|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does John Vincent Moon hide while the Irishman fights in the rebellion?
(a) A month.
(b) A week.
(c) A year.
(d) Three days.
2. In "Death and the Compass," how are Erik Lonnrot and the police alerted to the third murder?
(a) By a phone call.
(b) By mail.
(c) By email.
(d) By clues found at the second crime scene.
3. How do the stranger and the black man resolve their differences?
(a) They duel.
(b) The store owner mediates an agreement.
(c) They go to court.
(d) The stranger pays the black man for his troubles.
4. Who is Ryan?
(a) A friend of of Fergus Kilpatrick.
(b) An Irish rebel.
(c) The Taoiseach of Ireland.
(d) The great grandson of Fergus Kilpatrick.
5. In the story, "The End," which character has lost a guitar duel?
(a) The store owner.
(b) The stranger.
(c) The store owner's son.
(d) The black man.
6. Why does Ryan believe Fergus Kilpatrick's murder was never solved?
(a) The police purposely hid the identity of the killers.
(b) His body was cremated.
(c) No one was at home with Kilpatrick.
(d) The murder occured in a different country.
7. How does Ireneo Funes become paralyzed?
(a) By being struck by a truck.
(b) By falling off a truck.
(c) By falling off a horse.
(d) By falling out of a tree.
8. What do the members of the Sect of the Phoenix call themselves?
(a) Men of the fire.
(b) Men of the secret.
(c) The Company.
9. How does Fergus Kilpatrick die?
(a) He falls off the top of a building.
(b) He falls in a well.
(c) He is murdered in his sleep.
(d) He is assassinated.
10. Which character dies at the end of "The End"?
(a) The store owner.
(b) The store owner's son.
(c) The black man.
(d) The stranger.
11. What do the members of the Sect of the Phoenix have in common?
(a) They all have a terminal illness.
(b) They are all brothers.
(c) They are part of a coup.
(d) They have a secret.
12. Who is John Vincent Moon?
(a) The Englishman.
(b) Ireneo Funes.
(c) The narrator.
(d) The Irishman.
13. Why does the narrator have to leave his cousin's house?
(a) His sister is getting married.
(b) He must return to work.
(c) His father is dying.
(d) He has been called to active duty.
14. What does Ireneo Funes ask to borrow from the narrator?
(b) A coat.
(c) A scarf.
(d) A pen.
15. Why does Erik Lonnrot believe the third man in "Death and the Compass" was murdered?
(a) As part of a hate crime.
(b) He offended a group of religious people.
(c) As part of a crime of passion.
(d) As part of a botched robbery.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Jaromir Hladik's unfinished play?
2. In the story, "The End," why is the man in the back of the store lying down?
3. How are the three murders in "Death and the Compass" related?
4. Where is the Englishman scarred?
5. Who is Fergus Kilpatrick?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)