|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Death and the Compass," what does the reader learn about the clues found at the crime scenes?
(a) They were taken from the Vindications.
(b) They were a ruse to lure Lonnrot to his death.
(c) The victims were all murderers themselves.
(d) They were all part of an insurance scam.
2. Why does Erik Lonnrot believe the second man in "Death and the Compass" was murdered?
(a) As part of a hate crime.
(b) As part of a botched robbery.
(c) He offended a group of religious people.
(d) As part of a crime of passion.
3. Why does the narrator have to leave his cousin's house?
(a) He has been called to active duty.
(b) His father is dying.
(c) He must return to work.
(d) His sister is getting married.
4. In "Death and the Compass," what structure is designed like a labyrinth?
(a) A garden.
(b) A hotel.
(c) A house.
(d) A motel.
5. In "The Form of the Sword," when does the Irish rebellion take place?
(a) The late thirties.
(b) The early forties.
(c) The early twenties.
(d) The mid-sixties.
6. In "Death and the Compass," why do the police believe the rabbi was murdered?
(a) He offended a group of religious people.
(b) As part of a crime of passion.
(c) As part of a botched robbery.
(d) As part of a hate crime.
7. What does Jaromir Hladik hear in a dream?
(a) He will have the time to finish his play.
(b) He will live forever.
(c) He will change the world.
(d) The wind blowing his name.
8. In "Death and the Compass," how are Erik Lonnrot and the police alerted to the third murder?
(a) By email.
(b) By a phone call.
(c) By clues found at the second crime scene.
(d) By mail.
9. How does Fergus Kilpatrick die?
(a) He falls off the top of a building.
(b) He falls in a well.
(c) He is assassinated.
(d) He is murdered in his sleep.
10. Why is Jaromir Hladik scheduled to be executed?
(a) Because he is Jewish.
(b) Because of his writing.
(c) He is a spy.
(d) He murdered a soldier.
11. To whom does Nils Runeberg compare Judas?
12. How does Ireneo Funes become paralyzed?
(a) By falling out of a tree.
(b) By falling off a truck.
(c) By falling off a horse.
(d) By being struck by a truck.
13. How do the stranger and the black man resolve their differences?
(a) They go to court.
(b) The stranger pays the black man for his troubles.
(c) The store owner mediates an agreement.
(d) They duel.
14. From what illness does Nils Runeberg suffer?
15. What is the name of Jaromir Hladik's unfinished play?
(a) The Lie.
(b) The Truth.
(c) The Secret Miracle.
(d) The Enemies.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Ryan?
2. What happens to the Irishman at the end of "The Form of the Sword"?
3. What does Jaromir Hladik ask God for in a prayer?
4. Why does the narrator visit Ireneo Funes before returning home?
5. How is John Vincent Moon wounded?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)