|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the "secret miracle" that Jaromir Hladik experiences?
(a) He is able to pretend to be dead.
(b) During his execution, he is able to mentally finish his play.
(c) Lightning stirkes the executioners.
(d) The Allies arrive before the executioners can reload.
2. In the story, "The End," which character has lost a guitar duel?
(a) The store owner's son.
(b) The stranger.
(c) The black man.
(d) The store owner.
3. To what do scholars ascribe Nils Runeberg's odd beliefs?
(a) His insomnia.
(c) His upbringing.
(d) Mental illness.
4. From what point of view is "Funes, The Memorious" written?
(a) Second person.
(b) First person.
(c) Third person.
(d) Second person omniscient.
5. Why does Erik Lonnrot believe the rabbi was murdered?
(a) He offended a group of religious people.
(b) As part of a crime of passion.
(c) As part of a hate crime.
(d) As part of a botched robbery.
6. What happens to the Irishman at the end of "The Form of the Sword"?
(a) He is shot by Moon.
(b) He is killed in the rebellion.
(c) He is taken away by the authorities.
(d) He runs away to France.
7. What talent does Ireneo Funes possess?
(a) He memorizes encyclopedias.
(b) He can create new languages.
(c) He always knows the correct time.
(d) He can recite the entire dictionary.
8. At what age does Ireneo Funes die?
9. Why is Jaromir Hladik scheduled to be executed?
(a) He murdered a soldier.
(b) Because he is Jewish.
(c) Because of his writing.
(d) He is a spy.
10. Why does Ireneo Funes feel that language is futile?
(a) No one knows how to converse anymore.
(b) There are not enough differing words to describe objects.
(c) It is too full of contradictions.
(d) People do not listen when others speak.
11. What is the name of Jaromir Hladik's unfinished play?
(a) The Enemies.
(b) The Lie.
(c) The Truth.
(d) The Secret Miracle.
12. How does Nils Runeberg die?
(a) He is executed.
(b) From an aneurysm.
(c) From a heart attack.
(d) In an automobile wreck.
13. What conclusion does Ryan make about the murder of Fergus Kilpatrick?
(a) It was intentionally plotted to resemble Caesar's death.
(b) It never occured.
(c) It was designed to incite a rebellion.
(d) Kilpatrick committed suicide.
14. What does Jaromir Hladik ask God for in a prayer?
(a) To make him famous.
(b) Time to finish his play.
(c) To punish his captors.
(d) To spare his life.
15. Which character dies at the end of "The End"?
(a) The black man.
(b) The stranger.
(c) The store owner.
(d) The store owner's son.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does John Vincent Moon hide while the Irishman fights in the rebellion?
2. In the story, "The End," with whom does the stranger converse?
3. Why does Ryan believe Fergus Kilpatrick's murder was never solved?
4. Where does Jaromir Hladik live?
5. How does Fergus Kilpatrick die?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)