|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the "Tradition" song, each daughter is prepared to marry ____________.
(a) The man of her choice.
(b) Whoever Papa picks.
(c) Whoever the matchmaker chooses.
(d) By the age of twenty.
2. How does Tevye react when he first learns that Lazar is interested in Tzeitel?
(a) He's angry.
(b) He says Lazar is way too old.
(c) He's surprised.
(d) He laughs uncontrollably.
3. When Tevye asks Perchik how he makes money, what does Perchik say?
(a) He's a tutor.
(b) He repairs roofs.
(c) He's an actor.
(d) He runs errands.
4. Chava is reluctant to take the book Fyedka offers her. In the end, she _____________.
(a) Throws it down.
(b) Refuses it.
(c) Takes it.
(d) Storms out.
5. When Perchik wants to know why Hodel is so interested in the rabbi's son, what does she say?
(a) He's smart, handsome, and well respected.
(b) At least he doesn't have crazy ideas about changing the world.
(c) She's been good friends with the rabbi's son since they were seven.
(d) It's absolutely none of his business.
6. With Tevye, Lazar, and other men roaming the streets drunk, the constable appears. What does he ask?
(a) Why they are being so loud.
(b) If they know what time it is.
(c) If their wives know where they are.
(d) What they are celebrating.
7. When Tzeitel and Motel talk while they prepare for the Sabbath, what does Motel tell Tzeitel that he plans to purchase?
(a) Milking cow.
(b) Small farm.
(d) Sewing machine.
8. Perchik tells Hodel that traditions are changing in other places, with boys and girls holding hands and even doing what together?
9. When Motel manages to get Tevye's attention right before everyone has dinner, he wants to talk about Tzeitel but all he is able to say is what?
(a) Thank you.
(b) I'll be right back.
(c) Nice hat.
(d) Good Sabbath.
10. When Motel tells Tevye that he wants to marry Tzeitel, he explains that a year ago, they _______________.
(a) Decided to marry each other and move to America.
(b) Were secretly engaged.
(c) Fell in love with each other.
(d) Made a pledge to marry each other.
11. As they make preparations for the Sabbath, what does Tzeitel urge Motel to do?
(a) Find out who Perchik really is.
(b) Distract Lazar so Tevye can't talk to him.
(c) Talk to Tevye before it's too late.
(d) Bring in extra food from his house.
12. When Perchik finally takes the cheese Tevye offers him, what does Tevye say?
(a) It's no crime being poor.
(b) Don't forget to thank God for it.
(c) The villagers can be trusted.
(d) There's always room for a bit of cheese.
13. Which of the following is part of the Sabbath Prayer song?
(a) May you dwell in the house of the Lord.
(b) May you live in harmony and joy.
(c) May the Lord protect and defend you.
(d) May the Lord shine a light upon you.
14. Who stays behind to keep an eye on Motel's shop when he leaves for a few moments?
15. After Tevye gives Lazar permission to marry his daughter, the men go out into the street drunk. What fact does Lazar point out to Tevye?
(a) Tzeitel will be the first of Tevye's daughters to marry.
(b) Both men are the same age.
(c) Tevye will be Lazar's papa.
(d) The Russians were rarely that cordial to them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the spirit of Lazar Wolf's first wife indicate she'll do to Tzeitel?
2. After the Sabbath, where does Tevye go to meet Lazar in order to talk to him?
3. When Tevye sings "If I Were A Rich Man," he says that he'd build a house with one staircase going up, one going down, and the third _____________.
4. As everyone prepares for the Sabbath, what does Tzeitel tell Motel when they are alone?
5. When Perchik makes fun of traditions that never change, what does Hodel do?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)