|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which Shakespearean character is compared with Fergus Kilpatrick?
(a) Marcus Brutus.
(d) Julius Caesar.
2. In "Death and the Compass," what does the reader learn about the clues found at the crime scenes?
(a) They were all part of an insurance scam.
(b) They were a ruse to lure Lonnrot to his death.
(c) They were taken from the Vindications.
(d) The victims were all murderers themselves.
3. Why does Ireneo Funes feel that language is futile?
(a) There are not enough differing words to describe objects.
(b) People do not listen when others speak.
(c) It is too full of contradictions.
(d) No one knows how to converse anymore.
4. To whom does Nils Runeberg compare Judas?
5. Who is Jaromir Hladik?
(a) A soldier.
(b) A writer.
(c) A rabbi.
(d) A watchmaker.
6. What language is spoken in the Sect of the Phoenix?
(b) All languages.
7. In the story, "The End," with whom does the stranger converse?
(a) The store owner.
(b) The stranger.
(c) The store owner's son.
(d) The black man.
8. In "The Form of the Sword," when does the Irish rebellion take place?
(a) The early twenties.
(b) The mid-sixties.
(c) The early forties.
(d) The late thirties.
9. Why does Erik Lonnrot believe the rabbi was murdered?
(a) As part of a crime of passion.
(b) As part of a botched robbery.
(c) As part of a hate crime.
(d) He offended a group of religious people.
10. What talent does Ireneo Funes possess?
(a) He can recite the entire dictionary.
(b) He can create new languages.
(c) He memorizes encyclopedias.
(d) He always knows the correct time.
11. Why does the narrator visit Ireneo Funes before returning home?
(a) To retrieve his books.
(b) To say goodbye.
(c) To retrieve his scarf.
(d) To give him a coat.
12. What does Jaromir Hladik hear in a dream?
(a) He will have the time to finish his play.
(b) He will live forever.
(c) The wind blowing his name.
(d) He will change the world.
13. From what point of view is "Funes, The Memorious" written?
(a) First person.
(b) Second person.
(c) Third person.
(d) Second person omniscient.
14. Who is allowed to be a part of the Sect of the Phoenix?
(a) Anyone and everyone.
(b) Anyone who can pass the exam.
(c) Only men.
(d) Men over the age of 60.
15. Where does Jaromir Hladik live?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the Irishman rescue John Vincent Moon?
2. To which nationality are the members of the Sect of the Phoenix compared?
3. Who is most likely the traitor that Fergus Kilpatrick sentences to death?
4. To what do scholars ascribe Nils Runeberg's odd beliefs?
5. What happens to Jaromir Hladik at the end of "The Secret Miracle"?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)