|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Perchik tries to talk to Hodel, who is very unhappy with him, what does he say?
(a) Their dance was innocent and nobody minded it.
(b) He didn't mean to fall in love with someone else.
(c) He can't stand living in the village any longer.
(d) He's leaving for Kiev the next morning.
2. When Yente hands Tzeitel a letter written by Perchik, Tzeitel notes that _______________.
(a) The letter has already been opened.
(b) Everyone was worried that Perchik was dead.
(c) The letter is unfinished.
(d) Perchik has been harmed.
3. What does Lazar give the newlyweds, Tzeitel and Motel?
(a) Five chickens.
(b) Two cows.
(c) A silver platter.
(d) A gold goblet.
4. In the conversation Tevye holds with God some time after the wedding, he says that Tzeitel and Motel work very hard and are as poor as what?
(a) Birds without a nest.
(b) Newborn kittens.
(c) Cows without grass.
(d) Squirrels in winter.
5. Where is Lazar Wolf going at the end of the story?
(c) New York City.
6. In the final scene, where does Motel say he, Tzeitel, and the baby will be going to?
(d) New York City.
7. When Yente hands a letter to Tzeitel, what else does she say?
(a) She often spots Chava and Fyedka together.
(b) Perchik will never return to Hodel.
(c) Golde insulted her.
(d) Tevye owes her money.
8. While everyone's gathered at Motel's shop admiring the new arrival, Golde talks with Tzeitel about what?
(a) The baby.
(b) Tzeitel's sisters.
(c) The responsibility of running a shop.
(d) Tzeitel's relationship with Motel.
9. When Hodel prepares to marry Perchik, Tevye worries that there will be no one to perform a proper marriage. Hodel assures him that _______________.
(a) Perchik has everything already arranged.
(b) They'll marry under a canopy, according to tradition.
(c) They'll find the best rabbi in town.
(d) They'll invite him to the wedding.
10. As Tevye sits and talks to God after Tzeitel and Motel are married, what does he request?
(a) A sewing machine for Motel.
(b) A grandchild.
(c) A wife for Lazar.
(d) Peace in their village.
11. When gossip started by Yente spreads like wildfire, changing along the way, the village blames the supposed woes befalling Tevye's family upon _____________.
(a) The fact that everyone danced together at the wedding.
(b) Tevye's daughters growing in independence.
(c) Tzeitel refusing to accept the match with Lazar.
(d) The growing revolution.
12. After the wedding, Tevye speaks to God and starts to say, "As the Good Book says ..." but then stops himself. What does he say right afterward?
(a) Ah, you already know what is written in the Good Book.
(b) Forgive me, I wasn't thinking.
(c) Oops, I forgot who I was talking to.
(d) Why should I tell you what the Good Book says?
13. As Golde and Tevye prepare to leave their village, Golde is sad that Hodel and Perchik are not with them. Tevye tells her that ______________.
(a) Perchik works at the university and Hodel is raising their child.
(b) The two are on a boat headed to America.
(c) Perchik sits in prison and Hodel works.
(d) They are busy raising a family of their own.
14. When everyone talks about big news, the audience is led to believe that Tzeitel and Motel _______________.
(a) Set up a flower stand.
(b) Have separated.
(c) Received a fortune from a rich uncle.
(d) Just had a baby.
15. What does Lazar say when he first stands up to talk at Tzeitel and Motel's wedding celebration?
(a) Her never stood a chance.
(b) He'll get over his heartbreak eventually.
(c) Motel better watch out.
(d) He has no ill feelings.
Short Answer Questions
1. Right before everyone leaves the village, Chava and Fyedka stop by to explain that they also are leaving because ________________.
2. What wedding gifts do Tevye and Golde give to the newly married couple, Tzeitel and Motel?
3. Before Perchik proposes to Hodel, he says that marriage must be founded on ______________.
4. The villagers want to know if Tevye has seen the constable because they heard rumors about _______________.
5. Some time after the wedding and the ruckus created by Russian soldiers, Tevye sits outside his home, talking to God. What does he start out talking about?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)