|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens during Jaromir Hladik's execution?
(a) A sudden storm arises from the east.
(b) The executioners misfire.
(c) Time slows down.
(d) The bullets fall short of his body.
2. Why does the narrator seek shelter at the Englishman's ranch?
(a) He is running from the police.
(b) He is hiding from soldiers.
(c) He car had a flat tire.
(d) He is caught in a terrible storm.
3. Which American President is compared with Fergus Kilpatrick?
(b) John F. Kennedy.
4. What happens to the Irishman at the end of "The Form of the Sword"?
(a) He is shot by Moon.
(b) He is killed in the rebellion.
(c) He is taken away by the authorities.
(d) He runs away to France.
5. What do the members of the Sect of the Phoenix call themselves?
(b) The Company.
(c) Men of the fire.
(d) Men of the secret.
6. How does Ireneo Funes become paralyzed?
(a) By being struck by a truck.
(b) By falling off a horse.
(c) By falling out of a tree.
(d) By falling off a truck.
7. How does Nils Runeberg die?
(a) In an automobile wreck.
(b) From a heart attack.
(c) He is executed.
(d) From an aneurysm.
8. Why does Ryan believe Fergus Kilpatrick's murder was never solved?
(a) His body was cremated.
(b) No one was at home with Kilpatrick.
(c) The police purposely hid the identity of the killers.
(d) The murder occured in a different country.
9. Why does Erik Lonnrot believe the third man in "Death and the Compass" was murdered?
(a) He offended a group of religious people.
(b) As part of a hate crime.
(c) As part of a crime of passion.
(d) As part of a botched robbery.
10. How does the Irishman rescue John Vincent Moon?
(a) By carrying him to a hospital.
(b) By driving him to the border.
(c) By leading him to a safe house.
(d) By bandaging his leg.
11. What nationality is Jaromir Hladik?
12. To which nationality are the members of the Sect of the Phoenix compared?
13. From what illness does Nils Runeberg suffer?
14. Why does Ireneo Funes feel that language is futile?
(a) It is too full of contradictions.
(b) People do not listen when others speak.
(c) There are not enough differing words to describe objects.
(d) No one knows how to converse anymore.
15. Who is James Alexander Nolan?
(a) An Englishman.
(b) A friend of Fergus Kilpatrick.
(c) The Taoiseach of Ireland.
(d) The great grandson of Fergus Kilpatrick.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the members of the Sect of the Phoenix have in common?
2. In "The Form of the Sword," when does the Irish rebellion take place?
3. Why does Ireneo Funes suffer from insomnia?
4. What talent does Ireneo Funes possess?
5. How does John Vincent Moon anger the Irishman?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)