|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the wedding, after the rabbi prays over a glass goblet of wine, what do Tzeitel and Motel do?
(a) Kiss each other.
(b) Present gifts to their parents.
(c) Sing a traditional song.
(d) Take a sip from the goblet.
2. Hearing the news of the upcoming marriage, Russians who were sitting and drinking nearby bestow the following words upon Lazar and Tevye:
(a) Enjoy everything.
(b) Live long and prosper.
(c) Heaven bless you both.
(d) Be well and merry.
3. When Tevye tells Golde about his frightening dream, he begins by saying that all the people they knew were _______________.
(a) At a funeral.
(b) At a celebration.
(c) Packing their belongings.
(d) Traveling by boat.
4. After Golde talks to Tevye about Lazar Wolf, what does Tevye agree to do?
(a) Talk to him after the Sabbath.
(b) Invite him to dinner.
(c) Offer one of his daughters for marriage.
(d) Ask Lazar what he thinks of the eldest daughter.
5. After taking the cheese Tevye offers, what does Perchik say about the rich?
(a) They are criminals.
(b) They eat too much.
(c) He wants to be like them.
(d) He admires them.
6. Where does Tevye live?
(a) Large city.
(b) Small village.
(c) Religious commune.
(d) Prison camp.
7. How does Tzeitel react when she learns she is to wed Lazar Wolf?
(a) She screams and faints.
(b) She shouts in anger and frustration.
(c) She runs away in tears.
(d) She cries and says she can't marry him.
8. With Tevye, Lazar, and other men roaming the streets drunk, the constable appears. What does he ask?
(a) What they are celebrating.
(b) Why they are being so loud.
(c) If their wives know where they are.
(d) If they know what time it is.
9. When a beggar gets only one coin this week, he complains that he got two coins the previous week. The donor explains he had a bad week, to which the beggar replies:
(a) What's the donor hiding in his coat pocket?
(b) It's all right so long as he gets three coins next week.
(c) Why should he suffer for someone else's bad week?
(d) He can't afford a bad week.
10. When one of her daughters reminds Golde that Tevye works hard, what does Golde say?
(a) His horse works harder.
(b) Traditions are more important to him than work.
(c) The dairy cows do all the work.
(d) She works hardest.
11. What common interest do Chava and Fyedka share?
(d) Historical trivia.
12. At the start of Act 1, Scene 2, Tevye enters pulling a cart. He addresses God, asking what?
(a) Where he can find the riches he wants.
(b) When his daughters will marry.
(c) Whose idea it was to make him a milkman.
(d) Why his life continues to be so difficult.
13. Motel and Tzeitel have been friends since:
(a) They were babies.
(b) Tzeitel saved Motel's life.
(c) Motel moved next door.
(d) The fourth grade.
14. What does Golde tell Tevye about Lazar Wolf as Tevye tries to pray?
(a) He will stop by soon.
(b) He would be a good match for one of their daughters.
(c) He wants to marry one of their daughters.
(d) He wants to talk to him.
15. Tevye's conversation with the constable reveals that _______________.
(a) The split between the Jews and Russians is real.
(b) The constable doesn't like Tevye at all.
(c) The constable is a wicked man.
(d) Nobody in the village can be trusted.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Tevye asks God several "whys" following his conversation with the constable, how does he end his talk with God?
2. When the two Russians who were bothering Chava leave, what does Fyedka do?
3. When Tevye and Lazar meet to talk, what does Tevye think they're discussing?
4. When Motel tells Tevye that he wants to marry Tzeitel, he explains that a year ago, they _______________.
5. Once Tevye and Lazar agree to an arranged marriage between Lazar and Tzeitel, what do the men drink to?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)