|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Chava tries to talk to Tevye about the feelings she and Fyedka have for each other, Tevye says it would make him happy if _______________.
(a) She would let the matchmaker do her job.
(b) Fyedka left their village.
(c) They remained friends from a distance.
(d) She followed her heart.
2. When the villagers are gathered at his shop, why does Motel hold up two different pieces of cloth that have been sewn together?
(a) So everyone can see the start of the banner for the new flower shop.
(b) To show that he's tried out the newly arrived sewing machine.
(c) It's the beginning of the blanket he's sewing for his baby.
(d) To show the new dress he's making for Tzeitel.
3. In the final scene, where does Motel say he, Tzeitel, and the baby will be going to?
(c) New York City.
4. When Tevye comes in following Perchik's marriage proposal to Hodel, Perchik says he has bad news and good news. What is the bad news?
(a) He's run out of money.
(b) He broke his arm.
(c) His friends were caught stealing.
(d) He's leaving the next day.
5. Golde tells Tevye that in her search for Chava, she went to talk to the priest. What did the priest tell her?
(a) Chava is pregnant and frightened.
(b) He didn't know anything.
(c) He swore he would not reveal Chava's whereabouts.
(d) Chava and Fyedka were married.
6. Some time after Perchik leaves the village, Yente comes by with a letter she picked up at the post office. It's from Perchik, and it's for ______________.
(b) The rabbi.
7. At the end of the story, Yente says she will go where?
(a) South America.
(b) The Holy Land.
8. Before Perchik proposes to Hodel, he says that marriage must be founded on ______________.
(b) Mutual beliefs.
(c) Love and devotion.
9. Right before everyone leaves the village, Chava and Fyedka stop by to explain that they also are leaving because ________________.
(a) They can't live among people who would do this to others.
(b) Feelings are stronger than principle.
(c) Family always sticks together.
(d) They are not wanted in their neighborhood.
10. When Tevye comes in following Perchik's marriage proposal to Hodel, Perchik says he has bad news and good news. What is the good news?
(a) He got a job at the university.
(b) He has purchased grain and eggs for the family.
(c) He and Hodel are engaged.
(d) He inherited a vast fortune.
11. What wedding gifts do Tevye and Golde give to the newly married couple, Tzeitel and Motel?
(a) Towels and scented soaps.
(b) Featherbed, goose pillows, and candlesticks.
(c) Sewing machine and yards of cloth.
(d) Kitchen table, plates, and mugs.
12. When Yente hands Tzeitel a letter written by Perchik, Tzeitel notes that _______________.
(a) Everyone was worried that Perchik was dead.
(b) Perchik has been harmed.
(c) The letter is unfinished.
(d) The letter has already been opened.
13. Through Tevye's conversation with God, what do we learn about Tzeitel and Motel after their wedding?
(a) They're desperately struggling to get by.
(b) They're happy despite living in poverty.
(c) They're having trouble in their marriage.
(d) Lazar won't leave them alone.
14. The villagers want to know if Tevye has seen the constable because they heard rumors about _______________.
(a) An edict in St. Petersburg.
(b) An increase in their taxes.
(c) The death of the Tsar.
(d) Soldiers marching to their village.
15. From the letter Yente picks up and delivers to Tzeitel, everyone learns that Perchik ________________.
(a) Has become a professor.
(b) Will be gone for years.
(c) Is working as a spy.
(d) Has been arrested.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hodel tells Tevye that Perchik is in trouble but through no fault of his own. When Tevye expresses doubt, Hodel reminds him about the stories of _____________.
2. As the villagers ask Tevye if he's seen the constable and then share with him rumors they've heard, the constable walks in and tells everyone what?
3. After Tevye's talk with Chava regarding Fyedka, the audience finds Tevye talking with God and pulling his cart. Why isn't his horse pulling it?
4. As Perchik tries to talk to Hodel, who is very unhappy with him, what does he say?
5. As Golde and Tevye prepare to leave their village, Golde is sad that Hodel and Perchik are not with them. Tevye tells her that ______________.
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)