|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Motel is afraid to talk to Tevye about wanting to marry Tzeitel, claiming that he's only what?
(a) A poor tailor.
(b) A plain young man.
(c) An aspiring writer.
(d) A humble farmer.
2. Motel and Tzeitel have been friends since:
(a) Motel moved next door.
(b) They were babies.
(c) The fourth grade.
(d) Tzeitel saved Motel's life.
3. At the wedding, after the rabbi prays over a glass goblet of wine, what do Tzeitel and Motel do?
(a) Take a sip from the goblet.
(b) Present gifts to their parents.
(c) Sing a traditional song.
(d) Kiss each other.
4. What does Golde realize once Tevye finishes relating his nightmare to her?
(a) Tzeitel marrying Motel is for the best.
(b) Grandmother Tzeitel doesn't know what she's talking about.
(c) Lazar is a terrible man.
(d) Tevye made the whole thing up.
5. Tevye's conversation with the constable reveals that _______________.
(a) The constable is a wicked man.
(b) The constable doesn't like Tevye at all.
(c) The split between the Jews and Russians is real.
(d) Nobody in the village can be trusted.
6. What is Yente's role in the village?
7. When Chava and Fyedka find themselves alone, what does Fyedka say to her?
(a) She needs to be more careful.
(b) She must never talk to Sasha again.
(c) He'd like to take her to the dance.
(d) He's seen her at the bookseller's.
8. According to the "Tradition" song sung by everyone, what are the "Papas" expected to do?
(a) Plant seasonal crops.
(b) Work to keep the peace.
(c) Scramble for a living.
(d) Mend broken roofs.
9. When Yussel steps into Motel's shop to congratulate him for the upcoming wedding, what does Motel ask him?
(a) To please leave.
(b) For a wedding hat.
(c) For advice.
(d) To lend him money.
10. What does the spirit of Lazar Wolf's first wife indicate she'll do to Tzeitel?
(a) Haunt her daily.
(b) Drown her.
(c) Drive her out of town.
(d) Choke her.
11. The wedding of Tzeitel and Motel concludes with ________________.
(a) Tzeitel singing the bride song.
(b) Motel stepping on the wineglass to break it.
(c) Tzeitel removing her veil.
(d) Motel throwing his hat into the air.
12. How does Golde react to the news the matchmaker delivers regarding the butcher?
(a) She's pleased.
(b) She faints.
(c) She asks the matchmaker to leave.
(d) She's horrified.
13. When Sasha and another Russian harass Chava, what does Fyedka do?
(a) Punches them.
(b) Looks the other way.
(c) Joins them.
(d) Asks them to stop.
14. When Perchik tells Tevye's family that he's a good teacher, how does Hodel respond?
(a) Says she knows more than he does.
(b) Asks him to leave.
(c) Calls him a con artist.
(d) Expresses doubt.
15. As villagers sing "Sunrise, Sunset," Tevye asks, "Is this the little girl I carried? Is this the ... :"
(a) Little boy at play.
(b) Child who once tarried.
(c) Same child I knew.
(d) Neighbor kid she knew.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tevye explains that in his community, prayer shawls are worn as what?
2. At the conclusion of Act 1, Scene 1, why are Golde and Tevye's daughters hoping the matchmaker will take her time finding them a match?
3. When Motel tells Tevye that he wants to marry Tzeitel, he explains that a year ago, they _______________.
4. As the wedding ceremony progresses, the women of the village sing, "One season following another, Laden with ...:"
5. Tevye convinces himself that by marrying Lazar, Tzeitel will never know what?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)