|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Motel manages to get Tevye's attention right before everyone has dinner, he wants to talk about Tzeitel but all he is able to say is what?
(a) Good Sabbath.
(b) I'll be right back.
(c) Thank you.
(d) Nice hat.
2. When Motel tells Tevye that he wants to marry Tzeitel, he explains that a year ago, they _______________.
(a) Fell in love with each other.
(b) Made a pledge to marry each other.
(c) Were secretly engaged.
(d) Decided to marry each other and move to America.
3. When Tevye first offers Perchik a piece of cheese, why does Perchik decline?
(a) He just ate.
(b) He doesn't want to look greedy.
(c) He doesn't trust Tevye.
(d) He has no money.
4. When Yussel steps into Motel's shop to congratulate him for the upcoming wedding, what does Motel ask him?
(a) For a wedding hat.
(b) To please leave.
(c) To lend him money.
(d) For advice.
5. Tevye explains that in his community, prayer shawls are worn as what?
(a) Show of devotion to God.
(b) Sign of respect for elders.
(c) Protection against the cold.
(d) Symbol of humility.
6. What is Motel's job?
7. In Tevye's dream, Grandmother Tzeitel calls Motel a _______________.
(a) Silly young man in love.
(b) Fine upstanding boy.
(c) Clumsy but well-meaning man.
(d) Remarkably talented tailor.
8. When Tevye tries to correct Grandmother Tzeitel on behalf of Golde, what does the grandmother say?
(a) Lazar is a good for nothing drunkard.
(b) She knows Lazar Wolf would be a terrible husband.
(c) A young woman should be able to choose who she marries.
(d) She's certain her granddaughter is supposed to marry Motel.
9. Tevye convinces himself that by marrying Lazar, Tzeitel will never know what?
10. Chava is reluctant to take the book Fyedka offers her. In the end, she _____________.
(a) Refuses it.
(b) Takes it.
(c) Storms out.
(d) Throws it down.
11. When Perchik wants to know why Hodel is so interested in the rabbi's son, what does she say?
(a) It's absolutely none of his business.
(b) She's been good friends with the rabbi's son since they were seven.
(c) At least he doesn't have crazy ideas about changing the world.
(d) He's smart, handsome, and well respected.
12. When Hodel comments on Perchik's lesson about Laban and Jacob, what does she say?
(a) He doesn't know what he's talking about.
(b) She never heard that story before.
(c) The story has nothing to do with her sisters.
(d) The rabbi would have a different interpretation.
13. Which of the following is part of the Sabbath Prayer song?
(a) May the Lord shine a light upon you.
(b) May the Lord protect and defend you.
(c) May you dwell in the house of the Lord.
(d) May you live in harmony and joy.
14. When the constable leaves after his private conversation with Tevye, what does Tevye ask God?
(a) Where he should take his family to live in peace.
(b) Why the Russians won't leave them alone.
(c) Why he got such news that day, of all days.
(d) Why he can never win.
15. When Lazar finally realizes that Tevye thinks he's talking about buying his cow, how does he react?
(a) Scolds Tevye for thinking such a thing.
(b) Laughs and explains he's talking about marrying Tzeitel.
(c) Faints with shock and is resuscitated by the bartender.
(d) Tells Tevye he can't possibly compare Tzeitel to a cow.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the constable give Tevye confidential information?
2. How many children does the matchmaker have?
3. When Avram waves a newspaper, what terrible news from another town does he announce?
4. Why does the matchmaker feel that the shoemaker's daughter, who has poor eyesight, is a good match for a particular young man?
5. The wedding of Tzeitel and Motel concludes with ________________.
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)