|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the wedding, Tevye speaks to God and starts to say, "As the Good Book says ..." but then stops himself. What does he say right afterward?
(a) Oops, I forgot who I was talking to.
(b) Why should I tell you what the Good Book says?
(c) Ah, you already know what is written in the Good Book.
(d) Forgive me, I wasn't thinking.
2. Some time after the wedding and the ruckus created by Russian soldiers, Tevye sits outside his home, talking to God. What does he start out talking about?
(a) His anger at his daughters.
(b) His blessings.
(c) His troubles.
(d) His anger at the Russians.
3. When Yente hands a letter to Tzeitel, what else does she say?
(a) She often spots Chava and Fyedka together.
(b) Tevye owes her money.
(c) Golde insulted her.
(d) Perchik will never return to Hodel.
4. As Perchik tries to reason with Hodel, who is very upset, he explains that what happened at her sister's wedding _____________.
(a) Is a sign of violence happening across the country.
(b) Was a simple misunderstanding.
(c) Meant absolutely nothing.
(d) Is a sign that the villagers have it in for him.
5. Who helps the elderly rabbi to the table?
6. After Golde tells Tevye what she's learned about Chava, what does Tevye say?
(a) He screams that he's going to find Fyedka and kill him.
(b) He asks Golde to pray with him.
(c) He tells Golde to go home because they have other children at home.
(d) He tells Golde that he will round up a search party immediately.
7. When Golde asks Yente which daughter gets which boy, what does the matchmaker reply?
(a) It makes no difference.
(b) The girls can pick.
(c) She hasn't decided that part yet.
(d) The boys should decide.
8. In the final scene, where does Motel say he, Tzeitel, and the baby will be going to?
(d) New York City.
9. In the conversation Tevye holds with God some time after the wedding, he says that Tzeitel and Motel work very hard and are as poor as what?
(a) Cows without grass.
(b) Newborn kittens.
(c) Squirrels in winter.
(d) Birds without a nest.
10. Long after Tzeitel's wedding, upon hearing of big news, the villagers trade _______________.
11. Where is Lazar Wolf going at the end of the story?
(d) New York City.
12. As the pair sits together at the railroad station ________________.
(a) Hodel and Tzeitel wish each other good luck in life.
(b) Tzeitel cries and asks why Motel must leave.
(c) Hodel tells Tevye he doesn't have to wait with her.
(d) Tevye tells Motel to come back to Tzeitel soon.
13. Before Perchik proposes to Hodel, he says that marriage must be founded on ______________.
(a) Love and devotion.
(d) Mutual beliefs.
14. While everyone's gathered at Motel's shop admiring the new arrival, Golde talks with Tzeitel about what?
(a) Tzeitel's relationship with Motel.
(b) The baby.
(c) The responsibility of running a shop.
(d) Tzeitel's sisters.
15. Who is sitting outside the railroad station, talking together?
(a) Tevye and Motel.
(b) Motel and Tzeitel.
(c) Hodel and Tzeitel.
(d) Hodel and Tevye.
Short Answer Questions
1. The villagers want to know if Tevye has seen the constable because they heard rumors about _______________.
2. Some time after Tzeitel and Motel's wedding, why is Hodel upset with Perchik?
3. Inside Motel's shop, the villagers are gathered to see ______________.
4. The boys that the matchmaker brings Golde for her youngest daughters _______________.
5. What wedding gifts do Tevye and Golde give to the newly married couple, Tzeitel and Motel?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)