|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Tevye finds himself alone with the constable, what does the constable tell him?
(a) He will not arrest him for being drunk.
(b) The Tsar is watching them carefully.
(c) They should not make too much noise at the wedding.
(d) There will be a small demonstration in the village.
2. When Tevye tells Golde that Grandmother Tzeitel appeared in his dream, what does Golde ask?
(a) Why she appeared.
(b) How she was feeling.
(c) What she wanted.
(d) How she looked.
3. Tevye tells Lazar that he always wanted a son but _______________.
(a) Never even considered the butcher.
(b) They're more like brothers.
(c) One a little younger than himself.
(d) Never expected such a rich one.
4. When Perchik makes fun of traditions that never change, what does Hodel do?
(a) Slaps him.
(b) Laughs loudly.
(c) Agrees with him.
(d) Defends traditions.
5. Why are traditions important to Tevye?
(a) They're fun and comfortable.
(b) God developed them.
(c) Everyone knows their role in life.
(d) His ancestors came up with them.
6. Before Tevye arrives to talk with Lazar, the butcher orders what?
(a) Two cups of coffee.
(b) Two mugs of hot soup.
(c) A cup of coffee and a cup of tea.
(d) Two glasses and a bottle of brandy.
7. Who stays behind to keep an eye on Motel's shop when he leaves for a few moments?
8. While Tevye is introducing his family to Perchik, Motel arrives. What does Tevye say about Motel?
(a) Him, I don't know.
(b) Here's our neighbor.
(c) This is the town tailor.
(d) This is not mine.
9. Why does the constable give Tevye confidential information?
(a) He considers Tevye a friend.
(b) He owes Tevye a favor.
(c) He's related to Tevye.
(d) He can't keep a secret.
10. When Golde and Tevye's daughters sing the "Matchmaker" song, which of the following is NOT part of the lyrics?
(a) Bring me a dream.
(b) Make me a match.
(c) Find me a find.
(d) Catch me a catch.
11. Tevye's conversation with the constable reveals that _______________.
(a) The constable is a wicked man.
(b) The split between the Jews and Russians is real.
(c) Nobody in the village can be trusted.
(d) The constable doesn't like Tevye at all.
12. Hearing the news of the upcoming marriage, Russians who were sitting and drinking nearby bestow the following words upon Lazar and Tevye:
(a) Live long and prosper.
(b) Be well and merry.
(c) Heaven bless you both.
(d) Enjoy everything.
13. Perchik tells Hodel that traditions are changing in other places, with boys and girls holding hands and even doing what together?
14. After Tevye asks God several "whys" following his conversation with the constable, how does he end his talk with God?
(a) Gives thanks for his family.
(b) Asks for protection for his family.
(c) Asks that Tzeitel will be happy with her husband.
(d) Gives thanks for a husband for Tzeitel.
15. Who is Fruma Sarah to Lazar Wolf?
(c) First wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the constable leaves after his private conversation with Tevye, what does Tevye ask God?
2. Tevye claims that without their traditions, the villagers' lives would be ______________.
3. Which of the following is part of the Sabbath Prayer song?
4. Which of the following is NOT one of Tevye's daughters?
5. Perchik teaches Shprintze and Bielke outside their home as they do what?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)