|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is James Alexander Nolan?
(a) The great grandson of Fergus Kilpatrick.
(b) A friend of Fergus Kilpatrick.
(c) The Taoiseach of Ireland.
(d) An Englishman.
2. What does Ireneo Funes ask to borrow from the narrator?
(b) A scarf.
(c) A coat.
(d) A pen.
3. In his anger, how does the Irishman injure John Vincent Moon?
(a) He slashes Moon in the face.
(b) He strikes Moon's broken leg.
(c) He burns Moon's hands.
(d) He whips Moon's back.
4. How does Fergus Kilpatrick die?
(a) He is murdered in his sleep.
(b) He falls off the top of a building.
(c) He falls in a well.
(d) He is assassinated.
5. Where does Jaromir Hladik live?
6. To whom does Nils Runeberg compare Judas?
7. In the story, "The End," why is the man in the back of the store lying down?
(a) He is ill and unable to walk.
(b) He just woke up.
(c) He has just been shot.
(d) He is tired.
8. From what point of view is "Funes, The Memorious" written?
(a) Third person.
(b) Second person omniscient.
(c) Second person.
(d) First person.
9. How does Ireneo Funes die?
(a) From a blood clot in his brain.
(b) From heart failure.
(c) He is shot.
(d) By falling out of bed.
10. Why are Nils Runeberg's theories controversial?
(a) They claim Judas never existed.
(b) He bakes pies in the shape of religious figures.
(c) They give three theories for the behavior of Judas.
(d) They claim that time is irrelevant.
11. In "Death and the Compass," what do the police receive in the mail after the third murder?
(a) A confession.
(b) A knife.
(c) A lock of hair.
(d) A map.
12. To which nationality are the members of the Sect of the Phoenix compared?
13. In "Death and the Compass," what does the reader learn about the clues found at the crime scenes?
(a) They were taken from the Vindications.
(b) They were a ruse to lure Lonnrot to his death.
(c) The victims were all murderers themselves.
(d) They were all part of an insurance scam.
14. How does Nils Runeberg die?
(a) From an aneurysm.
(b) He is executed.
(c) In an automobile wreck.
(d) From a heart attack.
15. Why does Scharlach lead Erik Lonnrot to the location of the fourth murder?
(a) The fourth victim is his brother.
(b) To kill him for arresting his brother.
(c) Out of guilt.
(d) To turn in his deranged brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Erik Lonnrot?
2. In "Death and the Compass," what do the police find at each crime scene?
3. Who is Ryan?
4. What do the members of the Sect of the Phoenix have in common?
5. Why does Erik Lonnrot believe the third man in "Death and the Compass" was murdered?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)