|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Perchik teaches Shprintze and Bielke outside their home as they do what?
(a) Plant onions.
(b) Milk cows.
(c) Wash clothes.
(d) Peel potatoes.
2. When one of her daughters reminds Golde that Tevye works hard, what does Golde say?
(a) The dairy cows do all the work.
(b) She works hardest.
(c) Traditions are more important to him than work.
(d) His horse works harder.
3. What does Golde tell Tevye about Lazar Wolf as Tevye tries to pray?
(a) He wants to marry one of their daughters.
(b) He will stop by soon.
(c) He would be a good match for one of their daughters.
(d) He wants to talk to him.
4. At their wedding, where do Tzeitel and Motel stand relative to other people?
(a) High up on a platform.
(b) Left side.
5. When Perchik makes fun of traditions that never change, what does Hodel do?
(a) Defends traditions.
(b) Laughs loudly.
(c) Slaps him.
(d) Agrees with him.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the townspeople Mordcha and Mendel complain toTevye that he forgot their orders for the Sabbath, what does he reply?
2. Who stays behind to keep an eye on Motel's shop when he leaves for a few moments?
3. When Tevye sings "If I Were A Rich Man," he says that he'd build a house with one staircase going up, one going down, and the third _____________.
4. When Golde finds Perchik teaching her younger daughters, what does she say?
5. In the "Tradition" song, each daughter is prepared to marry ____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. After Perchik has a conversation with the angered villagers, he and Tevye talk. Summarize the conversation they have surrounding a piece of cheese.
2. After Tevye gives Lazar permission to marry his daughter, the constable appears. Describe what transpires.
3. How does the wedding ceremony end?
4. What does Tevye ask God to help Tzeitel and Motel with?
5. How do Tevye and Lazar react once they realize they've been talking about two completely different matters?
6. In Tevye's dream sequence, why does Grandmother Tzeitel sing "Mazeltov" to him and Golde?
7. Why is Motel reluctant to talk with Tevye about his love for Tzeitel?
8. Describe the blessing the rabbi gives the Tsar as the story opens.
9. Several months after Hodel leaves for Siberia, the villagers are running around excited about a "new arrival." Describe this scene.
10. How does Golde initially respond to what her departed grandmother, Grandma Tzeitel, reveals to Tevye in his dream?
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)