|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many stories are contained in April March?
2. Who is the hero of "The Approach to Al-Mu'tasim"?
(a) A student.
(c) A lawyer.
(d) A robber.
3. From what point of view is "The Library of Babel" written?
(a) Second person omniscient.
(b) Second person.
(c) Third person.
(d) First person.
4. What body organ begins a dream of the protagonist in "The Circular Ruins"?
(a) An eye.
(b) A hand.
(c) A heart.
(d) An ear.
5. What is unique about the objects from Tlon that are released into the narrator's world?
(a) They do not reflect images.
(b) They melt after a few days.
(c) They are real objects from an imaginary world.
(d) They are cold.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does the protagonist in "The Circular Ruins" pray?
2. Where is "The Babylon Lottery" set?
3. What is exchanged for bits of bone or decorated parchment in "The Babylon Lottery"?
4. Why is Herbert Quain mentioned in the newspaper?
5. Who examines Pierre Menard's manuscripts?
Short Essay Questions
1. What inconsistencies exist in the writings of Herbert Quain?
2. In "The Circular Ruins," what revelation does the protagonist have about his own identity?
3. What is unique about the Babylon lottery?
4. According to the narrator, what is the most important theme of "The Approach of Al-Mu'tasim"?
5. Describe Pierre Menard.
6. How does Dr. Yu Tsun arrive at Stephen Albert's house?
7. Why does Dr. Yu Tsun murder Dr. Albert?
8. How does the Babylon lottery cause an uprising?
9. Describe Dr. Yu Tsun.
10. Who are the Purifiers?
This section contains 1,216 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)