|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Tevye pulls his cart, Golde finds him. She is distraught. What does she share with Tevye?
(a) Fyedka and Chava are engaged.
(b) Chava left home in the morning with Fyedka.
(c) Chava is missing and nobody can find her.
(d) Fyedka has kidnapped Chava.
2. In his conversation with God following the wedding, what else does Tevye mention to God as needing attention?
(a) The roof of his house.
(b) His horse's leg.
(c) His cow's health.
(d) His dilapidated barn.
3. As Golde and Tevye prepare to leave their village, Golde is sad that Hodel and Perchik are not with them. Tevye tells her that ______________.
(a) The two are on a boat headed to America.
(b) Perchik sits in prison and Hodel works.
(c) Perchik works at the university and Hodel is raising their child.
(d) They are busy raising a family of their own.
4. When the villagers are gathered at his shop, why does Motel hold up two different pieces of cloth that have been sewn together?
(a) To show the new dress he's making for Tzeitel.
(b) It's the beginning of the blanket he's sewing for his baby.
(c) So everyone can see the start of the banner for the new flower shop.
(d) To show that he's tried out the newly arrived sewing machine.
5. After Tevye's talk with Chava regarding Fyedka, the audience finds Tevye talking with God and pulling his cart. Why isn't his horse pulling it?
(a) The blacksmith is putting new shoes on his horse.
(b) He figures his horse has worked more than enough that day.
(c) The horse has run off.
(d) The horse still has a bad leg.
6. When the matchmaker brings Golde a couple of teen boys for her youngest daughters, what does Golde say?
(a) The boys don't even have beards yet.
(b) These boys are perfect.
(c) Go away and leave us alone.
(d) Her daughters are still too young.
7. Despite Golde's protests, what does Tevye decide about Chava?
(a) There is nothing he can do to convince her to come home.
(b) She's better off with Fyedka.
(c) She is dead to them now.
(d) She's too stubborn to reason with.
8. Golde tells Tevye that in her search for Chava, she went to talk to the priest. What did the priest tell her?
(a) He swore he would not reveal Chava's whereabouts.
(b) Chava is pregnant and frightened.
(c) Chava and Fyedka were married.
(d) He didn't know anything.
9. Who is sitting outside the railroad station, talking together?
(a) Motel and Tzeitel.
(b) Hodel and Tzeitel.
(c) Tevye and Motel.
(d) Hodel and Tevye.
10. Inside Motel's shop, the villagers are gathered to see ______________.
(a) Motel and Tzeitel's new baby.
(b) The used sewing machine that just arrived.
(c) Motel and Tzeitel's new flower stand.
(d) Tzeitel's new dress.
11. When Hodel prepares to marry Perchik, Tevye worries that there will be no one to perform a proper marriage. Hodel assures him that _______________.
(a) They'll marry under a canopy, according to tradition.
(b) Perchik has everything already arranged.
(c) They'll find the best rabbi in town.
(d) They'll invite him to the wedding.
12. When everyone talks about big news, the audience is led to believe that Tzeitel and Motel _______________.
(a) Received a fortune from a rich uncle.
(b) Just had a baby.
(c) Have separated.
(d) Set up a flower stand.
13. What does Lazar give the newlyweds, Tzeitel and Motel?
(a) Five chickens.
(b) A gold goblet.
(c) Two cows.
(d) A silver platter.
14. While Yente talks with Golde about possible matches for her youngest daughters, several men come to the house and ask for ______________.
15. What does Lazar say when he first stands up to talk at Tzeitel and Motel's wedding celebration?
(a) He has no ill feelings.
(b) Motel better watch out.
(c) Her never stood a chance.
(d) He'll get over his heartbreak eventually.
Short Answer Questions
1. What wedding gifts do Tevye and Golde give to the newly married couple, Tzeitel and Motel?
2. When gossip started by Yente spreads like wildfire, changing along the way, the village blames the supposed woes befalling Tevye's family upon _____________.
3. When Tevye reluctantly lets Hodel leave, he asks God to see that she ______________.
4. Why is one of Tevye's daughters going to Siberia?
5. From the letter Yente picks up and delivers to Tzeitel, everyone learns that Perchik ________________.
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)