|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the wedding, Tevye speaks to God and starts to say, "As the Good Book says ..." but then stops himself. What does he say right afterward?
(a) Ah, you already know what is written in the Good Book.
(b) Oops, I forgot who I was talking to.
(c) Why should I tell you what the Good Book says?
(d) Forgive me, I wasn't thinking.
2. Who is sitting outside the railroad station, talking together?
(a) Motel and Tzeitel.
(b) Hodel and Tzeitel.
(c) Tevye and Motel.
(d) Hodel and Tevye.
3. As Yente and other women of the village gossip, the story keeps changing. By the end of their gossiping, everyone mistakenly thinks that who has been arrested?
4. In the conversation Tevye holds with God some time after the wedding, he says that Tzeitel and Motel work very hard and are as poor as what?
(a) Birds without a nest.
(b) Cows without grass.
(c) Squirrels in winter.
(d) Newborn kittens.
5. Golde tells Tevye that in her search for Chava, she went to talk to the priest. What did the priest tell her?
(a) Chava is pregnant and frightened.
(b) Chava and Fyedka were married.
(c) He swore he would not reveal Chava's whereabouts.
(d) He didn't know anything.
6. Who helps the elderly rabbi to the table?
7. Inside Motel's shop, the villagers are gathered to see ______________.
(a) Motel and Tzeitel's new flower stand.
(b) Tzeitel's new dress.
(c) The used sewing machine that just arrived.
(d) Motel and Tzeitel's new baby.
8. In the final scene, where does Motel say he, Tzeitel, and the baby will be going to?
(c) New York City.
9. What wedding gifts do Tevye and Golde give to the newly married couple, Tzeitel and Motel?
(a) Featherbed, goose pillows, and candlesticks.
(b) Sewing machine and yards of cloth.
(c) Towels and scented soaps.
(d) Kitchen table, plates, and mugs.
10. When Tevye reluctantly lets Hodel leave, he asks God to see that she ______________.
(a) Doesn't starve.
(b) Doesn't make a mistake.
(c) Comes back soon.
(d) Dresses warm.
11. What does Lazar say when he first stands up to talk at Tzeitel and Motel's wedding celebration?
(a) He'll get over his heartbreak eventually.
(b) He has no ill feelings.
(c) Motel better watch out.
(d) Her never stood a chance.
12. What does Lazar give the newlyweds, Tzeitel and Motel?
(a) A silver platter.
(b) Five chickens.
(c) A gold goblet.
(d) Two cows.
13. Even though Tevye and Golde are leaving their home forever, why is Golde sweeping the floor?
(a) She doesn't want to leave the house dirty.
(b) She's looking for a gold medallion she dropped.
(c) The activity calms her down.
(d) It's tradition to sweep before moving.
14. When the villagers are gathered at his shop, why does Motel hold up two different pieces of cloth that have been sewn together?
(a) It's the beginning of the blanket he's sewing for his baby.
(b) So everyone can see the start of the banner for the new flower shop.
(c) To show that he's tried out the newly arrived sewing machine.
(d) To show the new dress he's making for Tzeitel.
15. As the villagers ask Tevye if he's seen the constable and then share with him rumors they've heard, the constable walks in and tells everyone what?
(a) They need to leave their village in three days.
(b) He's looking for more men to join the Russian army.
(c) The Tsar will be stopping by that evening.
(d) He will have to arrest them if they don't go home.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Tevye's talk with Chava regarding Fyedka, the audience finds Tevye talking with God and pulling his cart. Why isn't his horse pulling it?
2. When Shandel crosses the stage in a rush and a woman asks her where she's running, Shandel replies ________________.
3. As Tevye sits and talks to God after Tzeitel and Motel are married, what does he request?
4. In his conversation with God following the wedding, what else does Tevye mention to God as needing attention?
5. When Hodel prepares to marry Perchik, Tevye worries that there will be no one to perform a proper marriage. Hodel assures him that _______________.
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)