|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Tlon, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius", from what source does one of the men quote?
(a) A novel.
(b) A play.
(c) An encyclopedia.
(d) A scientific journal.
2. What does Herbert Quain inspire the narrator to write?
(a) The Road Not Taken.
(b) The Circular Ruins.
(c) O Captain! My Captain!
(d) Bee! I'm expecting you!
3. What is the Company?
(a) The lottery players.
(b) The merchant's guild.
(c) The bank.
(d) The group that runs the lottery.
4. In "The Circular Ruins," what happens to the body organ in the protagonist's dream?
(a) It disappears.
(b) It grows and develops into a man.
(c) It rises into the air.
(d) It grows and develops into a woman.
5. Who is the Man of the Book?
(a) Keeper of the Crimson Hexagon.
(b) The author of the library.
(c) A messianic figure who has read the library catalog.
(d) A man who destroys inappropriate books.
Short Answer Questions
1. What opinion does the narrator have of Herbert Quain's work?
2. From what point of view is "The Circular Ruins" written?
3. What is the name of the god of the temple in "The Circular Ruins"?
4. Where is "The Babylon Lottery" set?
5. What are Uqbar and Tlon?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Herbert Quain.
2. In "Tlon, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius," what dispute arises from the discussion about mirrors?
3. Why can't the inappropriate information in the library of Babel be destroyed?
4. Who are the Purifiers?
5. Describe Dr. Yu Tsun.
6. What fear does the Company in "The Babylon Lottery" inspire?
7. Describe the first dream from "The Circular Ruins."
8. What causes some people in the library of Babel to go insane?
9. What is the irony prevalent in "Pierre Menard, Author of Don Quixote"?
10. What inconsistencies exist in the writings of Herbert Quain?
This section contains 1,117 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)