|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Chava and Fyedka find themselves alone, what does Fyedka say to her?
(a) She must never talk to Sasha again.
(b) He's seen her at the bookseller's.
(c) She needs to be more careful.
(d) He'd like to take her to the dance.
2. At their wedding, where do Tzeitel and Motel stand relative to other people?
(a) Left side.
(d) High up on a platform.
3. According to the "Tradition" song sung by everyone, what are the "Papas" expected to do?
(a) Work to keep the peace.
(b) Scramble for a living.
(c) Plant seasonal crops.
(d) Mend broken roofs.
4. When Tevye first offers Perchik a piece of cheese, why does Perchik decline?
(a) He has no money.
(b) He doesn't want to look greedy.
(c) He doesn't trust Tevye.
(d) He just ate.
5. What news does the matchmaker deliver to Golde and her daughters regarding the butcher, Lazar Wolf?
(a) He has a gift for them.
(b) His son is interested in Tzeitel.
(c) He's interested in Tzeitel.
(d) He has been imprisoned.
6. At the start of Act 1, Scene 2, Tevye enters pulling a cart. He addresses God, asking what?
(a) Where he can find the riches he wants.
(b) Why his life continues to be so difficult.
(c) When his daughters will marry.
(d) Whose idea it was to make him a milkman.
7. When a beggar gets only one coin this week, he complains that he got two coins the previous week. The donor explains he had a bad week, to which the beggar replies:
(a) He can't afford a bad week.
(b) What's the donor hiding in his coat pocket?
(c) Why should he suffer for someone else's bad week?
(d) It's all right so long as he gets three coins next week.
8. When Perchik wants to know why Hodel is so interested in the rabbi's son, what does she say?
(a) At least he doesn't have crazy ideas about changing the world.
(b) She's been good friends with the rabbi's son since they were seven.
(c) It's absolutely none of his business.
(d) He's smart, handsome, and well respected.
9. When Golde finds Perchik teaching her younger daughters, what does she say?
(a) The lesson is interesting but not very applicable.
(b) Lesson's over because the girls must help make lunch.
(c) The lesson is completely pointless.
(d) Lesson's over because the girls have to clean the barn.
10. Tevye convinces himself that by marrying Lazar, Tzeitel will never know what?
11. In the wedding scene, Tzeitel enters in her bridal clothes, followed by _________________.
(a) Only the women of the village.
(b) Her mother, father, sisters, and other relatives.
(c) Twelve bridesmaids.
(d) The rabbi and his family.
12. What is Yente's role in the village?
13. When Lazar finally realizes that Tevye thinks he's talking about buying his cow, how does he react?
(a) Laughs and explains he's talking about marrying Tzeitel.
(b) Tells Tevye he can't possibly compare Tzeitel to a cow.
(c) Scolds Tevye for thinking such a thing.
(d) Faints with shock and is resuscitated by the bartender.
14. When Tevye sings "If I Were A Rich Man," he says that he'd build a house with one staircase going up, one going down, and the third _____________.
(a) Extending beyond the roof.
(b) Going nowhere.
(c) Extending into the cellar.
(d) Going sideways.
15. Motel is afraid to talk to Tevye about wanting to marry Tzeitel, claiming that he's only what?
(a) A poor tailor.
(b) An aspiring writer.
(c) A plain young man.
(d) A humble farmer.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is listening in as Perchik teaches Shprintze and Bielke?
2. Why does the matchmaker feel that the shoemaker's daughter, who has poor eyesight, is a good match for a particular young man?
3. When Tevye tells Golde that Grandmother Tzeitel appeared in his dream, what does Golde ask?
4. How does Tzeitel react when she learns she is to wed Lazar Wolf?
5. When Golde and Tevye's daughters sing the "Matchmaker" song, which of the following is NOT part of the lyrics?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)