|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Tevye sings "If I Were A Rich Man," he says that he'd build a house with one staircase going up, one going down, and the third _____________.
(a) Going nowhere.
(b) Extending beyond the roof.
(c) Going sideways.
(d) Extending into the cellar.
2. When Tevye asks Shprintze and Bielke if they want to take lessons from Perchik, how do the girls respond?
(a) They giggle and say yes.
(b) They refuse.
(c) They ask their mother.
(d) They say they're not sure.
3. Hearing the news of the upcoming marriage, Russians who were sitting and drinking nearby bestow the following words upon Lazar and Tevye:
(a) Be well and merry.
(b) Enjoy everything.
(c) Heaven bless you both.
(d) Live long and prosper.
4. Tevye claims that without their traditions, the villagers' lives would be ______________.
(a) As cold as a Siberian winter.
(b) As lonely as a frightened fiddler.
(c) As empty as a drained milk jug.
(d) As shaky as a fiddler on the roof.
5. When Perchik tells Tevye's family that he's a good teacher, how does Hodel respond?
(a) Calls him a con artist.
(b) Says she knows more than he does.
(c) Asks him to leave.
(d) Expresses doubt.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Golde react to the news the matchmaker delivers regarding the butcher?
2. What is Motel's job?
3. Which of the following is NOT one of Tevye's daughters?
4. When a beggar gets only one coin this week, he complains that he got two coins the previous week. The donor explains he had a bad week, to which the beggar replies:
5. The village matchmaker, who has been a widow for a long time, claims that a bad husband:
This section contains 328 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)