|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Death and the Compass," why do the police believe the rabbi was murdered?
(a) As part of a hate crime.
(b) As part of a crime of passion.
(c) He offended a group of religious people.
(d) As part of a botched robbery.
2. In his anger, how does the Irishman injure John Vincent Moon?
(a) He burns Moon's hands.
(b) He whips Moon's back.
(c) He strikes Moon's broken leg.
(d) He slashes Moon in the face.
3. What happens to John Vincent Moon during the Irish rebellion?
(a) He is shot in the leg.
(b) He hides in a truck.
(c) He falls from the top of a building.
(d) He freezes during a battle.
4. What happens during Jaromir Hladik's execution?
(a) The executioners misfire.
(b) A sudden storm arises from the east.
(c) Time slows down.
(d) The bullets fall short of his body.
5. To what do scholars ascribe Nils Runeberg's odd beliefs?
(a) His insomnia.
(c) Mental illness.
(d) His upbringing.
6. Where does Fergus Kilpatrick die?
(a) In his bed.
(b) In England.
(c) In the theater.
(d) In a barn.
7. How is John Vincent Moon wounded?
(a) His chest is sliced by a bayonet.
(b) His shoulder is grazed by a bullet.
(c) Both legs are broken from a fall.
(d) He hits his head on a rock.
8. What nationality is Jaromir Hladik?
9. How does Nils Runeberg die?
(a) From a heart attack.
(b) From an aneurysm.
(c) In an automobile wreck.
(d) He is executed.
10. What type of play is Jaromir Hladik writing?
(a) A tragedy.
(b) A comedy.
(c) A farce.
(d) A drama.
11. When is "The Secret Miracle" set?
(a) During World War II.
(b) In the future.
(c) During World War I.
(d) In an undetermined time.
12. How does John Vincent Moon anger the Irishman?
(a) He turns the Irishman in to the authorities.
(b) He trades ammunition for food.
(c) He refuses to fight.
(d) He steals the Irishman's rations.
13. Who is the narrator visiting when he meets Ireneo Funes for the first time?
(a) His father.
(b) His sister.
(c) His cousin.
(d) A friend.
14. What do the members of the Sect of the Phoenix have in common?
(a) They all have a terminal illness.
(b) They have a secret.
(c) They are part of a coup.
(d) They are all brothers.
15. Who is allowed to be a part of the Sect of the Phoenix?
(a) Anyone and everyone.
(b) Anyone who can pass the exam.
(c) Only men.
(d) Men over the age of 60.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ireneo Funes suffer from insomnia?
2. What language is spoken in the Sect of the Phoenix?
3. Who is Fergus Kilpatrick?
4. How does Fergus Kilpatrick die?
5. In the story, "The End," who has the stranger killed previously?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)