|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Tevye tries to correct Grandmother Tzeitel on behalf of Golde, what does the grandmother say?
(a) She's certain her granddaughter is supposed to marry Motel.
(b) A young woman should be able to choose who she marries.
(c) She knows Lazar Wolf would be a terrible husband.
(d) Lazar is a good for nothing drunkard.
2. Before Tevye arrives to talk with Lazar, the butcher orders what?
(a) A cup of coffee and a cup of tea.
(b) Two mugs of hot soup.
(c) Two glasses and a bottle of brandy.
(d) Two cups of coffee.
3. Which of the following is part of the Sabbath Prayer song?
(a) May you dwell in the house of the Lord.
(b) May the Lord shine a light upon you.
(c) May the Lord protect and defend you.
(d) May you live in harmony and joy.
4. What does Golde realize once Tevye finishes relating his nightmare to her?
(a) Tevye made the whole thing up.
(b) Lazar is a terrible man.
(c) Grandmother Tzeitel doesn't know what she's talking about.
(d) Tzeitel marrying Motel is for the best.
5. What is Motel's job?
6. In the wedding scene, Tzeitel enters in her bridal clothes, followed by _________________.
(a) Only the women of the village.
(b) Twelve bridesmaids.
(c) Her mother, father, sisters, and other relatives.
(d) The rabbi and his family.
7. Chava is reluctant to take the book Fyedka offers her. In the end, she _____________.
(a) Takes it.
(b) Throws it down.
(c) Refuses it.
(d) Storms out.
8. When addressing the audience at the start of the story, Tevye explains that in his community balance is kept through what?
(a) Hard work.
(d) Law and order.
9. In the first act, what blessing does the rabbi give the Tsar?
(a) Abundant tasks to keep him occupied.
(b) Abundant patience and tolerance.
(c) Bless him and keep him away from their village.
(d) Bless him and keep him out of trouble.
10. In Tevye's dream, why is Lazar Wolf's first wife angry?
(a) Lazar doesn't love her anymore.
(b) Everyone says mean things about her.
(c) She was always an angry person.
(d) Tevye's daughter is marrying her husband.
11. Tevye tells Golde that in his dream, Grandmother Tzeitel looks pretty good considering that she's _____________.
(a) Ninety years old.
(b) A transparent ghost.
(c) Been dead for thirty years.
(d) Pretty angry at everyone.
12. Perchik teaches Shprintze and Bielke outside their home as they do what?
(a) Wash clothes.
(b) Plant onions.
(c) Milk cows.
(d) Peel potatoes.
13. After taking the cheese Tevye offers, what does Perchik say about the rich?
(a) He admires them.
(b) He wants to be like them.
(c) They eat too much.
(d) They are criminals.
14. In the lesson that Perchik tells Tevye's daughters about Laban and Jacob, what does Laban do?
(a) Tricks Jacob.
(b) Throws Jacob into a well.
(c) Steals from Jacob.
(d) Abandons Jacob.
15. When Perchik tells Tevye's family that he's a good teacher, how does Hodel respond?
(a) Expresses doubt.
(b) Asks him to leave.
(c) Says she knows more than he does.
(d) Calls him a con artist.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lazar tries to convince Tevye to agree to a marriage between him and Tzeitel by explaining that he's well off and ________________.
2. As villagers sing "Sunrise, Sunset," Tevye asks, "Is this the little girl I carried? Is this the ... :"
3. When Motel manages to get Tevye's attention right before everyone has dinner, he wants to talk about Tzeitel but all he is able to say is what?
4. After Tevye's celebratory mood is changed by the sobering conversation with the constable, what does the fiddler's appearance represent?
5. Tevye's conversation with the constable reveals that _______________.
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)