|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Right before everyone leaves the village, Chava and Fyedka stop by to explain that they also are leaving because ________________.
(a) They are not wanted in their neighborhood.
(b) They can't live among people who would do this to others.
(c) Feelings are stronger than principle.
(d) Family always sticks together.
2. As Perchik tries to talk to Hodel, who is very unhappy with him, what does he say?
(a) He didn't mean to fall in love with someone else.
(b) He's leaving for Kiev the next morning.
(c) Their dance was innocent and nobody minded it.
(d) He can't stand living in the village any longer.
3. As Golde and Tevye prepare to leave their village, Golde is sad that Hodel and Perchik are not with them. Tevye tells her that ______________.
(a) The two are on a boat headed to America.
(b) They are busy raising a family of their own.
(c) Perchik works at the university and Hodel is raising their child.
(d) Perchik sits in prison and Hodel works.
4. What does Lazar say when he first stands up to talk at Tzeitel and Motel's wedding celebration?
(a) He'll get over his heartbreak eventually.
(b) He has no ill feelings.
(c) Motel better watch out.
(d) Her never stood a chance.
5. Long after Tzeitel's wedding, upon hearing of big news, the villagers trade _______________.
6. When Chava tries to talk to Tevye about the feelings she and Fyedka have for each other, Tevye says it would make him happy if _______________.
(a) She followed her heart.
(b) She would let the matchmaker do her job.
(c) Fyedka left their village.
(d) They remained friends from a distance.
7. Who helps the elderly rabbi to the table?
8. Who is sitting outside the railroad station, talking together?
(a) Hodel and Tzeitel.
(b) Tevye and Motel.
(c) Hodel and Tevye.
(d) Motel and Tzeitel.
9. Despite Golde's protests, what does Tevye decide about Chava?
(a) She's better off with Fyedka.
(b) There is nothing he can do to convince her to come home.
(c) She is dead to them now.
(d) She's too stubborn to reason with.
10. Long after Tzeitel's wedding, someone asks the rabbi if he's heard the news. The rabbi asks if it's more bad news, and the reply is ______________.
(a) It's not the best, but I've heard worse.
(b) Yes, terrible news.
(c) It depends on how you look at it.
(d) No, good news.
11. When Golde asks Yente which daughter gets which boy, what does the matchmaker reply?
(a) The girls can pick.
(b) She hasn't decided that part yet.
(c) It makes no difference.
(d) The boys should decide.
12. When Shandel crosses the stage in a rush and a woman asks her where she's running, Shandel replies ________________.
(a) To Motel's house.
(b) To the marketplace.
(c) To the matchmaker's place.
(d) To see Golde.
13. Inside Motel's shop, the villagers are gathered to see ______________.
(a) Motel and Tzeitel's new baby.
(b) The used sewing machine that just arrived.
(c) Tzeitel's new dress.
(d) Motel and Tzeitel's new flower stand.
14. In the final scene, where does Motel say he, Tzeitel, and the baby will be going to?
(a) New York City.
15. The villagers want to know if Tevye has seen the constable because they heard rumors about _______________.
(a) Soldiers marching to their village.
(b) An increase in their taxes.
(c) The death of the Tsar.
(d) An edict in St. Petersburg.
Short Answer Questions
1. Golde tells Tevye that in her search for Chava, she went to talk to the priest. What did the priest tell her?
2. While everyone's gathered at Motel's shop admiring the new arrival, Golde talks with Tzeitel about what?
3. The boys that the matchmaker brings Golde for her youngest daughters _______________.
4. As the pair sits together at the railroad station ________________.
5. What wedding gifts do Tevye and Golde give to the newly married couple, Tzeitel and Motel?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)