|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ryan publish?
(a) A book.
(b) A magazine article.
(c) An ode.
(d) A play.
2. How does John Vincent Moon anger the Irishman?
(a) He turns the Irishman in to the authorities.
(b) He steals the Irishman's rations.
(c) He refuses to fight.
(d) He trades ammunition for food.
3. Why does Ryan believe Fergus Kilpatrick's murder was never solved?
(a) The murder occured in a different country.
(b) No one was at home with Kilpatrick.
(c) The police purposely hid the identity of the killers.
(d) His body was cremated.
4. Who is the narrator visiting when he meets Ireneo Funes for the first time?
(a) His cousin.
(b) His father.
(c) A friend.
(d) His sister.
5. In "The Form of the Sword," when does the Irish rebellion take place?
(a) The early forties.
(b) The early twenties.
(c) The mid-sixties.
(d) The late thirties.
6. In "Death and the Compass," what do the police receive in the mail after the third murder?
(a) A confession.
(b) A map.
(c) A lock of hair.
(d) A knife.
7. What happens to John Vincent Moon during the Irish rebellion?
(a) He falls from the top of a building.
(b) He hides in a truck.
(c) He is shot in the leg.
(d) He freezes during a battle.
8. Why does the narrator seek shelter at the Englishman's ranch?
(a) He is running from the police.
(b) He is hiding from soldiers.
(c) He is caught in a terrible storm.
(d) He car had a flat tire.
9. From what illness does Nils Runeberg suffer?
10. Where does Fergus Kilpatrick die?
(a) In a barn.
(b) In the theater.
(c) In England.
(d) In his bed.
11. To what do scholars ascribe Nils Runeberg's odd beliefs?
(a) His upbringing.
(b) Mental illness.
(d) His insomnia.
12. In his anger, how does the Irishman injure John Vincent Moon?
(a) He burns Moon's hands.
(b) He strikes Moon's broken leg.
(c) He whips Moon's back.
(d) He slashes Moon in the face.
13. Who is allowed to be a part of the Sect of the Phoenix?
(a) Men over the age of 60.
(b) Anyone and everyone.
(c) Anyone who can pass the exam.
(d) Only men.
14. What does Jaromir Hladik hear in a dream?
(a) He will live forever.
(b) The wind blowing his name.
(c) He will change the world.
(d) He will have the time to finish his play.
15. Why does Ireneo Funes suffer from insomnia?
(a) He wants to live every moment.
(b) He is afraid of the approaching enemy.
(c) He is in constant pain.
(d) His hyper-awareness prevents him from sleeping.
Short Answer Questions
1. To which nationality are the members of the Sect of the Phoenix compared?
2. Why does the narrator have to leave his cousin's house?
3. In "Death and the Compass," why do the police believe the rabbi was murdered?
4. Who is most likely the traitor that Fergus Kilpatrick sentences to death?
5. What does the narrator ask the Englishman after dinner?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)