|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character dies at the end of "The End"?
(a) The store owner's son.
(b) The black man.
(c) The stranger.
(d) The store owner.
2. What do the members of the Sect of the Phoenix have in common?
(a) They are all brothers.
(b) They have a secret.
(c) They all have a terminal illness.
(d) They are part of a coup.
3. In "Death and the Compass," why do the police believe the rabbi was murdered?
(a) As part of a hate crime.
(b) As part of a botched robbery.
(c) He offended a group of religious people.
(d) As part of a crime of passion.
4. When is "The Secret Miracle" set?
(a) During World War I.
(b) In an undetermined time.
(c) During World War II.
(d) In the future.
5. Who is allowed to be a part of the Sect of the Phoenix?
(a) Only men.
(b) Anyone who can pass the exam.
(c) Anyone and everyone.
(d) Men over the age of 60.
6. In "Death and the Compass," what do the police receive in the mail after the third murder?
(a) A map.
(b) A knife.
(c) A confession.
(d) A lock of hair.
7. Why does Ireneo Funes suffer from insomnia?
(a) His hyper-awareness prevents him from sleeping.
(b) He is in constant pain.
(c) He is afraid of the approaching enemy.
(d) He wants to live every moment.
8. Why does Scharlach lead Erik Lonnrot to the location of the fourth murder?
(a) To kill him for arresting his brother.
(b) To turn in his deranged brother.
(c) Out of guilt.
(d) The fourth victim is his brother.
9. In the story, "The End," who has the stranger killed previously?
(a) The store owner's son.
(b) The black man's brother.
(c) His brother.
(d) The black man.
10. How does Fergus Kilpatrick die?
(a) He is murdered in his sleep.
(b) He falls in a well.
(c) He falls off the top of a building.
(d) He is assassinated.
11. Who is Ryan?
(a) A friend of of Fergus Kilpatrick.
(b) An Irish rebel.
(c) The great grandson of Fergus Kilpatrick.
(d) The Taoiseach of Ireland.
12. What does Ryan publish?
(a) A magazine article.
(b) A book.
(c) A play.
(d) An ode.
13. Who is Nils Runeberg?
(a) A watch maker.
(b) A baker and theologian.
(c) A fictitious writer of biblical theories.
(d) A scholar and theologian.
14. How do the stranger and the black man resolve their differences?
(a) The store owner mediates an agreement.
(b) They duel.
(c) They go to court.
(d) The stranger pays the black man for his troubles.
15. Who is John Vincent Moon?
(a) Ireneo Funes.
(b) The narrator.
(c) The Irishman.
(d) The Englishman.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the story, "The End," with whom does the stranger converse?
2. Why does Erik Lonnrot believe the rabbi was murdered?
3. To whom does Nils Runeberg compare Judas?
4. In "Death and the Compass," what structure is designed like a labyrinth?
5. Why does the narrator seek shelter at the Englishman's ranch?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)