|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Some time after Tzeitel and Motel's wedding, why is Hodel upset with Perchik?
(a) She's afraid he loves someone else.
(b) He's talking about leaving the village.
(c) He's been rude and arrogant lately.
(d) He dared ask her to dance with him.
2. As Perchik tries to talk to Hodel, who is very unhappy with him, what does he say?
(a) Their dance was innocent and nobody minded it.
(b) He can't stand living in the village any longer.
(c) He's leaving for Kiev the next morning.
(d) He didn't mean to fall in love with someone else.
3. Despite Golde's protests, what does Tevye decide about Chava?
(a) She's too stubborn to reason with.
(b) She's better off with Fyedka.
(c) She is dead to them now.
(d) There is nothing he can do to convince her to come home.
4. Golde tells Tevye that in her search for Chava, she went to talk to the priest. What did the priest tell her?
(a) He didn't know anything.
(b) Chava and Fyedka were married.
(c) He swore he would not reveal Chava's whereabouts.
(d) Chava is pregnant and frightened.
5. When gossip started by Yente spreads like wildfire, changing along the way, the village blames the supposed woes befalling Tevye's family upon _____________.
(a) The fact that everyone danced together at the wedding.
(b) Tevye's daughters growing in independence.
(c) The growing revolution.
(d) Tzeitel refusing to accept the match with Lazar.
6. As Golde and Tevye prepare to leave their village, Golde is sad that Hodel and Perchik are not with them. Tevye tells her that ______________.
(a) Perchik works at the university and Hodel is raising their child.
(b) The two are on a boat headed to America.
(c) They are busy raising a family of their own.
(d) Perchik sits in prison and Hodel works.
7. When Hodel prepares to marry Perchik, Tevye worries that there will be no one to perform a proper marriage. Hodel assures him that _______________.
(a) They'll invite him to the wedding.
(b) Perchik has everything already arranged.
(c) They'll marry under a canopy, according to tradition.
(d) They'll find the best rabbi in town.
8. As Perchik tries to reason with Hodel, who is very upset, he explains that what happened at her sister's wedding _____________.
(a) Is a sign of violence happening across the country.
(b) Meant absolutely nothing.
(c) Is a sign that the villagers have it in for him.
(d) Was a simple misunderstanding.
9. At the end of the story, Yente says she will go where?
(a) South America.
(b) The Holy Land.
10. When the rabbi arrives at Motel's shop where practically the entire village is gathered, everyone asks him if there is a blessing for what?
(a) A new dress.
(b) A colorful baby blanket.
(c) A flower shop.
(d) A sewing machine.
11. What wedding gifts do Tevye and Golde give to the newly married couple, Tzeitel and Motel?
(a) Sewing machine and yards of cloth.
(b) Towels and scented soaps.
(c) Kitchen table, plates, and mugs.
(d) Featherbed, goose pillows, and candlesticks.
12. When Shandel crosses the stage in a rush and a woman asks her where she's running, Shandel replies ________________.
(a) To the matchmaker's place.
(b) To see Golde.
(c) To the marketplace.
(d) To Motel's house.
13. When Golde asks Yente which daughter gets which boy, what does the matchmaker reply?
(a) It makes no difference.
(b) She hasn't decided that part yet.
(c) The girls can pick.
(d) The boys should decide.
14. Hodel tells Tevye that Perchik is in trouble but through no fault of his own. When Tevye expresses doubt, Hodel reminds him about the stories of _____________.
(a) Daniel and the lion's den.
(b) Abraham and Moses.
(c) Jacob and Rachel.
(d) David and Bathsheba.
15. As the pair sits together at the railroad station ________________.
(a) Tevye tells Motel to come back to Tzeitel soon.
(b) Tzeitel cries and asks why Motel must leave.
(c) Hodel and Tzeitel wish each other good luck in life.
(d) Hodel tells Tevye he doesn't have to wait with her.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Tevye comes in following Perchik's marriage proposal to Hodel, Perchik says he has bad news and good news. What is the bad news?
2. Some time after Perchik leaves the village, Yente comes by with a letter she picked up at the post office. It's from Perchik, and it's for ______________.
3. When the wedding ceremony is over and the celebrating begins, what does Mordcha say when he asks for silence?
4. Inside Motel's shop, the villagers are gathered to see ______________.
5. Some time after the wedding and the ruckus created by Russian soldiers, Tevye sits outside his home, talking to God. What does he start out talking about?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)