|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the wedding ceremony is over and the celebrating begins, what does Mordcha say when he asks for silence?
(a) Asks people to not get too loud.
(b) Invites everyone to dance.
(c) Tells everyone drinks are on the house.
(d) Blesses the couple.
2. When everyone talks about big news, the audience is led to believe that Tzeitel and Motel _______________.
(a) Set up a flower stand.
(b) Received a fortune from a rich uncle.
(c) Have separated.
(d) Just had a baby.
3. Before Perchik proposes to Hodel, he says that marriage must be founded on ______________.
(a) Love and devotion.
(d) Mutual beliefs.
4. Through Tevye's conversation with God, what do we learn about Tzeitel and Motel after their wedding?
(a) Lazar won't leave them alone.
(b) They're happy despite living in poverty.
(c) They're having trouble in their marriage.
(d) They're desperately struggling to get by.
5. When Chava begs Tevye to accept her marriage with Fyedka, what does Tevye do?
(a) He hugs her and tells her it's all right.
(b) He sits down and listens patiently.
(c) He covers his ears and runs away.
(d) He yells and refuses to talk to her.
6. As Golde and Tevye prepare to leave their village, Golde is sad that Hodel and Perchik are not with them. Tevye tells her that ______________.
(a) They are busy raising a family of their own.
(b) The two are on a boat headed to America.
(c) Perchik works at the university and Hodel is raising their child.
(d) Perchik sits in prison and Hodel works.
7. Where is Lazar Wolf going at the end of the story?
(b) New York City.
8. Golde tells Tevye that in her search for Chava, she went to talk to the priest. What did the priest tell her?
(a) Chava is pregnant and frightened.
(b) He didn't know anything.
(c) He swore he would not reveal Chava's whereabouts.
(d) Chava and Fyedka were married.
9. Who helps the elderly rabbi to the table?
10. As the villagers ask Tevye if he's seen the constable and then share with him rumors they've heard, the constable walks in and tells everyone what?
(a) The Tsar will be stopping by that evening.
(b) He's looking for more men to join the Russian army.
(c) They need to leave their village in three days.
(d) He will have to arrest them if they don't go home.
11. As Perchik tries to reason with Hodel, who is very upset, he explains that what happened at her sister's wedding _____________.
(a) Is a sign of violence happening across the country.
(b) Is a sign that the villagers have it in for him.
(c) Meant absolutely nothing.
(d) Was a simple misunderstanding.
12. While Yente talks with Golde about possible matches for her youngest daughters, several men come to the house and ask for ______________.
13. When the rabbi arrives at Motel's shop where practically the entire village is gathered, everyone asks him if there is a blessing for what?
(a) A flower shop.
(b) A colorful baby blanket.
(c) A sewing machine.
(d) A new dress.
14. When Tevye comes in following Perchik's marriage proposal to Hodel, Perchik says he has bad news and good news. What is the good news?
(a) He has purchased grain and eggs for the family.
(b) He and Hodel are engaged.
(c) He got a job at the university.
(d) He inherited a vast fortune.
15. As Yente and other women of the village gossip, the story keeps changing. By the end of their gossiping, everyone mistakenly thinks that who has been arrested?
Short Answer Questions
1. The villagers want to know if Tevye has seen the constable because they heard rumors about _______________.
2. The boys that the matchmaker brings Golde for her youngest daughters _______________.
3. When Hodel prepares to marry Perchik, Tevye worries that there will be no one to perform a proper marriage. Hodel assures him that _______________.
4. Long after Tzeitel's wedding, upon hearing of big news, the villagers trade _______________.
5. Despite Golde's protests, what does Tevye decide about Chava?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)