|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the "Tradition" song, what does each son hope about the bride chosen for him?
(a) She's smart.
(b) She's pretty.
(c) She sings nicely.
(d) She cooks well.
2. According to the "Tradition" song sung by everyone, what are the "Papas" expected to do?
(a) Work to keep the peace.
(b) Plant seasonal crops.
(c) Scramble for a living.
(d) Mend broken roofs.
3. When Tevye sings "If I Were A Rich Man," he says that he'd build a house with one staircase going up, one going down, and the third _____________.
(a) Going sideways.
(b) Extending beyond the roof.
(c) Going nowhere.
(d) Extending into the cellar.
4. When addressing the audience at the start of the story, Tevye explains that in his community balance is kept through what?
(b) Law and order.
(d) Hard work.
5. Why does the matchmaker feel that the shoemaker's daughter, who has poor eyesight, is a good match for a particular young man?
(a) He's twice her age.
(b) He can't hear well.
(c) He's not much to look at.
(d) He can afford to buy her glasses.
Short Answer Questions
1. What news does the matchmaker deliver to Golde and her daughters regarding the butcher, Lazar Wolf?
2. When Golde asks Tevye where his horse is, what does Tevye reply?
3. How does Golde react to the news the matchmaker delivers regarding the butcher?
4. When one of her daughters reminds Golde that Tevye works hard, what does Golde say?
5. Why are traditions important to Tevye?
This section contains 314 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)