|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The village matchmaker, who has been a widow for a long time, claims that a bad husband:
(a) Is no good for anyone.
(b) Should be thrown in prison.
(c) Is better than no husband.
(d) Doesn't exist.
2. When Golde finds Perchik teaching her younger daughters, what does she say?
(a) The lesson is completely pointless.
(b) The lesson is interesting but not very applicable.
(c) Lesson's over because the girls have to clean the barn.
(d) Lesson's over because the girls must help make lunch.
3. In the lesson that Perchik tells Tevye's daughters about Laban and Jacob, what does Laban do?
(a) Steals from Jacob.
(b) Abandons Jacob.
(c) Tricks Jacob.
(d) Throws Jacob into a well.
4. Who is Fruma Sarah to Lazar Wolf?
(c) First wife.
5. When the townspeople Mordcha and Mendel complain toTevye that he forgot their orders for the Sabbath, what does he reply?
(a) They haven't paid him yet.
(b) They failed to put in their order.
(c) He had trouble with his horse.
(d) He forgot, and he's sorry.
6. Despite how the villagers feel about Motel and Tzeitel's upcoming wedding, what do they say to Motel?
(a) How could you?
(b) Good luck.
(d) Be prosperous and fruitful.
7. When Yussel steps into Motel's shop to congratulate him for the upcoming wedding, what does Motel ask him?
(a) To lend him money.
(b) To please leave.
(c) For advice.
(d) For a wedding hat.
8. What does Golde tell Tevye about Lazar Wolf as Tevye tries to pray?
(a) He wants to talk to him.
(b) He would be a good match for one of their daughters.
(c) He wants to marry one of their daughters.
(d) He will stop by soon.
9. Tevye tells Golde that in his dream, Grandmother Tzeitel looks pretty good considering that she's _____________.
(a) A transparent ghost.
(b) Pretty angry at everyone.
(c) Ninety years old.
(d) Been dead for thirty years.
10. After teaching Tevye's daughters the story of Laban and Jacob, what does Perchik say is the moral of the story?
(a) Never turn your back on a competitor.
(b) Always pay your taxes.
(c) Always look on the bright side of life.
(d) Never trust an employer.
11. At the conclusion of Act 1, Scene 1, why are Golde and Tevye's daughters hoping the matchmaker will take her time finding them a match?
(a) They want to finish school first.
(b) They want to travel and see the world before getting married.
(c) They don't want to leave their parents and sisters.
(d) They're scared of getting stuck with a bad husband.
12. As guests enter during the wedding scene, what do they do?
(a) Drop rose petals.
(b) Kneel and pray.
(c) Light candles.
(d) Yell "Mazeltov."
13. When Tevye and Lazar meet to talk, what does Tevye think they're discussing?
(a) Purchasing Tevye's house.
(b) Increasing Lazar's milk order.
(c) Going into business together.
(d) Buying Tevye's little milk cow.
14. Before coming to the village, Perchik was a university student where?
15. When Perchik states that girls should also learn, how does Mendel react?
(a) He agrees.
(b) He laughs uncontrollably.
(c) He's shocked.
(d) He's deeply offended.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the wedding, after the rabbi prays over a glass goblet of wine, what do Tzeitel and Motel do?
2. Why does the matchmaker feel that the shoemaker's daughter, who has poor eyesight, is a good match for a particular young man?
3. After Tevye says to God, "I know we are the chosen people," what does he ask?
4. After Golde talks to Tevye about Lazar Wolf, what does Tevye agree to do?
5. At the wedding of Tzeitel and Motel, where do the men and women go?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)