|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Before Perchik proposes to Hodel, he says that marriage must be founded on ______________.
(c) Mutual beliefs.
(d) Love and devotion.
2. Hodel tells Tevye that Perchik is in trouble but through no fault of his own. When Tevye expresses doubt, Hodel reminds him about the stories of _____________.
(a) David and Bathsheba.
(b) Abraham and Moses.
(c) Daniel and the lion's den.
(d) Jacob and Rachel.
3. In his conversation with God following the wedding, what else does Tevye mention to God as needing attention?
(a) His horse's leg.
(b) The roof of his house.
(c) His dilapidated barn.
(d) His cow's health.
4. After Golde tells Tevye what she's learned about Chava, what does Tevye say?
(a) He screams that he's going to find Fyedka and kill him.
(b) He asks Golde to pray with him.
(c) He tells Golde that he will round up a search party immediately.
(d) He tells Golde to go home because they have other children at home.
5. After Tevye's talk with Chava regarding Fyedka, the audience finds Tevye talking with God and pulling his cart. Why isn't his horse pulling it?
(a) The horse has run off.
(b) The blacksmith is putting new shoes on his horse.
(c) The horse still has a bad leg.
(d) He figures his horse has worked more than enough that day.
6. Golde tells Tevye that in her search for Chava, she went to talk to the priest. What did the priest tell her?
(a) He swore he would not reveal Chava's whereabouts.
(b) Chava is pregnant and frightened.
(c) Chava and Fyedka were married.
(d) He didn't know anything.
7. When Golde asks Yente which daughter gets which boy, what does the matchmaker reply?
(a) The boys should decide.
(b) It makes no difference.
(c) She hasn't decided that part yet.
(d) The girls can pick.
8. Inside Motel's shop, the villagers are gathered to see ______________.
(a) The used sewing machine that just arrived.
(b) Motel and Tzeitel's new flower stand.
(c) Motel and Tzeitel's new baby.
(d) Tzeitel's new dress.
9. From the letter Yente picks up and delivers to Tzeitel, everyone learns that Perchik ________________.
(a) Is working as a spy.
(b) Will be gone for years.
(c) Has been arrested.
(d) Has become a professor.
10. When Chava begs Tevye to accept her marriage with Fyedka, what does Tevye do?
(a) He covers his ears and runs away.
(b) He sits down and listens patiently.
(c) He hugs her and tells her it's all right.
(d) He yells and refuses to talk to her.
11. As Perchik tries to talk to Hodel, who is very unhappy with him, what does he say?
(a) He's leaving for Kiev the next morning.
(b) He didn't mean to fall in love with someone else.
(c) He can't stand living in the village any longer.
(d) Their dance was innocent and nobody minded it.
12. As the pair sits together at the railroad station ________________.
(a) Tevye tells Motel to come back to Tzeitel soon.
(b) Tzeitel cries and asks why Motel must leave.
(c) Hodel and Tzeitel wish each other good luck in life.
(d) Hodel tells Tevye he doesn't have to wait with her.
13. As Yente and other women of the village gossip, the story keeps changing. By the end of their gossiping, everyone mistakenly thinks that who has been arrested?
14. Right before everyone leaves the village, Chava and Fyedka stop by to explain that they also are leaving because ________________.
(a) Feelings are stronger than principle.
(b) Family always sticks together.
(c) They are not wanted in their neighborhood.
(d) They can't live among people who would do this to others.
15. While Yente talks with Golde about possible matches for her youngest daughters, several men come to the house and ask for ______________.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the villagers hear and share that there is big news in their village, they rush over to __________________.
2. The boys that the matchmaker brings Golde for her youngest daughters _______________.
3. When Yente hands a letter to Tzeitel, what else does she say?
4. When Yente hands Tzeitel a letter written by Perchik, Tzeitel notes that _______________.
5. As Golde and Tevye prepare to leave their village, Golde is sad that Hodel and Perchik are not with them. Tevye tells her that ______________.
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)