|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ireneo Funes become paralyzed?
(a) By being struck by a truck.
(b) By falling out of a tree.
(c) By falling off a horse.
(d) By falling off a truck.
2. Why does Ireneo Funes feel that language is futile?
(a) It is too full of contradictions.
(b) People do not listen when others speak.
(c) There are not enough differing words to describe objects.
(d) No one knows how to converse anymore.
3. In "Death and the Compass," what structure is designed like a labyrinth?
(a) A motel.
(b) A hotel.
(c) A garden.
(d) A house.
4. Who is James Alexander Nolan?
(a) The great grandson of Fergus Kilpatrick.
(b) An Englishman.
(c) The Taoiseach of Ireland.
(d) A friend of Fergus Kilpatrick.
5. Why does Ireneo Funes suffer from insomnia?
(a) His hyper-awareness prevents him from sleeping.
(b) He wants to live every moment.
(c) He is in constant pain.
(d) He is afraid of the approaching enemy.
6. Who is Nils Runeberg?
(a) A baker and theologian.
(b) A watch maker.
(c) A fictitious writer of biblical theories.
(d) A scholar and theologian.
7. In the story, "The End," why is the man in the back of the store lying down?
(a) He has just been shot.
(b) He is tired.
(c) He just woke up.
(d) He is ill and unable to walk.
8. Why are Nils Runeberg's theories controversial?
(a) They claim that time is irrelevant.
(b) They claim Judas never existed.
(c) They give three theories for the behavior of Judas.
(d) He bakes pies in the shape of religious figures.
9. In the story, "The End," who has the stranger killed previously?
(a) The store owner's son.
(b) The black man's brother.
(c) His brother.
(d) The black man.
10. In "Death and the Compass," what do the police receive in the mail after the third murder?
(a) A knife.
(b) A lock of hair.
(c) A confession.
(d) A map.
11. Which American President is compared with Fergus Kilpatrick?
(b) John F. Kennedy.
12. How is John Vincent Moon wounded?
(a) His shoulder is grazed by a bullet.
(b) He hits his head on a rock.
(c) Both legs are broken from a fall.
(d) His chest is sliced by a bayonet.
13. How does Fergus Kilpatrick die?
(a) He falls off the top of a building.
(b) He is murdered in his sleep.
(c) He is assassinated.
(d) He falls in a well.
14. At what age does Ireneo Funes die?
15. What does the narrator ask the Englishman after dinner?
(a) Where he can find a telephone.
(b) When he fought in the war.
(c) How he received his scar.
(d) Why the room is so dark.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the narrator seek shelter at the Englishman's ranch?
2. Why does the narrator visit Ireneo Funes before returning home?
3. What do the narrator and Ireneo Funes discuss?
4. How long does John Vincent Moon hide while the Irishman fights in the rebellion?
5. What talent does Ireneo Funes possess?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)