|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the lesson that Perchik tells Tevye's daughters about Laban and Jacob, what does Laban do?
(a) Throws Jacob into a well.
(b) Abandons Jacob.
(c) Steals from Jacob.
(d) Tricks Jacob.
2. Before coming to the village, Perchik was a university student where?
3. When Tzeitel and Motel talk while they prepare for the Sabbath, what does Motel tell Tzeitel that he plans to purchase?
(a) Milking cow.
(c) Sewing machine.
(d) Small farm.
4. Tevye's conversation with the constable reveals that _______________.
(a) The constable doesn't like Tevye at all.
(b) The split between the Jews and Russians is real.
(c) Nobody in the village can be trusted.
(d) The constable is a wicked man.
5. After the Sabbath, where does Tevye go to meet Lazar in order to talk to him?
(a) The inn.
(b) The market.
(c) An expensive restaurant.
(d) The general store.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Perchik wants to know why Hodel is so interested in the rabbi's son, what does she say?
2. In the first act, what blessing does the rabbi give the Tsar?
3. After Tevye's celebratory mood is changed by the sobering conversation with the constable, what does the fiddler's appearance represent?
4. When Chava and Fyedka find themselves alone, what does Fyedka say to her?
5. What does Golde realize once Tevye finishes relating his nightmare to her?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are things made somewhat right with Chava in the end?
2. Summarize the story Perchik tells Tevye's youngest daughters while they peel potatoes.
3. In Tevye's conversation with God about poverty and hardship, what does he say about being poor?
4. Describe the confusion during the conversation between Tevye and Lazar at the inn.
5. Why is everyone taken aback when Perchik asks Hodel to dance at the wedding reception?
6. Even though the family is poor, why does Golde gladly allow more people to join them for the Sabbath meal?
7. How do the villagers react to the shocking news the constable brings them?
8. When some of the villagers complain about the news they read and Mordcha ends up cursing the Tsar and the authorities, Perchik comes to the scene and questions them. Summarize that first conversation between Perchik and the villagers.
9. Summarize the conversation between Chava and Fyedka inside Motel's shop.
10. How does Tevye react after Hodel and Perchik tell him that they are engaged?
This section contains 1,095 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)