|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT one of Tevye's daughters?
2. At the wedding of Tzeitel and Motel, where do the men and women go?
(a) Everyone mingles.
(b) Men on one side, women on the other side.
(c) Women with the children, men with the elders.
(d) Women in the front, men in the back.
3. When Perchik praises Hodel's quick and witty tongue, Tevye says that _____________.
(a) The tongue comes from him and the wit comes from her mother.
(b) Hodel has the quickest, wittiest tongue of anyone in the family.
(c) All of his daughters are witty, quick, and wise.
(d) The wit comes from him and the tongue comes from her mother.
4. With Tevye, Lazar, and other men roaming the streets drunk, the constable appears. What does he ask?
(a) What they are celebrating.
(b) If they know what time it is.
(c) If their wives know where they are.
(d) Why they are being so loud.
5. In the "Tradition" song, what does each son hope about the bride chosen for him?
(a) She cooks well.
(b) She's smart.
(c) She sings nicely.
(d) She's pretty.
6. In Tevye's dream, why is Lazar Wolf's first wife angry?
(a) Everyone says mean things about her.
(b) Tevye's daughter is marrying her husband.
(c) She was always an angry person.
(d) Lazar doesn't love her anymore.
7. When Lazar finally realizes that Tevye thinks he's talking about buying his cow, how does he react?
(a) Scolds Tevye for thinking such a thing.
(b) Tells Tevye he can't possibly compare Tzeitel to a cow.
(c) Laughs and explains he's talking about marrying Tzeitel.
(d) Faints with shock and is resuscitated by the bartender.
8. What does Golde tell Tevye about Lazar Wolf as Tevye tries to pray?
(a) He would be a good match for one of their daughters.
(b) He wants to talk to him.
(c) He wants to marry one of their daughters.
(d) He will stop by soon.
9. When the Russians join in on the celebratory song and dance between Lazar, Tevye, and other Jews, what is part of the blessing they offer?
(a) May we live together in peace.
(b) May all your dreams come true.
(c) May life bring you abundance.
(d) May you have many children.
10. In the lesson that Perchik tells Tevye's daughters about Laban and Jacob, what does Laban do?
(a) Steals from Jacob.
(b) Abandons Jacob.
(c) Throws Jacob into a well.
(d) Tricks Jacob.
11. Lazar tries to convince Tevye to agree to a marriage between him and Tzeitel by explaining that he's well off and ________________.
(a) He has a very big house.
(b) She'll have nice clothes and furniture.
(c) He'll take good care of her.
(d) She wouldn't have to clean because he has a housekeeper.
12. As everyone sings "Sunrise, Sunset" in the wedding scene, Golde says, "Wasn't it yesterday when they ... :"
(a) Were small.
(b) Played hopscotch.
(c) Wore diapers.
(d) Made mud cakes.
13. When Motel tells Tevye that he wants to marry Tzeitel, he explains that a year ago, they _______________.
(a) Made a pledge to marry each other.
(b) Fell in love with each other.
(c) Decided to marry each other and move to America.
(d) Were secretly engaged.
14. Chava is reluctant to take the book Fyedka offers her. In the end, she _____________.
(a) Takes it.
(b) Throws it down.
(c) Storms out.
(d) Refuses it.
15. At their wedding, what does Motel place over Tzeitel's head?
Short Answer Questions
1. Motel and Tzeitel have been friends since:
2. At the conclusion of Act 1, Scene 1, why are Golde and Tevye's daughters hoping the matchmaker will take her time finding them a match?
3. Why does the matchmaker feel that the shoemaker's daughter, who has poor eyesight, is a good match for a particular young man?
4. After Tevye's celebratory mood is changed by the sobering conversation with the constable, what does the fiddler's appearance represent?
5. When Tzeitel and Motel talk while they prepare for the Sabbath, what does Motel tell Tzeitel that he plans to purchase?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)