|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Tevye tries to correct Grandmother Tzeitel on behalf of Golde, what does the grandmother say?
(a) A young woman should be able to choose who she marries.
(b) Lazar is a good for nothing drunkard.
(c) She's certain her granddaughter is supposed to marry Motel.
(d) She knows Lazar Wolf would be a terrible husband.
2. When Perchik praises Hodel's quick and witty tongue, Tevye says that _____________.
(a) The wit comes from him and the tongue comes from her mother.
(b) Hodel has the quickest, wittiest tongue of anyone in the family.
(c) All of his daughters are witty, quick, and wise.
(d) The tongue comes from him and the wit comes from her mother.
3. In Tevye's dream, why is Lazar Wolf's first wife angry?
(a) Everyone says mean things about her.
(b) She was always an angry person.
(c) Lazar doesn't love her anymore.
(d) Tevye's daughter is marrying her husband.
4. Tevye convinces himself that by marrying Lazar, Tzeitel will never know what?
5. When the Russians join in on the celebratory song and dance between Lazar, Tevye, and other Jews, what is part of the blessing they offer?
(a) May life bring you abundance.
(b) May we live together in peace.
(c) May you have many children.
(d) May all your dreams come true.
6. When Chava and Fyedka find themselves alone, what does Fyedka say to her?
(a) She must never talk to Sasha again.
(b) He's seen her at the bookseller's.
(c) He'd like to take her to the dance.
(d) She needs to be more careful.
7. In the wedding scene, Tzeitel enters in her bridal clothes, followed by _________________.
(a) Her mother, father, sisters, and other relatives.
(b) Only the women of the village.
(c) The rabbi and his family.
(d) Twelve bridesmaids.
8. After Golde talks to Tevye about Lazar Wolf, what does Tevye agree to do?
(a) Invite him to dinner.
(b) Offer one of his daughters for marriage.
(c) Ask Lazar what he thinks of the eldest daughter.
(d) Talk to him after the Sabbath.
9. Tevye's conversation with the constable reveals that _______________.
(a) The constable is a wicked man.
(b) Nobody in the village can be trusted.
(c) The split between the Jews and Russians is real.
(d) The constable doesn't like Tevye at all.
10. When the two Russians who were bothering Chava leave, what does Fyedka do?
(a) Apologizes to Chava.
(b) Laughs at Chava.
(c) Wraps a bandage around his hand.
(d) Reports their behavior to the constable.
11. At their wedding, what does Motel place over Tzeitel's head?
12. Before Tevye arrives to talk with Lazar, the butcher orders what?
(a) Two mugs of hot soup.
(b) Two glasses and a bottle of brandy.
(c) Two cups of coffee.
(d) A cup of coffee and a cup of tea.
13. Perchik teaches Shprintze and Bielke outside their home as they do what?
(a) Wash clothes.
(b) Plant onions.
(c) Peel potatoes.
(d) Milk cows.
14. Before coming to the village, Perchik was a university student where?
15. When Golde asks Tevye where his horse is, what does Tevye reply?
(a) He's at the veterinarian's.
(b) He ran away.
(c) He was stolen.
(d) He's at the blacksmith's.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the wedding of Tzeitel and Motel, where do the men and women go?
2. Who steps into Motel's shop when he steps out for a few moments?
3. When addressing the audience at the start of the story, Tevye explains that in his community balance is kept through what?
4. Tevye tells Golde that in his dream, Grandmother Tzeitel looks pretty good considering that she's _____________.
5. When Avram waves a newspaper, what terrible news from another town does he announce?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)