|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Erik Lonnrot believe the second man in "Death and the Compass" was murdered?
(a) As part of a hate crime.
(b) As part of a crime of passion.
(c) He offended a group of religious people.
(d) As part of a botched robbery.
2. Where does Jaromir Hladik live?
3. What do the narrator and Ireneo Funes discuss?
(a) His sister.
(b) Funes' paralysis.
(c) The war.
(d) Funes' hyper-awareness.
4. Why is Jaromir Hladik scheduled to be executed?
(a) Because of his writing.
(b) He murdered a soldier.
(c) Because he is Jewish.
(d) He is a spy.
5. Who is Ryan?
(a) The Taoiseach of Ireland.
(b) The great grandson of Fergus Kilpatrick.
(c) An Irish rebel.
(d) A friend of of Fergus Kilpatrick.
6. Who is allowed to be a part of the Sect of the Phoenix?
(a) Men over the age of 60.
(b) Anyone who can pass the exam.
(c) Anyone and everyone.
(d) Only men.
7. What language is spoken in the Sect of the Phoenix?
(d) All languages.
8. What conclusion does Ryan make about the murder of Fergus Kilpatrick?
(a) It was intentionally plotted to resemble Caesar's death.
(b) It never occured.
(c) It was designed to incite a rebellion.
(d) Kilpatrick committed suicide.
9. What talent does Ireneo Funes possess?
(a) He can create new languages.
(b) He memorizes encyclopedias.
(c) He always knows the correct time.
(d) He can recite the entire dictionary.
10. Why does Ireneo Funes feel that language is futile?
(a) There are not enough differing words to describe objects.
(b) No one knows how to converse anymore.
(c) People do not listen when others speak.
(d) It is too full of contradictions.
11. What does Ryan publish?
(a) A book.
(b) An ode.
(c) A play.
(d) A magazine article.
12. What is the name of Jaromir Hladik's unfinished play?
(a) The Truth.
(b) The Enemies.
(c) The Lie.
(d) The Secret Miracle.
13. Who is Jaromir Hladik?
(a) A watchmaker.
(b) A writer.
(c) A rabbi.
(d) A soldier.
14. What nationality is Jaromir Hladik?
15. In the story, "The End," who has the stranger killed previously?
(a) The store owner's son.
(b) The black man.
(c) The black man's brother.
(d) His brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the narrator have to leave his cousin's house?
2. To whom does Nils Runeberg compare Judas?
3. From what illness does Nils Runeberg suffer?
4. In the story, "The End," why is the man in the back of the store lying down?
5. Which American President is compared with Fergus Kilpatrick?
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)