|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tevye claims that without their traditions, the villagers' lives would be ______________.
(a) As cold as a Siberian winter.
(b) As empty as a drained milk jug.
(c) As shaky as a fiddler on the roof.
(d) As lonely as a frightened fiddler.
2. What news does the matchmaker deliver to Golde and her daughters regarding the butcher, Lazar Wolf?
(a) His son is interested in Tzeitel.
(b) He's interested in Tzeitel.
(c) He has a gift for them.
(d) He has been imprisoned.
3. At their wedding, what does Motel place over Tzeitel's head?
4. When Tevye asks Shprintze and Bielke if they want to take lessons from Perchik, how do the girls respond?
(a) They giggle and say yes.
(b) They ask their mother.
(c) They say they're not sure.
(d) They refuse.
5. When the Russians join in on the celebratory song and dance between Lazar, Tevye, and other Jews, what is part of the blessing they offer?
(a) May you have many children.
(b) May we live together in peace.
(c) May life bring you abundance.
(d) May all your dreams come true.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the lesson that Perchik tells Tevye's daughters about Laban and Jacob, what does Laban do?
2. When Tevye sings "If I Were A Rich Man," he says that he'd build a house with one staircase going up, one going down, and the third _____________.
3. After Tevye asks God several "whys" following his conversation with the constable, how does he end his talk with God?
4. Tevye tells Golde that in his dream, Grandmother Tzeitel looks pretty good considering that she's _____________.
5. What common interest do Chava and Fyedka share?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is everyone taken aback when Perchik asks Hodel to dance at the wedding reception?
2. After much drinking and merriment following Tevye's permission to Lazar to marry his daughter, what do these two say to each other about how they'll be related after the wedding?
3. Even though the family is poor, why does Golde gladly allow more people to join them for the Sabbath meal?
4. How does the wedding ceremony end?
5. Summarize the conversation between Chava and Fyedka inside Motel's shop.
6. What ruse does Tevye come up with to convince his wife that their daughter Tzeitel is to marry Motel, the tailor, instead of Lazar, the butcher?
7. As Yente compliments Golde's daughters while they prepare for the Sabbath, what does she say about having a husband?
8. How does Tevye react after Hodel and Perchik tell him that they are engaged?
9. As Perchik and Hodel watch the wedding of Tzeitel and Motel unfold, what do they wonder aloud?
10. Once the constable leaves after telling Tevye there will be some mild roughhousing by Russian soldiers coming up soon, what does Tevye say to God?
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)