|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From what point of view is "The Library of Babel" written?
(a) Third person.
(b) Second person.
(c) First person.
(d) Second person omniscient.
2. In "The Approach to Al-Mu'tasim," why does the student run to the top of a tower?
(a) He believes he has killed someone.
(b) He is angry.
(c) He longs to end his suffering.
(d) He is tired of all the fighting.
3. Who is Al-Mu'tasim?
(a) A blind astrologer.
(b) A Hindu prophet.
(c) A kind Persian bookseller.
(d) The student's father.
4. Who are the Purifiers?
(a) No one knows.
(b) A group of authors.
(c) Guardians of the Crimson Hexagon.
(d) A group that destroys inappropriate books.
5. Who is the hero of "The Approach to Al-Mu'tasim"?
(a) A robber.
(b) A student.
(c) A lawyer.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the narrator discover "The First Encyclopedia of Tlon"?
2. In "The Approach to Al-Mu'tasim," why does the student decide to travel the country?
3. What does Dr. Yu Tsun discuss with Dr. Stephen Albert?
4. With which country is Dr. Yu Tsun allied?
5. To whom does the protagonist in "The Circular Ruins" pray?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dr. Stephen Albert reveal to Dr. Yu Tsun?
2. What is unique about the Babylon lottery?
3. Describe the second dream from "The Circular Ruins."
4. What opinion does Pierre Menard have of Cervantes' "Don Quixote"?
5. What fear does the Company in "The Babylon Lottery" inspire?
6. What opinion does the narrator of "Pierre Menard, Author of Don Quixote" have of Menard's work?
7. What causes some people in the library of Babel to go insane?
8. Who are the Purifiers?
9. What is the significance of the student in "The Approach of Al-Mu'tasim" relinquishing his social status?
10. In "The Circular Ruins," what revelation does the protagonist have about his own identity?
This section contains 1,232 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)