|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Perchik tells Hodel that traditions are changing in other places, with boys and girls holding hands and even doing what together?
2. When Tevye tells Golde about his frightening dream, he begins by saying that all the people they knew were _______________.
(a) Traveling by boat.
(b) At a funeral.
(c) At a celebration.
(d) Packing their belongings.
3. After taking the cheese Tevye offers, what does Perchik say about the rich?
(a) He wants to be like them.
(b) They are criminals.
(c) He admires them.
(d) They eat too much.
4. After the Sabbath, where does Tevye go to meet Lazar in order to talk to him?
(a) The inn.
(b) The general store.
(c) The market.
(d) An expensive restaurant.
5. When Chava and Fyedka find themselves alone, what does Fyedka say to her?
(a) She must never talk to Sasha again.
(b) She needs to be more careful.
(c) He'd like to take her to the dance.
(d) He's seen her at the bookseller's.
6. When Perchik makes fun of traditions that never change, what does Hodel do?
(a) Defends traditions.
(b) Agrees with him.
(c) Laughs loudly.
(d) Slaps him.
7. Why does the matchmaker feel that the shoemaker's daughter, who has poor eyesight, is a good match for a particular young man?
(a) He can't hear well.
(b) He can afford to buy her glasses.
(c) He's not much to look at.
(d) He's twice her age.
8. According to the "Tradition" song, what are the "Mamas" expected to do?
(a) Teach daughters to read.
(b) Feed the husband and wash clothes.
(c) Raise the family and run the home.
(d) Teach sons to pray.
9. When Lazar finally realizes that Tevye thinks he's talking about buying his cow, how does he react?
(a) Faints with shock and is resuscitated by the bartender.
(b) Scolds Tevye for thinking such a thing.
(c) Laughs and explains he's talking about marrying Tzeitel.
(d) Tells Tevye he can't possibly compare Tzeitel to a cow.
10. How do the villagers feel about the news that Tzeitel will be marrying Motel instead of Lazar?
(a) Nobody cares who gets married as long as there will be a celebration.
(b) They wonder why she's marrying a poor man instead of a wealthy one.
(c) They wonder who would force her to marry Motel.
(d) They are overjoyed because Motel is a much better match.
11. How does Tevye react when he first learns that Lazar is interested in Tzeitel?
(a) He's angry.
(b) He says Lazar is way too old.
(c) He's surprised.
(d) He laughs uncontrollably.
12. As everyone prepares for the Sabbath, what does Tzeitel tell Motel when they are alone?
(a) They don't have enough food for everyone.
(b) The matchmaker had stopped by.
(c) She doesn't trust Perchik.
(d) She doesn't like Lazar.
13. Tevye claims that without their traditions, the villagers' lives would be ______________.
(a) As cold as a Siberian winter.
(b) As lonely as a frightened fiddler.
(c) As empty as a drained milk jug.
(d) As shaky as a fiddler on the roof.
14. Who stays behind to keep an eye on Motel's shop when he leaves for a few moments?
15. How many children does the matchmaker have?
(b) Three sons and a daughter.
(c) Two daughters.
(d) One son.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Tevye tells Golde that Grandmother Tzeitel appeared in his dream, what does Golde ask?
2. What does Golde tell Tevye about Lazar Wolf as Tevye tries to pray?
3. What kind of shop does Motel own?
4. Who is Fruma Sarah to Lazar Wolf?
5. Tevye tells Lazar that he always wanted a son but _______________.
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)