|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the "Tradition" song, each daughter is prepared to marry ____________.
(a) Whoever the matchmaker chooses.
(b) Whoever Papa picks.
(c) The man of her choice.
(d) By the age of twenty.
2. When the two Russians who were bothering Chava leave, what does Fyedka do?
(a) Reports their behavior to the constable.
(b) Wraps a bandage around his hand.
(c) Apologizes to Chava.
(d) Laughs at Chava.
3. Motel and Tzeitel have been friends since:
(a) The fourth grade.
(b) Tzeitel saved Motel's life.
(c) Motel moved next door.
(d) They were babies.
4. When the Russians join in on the celebratory song and dance between Lazar, Tevye, and other Jews, what is part of the blessing they offer?
(a) May we live together in peace.
(b) May life bring you abundance.
(c) May you have many children.
(d) May all your dreams come true.
5. When Perchik finally takes the cheese Tevye offers him, what does Tevye say?
(a) Don't forget to thank God for it.
(b) The villagers can be trusted.
(c) There's always room for a bit of cheese.
(d) It's no crime being poor.
6. When Chava and Fyedka find themselves alone, what does Fyedka say to her?
(a) He'd like to take her to the dance.
(b) He's seen her at the bookseller's.
(c) She must never talk to Sasha again.
(d) She needs to be more careful.
7. At the conclusion of Act 1, Scene 1, why are Golde and Tevye's daughters hoping the matchmaker will take her time finding them a match?
(a) They don't want to leave their parents and sisters.
(b) They're scared of getting stuck with a bad husband.
(c) They want to finish school first.
(d) They want to travel and see the world before getting married.
8. The wedding of Tzeitel and Motel concludes with ________________.
(a) Tzeitel removing her veil.
(b) Motel stepping on the wineglass to break it.
(c) Tzeitel singing the bride song.
(d) Motel throwing his hat into the air.
9. What kind of shop does Motel own?
(a) Barber shop.
(b) Tailor shop.
(c) Flower stand.
(d) Fruit stand.
10. When Avram waves a newspaper, what terrible news from another town does he announce?
(a) Russian soldiers attacked the Jews.
(b) All the Jews were evicted.
(c) A flood devastated the town.
(d) The Tsar arrested town leaders.
11. According to the "Tradition" song sung by everyone, what are the "Papas" expected to do?
(a) Plant seasonal crops.
(b) Work to keep the peace.
(c) Scramble for a living.
(d) Mend broken roofs.
12. When Golde finds Perchik teaching her younger daughters, what does she say?
(a) Lesson's over because the girls must help make lunch.
(b) The lesson is interesting but not very applicable.
(c) Lesson's over because the girls have to clean the barn.
(d) The lesson is completely pointless.
13. In Tevye's dream, Grandmother Tzeitel calls Motel a _______________.
(a) Clumsy but well-meaning man.
(b) Silly young man in love.
(c) Remarkably talented tailor.
(d) Fine upstanding boy.
14. Tevye convinces himself that by marrying Lazar, Tzeitel will never know what?
15. At the wedding of Tzeitel and Motel, where do the men and women go?
(a) Everyone mingles.
(b) Women in the front, men in the back.
(c) Men on one side, women on the other side.
(d) Women with the children, men with the elders.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Tevye tells Golde about his frightening dream, he begins by saying that all the people they knew were _______________.
2. With Tevye, Lazar, and other men roaming the streets drunk, the constable appears. What does he ask?
3. In the first act, what blessing does the rabbi give the Tsar?
4. Which of the following is part of the Sabbath Prayer song?
5. Once Tevye and Lazar agree to an arranged marriage between Lazar and Tzeitel, what do the men drink to?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)