|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lazar give the newlyweds, Tzeitel and Motel?
(a) Five chickens.
(b) A gold goblet.
(c) Two cows.
(d) A silver platter.
2. Golde tells Tevye that in her search for Chava, she went to talk to the priest. What did the priest tell her?
(a) He swore he would not reveal Chava's whereabouts.
(b) Chava and Fyedka were married.
(c) Chava is pregnant and frightened.
(d) He didn't know anything.
3. In the conversation Tevye holds with God some time after the wedding, he says that Tzeitel and Motel work very hard and are as poor as what?
(a) Newborn kittens.
(b) Squirrels in winter.
(c) Cows without grass.
(d) Birds without a nest.
4. As Tevye pulls his cart, Golde finds him. She is distraught. What does she share with Tevye?
(a) Chava is missing and nobody can find her.
(b) Chava left home in the morning with Fyedka.
(c) Fyedka and Chava are engaged.
(d) Fyedka has kidnapped Chava.
5. Even though Tevye and Golde are leaving their home forever, why is Golde sweeping the floor?
(a) She's looking for a gold medallion she dropped.
(b) The activity calms her down.
(c) She doesn't want to leave the house dirty.
(d) It's tradition to sweep before moving.
6. When Tevye comes in following Perchik's marriage proposal to Hodel, Perchik says he has bad news and good news. What is the bad news?
(a) His friends were caught stealing.
(b) He broke his arm.
(c) He's leaving the next day.
(d) He's run out of money.
7. When Yente hands Tzeitel a letter written by Perchik, Tzeitel notes that _______________.
(a) Everyone was worried that Perchik was dead.
(b) The letter has already been opened.
(c) The letter is unfinished.
(d) Perchik has been harmed.
8. When the villagers hear and share that there is big news in their village, they rush over to __________________.
(a) Tzeitel and Motel's house.
(b) The local synagogue.
(c) The village inn.
(d) Tevye and Golde's house.
9. When the rabbi arrives at Motel's shop where practically the entire village is gathered, everyone asks him if there is a blessing for what?
(a) A sewing machine.
(b) A new dress.
(c) A colorful baby blanket.
(d) A flower shop.
10. The villagers want to know if Tevye has seen the constable because they heard rumors about _______________.
(a) An increase in their taxes.
(b) An edict in St. Petersburg.
(c) Soldiers marching to their village.
(d) The death of the Tsar.
11. From the letter Yente picks up and delivers to Tzeitel, everyone learns that Perchik ________________.
(a) Has been arrested.
(b) Is working as a spy.
(c) Will be gone for years.
(d) Has become a professor.
12. In his conversation with God following the wedding, what else does Tevye mention to God as needing attention?
(a) The roof of his house.
(b) His cow's health.
(c) His dilapidated barn.
(d) His horse's leg.
13. When Chava begs Tevye to accept her marriage with Fyedka, what does Tevye do?
(a) He hugs her and tells her it's all right.
(b) He sits down and listens patiently.
(c) He covers his ears and runs away.
(d) He yells and refuses to talk to her.
14. Why is one of Tevye's daughters going to Siberia?
(a) The youngest will be going to school there.
(b) Tzeitel is going to ask for financial help from a relative there.
(c) Perchik has been arrested and Hodel wants to go help him.
(d) Chava is running away to marry Fyedka.
15. Through Tevye's conversation with God, what do we learn about Tzeitel and Motel after their wedding?
(a) Lazar won't leave them alone.
(b) They're desperately struggling to get by.
(c) They're happy despite living in poverty.
(d) They're having trouble in their marriage.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is sitting outside the railroad station, talking together?
2. When gossip started by Yente spreads like wildfire, changing along the way, the village blames the supposed woes befalling Tevye's family upon _____________.
3. When Yente hands a letter to Tzeitel, what else does she say?
4. Some time after Perchik leaves the village, Yente comes by with a letter she picked up at the post office. It's from Perchik, and it's for ______________.
5. What does Lazar say when he first stands up to talk at Tzeitel and Motel's wedding celebration?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)