|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Tevye react when he first learns that Lazar is interested in Tzeitel?
(a) He's angry.
(b) He's surprised.
(c) He says Lazar is way too old.
(d) He laughs uncontrollably.
2. When Tevye sings "If I Were A Rich Man," he says that he'd build a house with one staircase going up, one going down, and the third _____________.
(a) Going sideways.
(b) Going nowhere.
(c) Extending beyond the roof.
(d) Extending into the cellar.
3. What does Golde realize once Tevye finishes relating his nightmare to her?
(a) Grandmother Tzeitel doesn't know what she's talking about.
(b) Tzeitel marrying Motel is for the best.
(c) Lazar is a terrible man.
(d) Tevye made the whole thing up.
4. Who steps into Motel's shop when he steps out for a few moments?
(a) The constable.
(b) Lazar Wolf.
5. After Perchik explains where he came from, what does Mordcha sarcastically ask?
(a) If that is where he learned to criticize elders.
(b) Why he doesn't try to overthrow the Tsar.
(c) Why he doesn't just go back there.
(d) If everyone there is such a know it all.
6. In the "Tradition" song, each daughter is prepared to marry ____________.
(a) The man of her choice.
(b) By the age of twenty.
(c) Whoever Papa picks.
(d) Whoever the matchmaker chooses.
7. How does Golde react to the news the matchmaker delivers regarding the butcher?
(a) She asks the matchmaker to leave.
(b) She's horrified.
(c) She faints.
(d) She's pleased.
8. Which of the following is NOT one of Tevye's daughters?
9. What does Perchik teach Hodel that he says he learned in Kiev?
(a) A dance.
(b) A prayer.
(c) A song.
(d) A poem.
10. Before Tevye arrives to talk with Lazar, the butcher orders what?
(a) Two glasses and a bottle of brandy.
(b) Two mugs of hot soup.
(c) A cup of coffee and a cup of tea.
(d) Two cups of coffee.
11. Chava is reluctant to take the book Fyedka offers her. In the end, she _____________.
(a) Throws it down.
(b) Takes it.
(c) Storms out.
(d) Refuses it.
12. What is Motel's job?
13. When Chava and Fyedka find themselves alone, what does Fyedka say to her?
(a) She must never talk to Sasha again.
(b) He'd like to take her to the dance.
(c) She needs to be more careful.
(d) He's seen her at the bookseller's.
14. At the wedding, after the rabbi prays over a glass goblet of wine, what do Tzeitel and Motel do?
(a) Sing a traditional song.
(b) Present gifts to their parents.
(c) Kiss each other.
(d) Take a sip from the goblet.
15. Why are traditions important to Tevye?
(a) His ancestors came up with them.
(b) God developed them.
(c) They're fun and comfortable.
(d) Everyone knows their role in life.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Golde finds Perchik teaching her younger daughters, what does she say?
2. Tevye's conversation with the constable reveals that _______________.
3. Why does Tevye wake up in the middle of the night asking where Fruma Sarah is?
4. With Tevye, Lazar, and other men roaming the streets drunk, the constable appears. What does he ask?
5. When Perchik makes fun of traditions that never change, what does Hodel do?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)