|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Chava begs Tevye to accept her marriage with Fyedka, what does Tevye do?
(a) He yells and refuses to talk to her.
(b) He sits down and listens patiently.
(c) He hugs her and tells her it's all right.
(d) He covers his ears and runs away.
2. Some time after Tzeitel and Motel's wedding, why is Hodel upset with Perchik?
(a) He's been rude and arrogant lately.
(b) He's talking about leaving the village.
(c) He dared ask her to dance with him.
(d) She's afraid he loves someone else.
3. When Golde asks Yente which daughter gets which boy, what does the matchmaker reply?
(a) The girls can pick.
(b) It makes no difference.
(c) The boys should decide.
(d) She hasn't decided that part yet.
4. When Yente hands a letter to Tzeitel, what else does she say?
(a) Golde insulted her.
(b) She often spots Chava and Fyedka together.
(c) Perchik will never return to Hodel.
(d) Tevye owes her money.
5. From the letter Yente picks up and delivers to Tzeitel, everyone learns that Perchik ________________.
(a) Will be gone for years.
(b) Has been arrested.
(c) Is working as a spy.
(d) Has become a professor.
6. As Tevye sits and talks to God after Tzeitel and Motel are married, what does he request?
(a) A wife for Lazar.
(b) Peace in their village.
(c) A sewing machine for Motel.
(d) A grandchild.
7. When the villagers are gathered at his shop, why does Motel hold up two different pieces of cloth that have been sewn together?
(a) To show the new dress he's making for Tzeitel.
(b) To show that he's tried out the newly arrived sewing machine.
(c) It's the beginning of the blanket he's sewing for his baby.
(d) So everyone can see the start of the banner for the new flower shop.
8. When gossip started by Yente spreads like wildfire, changing along the way, the village blames the supposed woes befalling Tevye's family upon _____________.
(a) The fact that everyone danced together at the wedding.
(b) The growing revolution.
(c) Tzeitel refusing to accept the match with Lazar.
(d) Tevye's daughters growing in independence.
9. While Yente talks with Golde about possible matches for her youngest daughters, several men come to the house and ask for ______________.
10. When Tevye comes in following Perchik's marriage proposal to Hodel, Perchik says he has bad news and good news. What is the good news?
(a) He has purchased grain and eggs for the family.
(b) He and Hodel are engaged.
(c) He got a job at the university.
(d) He inherited a vast fortune.
11. When everyone talks about big news, the audience is led to believe that Tzeitel and Motel _______________.
(a) Have separated.
(b) Received a fortune from a rich uncle.
(c) Set up a flower stand.
(d) Just had a baby.
12. As the pair sits together at the railroad station ________________.
(a) Hodel tells Tevye he doesn't have to wait with her.
(b) Tevye tells Motel to come back to Tzeitel soon.
(c) Hodel and Tzeitel wish each other good luck in life.
(d) Tzeitel cries and asks why Motel must leave.
13. Who helps the elderly rabbi to the table?
14. Some time after the wedding and the ruckus created by Russian soldiers, Tevye sits outside his home, talking to God. What does he start out talking about?
(a) His troubles.
(b) His anger at the Russians.
(c) His blessings.
(d) His anger at his daughters.
15. Hodel tells Tevye that Perchik is in trouble but through no fault of his own. When Tevye expresses doubt, Hodel reminds him about the stories of _____________.
(a) Daniel and the lion's den.
(b) Jacob and Rachel.
(c) Abraham and Moses.
(d) David and Bathsheba.
Short Answer Questions
1. Golde tells Tevye that in her search for Chava, she went to talk to the priest. What did the priest tell her?
2. Despite Golde's protests, what does Tevye decide about Chava?
3. Before Perchik proposes to Hodel, he says that marriage must be founded on ______________.
4. As Perchik tries to talk to Hodel, who is very unhappy with him, what does he say?
5. When the wedding ceremony is over and the celebrating begins, what does Mordcha say when he asks for silence?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)