|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Erik Lonnrot?
2. Who is Ryan?
3. What type of play is Jaromir Hladik writing?
4. At what age does Ireneo Funes die?
5. What happens during Jaromir Hladik's execution?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Englishman in "The Form of the Sword" hide his identity in the story?
2. Describe Jaromir Hladik.
3. In "The Form of the Sword," how does the Irishman rescue John Vincent Moon?
4. Why does language frustrate Ireneo Funes?
5. In "The Form of the Sword," what symbolism is evident in the scar on the Englishman's face?
6. What discovery does Erik Lonnrot make about the murders at the fourth crime scene?
7. What unique abilities does Ireneo Funes possess?
8. What unusual theories does Nils Runeberg propose?
9. How do the stranger and the black man feel about their rivalry?
10. In "The End," why do the black man and the stranger fight?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the use of metaphors in "Ficciones." How do implicit metaphors differ from implicit metaphors? How do metaphors express themes more clearly than plain narrative? What analogies does Borges create in his stories?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Borges' use of labyrinths in "Ficciones." How does a labyrinth differ from a maze? How do characters create labyrinths, and what purpose do they serve? What warnings does Borges give his readers through the use of labyrinths?
Essay Topic 3
What is absurdist fiction, and how does Borges employ this genre in his work? What relationship exists between absurdism and satire? What is the purpose of absurdist fiction, and how is it often misinterpreted?
This section contains 1,089 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)