|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the constable leaves after his private conversation with Tevye, what does Tevye ask God?
(a) Where he should take his family to live in peace.
(b) Why he got such news that day, of all days.
(c) Why he can never win.
(d) Why the Russians won't leave them alone.
2. At their wedding, what does Motel place over Tzeitel's head?
3. Chava is reluctant to take the book Fyedka offers her. In the end, she _____________.
(a) Throws it down.
(b) Storms out.
(c) Takes it.
(d) Refuses it.
4. When Tzeitel and Motel talk while they prepare for the Sabbath, what does Motel tell Tzeitel that he plans to purchase?
(a) Milking cow.
(c) Small farm.
(d) Sewing machine.
5. In the first act, what blessing does the rabbi give the Tsar?
(a) Bless him and keep him out of trouble.
(b) Abundant tasks to keep him occupied.
(c) Bless him and keep him away from their village.
(d) Abundant patience and tolerance.
6. What does the spirit of Lazar Wolf's first wife indicate she'll do to Tzeitel?
(a) Drown her.
(b) Drive her out of town.
(c) Choke her.
(d) Haunt her daily.
7. After the Sabbath, where does Tevye go to meet Lazar in order to talk to him?
(a) The inn.
(b) The general store.
(c) The market.
(d) An expensive restaurant.
8. Hearing the news of the upcoming marriage, Russians who were sitting and drinking nearby bestow the following words upon Lazar and Tevye:
(a) Be well and merry.
(b) Heaven bless you both.
(c) Enjoy everything.
(d) Live long and prosper.
9. When Golde asks Tevye where his horse is, what does Tevye reply?
(a) He was stolen.
(b) He's at the blacksmith's.
(c) He's at the veterinarian's.
(d) He ran away.
10. When the two Russians who were bothering Chava leave, what does Fyedka do?
(a) Apologizes to Chava.
(b) Wraps a bandage around his hand.
(c) Laughs at Chava.
(d) Reports their behavior to the constable.
11. How does Act 1, Scene 5 end?
(a) Golde yells at Tevye.
(b) Tevye collapses and falls asleep.
(c) Tevye gives Golde a kiss.
(d) Tevye dances off with the fiddler.
12. When Golde asks her daughter Chava if she has finished milking the cows, what does Chava accidentally drop?
(a) A Book.
(b) A Love letter.
(c) A Milk jug.
(d) A Candle.
13. At Motel and Tzeitel's wedding, who wonders if they'll be married one day?
(a) The village's bachelors.
(b) Perchik and Hodel.
(c) Tevye's youngest daughters.
(d) Chava and Fyedka.
14. In the wedding scene, Tzeitel enters in her bridal clothes, followed by _________________.
(a) Her mother, father, sisters, and other relatives.
(b) The rabbi and his family.
(c) Only the women of the village.
(d) Twelve bridesmaids.
15. Perchik tells Hodel that traditions are changing in other places, with boys and girls holding hands and even doing what together?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Tevye live?
2. When Tevye and Lazar meet to talk, what does Tevye think they're discussing?
3. With Tevye, Lazar, and other men roaming the streets drunk, the constable appears. What does he ask?
4. After teaching Tevye's daughters the story of Laban and Jacob, what does Perchik say is the moral of the story?
5. When a beggar gets only one coin this week, he complains that he got two coins the previous week. The donor explains he had a bad week, to which the beggar replies:
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)