|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ryan believe Fergus Kilpatrick's murder was never solved?
2. In "Death and the Compass," what do the police receive in the mail after the third murder?
3. How long does John Vincent Moon hide while the Irishman fights in the rebellion?
4. In the story, "The End," which character has lost a guitar duel?
5. From what point of view is "Theme of the Traitor and Hero" written?
Short Essay Questions
1. What theory does Erik Lonnrot have about the murders in "Death and the Compass"?
2. What does Jaromir Hladik regret?
3. In "The Form of the Sword," how does the Irishman rescue John Vincent Moon?
4. Describe Ireneo Funes.
5. In "Theme of the Traitor and Hero," why are the details of Ryan's great-grandfather's death obscured?
6. Why does the Englishman in "The Form of the Sword" hide his identity in the story?
7. Why does Ireneo Funes suffer from insomnia?
8. How does Erik Lonnrot discover the location of the fourth murder?
9. Why does language frustrate Ireneo Funes?
10. What unusual theories does Nils Runeberg propose?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Borges' use of cowards, heroes, and traitors. What dualities exist among many of Borges' characters? How do cowards and traitors find redemption? What contributions to society do Borges' heroes make?
Essay Topic 2
What is the symbolism of Moon's scar? Why does he hide his identity when the scar is clearly visible? What impact might the scar have on his ability to find redemption for his actions?
Essay Topic 3
Several of Borges' stories are designed to imitate detective mysteries and puzzles. Describe how he uses these literary devices and styles to express his themes. What responsibility does Borges place on the readers of these stories? How does the reader's search for a solution teach him or her about the theme?
This section contains 1,170 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)