|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How are the three murders in "Death and the Compass" related?
(a) All the victims spoke a part of God's name aloud.
(b) The three victims were business partners.
(c) All the murders occured on a Tuesday.
(d) All of the victims were Jewish.
2. What do the members of the Sect of the Phoenix have in common?
(a) They have a secret.
(b) They are part of a coup.
(c) They all have a terminal illness.
(d) They are all brothers.
3. What does Ryan publish?
(a) A magazine article.
(b) A play.
(c) A book.
(d) An ode.
4. Who is most likely the traitor that Fergus Kilpatrick sentences to death?
(a) Fergus Kilpatrick.
(b) James Alexander Nolan.
(d) The narrator.
5. What does the narrator ask the Englishman after dinner?
(a) Where he can find a telephone.
(b) When he fought in the war.
(c) Why the room is so dark.
(d) How he received his scar.
6. Why does the narrator visit Ireneo Funes before returning home?
(a) To say goodbye.
(b) To retrieve his scarf.
(c) To retrieve his books.
(d) To give him a coat.
7. Who is John Vincent Moon?
(a) The narrator.
(b) The Irishman.
(c) Ireneo Funes.
(d) The Englishman.
8. To whom does Nils Runeberg compare Judas?
9. In "Death and the Compass," how are Erik Lonnrot and the police alerted to the third murder?
(a) By email.
(b) By a phone call.
(c) By clues found at the second crime scene.
(d) By mail.
10. How does John Vincent Moon anger the Irishman?
(a) He turns the Irishman in to the authorities.
(b) He trades ammunition for food.
(c) He refuses to fight.
(d) He steals the Irishman's rations.
11. What happens to Jaromir Hladik at the end of "The Secret Miracle"?
(a) He is executed.
(b) He escapes, but dies of typhus a few weeks later.
(c) He vanishes with the wind.
(d) He escapes.
12. How do the stranger and the black man resolve their differences?
(a) They go to court.
(b) The store owner mediates an agreement.
(c) The stranger pays the black man for his troubles.
(d) They duel.
13. How does Ireneo Funes become paralyzed?
(a) By falling off a truck.
(b) By falling out of a tree.
(c) By being struck by a truck.
(d) By falling off a horse.
14. Why does the narrator seek shelter at the Englishman's ranch?
(a) He is hiding from soldiers.
(b) He car had a flat tire.
(c) He is caught in a terrible storm.
(d) He is running from the police.
15. From what point of view is "Theme of the Traitor and Hero" written?
(a) First person.
(b) Third person.
(c) Second person.
(d) Second person omniscient.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ryan believe Fergus Kilpatrick's murder was never solved?
2. Where is the Englishman scarred?
3. When is "The Secret Miracle" set?
4. What does Jaromir Hladik hear in a dream?
5. Why does Erik Lonnrot believe the rabbi was murdered?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)