|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the universe described in "The Library of Babel"?
2. From what point of view is "The Garden of Forking Paths" written?
3. How does Pierre Menard describe the work of Edgar Allen Poe?
4. What does Herbert Quain inspire the narrator to write?
5. What power does the Company have over lottery players?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the irony prevalent in "Pierre Menard, Author of Don Quixote"?
2. How does Dr. Yu Tsun arrive at Stephen Albert's house?
3. What inconsistencies exist in the writings of Herbert Quain?
4. Why is the student trying to find Al-Mu'tasim?
5. What is unique about the Babylon lottery?
6. What fear does the Company in "The Babylon Lottery" inspire?
7. In "Tlon, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius," what dispute arises from the discussion about mirrors?
8. In "The Circular Ruins," what fear does the protagonist have for his son?
9. Describe Dr. Yu Tsun.
10. Describe the satire present in "An Examination of the Work of Herbert Quain."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What ironies does Borges point out in literature? How does Borges use style to create irony? What themes does Borges express through the use of irony?
Essay Topic 2
What is the symbolism of Moon's scar? Why does he hide his identity when the scar is clearly visible? What impact might the scar have on his ability to find redemption for his actions?
Essay Topic 3
How does Borges use the theme of betrayal in his work? According to Borges, what are the long- and short-term effects of betrayal? What lesson does Borges teach about betrayal through "The Form of the Sword"?
This section contains 1,240 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)