|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Through Tevye's conversation with God, what do we learn about Tzeitel and Motel after their wedding?
(a) They're happy despite living in poverty.
(b) Lazar won't leave them alone.
(c) They're having trouble in their marriage.
(d) They're desperately struggling to get by.
2. As the villagers ask Tevye if he's seen the constable and then share with him rumors they've heard, the constable walks in and tells everyone what?
(a) They need to leave their village in three days.
(b) He's looking for more men to join the Russian army.
(c) The Tsar will be stopping by that evening.
(d) He will have to arrest them if they don't go home.
3. What does Lazar give the newlyweds, Tzeitel and Motel?
(a) Five chickens.
(b) Two cows.
(c) A silver platter.
(d) A gold goblet.
4. When Chava tries to talk to Tevye about the feelings she and Fyedka have for each other, Tevye says it would make him happy if _______________.
(a) Fyedka left their village.
(b) They remained friends from a distance.
(c) She followed her heart.
(d) She would let the matchmaker do her job.
5. As Perchik tries to reason with Hodel, who is very upset, he explains that what happened at her sister's wedding _____________.
(a) Is a sign that the villagers have it in for him.
(b) Meant absolutely nothing.
(c) Was a simple misunderstanding.
(d) Is a sign of violence happening across the country.
6. Golde tells Tevye that in her search for Chava, she went to talk to the priest. What did the priest tell her?
(a) Chava is pregnant and frightened.
(b) Chava and Fyedka were married.
(c) He swore he would not reveal Chava's whereabouts.
(d) He didn't know anything.
7. When Shandel crosses the stage in a rush and a woman asks her where she's running, Shandel replies ________________.
(a) To Motel's house.
(b) To the marketplace.
(c) To see Golde.
(d) To the matchmaker's place.
8. Before Perchik proposes to Hodel, he says that marriage must be founded on ______________.
(a) Mutual beliefs.
(b) Love and devotion.
9. As Tevye sits and talks to God after Tzeitel and Motel are married, what does he request?
(a) Peace in their village.
(b) A wife for Lazar.
(c) A grandchild.
(d) A sewing machine for Motel.
10. Who helps the elderly rabbi to the table?
11. What wedding gifts do Tevye and Golde give to the newly married couple, Tzeitel and Motel?
(a) Towels and scented soaps.
(b) Sewing machine and yards of cloth.
(c) Kitchen table, plates, and mugs.
(d) Featherbed, goose pillows, and candlesticks.
12. After the wedding, Tevye speaks to God and starts to say, "As the Good Book says ..." but then stops himself. What does he say right afterward?
(a) Why should I tell you what the Good Book says?
(b) Oops, I forgot who I was talking to.
(c) Forgive me, I wasn't thinking.
(d) Ah, you already know what is written in the Good Book.
13. Some time after Perchik leaves the village, Yente comes by with a letter she picked up at the post office. It's from Perchik, and it's for ______________.
(b) The rabbi.
14. When Golde asks Yente which daughter gets which boy, what does the matchmaker reply?
(a) It makes no difference.
(b) She hasn't decided that part yet.
(c) The boys should decide.
(d) The girls can pick.
15. When everyone talks about big news, the audience is led to believe that Tzeitel and Motel _______________.
(a) Have separated.
(b) Received a fortune from a rich uncle.
(c) Set up a flower stand.
(d) Just had a baby.
Short Answer Questions
1. From the letter Yente picks up and delivers to Tzeitel, everyone learns that Perchik ________________.
2. Who is sitting outside the railroad station, talking together?
3. Inside Motel's shop, the villagers are gathered to see ______________.
4. As the pair sits together at the railroad station ________________.
5. The villagers want to know if Tevye has seen the constable because they heard rumors about _______________.
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)