|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While Yente talks with Golde about possible matches for her youngest daughters, several men come to the house and ask for ______________.
2. Even though Tevye and Golde are leaving their home forever, why is Golde sweeping the floor?
(a) She doesn't want to leave the house dirty.
(b) It's tradition to sweep before moving.
(c) She's looking for a gold medallion she dropped.
(d) The activity calms her down.
3. Villagers are asking the rabbi and each other about the big news, which is about a new _______________.
4. When the wedding ceremony is over and the celebrating begins, what does Mordcha say when he asks for silence?
(a) Tells everyone drinks are on the house.
(b) Blesses the couple.
(c) Asks people to not get too loud.
(d) Invites everyone to dance.
5. When Tevye comes in following Perchik's marriage proposal to Hodel, Perchik says he has bad news and good news. What is the bad news?
(a) He broke his arm.
(b) His friends were caught stealing.
(c) He's run out of money.
(d) He's leaving the next day.
6. From the letter Yente picks up and delivers to Tzeitel, everyone learns that Perchik ________________.
(a) Has become a professor.
(b) Has been arrested.
(c) Will be gone for years.
(d) Is working as a spy.
7. After Golde tells Tevye what she's learned about Chava, what does Tevye say?
(a) He tells Golde to go home because they have other children at home.
(b) He asks Golde to pray with him.
(c) He tells Golde that he will round up a search party immediately.
(d) He screams that he's going to find Fyedka and kill him.
8. Where is Lazar Wolf going at the end of the story?
(b) New York City.
9. When Chava tries to talk to Tevye about the feelings she and Fyedka have for each other, Tevye says it would make him happy if _______________.
(a) She would let the matchmaker do her job.
(b) They remained friends from a distance.
(c) Fyedka left their village.
(d) She followed her heart.
10. When everyone talks about big news, the audience is led to believe that Tzeitel and Motel _______________.
(a) Received a fortune from a rich uncle.
(b) Just had a baby.
(c) Have separated.
(d) Set up a flower stand.
11. While everyone's gathered at Motel's shop admiring the new arrival, Golde talks with Tzeitel about what?
(a) The responsibility of running a shop.
(b) Tzeitel's sisters.
(c) The baby.
(d) Tzeitel's relationship with Motel.
12. Right before everyone leaves the village, Chava and Fyedka stop by to explain that they also are leaving because ________________.
(a) Feelings are stronger than principle.
(b) Family always sticks together.
(c) They are not wanted in their neighborhood.
(d) They can't live among people who would do this to others.
13. When Yente hands Tzeitel a letter written by Perchik, Tzeitel notes that _______________.
(a) The letter has already been opened.
(b) Perchik has been harmed.
(c) The letter is unfinished.
(d) Everyone was worried that Perchik was dead.
14. When the matchmaker brings Golde a couple of teen boys for her youngest daughters, what does Golde say?
(a) The boys don't even have beards yet.
(b) Go away and leave us alone.
(c) Her daughters are still too young.
(d) These boys are perfect.
15. Despite Golde's protests, what does Tevye decide about Chava?
(a) She's better off with Fyedka.
(b) She's too stubborn to reason with.
(c) There is nothing he can do to convince her to come home.
(d) She is dead to them now.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Tevye pulls his cart, Golde finds him. She is distraught. What does she share with Tevye?
2. When Tevye reluctantly lets Hodel leave, he asks God to see that she ______________.
3. What wedding gifts do Tevye and Golde give to the newly married couple, Tzeitel and Motel?
4. Some time after the wedding and the ruckus created by Russian soldiers, Tevye sits outside his home, talking to God. What does he start out talking about?
5. Long after Tzeitel's wedding, upon hearing of big news, the villagers trade _______________.
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)