|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Perchik tries to talk to Hodel, who is very unhappy with him, what does he say?
(a) Their dance was innocent and nobody minded it.
(b) He can't stand living in the village any longer.
(c) He's leaving for Kiev the next morning.
(d) He didn't mean to fall in love with someone else.
2. When the matchmaker brings Golde a couple of teen boys for her youngest daughters, what does Golde say?
(a) The boys don't even have beards yet.
(b) These boys are perfect.
(c) Go away and leave us alone.
(d) Her daughters are still too young.
3. Golde tells Tevye that in her search for Chava, she went to talk to the priest. What did the priest tell her?
(a) He swore he would not reveal Chava's whereabouts.
(b) He didn't know anything.
(c) Chava is pregnant and frightened.
(d) Chava and Fyedka were married.
4. As the villagers ask Tevye if he's seen the constable and then share with him rumors they've heard, the constable walks in and tells everyone what?
(a) They need to leave their village in three days.
(b) He will have to arrest them if they don't go home.
(c) He's looking for more men to join the Russian army.
(d) The Tsar will be stopping by that evening.
5. In the conversation Tevye holds with God some time after the wedding, he says that Tzeitel and Motel work very hard and are as poor as what?
(a) Newborn kittens.
(b) Squirrels in winter.
(c) Cows without grass.
(d) Birds without a nest.
6. When everyone talks about big news, the audience is led to believe that Tzeitel and Motel _______________.
(a) Set up a flower stand.
(b) Received a fortune from a rich uncle.
(c) Just had a baby.
(d) Have separated.
7. Long after Tzeitel's wedding, someone asks the rabbi if he's heard the news. The rabbi asks if it's more bad news, and the reply is ______________.
(a) It depends on how you look at it.
(b) It's not the best, but I've heard worse.
(c) Yes, terrible news.
(d) No, good news.
8. Who helps the elderly rabbi to the table?
9. Inside Motel's shop, the villagers are gathered to see ______________.
(a) Motel and Tzeitel's new baby.
(b) The used sewing machine that just arrived.
(c) Motel and Tzeitel's new flower stand.
(d) Tzeitel's new dress.
10. Despite Golde's protests, what does Tevye decide about Chava?
(a) There is nothing he can do to convince her to come home.
(b) She's better off with Fyedka.
(c) She is dead to them now.
(d) She's too stubborn to reason with.
11. When Chava tries to talk to Tevye about the feelings she and Fyedka have for each other, Tevye says it would make him happy if _______________.
(a) She followed her heart.
(b) Fyedka left their village.
(c) She would let the matchmaker do her job.
(d) They remained friends from a distance.
12. As Yente and other women of the village gossip, the story keeps changing. By the end of their gossiping, everyone mistakenly thinks that who has been arrested?
13. As Tevye sits and talks to God after Tzeitel and Motel are married, what does he request?
(a) A wife for Lazar.
(b) A sewing machine for Motel.
(c) Peace in their village.
(d) A grandchild.
14. When the rabbi arrives at Motel's shop where practically the entire village is gathered, everyone asks him if there is a blessing for what?
(a) A new dress.
(b) A colorful baby blanket.
(c) A sewing machine.
(d) A flower shop.
15. As Tevye pulls his cart, Golde finds him. She is distraught. What does she share with Tevye?
(a) Chava left home in the morning with Fyedka.
(b) Chava is missing and nobody can find her.
(c) Fyedka and Chava are engaged.
(d) Fyedka has kidnapped Chava.
Short Answer Questions
1. The boys that the matchmaker brings Golde for her youngest daughters _______________.
2. When Chava begs Tevye to accept her marriage with Fyedka, what does Tevye do?
3. Long after Tzeitel's wedding, upon hearing of big news, the villagers trade _______________.
4. As Perchik tries to reason with Hodel, who is very upset, he explains that what happened at her sister's wedding _____________.
5. Some time after Perchik leaves the village, Yente comes by with a letter she picked up at the post office. It's from Perchik, and it's for ______________.
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)