|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Jaromir Hladik live?
2. Why does Erik Lonnrot believe the third man in "Death and the Compass" was murdered?
(a) As part of a hate crime.
(b) He offended a group of religious people.
(c) As part of a crime of passion.
(d) As part of a botched robbery.
3. Who is Ryan?
(a) A friend of of Fergus Kilpatrick.
(b) An Irish rebel.
(c) The Taoiseach of Ireland.
(d) The great grandson of Fergus Kilpatrick.
4. What does Jaromir Hladik ask God for in a prayer?
(a) To punish his captors.
(b) To make him famous.
(c) Time to finish his play.
(d) To spare his life.
5. How long does John Vincent Moon hide while the Irishman fights in the rebellion?
(a) Three days.
(b) A month.
(c) A year.
(d) A week.
6. Who is Erik Lonnrot?
(a) A professor.
(b) A baker.
(c) A detective.
(d) A robber.
7. Why does the narrator have to leave his cousin's house?
(a) His sister is getting married.
(b) His father is dying.
(c) He must return to work.
(d) He has been called to active duty.
8. What happens to John Vincent Moon during the Irish rebellion?
(a) He falls from the top of a building.
(b) He is shot in the leg.
(c) He hides in a truck.
(d) He freezes during a battle.
9. What type of play is Jaromir Hladik writing?
(a) A drama.
(b) A comedy.
(c) A tragedy.
(d) A farce.
10. Who is the narrator visiting when he meets Ireneo Funes for the first time?
(a) A friend.
(b) His sister.
(c) His father.
(d) His cousin.
11. What do the members of the Sect of the Phoenix have in common?
(a) They have a secret.
(b) They are part of a coup.
(c) They are all brothers.
(d) They all have a terminal illness.
12. What happens to Jaromir Hladik at the end of "The Secret Miracle"?
(a) He escapes.
(b) He is executed.
(c) He vanishes with the wind.
(d) He escapes, but dies of typhus a few weeks later.
13. In his anger, how does the Irishman injure John Vincent Moon?
(a) He whips Moon's back.
(b) He burns Moon's hands.
(c) He slashes Moon in the face.
(d) He strikes Moon's broken leg.
14. Why does Scharlach lead Erik Lonnrot to the location of the fourth murder?
(a) To kill him for arresting his brother.
(b) Out of guilt.
(c) To turn in his deranged brother.
(d) The fourth victim is his brother.
15. Why does Ireneo Funes feel that language is futile?
(a) No one knows how to converse anymore.
(b) It is too full of contradictions.
(c) There are not enough differing words to describe objects.
(d) People do not listen when others speak.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are the three murders in "Death and the Compass" related?
2. What does Ryan publish?
3. From what illness does Nils Runeberg suffer?
4. To whom does Nils Runeberg compare Judas?
5. Why does the narrator visit Ireneo Funes before returning home?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)