|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As they make preparations for the Sabbath, what does Tzeitel urge Motel to do?
(a) Talk to Tevye before it's too late.
(b) Bring in extra food from his house.
(c) Find out who Perchik really is.
(d) Distract Lazar so Tevye can't talk to him.
2. Tevye convinces himself that by marrying Lazar, Tzeitel will never know what?
3. When Perchik praises Hodel's quick and witty tongue, Tevye says that _____________.
(a) The wit comes from him and the tongue comes from her mother.
(b) Hodel has the quickest, wittiest tongue of anyone in the family.
(c) The tongue comes from him and the wit comes from her mother.
(d) All of his daughters are witty, quick, and wise.
4. Tevye's conversation with the constable reveals that _______________.
(a) Nobody in the village can be trusted.
(b) The split between the Jews and Russians is real.
(c) The constable doesn't like Tevye at all.
(d) The constable is a wicked man.
5. How does Act 1, Scene 5 end?
(a) Tevye dances off with the fiddler.
(b) Tevye gives Golde a kiss.
(c) Golde yells at Tevye.
(d) Tevye collapses and falls asleep.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Hodel comments on Perchik's lesson about Laban and Jacob, what does she say?
2. Before coming to the village, Perchik was a university student where?
3. As everyone prepares for the Sabbath, what does Tzeitel tell Motel when they are alone?
4. When Tevye first offers Perchik a piece of cheese, why does Perchik decline?
5. Why does the matchmaker feel that the shoemaker's daughter, who has poor eyesight, is a good match for a particular young man?
This section contains 340 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)