|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the start of Act 1, Scene 2, Tevye enters pulling a cart. He addresses God, asking what?
(a) Why his life continues to be so difficult.
(b) Whose idea it was to make him a milkman.
(c) When his daughters will marry.
(d) Where he can find the riches he wants.
2. What does Perchik teach Hodel that he says he learned in Kiev?
(a) A dance.
(b) A song.
(c) A poem.
(d) A prayer.
3. When addressing the audience at the start of the story, Tevye explains that in his community balance is kept through what?
(a) Law and order.
(d) Hard work.
4. After Golde talks to Tevye about Lazar Wolf, what does Tevye agree to do?
(a) Invite him to dinner.
(b) Talk to him after the Sabbath.
(c) Offer one of his daughters for marriage.
(d) Ask Lazar what he thinks of the eldest daughter.
5. Once Tevye and Lazar agree to an arranged marriage between Lazar and Tzeitel, what do the men drink to?
(a) To abundance.
(b) To life.
(c) Health, wealth, and wisdom.
(d) Marriage, family, and grandchildren.
6. When the two Russians who were bothering Chava leave, what does Fyedka do?
(a) Laughs at Chava.
(b) Apologizes to Chava.
(c) Reports their behavior to the constable.
(d) Wraps a bandage around his hand.
7. What kind of shop does Motel own?
(a) Barber shop.
(b) Tailor shop.
(c) Fruit stand.
(d) Flower stand.
8. Who is listening in as Perchik teaches Shprintze and Bielke?
9. What common interest do Chava and Fyedka share?
(d) Historical trivia.
10. In the "Tradition" song, each daughter is prepared to marry ____________.
(a) Whoever Papa picks.
(b) The man of her choice.
(c) By the age of twenty.
(d) Whoever the matchmaker chooses.
11. After Perchik explains where he came from, what does Mordcha sarcastically ask?
(a) Why he doesn't just go back there.
(b) Why he doesn't try to overthrow the Tsar.
(c) If everyone there is such a know it all.
(d) If that is where he learned to criticize elders.
12. After Tevye asks God several "whys" following his conversation with the constable, how does he end his talk with God?
(a) Asks that Tzeitel will be happy with her husband.
(b) Gives thanks for his family.
(c) Gives thanks for a husband for Tzeitel.
(d) Asks for protection for his family.
13. When Motel manages to get Tevye's attention right before everyone has dinner, he wants to talk about Tzeitel but all he is able to say is what?
(a) Nice hat.
(b) Thank you.
(c) I'll be right back.
(d) Good Sabbath.
14. What does Golde realize once Tevye finishes relating his nightmare to her?
(a) Lazar is a terrible man.
(b) Grandmother Tzeitel doesn't know what she's talking about.
(c) Tevye made the whole thing up.
(d) Tzeitel marrying Motel is for the best.
15. As villagers sing "Sunrise, Sunset," Tevye asks, "Is this the little girl I carried? Is this the ... :"
(a) Same child I knew.
(b) Little boy at play.
(c) Neighbor kid she knew.
(d) Child who once tarried.
Short Answer Questions
1. At their wedding, what is placed over Motel and Tzeitel?
2. When Tevye tries to correct Grandmother Tzeitel on behalf of Golde, what does the grandmother say?
3. After Tevye's celebratory mood is changed by the sobering conversation with the constable, what does the fiddler's appearance represent?
4. When Perchik states that girls should also learn, how does Mendel react?
5. Who is Fruma Sarah to Lazar Wolf?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)