|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Tevye and Lazar meet to talk, what does Tevye think they're discussing?
(a) Buying Tevye's little milk cow.
(b) Increasing Lazar's milk order.
(c) Going into business together.
(d) Purchasing Tevye's house.
2. When the two Russians who were bothering Chava leave, what does Fyedka do?
(a) Wraps a bandage around his hand.
(b) Reports their behavior to the constable.
(c) Laughs at Chava.
(d) Apologizes to Chava.
3. When the Russians join in on the celebratory song and dance between Lazar, Tevye, and other Jews, what is part of the blessing they offer?
(a) May life bring you abundance.
(b) May we live together in peace.
(c) May all your dreams come true.
(d) May you have many children.
4. How does Act 1, Scene 5 end?
(a) Tevye gives Golde a kiss.
(b) Tevye dances off with the fiddler.
(c) Tevye collapses and falls asleep.
(d) Golde yells at Tevye.
5. Perchik teaches Shprintze and Bielke outside their home as they do what?
(a) Milk cows.
(b) Peel potatoes.
(c) Wash clothes.
(d) Plant onions.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Tevye tells Golde about his frightening dream, he begins by saying that all the people they knew were _______________.
2. When a beggar gets only one coin this week, he complains that he got two coins the previous week. The donor explains he had a bad week, to which the beggar replies:
3. When Perchik praises Hodel's quick and witty tongue, Tevye says that _____________.
4. Lazar tries to convince Tevye to agree to a marriage between him and Tzeitel by explaining that he's well off and ________________.
5. When Sasha and another Russian harass Chava, what does Fyedka do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What ruse does Tevye come up with to convince his wife that their daughter Tzeitel is to marry Motel, the tailor, instead of Lazar, the butcher?
2. Two months after Tzeitel and Motel's wedding, Tevye sits on a bench outside his home talking to God. What does he say about Tzeitel and Motel?
3. Summarize the story Perchik tells Tevye's youngest daughters while they peel potatoes.
4. What does Tevye say regarding the Russians living in their village?
5. Even though the family is poor, why does Golde gladly allow more people to join them for the Sabbath meal?
6. Describe the scene as Tzeitel and Motel's wedding begins.
7. List some of the rumors Yente spreads after reading the letter Perchik sent Hodel.
8. What happens when Chava is left to watch Motel's shop as he steps out for a few moments?
9. When we first meet Tevye's daughters, what do we learn about Chava?
10. As Perchik and Hodel watch the wedding of Tzeitel and Motel unfold, what do they wonder aloud?
This section contains 1,067 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)