. After Yussel steps into Motel's shop to congratulate him and is asked a question by Motel, what does Yussel reply?
3. When one of her daughters reminds Golde that Tevye works hard, what does Golde say?
4. When Perchik wants to know why Hodel is so interested in the rabbi's son, what does she say?
5. When Lazar finally realizes that Tevye thinks he's talking about buying his cow, how does he react?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize the story Perchik tells Tevye's youngest daughters while they peel potatoes.
2. What does Tevye say regarding the Russians living in their village?
3. Describe the scene as Tzeitel and Motel's wedding begins.
4. After Perchik has a conversation with the angered villagers, he and Tevye talk. Summarize the conversation they have surrounding a piece of cheese.
5. Summarize the conversation Perchik and Hodel have regarding changing traditions.
6. Describe the blessing the rabbi gives the Tsar as the story opens.
7. In Tevye's conversation with God about poverty and hardship, what does he say about being poor?
8. Describe the confusion during the conversation between Tevye and Lazar at the inn.
9. Why is Golde frantic when she locates Tevye to talk about Chava?
10. By the end of Tevye's dream sequence, what helps Golde to give up on the idea of Tzeitel marrying Lazar and accept that she is to wed Motel instead?
This section contains 1,159 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)