|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are traditions important to Tevye?
(a) His ancestors came up with them.
(b) They're fun and comfortable.
(c) God developed them.
(d) Everyone knows their role in life.
2. Why does Tevye wake up in the middle of the night asking where Fruma Sarah is?
(a) He supposedly dreamt about her.
(b) He's drunk and confused.
(c) He believes she's still alive.
(d) He's worried she's been kidnapped.
3. When a beggar gets only one coin this week, he complains that he got two coins the previous week. The donor explains he had a bad week, to which the beggar replies:
(a) It's all right so long as he gets three coins next week.
(b) Why should he suffer for someone else's bad week?
(c) He can't afford a bad week.
(d) What's the donor hiding in his coat pocket?
4. After Golde talks to Tevye about Lazar Wolf, what does Tevye agree to do?
(a) Ask Lazar what he thinks of the eldest daughter.
(b) Offer one of his daughters for marriage.
(c) Invite him to dinner.
(d) Talk to him after the Sabbath.
5. Tevye tells Lazar that he always wanted a son but _______________.
(a) They're more like brothers.
(b) Never even considered the butcher.
(c) Never expected such a rich one.
(d) One a little younger than himself.
6. Once Tevye and Lazar agree to an arranged marriage between Lazar and Tzeitel, what do the men drink to?
(a) Marriage, family, and grandchildren.
(b) To abundance.
(c) Health, wealth, and wisdom.
(d) To life.
7. When Tevye finds himself alone with the constable, what does the constable tell him?
(a) He will not arrest him for being drunk.
(b) There will be a small demonstration in the village.
(c) They should not make too much noise at the wedding.
(d) The Tsar is watching them carefully.
8. Which of the following is NOT one of Tevye's daughters?
9. Who steps into Motel's shop when he steps out for a few moments?
(a) The constable.
(c) Lazar Wolf.
10. When Tevye asks Shprintze and Bielke if they want to take lessons from Perchik, how do the girls respond?
(a) They ask their mother.
(b) They refuse.
(c) They giggle and say yes.
(d) They say they're not sure.
11. After Tevye says to God, "I know we are the chosen people," what does he ask?
(a) Why he can't trade jobs with the constable.
(b) Why God won't choose an easier life for him.
(c) Why God can't choose someone else once in a while.
(d) Why being chosen carries so much responsibility.
12. According to the "Tradition" song sung by everyone, what are the "Papas" expected to do?
(a) Plant seasonal crops.
(b) Scramble for a living.
(c) Work to keep the peace.
(d) Mend broken roofs.
13. Tevye convinces himself that by marrying Lazar, Tzeitel will never know what?
14. At the start of Act 1, Scene 2, Tevye enters pulling a cart. He addresses God, asking what?
(a) Where he can find the riches he wants.
(b) When his daughters will marry.
(c) Whose idea it was to make him a milkman.
(d) Why his life continues to be so difficult.
15. When the constable leaves after his private conversation with Tevye, what does Tevye ask God?
(a) Why the Russians won't leave them alone.
(b) Where he should take his family to live in peace.
(c) Why he got such news that day, of all days.
(d) Why he can never win.
Short Answer Questions
1. After teaching Tevye's daughters the story of Laban and Jacob, what does Perchik say is the moral of the story?
2. Hearing the news of the upcoming marriage, Russians who were sitting and drinking nearby bestow the following words upon Lazar and Tevye:
3. Why does the matchmaker feel that the shoemaker's daughter, who has poor eyesight, is a good match for a particular young man?
4. In the "Tradition" song, each daughter is prepared to marry ____________.
5. Who is Fruma Sarah to Lazar Wolf?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)