|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is one of Tevye's daughters going to Siberia?
(a) Tzeitel is going to ask for financial help from a relative there.
(b) Chava is running away to marry Fyedka.
(c) Perchik has been arrested and Hodel wants to go help him.
(d) The youngest will be going to school there.
2. Who helps the elderly rabbi to the table?
3. When Yente hands a letter to Tzeitel, what else does she say?
(a) Golde insulted her.
(b) Perchik will never return to Hodel.
(c) Tevye owes her money.
(d) She often spots Chava and Fyedka together.
4. Fyedka comes to Motel's shop, picks up a shirt, and offers congratulations. When he leaves the shop, who discreetly follows Fyedka?
5. In the conversation Tevye holds with God some time after the wedding, he says that Tzeitel and Motel work very hard and are as poor as what?
(a) Squirrels in winter.
(b) Newborn kittens.
(c) Cows without grass.
(d) Birds without a nest.
6. In his conversation with God following the wedding, what else does Tevye mention to God as needing attention?
(a) His dilapidated barn.
(b) The roof of his house.
(c) His cow's health.
(d) His horse's leg.
7. When the matchmaker brings Golde a couple of teen boys for her youngest daughters, what does Golde say?
(a) Her daughters are still too young.
(b) Go away and leave us alone.
(c) The boys don't even have beards yet.
(d) These boys are perfect.
8. When Yente hands Tzeitel a letter written by Perchik, Tzeitel notes that _______________.
(a) The letter is unfinished.
(b) Everyone was worried that Perchik was dead.
(c) The letter has already been opened.
(d) Perchik has been harmed.
9. As Golde and Tevye prepare to leave their village, Golde is sad that Hodel and Perchik are not with them. Tevye tells her that ______________.
(a) The two are on a boat headed to America.
(b) They are busy raising a family of their own.
(c) Perchik sits in prison and Hodel works.
(d) Perchik works at the university and Hodel is raising their child.
10. Some time after the wedding and the ruckus created by Russian soldiers, Tevye sits outside his home, talking to God. What does he start out talking about?
(a) His anger at his daughters.
(b) His anger at the Russians.
(c) His blessings.
(d) His troubles.
11. Long after Tzeitel's wedding, someone asks the rabbi if he's heard the news. The rabbi asks if it's more bad news, and the reply is ______________.
(a) No, good news.
(b) It's not the best, but I've heard worse.
(c) Yes, terrible news.
(d) It depends on how you look at it.
12. Inside Motel's shop, the villagers are gathered to see ______________.
(a) Motel and Tzeitel's new flower stand.
(b) Tzeitel's new dress.
(c) Motel and Tzeitel's new baby.
(d) The used sewing machine that just arrived.
13. As Tevye pulls his cart, Golde finds him. She is distraught. What does she share with Tevye?
(a) Fyedka has kidnapped Chava.
(b) Chava left home in the morning with Fyedka.
(c) Fyedka and Chava are engaged.
(d) Chava is missing and nobody can find her.
14. When Chava tries to talk to Tevye about the feelings she and Fyedka have for each other, Tevye says it would make him happy if _______________.
(a) Fyedka left their village.
(b) She followed her heart.
(c) She would let the matchmaker do her job.
(d) They remained friends from a distance.
15. Who is sitting outside the railroad station, talking together?
(a) Tevye and Motel.
(b) Hodel and Tevye.
(c) Hodel and Tzeitel.
(d) Motel and Tzeitel.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the villagers hear and share that there is big news in their village, they rush over to __________________.
2. Some time after Perchik leaves the village, Yente comes by with a letter she picked up at the post office. It's from Perchik, and it's for ______________.
3. Before Perchik proposes to Hodel, he says that marriage must be founded on ______________.
4. Even though Tevye and Golde are leaving their home forever, why is Golde sweeping the floor?
5. As Yente and other women of the village gossip, the story keeps changing. By the end of their gossiping, everyone mistakenly thinks that who has been arrested?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)