|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Erik Lonnrot believe the rabbi was murdered?
(a) As part of a botched robbery.
(b) As part of a hate crime.
(c) He offended a group of religious people.
(d) As part of a crime of passion.
2. Why does the narrator have to leave his cousin's house?
(a) He must return to work.
(b) His father is dying.
(c) His sister is getting married.
(d) He has been called to active duty.
3. Which character dies at the end of "The End"?
(a) The black man.
(b) The store owner.
(c) The stranger.
(d) The store owner's son.
4. What does Ryan publish?
(a) A play.
(b) An ode.
(c) A book.
(d) A magazine article.
5. What do the members of the Sect of the Phoenix call themselves?
(a) Men of the secret.
(b) Men of the fire.
(c) The Company.
6. What language is spoken in the Sect of the Phoenix?
(a) All languages.
7. When is "The Secret Miracle" set?
(a) During World War I.
(b) In an undetermined time.
(c) During World War II.
(d) In the future.
8. Why are Nils Runeberg's theories controversial?
(a) They give three theories for the behavior of Judas.
(b) They claim that time is irrelevant.
(c) He bakes pies in the shape of religious figures.
(d) They claim Judas never existed.
9. Where does Jaromir Hladik live?
10. What type of play is Jaromir Hladik writing?
(a) A comedy.
(b) A drama.
(c) A tragedy.
(d) A farce.
11. In "Death and the Compass," what structure is designed like a labyrinth?
(a) A house.
(b) A hotel.
(c) A motel.
(d) A garden.
12. What conclusion does Ryan make about the murder of Fergus Kilpatrick?
(a) It was designed to incite a rebellion.
(b) It never occured.
(c) Kilpatrick committed suicide.
(d) It was intentionally plotted to resemble Caesar's death.
13. What happens to the Irishman at the end of "The Form of the Sword"?
(a) He is killed in the rebellion.
(b) He is taken away by the authorities.
(c) He is shot by Moon.
(d) He runs away to France.
14. Which American President is compared with Fergus Kilpatrick?
(c) John F. Kennedy.
15. To what do scholars ascribe Nils Runeberg's odd beliefs?
(b) His upbringing.
(c) Mental illness.
(d) His insomnia.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Erik Lonnrot?
2. How do the stranger and the black man resolve their differences?
3. What does the narrator ask the Englishman after dinner?
4. Why is Jaromir Hladik scheduled to be executed?
5. What is the Sect of the Phoenix?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)