|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Approach to Al-Mu'tasim," where does the student go after he leaves Indapur?
2. How many books does the library of Babel contain?
3. What is April March?
4. Who is the hero of "The Approach to Al-Mu'tasim"?
5. What fascinates the narrator the most about the planet of Tlon?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the universe described in "The Library of Babel"?
2. How does the Babylon lottery cause an uprising?
3. Why does Dr. Yu Tsun murder Dr. Albert?
4. What opinion does the narrator of "Pierre Menard, Author of Don Quixote" have of Menard's work?
5. What is unique about the Babylon lottery?
6. Describe the second dream from "The Circular Ruins."
7. What is the significance of the student in "The Approach of Al-Mu'tasim" relinquishing his social status?
8. Describe the first dream from "The Circular Ruins."
9. In "The Circular Ruins," what fear does the protagonist have for his son?
10. Describe Al-Mu'tasim.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the use of dreams and alternate reality in Borges' work. What abilities are Borges' characters given in these alternate states? How does Borges use alternate states to express his themes?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Borges' use of infinity. How does he use verbal imagery to describe the concept of infinity? What relationship does Borges' create between the infinite universe and the finite human mind? How does he use infinite images and descriptions to express his themes?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Borges' use of cowards, heroes, and traitors. What dualities exist among many of Borges' characters? How do cowards and traitors find redemption? What contributions to society do Borges' heroes make?
This section contains 1,178 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)