|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Tevye asks Perchik how he makes money, what does Perchik say?
(a) He's a tutor.
(b) He's an actor.
(c) He repairs roofs.
(d) He runs errands.
2. When addressing the audience at the start of the story, Tevye explains that in his community balance is kept through what?
(a) Law and order.
(d) Hard work.
3. Perchik tells Hodel that traditions are changing in other places, with boys and girls holding hands and even doing what together?
4. When the constable leaves after his private conversation with Tevye, what does Tevye ask God?
(a) Where he should take his family to live in peace.
(b) Why he got such news that day, of all days.
(c) Why the Russians won't leave them alone.
(d) Why he can never win.
5. When the Russians join in on the celebratory song and dance between Lazar, Tevye, and other Jews, what is part of the blessing they offer?
(a) May life bring you abundance.
(b) May all your dreams come true.
(c) May we live together in peace.
(d) May you have many children.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the lesson that Perchik tells Tevye's daughters about Laban and Jacob, what does Laban do?
2. Why does Tevye wake up in the middle of the night asking where Fruma Sarah is?
3. In the wedding scene, Tzeitel enters in her bridal clothes, followed by _________________.
4. When one of her daughters reminds Golde that Tevye works hard, what does Golde say?
5. While Tevye is introducing his family to Perchik, Motel arrives. What does Tevye say about Motel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize the story Perchik tells Tevye's youngest daughters while they peel potatoes.
2. How do the villagers react to the shocking news the constable brings them?
3. What ruse does Tevye come up with to convince his wife that their daughter Tzeitel is to marry Motel, the tailor, instead of Lazar, the butcher?
4. Describe the conversation between Yente and Tzeitel regarding Perchik's letter.
5. Where are some of the main characters headed to since they are forced out of their village?
6. How does Tevye respond to the news the constable gives him right after he agrees to Lazar marrying Tzeitel?
7. Why is Hodel upset that Perchik is leaving for Kiev?
8. What is the mood at Tevye and Golde's house as everyone prepares for the Sabbath?
9. As people congratulate Motel on his upcoming wedding, why do their well wishes seem insincere?
10. Several months after Hodel leaves for Siberia, the villagers are running around excited about a "new arrival." Describe this scene.
This section contains 1,043 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)