|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Hodel prepares to marry Perchik, Tevye worries that there will be no one to perform a proper marriage. Hodel assures him that _______________.
(a) They'll find the best rabbi in town.
(b) Perchik has everything already arranged.
(c) They'll marry under a canopy, according to tradition.
(d) They'll invite him to the wedding.
2. As Perchik tries to talk to Hodel, who is very unhappy with him, what does he say?
(a) Their dance was innocent and nobody minded it.
(b) He can't stand living in the village any longer.
(c) He didn't mean to fall in love with someone else.
(d) He's leaving for Kiev the next morning.
3. When Shandel crosses the stage in a rush and a woman asks her where she's running, Shandel replies ________________.
(a) To see Golde.
(b) To Motel's house.
(c) To the marketplace.
(d) To the matchmaker's place.
4. Through Tevye's conversation with God, what do we learn about Tzeitel and Motel after their wedding?
(a) Lazar won't leave them alone.
(b) They're desperately struggling to get by.
(c) They're having trouble in their marriage.
(d) They're happy despite living in poverty.
5. While everyone's gathered at Motel's shop admiring the new arrival, Golde talks with Tzeitel about what?
(a) Tzeitel's sisters.
(b) Tzeitel's relationship with Motel.
(c) The baby.
(d) The responsibility of running a shop.
6. Where is Lazar Wolf going at the end of the story?
(d) New York City.
7. When Chava begs Tevye to accept her marriage with Fyedka, what does Tevye do?
(a) He yells and refuses to talk to her.
(b) He sits down and listens patiently.
(c) He hugs her and tells her it's all right.
(d) He covers his ears and runs away.
8. In the conversation Tevye holds with God some time after the wedding, he says that Tzeitel and Motel work very hard and are as poor as what?
(a) Cows without grass.
(b) Squirrels in winter.
(c) Newborn kittens.
(d) Birds without a nest.
9. When Tevye comes in following Perchik's marriage proposal to Hodel, Perchik says he has bad news and good news. What is the good news?
(a) He and Hodel are engaged.
(b) He inherited a vast fortune.
(c) He has purchased grain and eggs for the family.
(d) He got a job at the university.
10. When everyone talks about big news, the audience is led to believe that Tzeitel and Motel _______________.
(a) Just had a baby.
(b) Set up a flower stand.
(c) Have separated.
(d) Received a fortune from a rich uncle.
11. In the final scene, where does Motel say he, Tzeitel, and the baby will be going to?
(a) New York City.
12. When the villagers are gathered at his shop, why does Motel hold up two different pieces of cloth that have been sewn together?
(a) It's the beginning of the blanket he's sewing for his baby.
(b) To show the new dress he's making for Tzeitel.
(c) To show that he's tried out the newly arrived sewing machine.
(d) So everyone can see the start of the banner for the new flower shop.
13. Who helps the elderly rabbi to the table?
14. The villagers want to know if Tevye has seen the constable because they heard rumors about _______________.
(a) Soldiers marching to their village.
(b) The death of the Tsar.
(c) An increase in their taxes.
(d) An edict in St. Petersburg.
15. Why is one of Tevye's daughters going to Siberia?
(a) Tzeitel is going to ask for financial help from a relative there.
(b) The youngest will be going to school there.
(c) Perchik has been arrested and Hodel wants to go help him.
(d) Chava is running away to marry Fyedka.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Perchik tries to reason with Hodel, who is very upset, he explains that what happened at her sister's wedding _____________.
2. Who is sitting outside the railroad station, talking together?
3. Villagers are asking the rabbi and each other about the big news, which is about a new _______________.
4. As Golde and Tevye prepare to leave their village, Golde is sad that Hodel and Perchik are not with them. Tevye tells her that ______________.
5. The boys that the matchmaker brings Golde for her youngest daughters _______________.
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)