|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Golde and Tevye's daughters sing the "Matchmaker" song, which of the following is NOT part of the lyrics?
(a) Make me a match.
(b) Find me a find.
(c) Catch me a catch.
(d) Bring me a dream.
2. Who is listening in as Perchik teaches Shprintze and Bielke?
3. When Tevye and Lazar meet to talk, what does Tevye think they're discussing?
(a) Purchasing Tevye's house.
(b) Buying Tevye's little milk cow.
(c) Increasing Lazar's milk order.
(d) Going into business together.
4. What does Golde realize once Tevye finishes relating his nightmare to her?
(a) Grandmother Tzeitel doesn't know what she's talking about.
(b) Tzeitel marrying Motel is for the best.
(c) Tevye made the whole thing up.
(d) Lazar is a terrible man.
5. Who stays behind to keep an eye on Motel's shop when he leaves for a few moments?
6. What is Yente's role in the village?
7. At their wedding, what is placed over Motel and Tzeitel?
(a) Pine branches.
8. With Tevye, Lazar, and other men roaming the streets drunk, the constable appears. What does he ask?
(a) If their wives know where they are.
(b) What they are celebrating.
(c) If they know what time it is.
(d) Why they are being so loud.
9. What does the spirit of Lazar Wolf's first wife indicate she'll do to Tzeitel?
(a) Drown her.
(b) Haunt her daily.
(c) Drive her out of town.
(d) Choke her.
10. Why are traditions important to Tevye?
(a) Everyone knows their role in life.
(b) They're fun and comfortable.
(c) God developed them.
(d) His ancestors came up with them.
11. When Golde asks her daughter Chava if she has finished milking the cows, what does Chava accidentally drop?
(a) A Love letter.
(b) A Candle.
(c) A Milk jug.
(d) A Book.
12. When Tevye asks Shprintze and Bielke if they want to take lessons from Perchik, how do the girls respond?
(a) They refuse.
(b) They giggle and say yes.
(c) They ask their mother.
(d) They say they're not sure.
13. As the wedding ceremony progresses, the women of the village sing, "One season following another, Laden with ...:"
(a) Happiness and tears.
(b) Laughter and fighting.
(c) Daily doses of elation.
(d) Trouble and toil.
14. When Motel tells Tevye that he wants to marry Tzeitel, he explains that a year ago, they _______________.
(a) Decided to marry each other and move to America.
(b) Fell in love with each other.
(c) Were secretly engaged.
(d) Made a pledge to marry each other.
15. While Tevye is introducing his family to Perchik, Motel arrives. What does Tevye say about Motel?
(a) Him, I don't know.
(b) This is not mine.
(c) This is the town tailor.
(d) Here's our neighbor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the constable give Tevye confidential information?
2. What kind of shop does Motel own?
3. How does Tevye react when he first learns that Lazar is interested in Tzeitel?
4. The village matchmaker, who has been a widow for a long time, claims that a bad husband:
5. At the conclusion of Act 1, Scene 1, why are Golde and Tevye's daughters hoping the matchmaker will take her time finding them a match?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)