|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From what point of view is "Funes, The Memorious" written?
(a) Third person.
(b) First person.
(c) Second person.
(d) Second person omniscient.
2. How are the three murders in "Death and the Compass" related?
(a) The three victims were business partners.
(b) All the victims spoke a part of God's name aloud.
(c) All of the victims were Jewish.
(d) All the murders occured on a Tuesday.
3. Where is the Englishman scarred?
(a) On his back.
(b) On his hands.
(c) On his chest.
(d) On his face.
4. Who is James Alexander Nolan?
(a) The Taoiseach of Ireland.
(b) A friend of Fergus Kilpatrick.
(c) The great grandson of Fergus Kilpatrick.
(d) An Englishman.
5. What happens to the Irishman at the end of "The Form of the Sword"?
(a) He runs away to France.
(b) He is shot by Moon.
(c) He is killed in the rebellion.
(d) He is taken away by the authorities.
6. Why are Nils Runeberg's theories controversial?
(a) He bakes pies in the shape of religious figures.
(b) They claim Judas never existed.
(c) They give three theories for the behavior of Judas.
(d) They claim that time is irrelevant.
7. Who is allowed to be a part of the Sect of the Phoenix?
(a) Only men.
(b) Men over the age of 60.
(c) Anyone and everyone.
(d) Anyone who can pass the exam.
8. Which character dies at the end of "The End"?
(a) The stranger.
(b) The black man.
(c) The store owner's son.
(d) The store owner.
9. Why does Scharlach lead Erik Lonnrot to the location of the fourth murder?
(a) To turn in his deranged brother.
(b) To kill him for arresting his brother.
(c) The fourth victim is his brother.
(d) Out of guilt.
10. What is the name of Jaromir Hladik's unfinished play?
(a) The Secret Miracle.
(b) The Truth.
(c) The Enemies.
(d) The Lie.
11. In the story, "The End," who has the stranger killed previously?
(a) The black man.
(b) The store owner's son.
(c) The black man's brother.
(d) His brother.
12. Why does the narrator seek shelter at the Englishman's ranch?
(a) He is caught in a terrible storm.
(b) He is hiding from soldiers.
(c) He car had a flat tire.
(d) He is running from the police.
13. How long does John Vincent Moon hide while the Irishman fights in the rebellion?
(a) A week.
(b) A year.
(c) A month.
(d) Three days.
14. Why does Erik Lonnrot believe the second man in "Death and the Compass" was murdered?
(a) As part of a hate crime.
(b) As part of a botched robbery.
(c) He offended a group of religious people.
(d) As part of a crime of passion.
15. Why does Ryan believe Fergus Kilpatrick's murder was never solved?
(a) The murder occured in a different country.
(b) No one was at home with Kilpatrick.
(c) His body was cremated.
(d) The police purposely hid the identity of the killers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator ask the Englishman after dinner?
2. Who is Ryan?
3. What does Ryan publish?
4. What happens to John Vincent Moon during the Irish rebellion?
5. Why does Erik Lonnrot believe the third man in "Death and the Compass" was murdered?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)