|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Erik Lonnrot believe the rabbi was murdered?
(a) As part of a hate crime.
(b) As part of a botched robbery.
(c) He offended a group of religious people.
(d) As part of a crime of passion.
2. In the story, "The End," which character has lost a guitar duel?
(a) The black man.
(b) The stranger.
(c) The store owner.
(d) The store owner's son.
3. Where does Fergus Kilpatrick die?
(a) In the theater.
(b) In England.
(c) In his bed.
(d) In a barn.
4. In "Death and the Compass," what do the police receive in the mail after the third murder?
(a) A confession.
(b) A map.
(c) A lock of hair.
(d) A knife.
5. What does Jaromir Hladik ask God for in a prayer?
(a) Time to finish his play.
(b) To punish his captors.
(c) To make him famous.
(d) To spare his life.
6. What does the narrator ask the Englishman after dinner?
(a) Where he can find a telephone.
(b) How he received his scar.
(c) When he fought in the war.
(d) Why the room is so dark.
7. Why does the narrator have to leave his cousin's house?
(a) His sister is getting married.
(b) His father is dying.
(c) He must return to work.
(d) He has been called to active duty.
8. Who is Fergus Kilpatrick?
(a) An Irish rebel.
(b) The great-grandson of James Alexander Nolan.
(c) A friend of Ryan.
(d) An Englishman.
9. To what do scholars ascribe Nils Runeberg's odd beliefs?
(a) His insomnia.
(b) Mental illness.
(c) His upbringing.
10. What happens to John Vincent Moon during the Irish rebellion?
(a) He is shot in the leg.
(b) He hides in a truck.
(c) He falls from the top of a building.
(d) He freezes during a battle.
11. What is the Sect of the Phoenix?
(a) A temple.
(b) A secret organization.
(c) A Chamber of Commerce.
(d) A school.
12. In the story, "The End," why is the man in the back of the store lying down?
(a) He has just been shot.
(b) He just woke up.
(c) He is ill and unable to walk.
(d) He is tired.
13. Who is the narrator visiting when he meets Ireneo Funes for the first time?
(a) A friend.
(b) His cousin.
(c) His father.
(d) His sister.
14. What nationality is Jaromir Hladik?
15. Why does Ireneo Funes suffer from insomnia?
(a) His hyper-awareness prevents him from sleeping.
(b) He is in constant pain.
(c) He wants to live every moment.
(d) He is afraid of the approaching enemy.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what point of view is "Theme of the Traitor and Hero" written?
2. In "Death and the Compass," what structure is designed like a labyrinth?
3. Why are Nils Runeberg's theories controversial?
4. At what age does Ireneo Funes die?
5. To whom does Nils Runeberg compare Judas?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)