|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Perchik tries to talk to Hodel, who is very unhappy with him, what does he say?
(a) Their dance was innocent and nobody minded it.
(b) He can't stand living in the village any longer.
(c) He's leaving for Kiev the next morning.
(d) He didn't mean to fall in love with someone else.
2. When everyone talks about big news, the audience is led to believe that Tzeitel and Motel _______________.
(a) Have separated.
(b) Set up a flower stand.
(c) Just had a baby.
(d) Received a fortune from a rich uncle.
3. Where is Lazar Wolf going at the end of the story?
(c) New York City.
4. Some time after Tzeitel and Motel's wedding, why is Hodel upset with Perchik?
(a) He's been rude and arrogant lately.
(b) She's afraid he loves someone else.
(c) He dared ask her to dance with him.
(d) He's talking about leaving the village.
5. The boys that the matchmaker brings Golde for her youngest daughters _______________.
(a) Have the same first name.
(b) Are brothers.
(c) Are the matchmaker's nephews.
(d) Are visiting their relatives in the village.
6. What does Lazar say when he first stands up to talk at Tzeitel and Motel's wedding celebration?
(a) Motel better watch out.
(b) He has no ill feelings.
(c) He'll get over his heartbreak eventually.
(d) Her never stood a chance.
7. While Yente talks with Golde about possible matches for her youngest daughters, several men come to the house and ask for ______________.
8. When Golde asks Yente which daughter gets which boy, what does the matchmaker reply?
(a) The girls can pick.
(b) She hasn't decided that part yet.
(c) It makes no difference.
(d) The boys should decide.
9. When Tevye comes in following Perchik's marriage proposal to Hodel, Perchik says he has bad news and good news. What is the good news?
(a) He and Hodel are engaged.
(b) He inherited a vast fortune.
(c) He has purchased grain and eggs for the family.
(d) He got a job at the university.
10. Long after Tzeitel's wedding, upon hearing of big news, the villagers trade _______________.
11. Why is one of Tevye's daughters going to Siberia?
(a) The youngest will be going to school there.
(b) Chava is running away to marry Fyedka.
(c) Perchik has been arrested and Hodel wants to go help him.
(d) Tzeitel is going to ask for financial help from a relative there.
12. When the villagers are gathered at his shop, why does Motel hold up two different pieces of cloth that have been sewn together?
(a) To show that he's tried out the newly arrived sewing machine.
(b) So everyone can see the start of the banner for the new flower shop.
(c) To show the new dress he's making for Tzeitel.
(d) It's the beginning of the blanket he's sewing for his baby.
13. After the wedding, Tevye speaks to God and starts to say, "As the Good Book says ..." but then stops himself. What does he say right afterward?
(a) Ah, you already know what is written in the Good Book.
(b) Oops, I forgot who I was talking to.
(c) Forgive me, I wasn't thinking.
(d) Why should I tell you what the Good Book says?
14. As the villagers ask Tevye if he's seen the constable and then share with him rumors they've heard, the constable walks in and tells everyone what?
(a) The Tsar will be stopping by that evening.
(b) He's looking for more men to join the Russian army.
(c) He will have to arrest them if they don't go home.
(d) They need to leave their village in three days.
15. As Yente and other women of the village gossip, the story keeps changing. By the end of their gossiping, everyone mistakenly thinks that who has been arrested?
Short Answer Questions
1. When Chava begs Tevye to accept her marriage with Fyedka, what does Tevye do?
2. Even though Tevye and Golde are leaving their home forever, why is Golde sweeping the floor?
3. Long after Tzeitel's wedding, someone asks the rabbi if he's heard the news. The rabbi asks if it's more bad news, and the reply is ______________.
4. After Tevye's talk with Chava regarding Fyedka, the audience finds Tevye talking with God and pulling his cart. Why isn't his horse pulling it?
5. Despite Golde's protests, what does Tevye decide about Chava?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)