|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lazar give the newlyweds, Tzeitel and Motel?
(a) A gold goblet.
(b) A silver platter.
(c) Two cows.
(d) Five chickens.
2. Despite Golde's protests, what does Tevye decide about Chava?
(a) She's better off with Fyedka.
(b) She is dead to them now.
(c) She's too stubborn to reason with.
(d) There is nothing he can do to convince her to come home.
3. What wedding gifts do Tevye and Golde give to the newly married couple, Tzeitel and Motel?
(a) Sewing machine and yards of cloth.
(b) Featherbed, goose pillows, and candlesticks.
(c) Kitchen table, plates, and mugs.
(d) Towels and scented soaps.
4. Some time after the wedding and the ruckus created by Russian soldiers, Tevye sits outside his home, talking to God. What does he start out talking about?
(a) His blessings.
(b) His anger at his daughters.
(c) His anger at the Russians.
(d) His troubles.
5. When Chava begs Tevye to accept her marriage with Fyedka, what does Tevye do?
(a) He covers his ears and runs away.
(b) He yells and refuses to talk to her.
(c) He hugs her and tells her it's all right.
(d) He sits down and listens patiently.
6. Why is everyone shocked when, at Tzeitel's wedding reception, Perchik asks Hodel to dance with him?
(a) Perchik is much older than Hodel.
(b) The first dance is reserved for the parents of the couple.
(c) It's against tradition for men and women to dance together.
(d) The matchmaker has found someone else for Hodel.
7. When Tevye comes in following Perchik's marriage proposal to Hodel, Perchik says he has bad news and good news. What is the good news?
(a) He got a job at the university.
(b) He and Hodel are engaged.
(c) He inherited a vast fortune.
(d) He has purchased grain and eggs for the family.
8. When Tevye reluctantly lets Hodel leave, he asks God to see that she ______________.
(a) Dresses warm.
(b) Doesn't make a mistake.
(c) Comes back soon.
(d) Doesn't starve.
9. When Yente hands a letter to Tzeitel, what else does she say?
(a) She often spots Chava and Fyedka together.
(b) Golde insulted her.
(c) Tevye owes her money.
(d) Perchik will never return to Hodel.
10. When everyone talks about big news, the audience is led to believe that Tzeitel and Motel _______________.
(a) Have separated.
(b) Set up a flower stand.
(c) Just had a baby.
(d) Received a fortune from a rich uncle.
11. Some time after Tzeitel and Motel's wedding, why is Hodel upset with Perchik?
(a) He's been rude and arrogant lately.
(b) She's afraid he loves someone else.
(c) He's talking about leaving the village.
(d) He dared ask her to dance with him.
12. When Tevye comes in following Perchik's marriage proposal to Hodel, Perchik says he has bad news and good news. What is the bad news?
(a) His friends were caught stealing.
(b) He's run out of money.
(c) He broke his arm.
(d) He's leaving the next day.
13. In the conversation Tevye holds with God some time after the wedding, he says that Tzeitel and Motel work very hard and are as poor as what?
(a) Squirrels in winter.
(b) Birds without a nest.
(c) Newborn kittens.
(d) Cows without grass.
14. As Golde and Tevye prepare to leave their village, Golde is sad that Hodel and Perchik are not with them. Tevye tells her that ______________.
(a) They are busy raising a family of their own.
(b) Perchik sits in prison and Hodel works.
(c) Perchik works at the university and Hodel is raising their child.
(d) The two are on a boat headed to America.
15. As Yente and other women of the village gossip, the story keeps changing. By the end of their gossiping, everyone mistakenly thinks that who has been arrested?
Short Answer Questions
1. When the villagers hear and share that there is big news in their village, they rush over to __________________.
2. Before Perchik proposes to Hodel, he says that marriage must be founded on ______________.
3. At the end of the story, Yente says she will go where?
4. As the villagers ask Tevye if he's seen the constable and then share with him rumors they've heard, the constable walks in and tells everyone what?
5. The boys that the matchmaker brings Golde for her youngest daughters _______________.
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)