|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does John Vincent Moon anger the Irishman?
(a) He refuses to fight.
(b) He steals the Irishman's rations.
(c) He trades ammunition for food.
(d) He turns the Irishman in to the authorities.
2. From what point of view is "Theme of the Traitor and Hero" written?
(a) First person.
(b) Third person.
(c) Second person.
(d) Second person omniscient.
3. Which American President is compared with Fergus Kilpatrick?
(c) John F. Kennedy.
4. What happens to John Vincent Moon during the Irish rebellion?
(a) He freezes during a battle.
(b) He hides in a truck.
(c) He is shot in the leg.
(d) He falls from the top of a building.
5. What happens to Jaromir Hladik at the end of "The Secret Miracle"?
(a) He is executed.
(b) He escapes.
(c) He vanishes with the wind.
(d) He escapes, but dies of typhus a few weeks later.
6. What does Jaromir Hladik hear in a dream?
(a) He will live forever.
(b) He will have the time to finish his play.
(c) He will change the world.
(d) The wind blowing his name.
7. What does the narrator ask the Englishman after dinner?
(a) How he received his scar.
(b) When he fought in the war.
(c) Where he can find a telephone.
(d) Why the room is so dark.
8. In "The Form of the Sword," when does the Irish rebellion take place?
(a) The late thirties.
(b) The mid-sixties.
(c) The early forties.
(d) The early twenties.
9. How does the Irishman rescue John Vincent Moon?
(a) By leading him to a safe house.
(b) By bandaging his leg.
(c) By driving him to the border.
(d) By carrying him to a hospital.
10. Why does Ryan believe Fergus Kilpatrick's murder was never solved?
(a) The murder occured in a different country.
(b) The police purposely hid the identity of the killers.
(c) His body was cremated.
(d) No one was at home with Kilpatrick.
11. What is the name of Jaromir Hladik's unfinished play?
(a) The Secret Miracle.
(b) The Enemies.
(c) The Truth.
(d) The Lie.
12. From what point of view is "Funes, The Memorious" written?
(a) Second person omniscient.
(b) Second person.
(c) First person.
(d) Third person.
13. What do the narrator and Ireneo Funes discuss?
(a) Funes' paralysis.
(b) The war.
(c) Funes' hyper-awareness.
(d) His sister.
14. Who is most likely the traitor that Fergus Kilpatrick sentences to death?
(a) James Alexander Nolan.
(b) Fergus Kilpatrick.
(d) The narrator.
15. In the story, "The End," with whom does the stranger converse?
(a) The store owner's son.
(b) The stranger.
(c) The black man.
(d) The store owner.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the members of the Sect of the Phoenix have in common?
2. Why does Erik Lonnrot believe the rabbi was murdered?
3. When is "The Secret Miracle" set?
4. Why does Ireneo Funes feel that language is futile?
5. In "Death and the Compass," what do the police receive in the mail after the third murder?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)