|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Perchik praises Hodel's quick and witty tongue, Tevye says that _____________.
(a) All of his daughters are witty, quick, and wise.
(b) The tongue comes from him and the wit comes from her mother.
(c) The wit comes from him and the tongue comes from her mother.
(d) Hodel has the quickest, wittiest tongue of anyone in the family.
2. As guests enter during the wedding scene, what do they do?
(a) Light candles.
(b) Drop rose petals.
(c) Kneel and pray.
(d) Yell "Mazeltov."
3. Which of the following is part of the Sabbath Prayer song?
(a) May the Lord protect and defend you.
(b) May the Lord shine a light upon you.
(c) May you live in harmony and joy.
(d) May you dwell in the house of the Lord.
4. When Yussel steps into Motel's shop to congratulate him for the upcoming wedding, what does Motel ask him?
(a) For advice.
(b) For a wedding hat.
(c) To lend him money.
(d) To please leave.
5. In Tevye's dream, why is Lazar Wolf's first wife angry?
(a) Everyone says mean things about her.
(b) Lazar doesn't love her anymore.
(c) She was always an angry person.
(d) Tevye's daughter is marrying her husband.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Tevye tells Golde about his frightening dream, he begins by saying that all the people they knew were _______________.
2. After Tevye asks God several "whys" following his conversation with the constable, how does he end his talk with God?
3. Why does the matchmaker feel that the shoemaker's daughter, who has poor eyesight, is a good match for a particular young man?
4. Who is Fruma Sarah to Lazar Wolf?
5. When Golde asks her daughter Chava if she has finished milking the cows, what does Chava accidentally drop?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does an argument break out during Motel and Tzeitel's wedding reception?
2. How are things made somewhat right with Chava in the end?
3. How does Hodel react to Perchik's interpretation of the Biblical story of Jacob and Laban?
4. Describe the blessing the rabbi gives the Tsar as the story opens.
5. How do Tevye and Lazar react once they realize they've been talking about two completely different matters?
6. Why is everyone taken aback when Perchik asks Hodel to dance at the wedding reception?
7. At the start of the story, what does Tevye share with the audience about tradition?
8. How do the villagers react to the shocking news the constable brings them?
9. Where are some of the main characters headed to since they are forced out of their village?
10. How does Golde initially respond to what her departed grandmother, Grandma Tzeitel, reveals to Tevye in his dream?
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)