|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Golde asks her daughter Chava if she has finished milking the cows, what does Chava accidentally drop?
(a) A Milk jug.
(b) A Book.
(c) A Love letter.
(d) A Candle.
2. When the two Russians who were bothering Chava leave, what does Fyedka do?
(a) Apologizes to Chava.
(b) Reports their behavior to the constable.
(c) Laughs at Chava.
(d) Wraps a bandage around his hand.
3. How does Tevye react when he first learns that Lazar is interested in Tzeitel?
(a) He's angry.
(b) He laughs uncontrollably.
(c) He says Lazar is way too old.
(d) He's surprised.
4. When Perchik makes fun of traditions that never change, what does Hodel do?
(a) Slaps him.
(b) Agrees with him.
(c) Defends traditions.
(d) Laughs loudly.
5. How do the villagers feel about the news that Tzeitel will be marrying Motel instead of Lazar?
(a) They wonder who would force her to marry Motel.
(b) They are overjoyed because Motel is a much better match.
(c) Nobody cares who gets married as long as there will be a celebration.
(d) They wonder why she's marrying a poor man instead of a wealthy one.
6. Which of the following is part of the Sabbath Prayer song?
(a) May you dwell in the house of the Lord.
(b) May the Lord protect and defend you.
(c) May you live in harmony and joy.
(d) May the Lord shine a light upon you.
7. After Yussel steps into Motel's shop to congratulate him and is asked a question by Motel, what does Yussel reply?
(a) He wants to know why Motel would be so rude to him.
(b) He's no good at dispensing advice, particularly about women.
(c) He has an expensive hat that Lazar Wolf ordered.
(d) He'll gladly lend Motel money.
8. When Motel tells Tevye that he wants to marry Tzeitel, he explains that a year ago, they _______________.
(a) Made a pledge to marry each other.
(b) Decided to marry each other and move to America.
(c) Were secretly engaged.
(d) Fell in love with each other.
9. When Lazar finally realizes that Tevye thinks he's talking about buying his cow, how does he react?
(a) Faints with shock and is resuscitated by the bartender.
(b) Laughs and explains he's talking about marrying Tzeitel.
(c) Tells Tevye he can't possibly compare Tzeitel to a cow.
(d) Scolds Tevye for thinking such a thing.
10. Where does Lazar say he sees Tzeitel every Thursday?
(a) The library.
(b) The bank.
(c) His butcher shop.
(d) The produce market.
11. Lazar tries to convince Tevye to agree to a marriage between him and Tzeitel by explaining that he's well off and ________________.
(a) He has a very big house.
(b) She'll have nice clothes and furniture.
(c) She wouldn't have to clean because he has a housekeeper.
(d) He'll take good care of her.
12. When Yussel steps into Motel's shop to congratulate him for the upcoming wedding, what does Motel ask him?
(a) To please leave.
(b) For advice.
(c) For a wedding hat.
(d) To lend him money.
13. At the conclusion of Act 1, Scene 1, why are Golde and Tevye's daughters hoping the matchmaker will take her time finding them a match?
(a) They want to finish school first.
(b) They're scared of getting stuck with a bad husband.
(c) They don't want to leave their parents and sisters.
(d) They want to travel and see the world before getting married.
14. Why does the matchmaker feel that the shoemaker's daughter, who has poor eyesight, is a good match for a particular young man?
(a) He can't hear well.
(b) He's not much to look at.
(c) He's twice her age.
(d) He can afford to buy her glasses.
15. When Avram waves a newspaper, what terrible news from another town does he announce?
(a) The Tsar arrested town leaders.
(b) A flood devastated the town.
(c) All the Jews were evicted.
(d) Russian soldiers attacked the Jews.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Tzeitel and Motel talk while they prepare for the Sabbath, what does Motel tell Tzeitel that he plans to purchase?
2. When Tevye tells Golde about his frightening dream, he begins by saying that all the people they knew were _______________.
3. At the start of Act 1, Scene 2, Tevye enters pulling a cart. He addresses God, asking what?
4. As guests enter during the wedding scene, what do they do?
5. Tevye tells Lazar that he always wanted a son but _______________.
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)