|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Tevye says to God, "I know we are the chosen people," what does he ask?
(a) Why being chosen carries so much responsibility.
(b) Why he can't trade jobs with the constable.
(c) Why God can't choose someone else once in a while.
(d) Why God won't choose an easier life for him.
2. When the constable leaves after his private conversation with Tevye, what does Tevye ask God?
(a) Where he should take his family to live in peace.
(b) Why he can never win.
(c) Why the Russians won't leave them alone.
(d) Why he got such news that day, of all days.
3. What common interest do Chava and Fyedka share?
(d) Historical trivia.
4. At the start of Act 1, Scene 2, Tevye enters pulling a cart. He addresses God, asking what?
(a) Why his life continues to be so difficult.
(b) When his daughters will marry.
(c) Where he can find the riches he wants.
(d) Whose idea it was to make him a milkman.
5. When the two Russians who were bothering Chava leave, what does Fyedka do?
(a) Wraps a bandage around his hand.
(b) Reports their behavior to the constable.
(c) Laughs at Chava.
(d) Apologizes to Chava.
6. When Tevye first offers Perchik a piece of cheese, why does Perchik decline?
(a) He just ate.
(b) He doesn't trust Tevye.
(c) He has no money.
(d) He doesn't want to look greedy.
7. Why does the matchmaker feel that the shoemaker's daughter, who has poor eyesight, is a good match for a particular young man?
(a) He's not much to look at.
(b) He can afford to buy her glasses.
(c) He's twice her age.
(d) He can't hear well.
8. When Tevye tries to correct Grandmother Tzeitel on behalf of Golde, what does the grandmother say?
(a) Lazar is a good for nothing drunkard.
(b) A young woman should be able to choose who she marries.
(c) She's certain her granddaughter is supposed to marry Motel.
(d) She knows Lazar Wolf would be a terrible husband.
9. Hearing the news of the upcoming marriage, Russians who were sitting and drinking nearby bestow the following words upon Lazar and Tevye:
(a) Heaven bless you both.
(b) Enjoy everything.
(c) Live long and prosper.
(d) Be well and merry.
10. After Tevye thanks the constable for the privileged information, what else does he say?
(a) He would appreciate it if the Russians didn't give them any trouble.
(b) The Jews will not cause any trouble.
(c) The constable is a good man and it's too bad he's not a Jew.
(d) It's too bad the Russians and the Jews can't see eye to eye.
11. With Tevye, Lazar, and other men roaming the streets drunk, the constable appears. What does he ask?
(a) If their wives know where they are.
(b) What they are celebrating.
(c) If they know what time it is.
(d) Why they are being so loud.
12. Before Tevye arrives to talk with Lazar, the butcher orders what?
(a) Two glasses and a bottle of brandy.
(b) A cup of coffee and a cup of tea.
(c) Two mugs of hot soup.
(d) Two cups of coffee.
13. How does Tzeitel react when she learns she is to wed Lazar Wolf?
(a) She runs away in tears.
(b) She shouts in anger and frustration.
(c) She cries and says she can't marry him.
(d) She screams and faints.
14. When Tevye asks Perchik how he makes money, what does Perchik say?
(a) He's a tutor.
(b) He repairs roofs.
(c) He runs errands.
(d) He's an actor.
15. Tevye's conversation with the constable reveals that _______________.
(a) Nobody in the village can be trusted.
(b) The split between the Jews and Russians is real.
(c) The constable doesn't like Tevye at all.
(d) The constable is a wicked man.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the wedding of Tzeitel and Motel, where do the men and women go?
2. Which of the following is part of the Sabbath Prayer song?
3. Where does Tevye live?
4. Why does Tevye wake up in the middle of the night asking where Fruma Sarah is?
5. How does Act 1, Scene 5 end?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)