Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tevye claims that without their traditions, the villagers' lives would be ______________.
(a) As shaky as a fiddler on the roof.
(b) As cold as a Siberian winter.
(c) As empty as a drained milk jug.
(d) As lonely as a frightened fiddler.
2. The village matchmaker, who has been a widow for a long time, claims that a bad husband:
(a) Doesn't exist.
(b) Is better than no husband.
(c) Should be thrown in prison.
(d) Is no good for anyone.
3. While Tevye is introducing his family to Perchik, Motel arrives. What does Tevye say about Motel?
(a) Here's our neighbor.
(b) Him, I don't know.
(c) This is not mine.
(d) This is the town tailor.
4. When a beggar gets only one coin this week, he complains that he got two coins the previous week. The donor explains he had a bad week, to which the beggar replies:
(a) Why should he suffer for someone else's bad week?
(b) It's all right so long as he gets three coins next week.
(c) He can't afford a bad week.
(d) What's the donor hiding in his coat pocket?
5. What does Perchik teach Hodel that he says he learned in Kiev?
(a) A dance.
(b) A prayer.
(c) A poem.
(d) A song.
6. Where does Lazar say he sees Tzeitel every Thursday?
(a) His butcher shop.
(b) The produce market.
(c) The library.
(d) The bank.
7. Who appears to Tevye in his dream after Grandmother Tzeitel is done talking to him?
(a) Uncle Mordechai.
(b) Young Tzeitel.
(c) Fruma Sarah.
(d) Lazar Wolf.
8. When Golde asks her daughter Chava if she has finished milking the cows, what does Chava accidentally drop?
(a) A Book.
(b) A Milk jug.
(c) A Candle.
(d) A Love letter.
9. How does Tzeitel react when she learns she is to wed Lazar Wolf?
(a) She screams and faints.
(b) She shouts in anger and frustration.
(c) She runs away in tears.
(d) She cries and says she can't marry him.
10. When Motel tells Tevye that he wants to marry Tzeitel, he explains that a year ago, they _______________.
(a) Made a pledge to marry each other.
(b) Fell in love with each other.
(c) Decided to marry each other and move to America.
(d) Were secretly engaged.
11. In the first act, what blessing does the rabbi give the Tsar?
(a) Bless him and keep him out of trouble.
(b) Bless him and keep him away from their village.
(c) Abundant tasks to keep him occupied.
(d) Abundant patience and tolerance.
12. Before Tevye arrives to talk with Lazar, the butcher orders what?
(a) A cup of coffee and a cup of tea.
(b) Two mugs of hot soup.
(c) Two cups of coffee.
(d) Two glasses and a bottle of brandy.
13. At the wedding, after the rabbi prays over a glass goblet of wine, what do Tzeitel and Motel do?
(a) Take a sip from the goblet.
(b) Kiss each other.
(c) Present gifts to their parents.
(d) Sing a traditional song.
14. When one of her daughters reminds Golde that Tevye works hard, what does Golde say?
(a) His horse works harder.
(b) The dairy cows do all the work.
(c) Traditions are more important to him than work.
(d) She works hardest.
15. When the constable leaves after his private conversation with Tevye, what does Tevye ask God?
(a) Why he got such news that day, of all days.
(b) Why the Russians won't leave them alone.
(c) Why he can never win.
(d) Where he should take his family to live in peace.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is part of the Sabbath Prayer song?
2. According to the "Tradition" song sung by everyone, what are the "Papas" expected to do?
3. Motel and Tzeitel have been friends since:
4. In the "Tradition" song, each daughter is prepared to marry ____________.
5. When Perchik states that girls should also learn, how does Mendel react?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)