|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When gossip started by Yente spreads like wildfire, changing along the way, the village blames the supposed woes befalling Tevye's family upon _____________.
(a) Tzeitel refusing to accept the match with Lazar.
(b) The fact that everyone danced together at the wedding.
(c) The growing revolution.
(d) Tevye's daughters growing in independence.
2. When Yente hands a letter to Tzeitel, what else does she say?
(a) She often spots Chava and Fyedka together.
(b) Perchik will never return to Hodel.
(c) Golde insulted her.
(d) Tevye owes her money.
3. As Perchik tries to talk to Hodel, who is very unhappy with him, what does he say?
(a) He can't stand living in the village any longer.
(b) He didn't mean to fall in love with someone else.
(c) He's leaving for Kiev the next morning.
(d) Their dance was innocent and nobody minded it.
4. When Tevye comes in following Perchik's marriage proposal to Hodel, Perchik says he has bad news and good news. What is the good news?
(a) He got a job at the university.
(b) He has purchased grain and eggs for the family.
(c) He and Hodel are engaged.
(d) He inherited a vast fortune.
5. When Chava begs Tevye to accept her marriage with Fyedka, what does Tevye do?
(a) He hugs her and tells her it's all right.
(b) He yells and refuses to talk to her.
(c) He covers his ears and runs away.
(d) He sits down and listens patiently.
6. Who is sitting outside the railroad station, talking together?
(a) Tevye and Motel.
(b) Hodel and Tevye.
(c) Hodel and Tzeitel.
(d) Motel and Tzeitel.
7. Some time after Perchik leaves the village, Yente comes by with a letter she picked up at the post office. It's from Perchik, and it's for ______________.
(b) The rabbi.
8. Hodel tells Tevye that Perchik is in trouble but through no fault of his own. When Tevye expresses doubt, Hodel reminds him about the stories of _____________.
(a) Abraham and Moses.
(b) Jacob and Rachel.
(c) Daniel and the lion's den.
(d) David and Bathsheba.
9. When Tevye comes in following Perchik's marriage proposal to Hodel, Perchik says he has bad news and good news. What is the bad news?
(a) He's leaving the next day.
(b) His friends were caught stealing.
(c) He broke his arm.
(d) He's run out of money.
10. When the matchmaker brings Golde a couple of teen boys for her youngest daughters, what does Golde say?
(a) These boys are perfect.
(b) Her daughters are still too young.
(c) Go away and leave us alone.
(d) The boys don't even have beards yet.
11. When the wedding ceremony is over and the celebrating begins, what does Mordcha say when he asks for silence?
(a) Invites everyone to dance.
(b) Tells everyone drinks are on the house.
(c) Blesses the couple.
(d) Asks people to not get too loud.
12. As Tevye pulls his cart, Golde finds him. She is distraught. What does she share with Tevye?
(a) Fyedka has kidnapped Chava.
(b) Chava is missing and nobody can find her.
(c) Chava left home in the morning with Fyedka.
(d) Fyedka and Chava are engaged.
13. Who helps the elderly rabbi to the table?
14. Fyedka comes to Motel's shop, picks up a shirt, and offers congratulations. When he leaves the shop, who discreetly follows Fyedka?
15. The boys that the matchmaker brings Golde for her youngest daughters _______________.
(a) Are visiting their relatives in the village.
(b) Are brothers.
(c) Have the same first name.
(d) Are the matchmaker's nephews.
Short Answer Questions
1. While everyone's gathered at Motel's shop admiring the new arrival, Golde talks with Tzeitel about what?
2. As Yente and other women of the village gossip, the story keeps changing. By the end of their gossiping, everyone mistakenly thinks that who has been arrested?
3. When Hodel prepares to marry Perchik, Tevye worries that there will be no one to perform a proper marriage. Hodel assures him that _______________.
4. The villagers want to know if Tevye has seen the constable because they heard rumors about _______________.
5. Long after Tzeitel's wedding, someone asks the rabbi if he's heard the news. The rabbi asks if it's more bad news, and the reply is ______________.
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)