|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When a beggar gets only one coin this week, he complains that he got two coins the previous week. The donor explains he had a bad week, to which the beggar replies:
(a) Why should he suffer for someone else's bad week?
(b) It's all right so long as he gets three coins next week.
(c) What's the donor hiding in his coat pocket?
(d) He can't afford a bad week.
2. What does Golde tell Tevye about Lazar Wolf as Tevye tries to pray?
(a) He would be a good match for one of their daughters.
(b) He will stop by soon.
(c) He wants to marry one of their daughters.
(d) He wants to talk to him.
3. When addressing the audience at the start of the story, Tevye explains that in his community balance is kept through what?
(a) Law and order.
(c) Hard work.
4. Motel and Tzeitel have been friends since:
(a) They were babies.
(b) Tzeitel saved Motel's life.
(c) The fourth grade.
(d) Motel moved next door.
5. When Chava and Fyedka find themselves alone, what does Fyedka say to her?
(a) He'd like to take her to the dance.
(b) She must never talk to Sasha again.
(c) He's seen her at the bookseller's.
(d) She needs to be more careful.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tevye explains that in his community, prayer shawls are worn as what?
2. Lazar tries to convince Tevye to agree to a marriage between him and Tzeitel by explaining that he's well off and ________________.
3. When Tevye sings "If I Were A Rich Man," he says that he'd build a house with one staircase going up, one going down, and the third _____________.
4. After Golde talks to Tevye about Lazar Wolf, what does Tevye agree to do?
5. When Golde finds Perchik teaching her younger daughters, what does she say?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)