|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Erik Lonnrot believe the third man in "Death and the Compass" was murdered?
(a) As part of a crime of passion.
(b) As part of a hate crime.
(c) As part of a botched robbery.
(d) He offended a group of religious people.
2. Which character dies at the end of "The End"?
(a) The stranger.
(b) The store owner.
(c) The store owner's son.
(d) The black man.
3. How are the three murders in "Death and the Compass" related?
(a) The three victims were business partners.
(b) All the victims spoke a part of God's name aloud.
(c) All of the victims were Jewish.
(d) All the murders occured on a Tuesday.
4. How does Ireneo Funes die?
(a) From heart failure.
(b) By falling out of bed.
(c) He is shot.
(d) From a blood clot in his brain.
5. In the story, "The End," who has the stranger killed previously?
(a) The black man's brother.
(b) The black man.
(c) His brother.
(d) The store owner's son.
6. What does Jaromir Hladik hear in a dream?
(a) He will change the world.
(b) The wind blowing his name.
(c) He will have the time to finish his play.
(d) He will live forever.
7. In "The Form of the Sword," when does the Irish rebellion take place?
(a) The mid-sixties.
(b) The late thirties.
(c) The early forties.
(d) The early twenties.
8. How long does John Vincent Moon hide while the Irishman fights in the rebellion?
(a) A week.
(b) Three days.
(c) A year.
(d) A month.
9. From what point of view is "Theme of the Traitor and Hero" written?
(a) Third person.
(b) Second person.
(c) First person.
(d) Second person omniscient.
10. In "Death and the Compass," what does the reader learn about the clues found at the crime scenes?
(a) The victims were all murderers themselves.
(b) They were taken from the Vindications.
(c) They were all part of an insurance scam.
(d) They were a ruse to lure Lonnrot to his death.
11. Who is Fergus Kilpatrick?
(a) An Englishman.
(b) A friend of Ryan.
(c) An Irish rebel.
(d) The great-grandson of James Alexander Nolan.
12. In "Death and the Compass," what do the police find at each crime scene?
(a) A red rose.
(b) A knife.
(c) A letter to a printing company.
(d) Letters for a specific name for God.
13. What happens to the Irishman at the end of "The Form of the Sword"?
(a) He is taken away by the authorities.
(b) He runs away to France.
(c) He is shot by Moon.
(d) He is killed in the rebellion.
14. Who is most likely the traitor that Fergus Kilpatrick sentences to death?
(a) Fergus Kilpatrick.
(b) James Alexander Nolan.
(d) The narrator.
15. What type of play is Jaromir Hladik writing?
(a) A tragedy.
(b) A drama.
(c) A comedy.
(d) A farce.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does John Vincent Moon anger the Irishman?
2. Why does Erik Lonnrot believe the rabbi was murdered?
3. Why are Nils Runeberg's theories controversial?
4. How does the Irishman rescue John Vincent Moon?
5. Why does Scharlach lead Erik Lonnrot to the location of the fourth murder?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)