|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the final scene, where does Motel say he, Tzeitel, and the baby will be going to?
(d) New York City.
2. When the matchmaker brings Golde a couple of teen boys for her youngest daughters, what does Golde say?
(a) Go away and leave us alone.
(b) Her daughters are still too young.
(c) The boys don't even have beards yet.
(d) These boys are perfect.
3. Even though Tevye and Golde are leaving their home forever, why is Golde sweeping the floor?
(a) The activity calms her down.
(b) She doesn't want to leave the house dirty.
(c) She's looking for a gold medallion she dropped.
(d) It's tradition to sweep before moving.
4. As the pair sits together at the railroad station ________________.
(a) Hodel and Tzeitel wish each other good luck in life.
(b) Hodel tells Tevye he doesn't have to wait with her.
(c) Tzeitel cries and asks why Motel must leave.
(d) Tevye tells Motel to come back to Tzeitel soon.
5. When Yente hands Tzeitel a letter written by Perchik, Tzeitel notes that _______________.
(a) Perchik has been harmed.
(b) The letter has already been opened.
(c) Everyone was worried that Perchik was dead.
(d) The letter is unfinished.
6. At the end of the story, Yente says she will go where?
(c) South America.
(d) The Holy Land.
7. In his conversation with God following the wedding, what else does Tevye mention to God as needing attention?
(a) His horse's leg.
(b) The roof of his house.
(c) His dilapidated barn.
(d) His cow's health.
8. While everyone's gathered at Motel's shop admiring the new arrival, Golde talks with Tzeitel about what?
(a) Tzeitel's sisters.
(b) The baby.
(c) Tzeitel's relationship with Motel.
(d) The responsibility of running a shop.
9. Villagers are asking the rabbi and each other about the big news, which is about a new _______________.
10. Through Tevye's conversation with God, what do we learn about Tzeitel and Motel after their wedding?
(a) They're desperately struggling to get by.
(b) They're having trouble in their marriage.
(c) Lazar won't leave them alone.
(d) They're happy despite living in poverty.
11. While Yente talks with Golde about possible matches for her youngest daughters, several men come to the house and ask for ______________.
12. As Tevye pulls his cart, Golde finds him. She is distraught. What does she share with Tevye?
(a) Chava left home in the morning with Fyedka.
(b) Fyedka and Chava are engaged.
(c) Fyedka has kidnapped Chava.
(d) Chava is missing and nobody can find her.
13. Some time after the wedding and the ruckus created by Russian soldiers, Tevye sits outside his home, talking to God. What does he start out talking about?
(a) His troubles.
(b) His anger at his daughters.
(c) His anger at the Russians.
(d) His blessings.
14. As Perchik tries to talk to Hodel, who is very unhappy with him, what does he say?
(a) He can't stand living in the village any longer.
(b) He didn't mean to fall in love with someone else.
(c) Their dance was innocent and nobody minded it.
(d) He's leaving for Kiev the next morning.
15. Despite Golde's protests, what does Tevye decide about Chava?
(a) There is nothing he can do to convince her to come home.
(b) She's too stubborn to reason with.
(c) She is dead to them now.
(d) She's better off with Fyedka.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the villagers hear and share that there is big news in their village, they rush over to __________________.
2. Where is Lazar Wolf going at the end of the story?
3. The villagers want to know if Tevye has seen the constable because they heard rumors about _______________.
4. In the conversation Tevye holds with God some time after the wedding, he says that Tzeitel and Motel work very hard and are as poor as what?
5. As the villagers ask Tevye if he's seen the constable and then share with him rumors they've heard, the constable walks in and tells everyone what?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)