|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Tevye first offers Perchik a piece of cheese, why does Perchik decline?
(a) He has no money.
(b) He doesn't trust Tevye.
(c) He doesn't want to look greedy.
(d) He just ate.
2. In the first act, what blessing does the rabbi give the Tsar?
(a) Bless him and keep him out of trouble.
(b) Abundant tasks to keep him occupied.
(c) Bless him and keep him away from their village.
(d) Abundant patience and tolerance.
3. When Perchik makes fun of traditions that never change, what does Hodel do?
(a) Defends traditions.
(b) Laughs loudly.
(c) Agrees with him.
(d) Slaps him.
4. When Hodel comments on Perchik's lesson about Laban and Jacob, what does she say?
(a) The story has nothing to do with her sisters.
(b) She never heard that story before.
(c) The rabbi would have a different interpretation.
(d) He doesn't know what he's talking about.
5. At the wedding, after the rabbi prays over a glass goblet of wine, what do Tzeitel and Motel do?
(a) Take a sip from the goblet.
(b) Kiss each other.
(c) Sing a traditional song.
(d) Present gifts to their parents.
6. When one of her daughters reminds Golde that Tevye works hard, what does Golde say?
(a) Traditions are more important to him than work.
(b) She works hardest.
(c) His horse works harder.
(d) The dairy cows do all the work.
7. At their wedding, where do Tzeitel and Motel stand relative to other people?
(c) Left side.
(d) High up on a platform.
8. When Yussel steps into Motel's shop to congratulate him for the upcoming wedding, what does Motel ask him?
(a) To lend him money.
(b) For a wedding hat.
(c) For advice.
(d) To please leave.
9. In the lesson that Perchik tells Tevye's daughters about Laban and Jacob, what does Laban do?
(a) Throws Jacob into a well.
(b) Tricks Jacob.
(c) Abandons Jacob.
(d) Steals from Jacob.
10. What is Motel's job?
11. What kind of shop does Motel own?
(a) Fruit stand.
(b) Flower stand.
(c) Tailor shop.
(d) Barber shop.
12. Tevye tells Lazar that he always wanted a son but _______________.
(a) One a little younger than himself.
(b) Never even considered the butcher.
(c) Never expected such a rich one.
(d) They're more like brothers.
13. How does Act 1, Scene 5 end?
(a) Golde yells at Tevye.
(b) Tevye gives Golde a kiss.
(c) Tevye dances off with the fiddler.
(d) Tevye collapses and falls asleep.
14. When Tzeitel and Motel talk while they prepare for the Sabbath, what does Motel tell Tzeitel that he plans to purchase?
(a) Small farm.
(c) Sewing machine.
(d) Milking cow.
15. As the wedding ceremony progresses, the women of the village sing, "One season following another, Laden with ...:"
(a) Laughter and fighting.
(b) Happiness and tears.
(c) Trouble and toil.
(d) Daily doses of elation.
Short Answer Questions
1. Perchik teaches Shprintze and Bielke outside their home as they do what?
2. While Tevye is introducing his family to Perchik, Motel arrives. What does Tevye say about Motel?
3. Why does the matchmaker feel that the shoemaker's daughter, who has poor eyesight, is a good match for a particular young man?
4. In Tevye's dream, why is Lazar Wolf's first wife angry?
5. Before coming to the village, Perchik was a university student where?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)