|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Long after Tzeitel's wedding, upon hearing of big news, the villagers trade _______________.
2. As the pair sits together at the railroad station ________________.
(a) Hodel and Tzeitel wish each other good luck in life.
(b) Tevye tells Motel to come back to Tzeitel soon.
(c) Hodel tells Tevye he doesn't have to wait with her.
(d) Tzeitel cries and asks why Motel must leave.
3. As Perchik tries to reason with Hodel, who is very upset, he explains that what happened at her sister's wedding _____________.
(a) Is a sign that the villagers have it in for him.
(b) Is a sign of violence happening across the country.
(c) Was a simple misunderstanding.
(d) Meant absolutely nothing.
4. Before Perchik proposes to Hodel, he says that marriage must be founded on ______________.
(b) Love and devotion.
(c) Mutual beliefs.
5. After Golde tells Tevye what she's learned about Chava, what does Tevye say?
(a) He tells Golde that he will round up a search party immediately.
(b) He tells Golde to go home because they have other children at home.
(c) He screams that he's going to find Fyedka and kill him.
(d) He asks Golde to pray with him.
6. Who is sitting outside the railroad station, talking together?
(a) Tevye and Motel.
(b) Hodel and Tzeitel.
(c) Hodel and Tevye.
(d) Motel and Tzeitel.
7. From the letter Yente picks up and delivers to Tzeitel, everyone learns that Perchik ________________.
(a) Will be gone for years.
(b) Is working as a spy.
(c) Has been arrested.
(d) Has become a professor.
8. When the villagers are gathered at his shop, why does Motel hold up two different pieces of cloth that have been sewn together?
(a) It's the beginning of the blanket he's sewing for his baby.
(b) To show that he's tried out the newly arrived sewing machine.
(c) So everyone can see the start of the banner for the new flower shop.
(d) To show the new dress he's making for Tzeitel.
9. After the wedding, Tevye speaks to God and starts to say, "As the Good Book says ..." but then stops himself. What does he say right afterward?
(a) Why should I tell you what the Good Book says?
(b) Forgive me, I wasn't thinking.
(c) Ah, you already know what is written in the Good Book.
(d) Oops, I forgot who I was talking to.
10. When everyone talks about big news, the audience is led to believe that Tzeitel and Motel _______________.
(a) Received a fortune from a rich uncle.
(b) Set up a flower stand.
(c) Just had a baby.
(d) Have separated.
11. The boys that the matchmaker brings Golde for her youngest daughters _______________.
(a) Are visiting their relatives in the village.
(b) Are brothers.
(c) Have the same first name.
(d) Are the matchmaker's nephews.
12. When Hodel prepares to marry Perchik, Tevye worries that there will be no one to perform a proper marriage. Hodel assures him that _______________.
(a) They'll marry under a canopy, according to tradition.
(b) Perchik has everything already arranged.
(c) They'll find the best rabbi in town.
(d) They'll invite him to the wedding.
13. When Chava begs Tevye to accept her marriage with Fyedka, what does Tevye do?
(a) He sits down and listens patiently.
(b) He covers his ears and runs away.
(c) He yells and refuses to talk to her.
(d) He hugs her and tells her it's all right.
14. As Tevye pulls his cart, Golde finds him. She is distraught. What does she share with Tevye?
(a) Fyedka has kidnapped Chava.
(b) Fyedka and Chava are engaged.
(c) Chava is missing and nobody can find her.
(d) Chava left home in the morning with Fyedka.
15. When the rabbi arrives at Motel's shop where practically the entire village is gathered, everyone asks him if there is a blessing for what?
(a) A colorful baby blanket.
(b) A new dress.
(c) A flower shop.
(d) A sewing machine.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lazar say when he first stands up to talk at Tzeitel and Motel's wedding celebration?
2. Right before everyone leaves the village, Chava and Fyedka stop by to explain that they also are leaving because ________________.
3. Some time after the wedding and the ruckus created by Russian soldiers, Tevye sits outside his home, talking to God. What does he start out talking about?
4. Villagers are asking the rabbi and each other about the big news, which is about a new _______________.
5. After Tevye's talk with Chava regarding Fyedka, the audience finds Tevye talking with God and pulling his cart. Why isn't his horse pulling it?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)