|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Ireneo Funes feel that language is futile?
(a) There are not enough differing words to describe objects.
(b) No one knows how to converse anymore.
(c) People do not listen when others speak.
(d) It is too full of contradictions.
2. In the story, "The End," with whom does the stranger converse?
(a) The black man.
(b) The stranger.
(c) The store owner's son.
(d) The store owner.
3. Why does Erik Lonnrot believe the rabbi was murdered?
(a) As part of a crime of passion.
(b) As part of a hate crime.
(c) As part of a botched robbery.
(d) He offended a group of religious people.
4. What do the members of the Sect of the Phoenix call themselves?
(b) Men of the secret.
(c) The Company.
(d) Men of the fire.
5. In "Death and the Compass," what structure is designed like a labyrinth?
(a) A motel.
(b) A garden.
(c) A house.
(d) A hotel.
6. To whom does Nils Runeberg compare Judas?
7. What do the members of the Sect of the Phoenix have in common?
(a) They are part of a coup.
(b) They are all brothers.
(c) They have a secret.
(d) They all have a terminal illness.
8. From what point of view is "Funes, The Memorious" written?
(a) Second person omniscient.
(b) Third person.
(c) Second person.
(d) First person.
9. Why does Erik Lonnrot believe the second man in "Death and the Compass" was murdered?
(a) As part of a hate crime.
(b) He offended a group of religious people.
(c) As part of a crime of passion.
(d) As part of a botched robbery.
10. What happens to Jaromir Hladik at the end of "The Secret Miracle"?
(a) He escapes, but dies of typhus a few weeks later.
(b) He vanishes with the wind.
(c) He escapes.
(d) He is executed.
11. In "Death and the Compass," what do the police receive in the mail after the third murder?
(a) A lock of hair.
(b) A knife.
(c) A map.
(d) A confession.
12. To what do scholars ascribe Nils Runeberg's odd beliefs?
(a) His insomnia.
(b) His upbringing.
(d) Mental illness.
13. In the story, "The End," why is the man in the back of the store lying down?
(a) He is ill and unable to walk.
(b) He has just been shot.
(c) He is tired.
(d) He just woke up.
14. How does Fergus Kilpatrick die?
(a) He is murdered in his sleep.
(b) He falls in a well.
(c) He is assassinated.
(d) He falls off the top of a building.
15. In "Death and the Compass," what does the reader learn about the clues found at the crime scenes?
(a) They were taken from the Vindications.
(b) They were all part of an insurance scam.
(c) They were a ruse to lure Lonnrot to his death.
(d) The victims were all murderers themselves.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the Irishman rescue John Vincent Moon?
2. In the story, "The End," who has the stranger killed previously?
3. What talent does Ireneo Funes possess?
4. What does Ryan publish?
5. When is "The Secret Miracle" set?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)