|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the story, "The End," why is the man in the back of the store lying down?
2. To whom does Nils Runeberg compare Judas?
3. Why does the narrator seek shelter at the Englishman's ranch?
4. Why does the narrator have to leave his cousin's house?
5. Which character dies at the end of "The End"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What theory does Erik Lonnrot have about the murders in "Death and the Compass"?
2. What is Jaromir Hladik's prayer?
3. In "The Form of the Sword," what symbolism is evident in the scar on the Englishman's face?
4. How does the Englishman in "The Form of the Sword" receive the scar on his face?
5. Why does Ireneo Funes suffer from insomnia?
6. Why does language frustrate Ireneo Funes?
7. What does Jaromir Hladik regret?
8. In "Theme of the Traitor and Hero," why are the details of Ryan's great-grandfather's death obscured?
9. What unusual theories does Nils Runeberg propose?
10. In "Theme of the Traitor and Hero," what coincidences raise Ryan's suspicion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Borges use savants to express the themes of his work? What social implications does he draw from savant abilities? What are the positive and negative consequences that Borges associates with the growth of the human mind?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Borges' use of labyrinths in "Ficciones." How does a labyrinth differ from a maze? How do characters create labyrinths, and what purpose do they serve? What warnings does Borges give his readers through the use of labyrinths?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Borges' use of infinity. How does he use verbal imagery to describe the concept of infinity? What relationship does Borges' create between the infinite universe and the finite human mind? How does he use infinite images and descriptions to express his themes?
This section contains 1,239 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)