|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Chava begs Tevye to accept her marriage with Fyedka, what does Tevye do?
(a) He hugs her and tells her it's all right.
(b) He sits down and listens patiently.
(c) He yells and refuses to talk to her.
(d) He covers his ears and runs away.
2. From the letter Yente picks up and delivers to Tzeitel, everyone learns that Perchik ________________.
(a) Has been arrested.
(b) Has become a professor.
(c) Is working as a spy.
(d) Will be gone for years.
3. Some time after Perchik leaves the village, Yente comes by with a letter she picked up at the post office. It's from Perchik, and it's for ______________.
(a) The rabbi.
4. When Tevye reluctantly lets Hodel leave, he asks God to see that she ______________.
(a) Doesn't starve.
(b) Doesn't make a mistake.
(c) Comes back soon.
(d) Dresses warm.
5. As the villagers ask Tevye if he's seen the constable and then share with him rumors they've heard, the constable walks in and tells everyone what?
(a) They need to leave their village in three days.
(b) He's looking for more men to join the Russian army.
(c) The Tsar will be stopping by that evening.
(d) He will have to arrest them if they don't go home.
6. Why is everyone shocked when, at Tzeitel's wedding reception, Perchik asks Hodel to dance with him?
(a) It's against tradition for men and women to dance together.
(b) The first dance is reserved for the parents of the couple.
(c) The matchmaker has found someone else for Hodel.
(d) Perchik is much older than Hodel.
7. Right before everyone leaves the village, Chava and Fyedka stop by to explain that they also are leaving because ________________.
(a) They can't live among people who would do this to others.
(b) They are not wanted in their neighborhood.
(c) Feelings are stronger than principle.
(d) Family always sticks together.
8. When the villagers hear and share that there is big news in their village, they rush over to __________________.
(a) Tevye and Golde's house.
(b) The local synagogue.
(c) Tzeitel and Motel's house.
(d) The village inn.
9. While everyone's gathered at Motel's shop admiring the new arrival, Golde talks with Tzeitel about what?
(a) The responsibility of running a shop.
(b) The baby.
(c) Tzeitel's sisters.
(d) Tzeitel's relationship with Motel.
10. When Yente hands Tzeitel a letter written by Perchik, Tzeitel notes that _______________.
(a) The letter has already been opened.
(b) Perchik has been harmed.
(c) Everyone was worried that Perchik was dead.
(d) The letter is unfinished.
11. When Yente hands a letter to Tzeitel, what else does she say?
(a) She often spots Chava and Fyedka together.
(b) Tevye owes her money.
(c) Golde insulted her.
(d) Perchik will never return to Hodel.
12. Despite Golde's protests, what does Tevye decide about Chava?
(a) There is nothing he can do to convince her to come home.
(b) She's better off with Fyedka.
(c) She is dead to them now.
(d) She's too stubborn to reason with.
13. In the conversation Tevye holds with God some time after the wedding, he says that Tzeitel and Motel work very hard and are as poor as what?
(a) Newborn kittens.
(b) Cows without grass.
(c) Birds without a nest.
(d) Squirrels in winter.
14. Through Tevye's conversation with God, what do we learn about Tzeitel and Motel after their wedding?
(a) They're happy despite living in poverty.
(b) They're desperately struggling to get by.
(c) Lazar won't leave them alone.
(d) They're having trouble in their marriage.
15. As Tevye sits and talks to God after Tzeitel and Motel are married, what does he request?
(a) A wife for Lazar.
(b) A grandchild.
(c) A sewing machine for Motel.
(d) Peace in their village.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Tevye's talk with Chava regarding Fyedka, the audience finds Tevye talking with God and pulling his cart. Why isn't his horse pulling it?
2. Why is one of Tevye's daughters going to Siberia?
3. Long after Tzeitel's wedding, upon hearing of big news, the villagers trade _______________.
4. Who is sitting outside the railroad station, talking together?
5. While Yente talks with Golde about possible matches for her youngest daughters, several men come to the house and ask for ______________.
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)