|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ireneo Funes die?
(a) From heart failure.
(b) From a blood clot in his brain.
(c) He is shot.
(d) By falling out of bed.
2. In the story, "The End," who has the stranger killed previously?
(a) The black man.
(b) The store owner's son.
(c) His brother.
(d) The black man's brother.
3. To whom does Nils Runeberg compare Judas?
4. Why does the narrator visit Ireneo Funes before returning home?
(a) To give him a coat.
(b) To say goodbye.
(c) To retrieve his scarf.
(d) To retrieve his books.
5. How does Nils Runeberg die?
(a) From an aneurysm.
(b) He is executed.
(c) In an automobile wreck.
(d) From a heart attack.
6. Who is John Vincent Moon?
(a) The Englishman.
(b) The Irishman.
(c) The narrator.
(d) Ireneo Funes.
7. Where does Fergus Kilpatrick die?
(a) In England.
(b) In his bed.
(c) In the theater.
(d) In a barn.
8. Which Shakespearean character is compared with Fergus Kilpatrick?
(b) Marcus Brutus.
(d) Julius Caesar.
9. What is the "secret miracle" that Jaromir Hladik experiences?
(a) He is able to pretend to be dead.
(b) The Allies arrive before the executioners can reload.
(c) Lightning stirkes the executioners.
(d) During his execution, he is able to mentally finish his play.
10. When is "The Secret Miracle" set?
(a) During World War I.
(b) In an undetermined time.
(c) In the future.
(d) During World War II.
11. Who is Jaromir Hladik?
(a) A watchmaker.
(b) A writer.
(c) A rabbi.
(d) A soldier.
12. In "Death and the Compass," how are Erik Lonnrot and the police alerted to the third murder?
(a) By a phone call.
(b) By email.
(c) By mail.
(d) By clues found at the second crime scene.
13. Why does Ireneo Funes feel that language is futile?
(a) It is too full of contradictions.
(b) No one knows how to converse anymore.
(c) People do not listen when others speak.
(d) There are not enough differing words to describe objects.
14. How does Ireneo Funes become paralyzed?
(a) By falling off a horse.
(b) By falling off a truck.
(c) By being struck by a truck.
(d) By falling out of a tree.
15. Why is Jaromir Hladik scheduled to be executed?
(a) Because he is Jewish.
(b) Because of his writing.
(c) He is a spy.
(d) He murdered a soldier.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the story, "The End," which character has lost a guitar duel?
2. What happens to John Vincent Moon during the Irish rebellion?
3. Who is allowed to be a part of the Sect of the Phoenix?
4. What do the members of the Sect of the Phoenix call themselves?
5. What conclusion does Ryan make about the murder of Fergus Kilpatrick?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)