|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As everyone sings "Sunrise, Sunset" in the wedding scene, Golde says, "Wasn't it yesterday when they ... :"
(a) Were small.
(b) Played hopscotch.
(c) Made mud cakes.
(d) Wore diapers.
2. Tevye tells Golde that in his dream, Grandmother Tzeitel looks pretty good considering that she's _____________.
(a) Ninety years old.
(b) A transparent ghost.
(c) Been dead for thirty years.
(d) Pretty angry at everyone.
3. How does Golde react to the news the matchmaker delivers regarding the butcher?
(a) She's horrified.
(b) She asks the matchmaker to leave.
(c) She's pleased.
(d) She faints.
4. What does the spirit of Lazar Wolf's first wife indicate she'll do to Tzeitel?
(a) Drown her.
(b) Drive her out of town.
(c) Choke her.
(d) Haunt her daily.
5. Chava is reluctant to take the book Fyedka offers her. In the end, she _____________.
(a) Storms out.
(b) Throws it down.
(c) Refuses it.
(d) Takes it.
6. Why does the constable give Tevye confidential information?
(a) He considers Tevye a friend.
(b) He owes Tevye a favor.
(c) He can't keep a secret.
(d) He's related to Tevye.
7. Who steps into Motel's shop when he steps out for a few moments?
(c) The constable.
(d) Lazar Wolf.
8. When Tevye tells Golde about his frightening dream, he begins by saying that all the people they knew were _______________.
(a) At a celebration.
(b) Packing their belongings.
(c) Traveling by boat.
(d) At a funeral.
9. Hearing the news of the upcoming marriage, Russians who were sitting and drinking nearby bestow the following words upon Lazar and Tevye:
(a) Enjoy everything.
(b) Heaven bless you both.
(c) Live long and prosper.
(d) Be well and merry.
10. What does Golde tell Tevye about Lazar Wolf as Tevye tries to pray?
(a) He would be a good match for one of their daughters.
(b) He will stop by soon.
(c) He wants to talk to him.
(d) He wants to marry one of their daughters.
11. When Golde asks Tevye where his horse is, what does Tevye reply?
(a) He's at the blacksmith's.
(b) He ran away.
(c) He's at the veterinarian's.
(d) He was stolen.
12. When Tevye asks Shprintze and Bielke if they want to take lessons from Perchik, how do the girls respond?
(a) They giggle and say yes.
(b) They refuse.
(c) They ask their mother.
(d) They say they're not sure.
13. In the wedding scene, Tzeitel enters in her bridal clothes, followed by _________________.
(a) The rabbi and his family.
(b) Her mother, father, sisters, and other relatives.
(c) Only the women of the village.
(d) Twelve bridesmaids.
14. When Tevye sings "If I Were A Rich Man," he says that he'd build a house with one staircase going up, one going down, and the third _____________.
(a) Extending beyond the roof.
(b) Going sideways.
(c) Extending into the cellar.
(d) Going nowhere.
15. When Tevye first offers Perchik a piece of cheese, why does Perchik decline?
(a) He doesn't want to look greedy.
(b) He just ate.
(c) He has no money.
(d) He doesn't trust Tevye.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tzeitel react when she learns she is to wed Lazar Wolf?
2. When Tevye tells Golde that Grandmother Tzeitel appeared in his dream, what does Golde ask?
3. When Lazar finally realizes that Tevye thinks he's talking about buying his cow, how does he react?
4. When Tevye finds himself alone with the constable, what does the constable tell him?
5. At their wedding, where do Tzeitel and Motel stand relative to other people?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)