|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What nationality is Jaromir Hladik?
2. Where does Fergus Kilpatrick die?
(a) In a barn.
(b) In England.
(c) In his bed.
(d) In the theater.
3. To which nationality are the members of the Sect of the Phoenix compared?
4. In the story, "The End," with whom does the stranger converse?
(a) The black man.
(b) The stranger.
(c) The store owner.
(d) The store owner's son.
5. In "Death and the Compass," why do the police believe the rabbi was murdered?
(a) As part of a botched robbery.
(b) As part of a hate crime.
(c) He offended a group of religious people.
(d) As part of a crime of passion.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which American President is compared with Fergus Kilpatrick?
2. In the story, "The End," why is the man in the back of the store lying down?
3. Which Shakespearean character is compared with Fergus Kilpatrick?
4. What happens to the Irishman at the end of "The Form of the Sword"?
5. In "Death and the Compass," how are Erik Lonnrot and the police alerted to the third murder?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Fergus Kilpatrick both a traitor and a hero?
2. What is Jaromir Hladik's prayer?
3. Why does the Englishman in "The Form of the Sword" hide his identity in the story?
4. How does Erik Lonnrot discover the location of the fourth murder?
5. Describe Jaromir Hladik.
6. Why does language frustrate Ireneo Funes?
7. In "The Form of the Sword," what symbolism is evident in the scar on the Englishman's face?
8. Describe Ireneo Funes.
9. Why does Ireneo Funes suffer from insomnia?
10. What unusual theories does Nils Runeberg propose?
This section contains 1,084 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)