|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ireneo Funes become paralyzed?
(a) By falling off a horse.
(b) By falling off a truck.
(c) By falling out of a tree.
(d) By being struck by a truck.
2. In "Death and the Compass," what do the police receive in the mail after the third murder?
(a) A lock of hair.
(b) A confession.
(c) A knife.
(d) A map.
3. In the story, "The End," who has the stranger killed previously?
(a) The store owner's son.
(b) His brother.
(c) The black man.
(d) The black man's brother.
4. To which nationality are the members of the Sect of the Phoenix compared?
5. How does John Vincent Moon anger the Irishman?
(a) He trades ammunition for food.
(b) He steals the Irishman's rations.
(c) He turns the Irishman in to the authorities.
(d) He refuses to fight.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ireneo Funes feel that language is futile?
2. Why does Erik Lonnrot believe the third man in "Death and the Compass" was murdered?
3. To what do scholars ascribe Nils Runeberg's odd beliefs?
4. What do the narrator and Ireneo Funes discuss?
5. In his anger, how does the Irishman injure John Vincent Moon?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Theme of the Traitor and Hero," what coincidences raise Ryan's suspicion?
2. How is Fergus Kilpatrick both a traitor and a hero?
3. What discovery does Erik Lonnrot make about the murders at the fourth crime scene?
4. What does Jaromir Hladik regret?
5. What is Jaromir Hladik's prayer?
6. What theory does Erik Lonnrot have about the murders in "Death and the Compass"?
7. Why does Ireneo Funes suffer from insomnia?
8. Why does language frustrate Ireneo Funes?
9. Describe Ireneo Funes.
10. What irony is evident in the membership of the Sect of the Phoenix?
This section contains 1,194 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)