|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the matchmaker brings Golde a couple of teen boys for her youngest daughters, what does Golde say?
(a) Go away and leave us alone.
(b) The boys don't even have beards yet.
(c) These boys are perfect.
(d) Her daughters are still too young.
2. What does Lazar give the newlyweds, Tzeitel and Motel?
(a) A silver platter.
(b) A gold goblet.
(c) Two cows.
(d) Five chickens.
3. Right before everyone leaves the village, Chava and Fyedka stop by to explain that they also are leaving because ________________.
(a) Feelings are stronger than principle.
(b) They are not wanted in their neighborhood.
(c) Family always sticks together.
(d) They can't live among people who would do this to others.
4. Fyedka comes to Motel's shop, picks up a shirt, and offers congratulations. When he leaves the shop, who discreetly follows Fyedka?
5. At the end of the story, Yente says she will go where?
(b) South America.
(c) The Holy Land.
6. When Chava begs Tevye to accept her marriage with Fyedka, what does Tevye do?
(a) He covers his ears and runs away.
(b) He hugs her and tells her it's all right.
(c) He yells and refuses to talk to her.
(d) He sits down and listens patiently.
7. As Golde and Tevye prepare to leave their village, Golde is sad that Hodel and Perchik are not with them. Tevye tells her that ______________.
(a) The two are on a boat headed to America.
(b) They are busy raising a family of their own.
(c) Perchik works at the university and Hodel is raising their child.
(d) Perchik sits in prison and Hodel works.
8. Where is Lazar Wolf going at the end of the story?
(d) New York City.
9. From the letter Yente picks up and delivers to Tzeitel, everyone learns that Perchik ________________.
(a) Is working as a spy.
(b) Has been arrested.
(c) Will be gone for years.
(d) Has become a professor.
10. In the final scene, where does Motel say he, Tzeitel, and the baby will be going to?
(c) New York City.
11. Through Tevye's conversation with God, what do we learn about Tzeitel and Motel after their wedding?
(a) They're happy despite living in poverty.
(b) They're desperately struggling to get by.
(c) Lazar won't leave them alone.
(d) They're having trouble in their marriage.
12. When everyone talks about big news, the audience is led to believe that Tzeitel and Motel _______________.
(a) Received a fortune from a rich uncle.
(b) Have separated.
(c) Set up a flower stand.
(d) Just had a baby.
13. Some time after the wedding and the ruckus created by Russian soldiers, Tevye sits outside his home, talking to God. What does he start out talking about?
(a) His blessings.
(b) His anger at the Russians.
(c) His anger at his daughters.
(d) His troubles.
14. When Tevye comes in following Perchik's marriage proposal to Hodel, Perchik says he has bad news and good news. What is the good news?
(a) He inherited a vast fortune.
(b) He got a job at the university.
(c) He and Hodel are engaged.
(d) He has purchased grain and eggs for the family.
15. What does Lazar say when he first stands up to talk at Tzeitel and Motel's wedding celebration?
(a) He has no ill feelings.
(b) Motel better watch out.
(c) He'll get over his heartbreak eventually.
(d) Her never stood a chance.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Hodel prepares to marry Perchik, Tevye worries that there will be no one to perform a proper marriage. Hodel assures him that _______________.
2. When Tevye reluctantly lets Hodel leave, he asks God to see that she ______________.
3. When Yente hands Tzeitel a letter written by Perchik, Tzeitel notes that _______________.
4. As Tevye sits and talks to God after Tzeitel and Motel are married, what does he request?
5. When the villagers hear and share that there is big news in their village, they rush over to __________________.
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)