|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Scharlach lead Erik Lonnrot to the location of the fourth murder?
(a) To turn in his deranged brother.
(b) The fourth victim is his brother.
(c) Out of guilt.
(d) To kill him for arresting his brother.
2. In "Death and the Compass," why do the police believe the rabbi was murdered?
(a) As part of a botched robbery.
(b) As part of a crime of passion.
(c) He offended a group of religious people.
(d) As part of a hate crime.
3. Who is Ryan?
(a) The great grandson of Fergus Kilpatrick.
(b) The Taoiseach of Ireland.
(c) A friend of of Fergus Kilpatrick.
(d) An Irish rebel.
4. What language is spoken in the Sect of the Phoenix?
(d) All languages.
5. What do the members of the Sect of the Phoenix call themselves?
(b) Men of the secret.
(c) The Company.
(d) Men of the fire.
6. Who is Fergus Kilpatrick?
(a) An Englishman.
(b) The great-grandson of James Alexander Nolan.
(c) An Irish rebel.
(d) A friend of Ryan.
7. What does Jaromir Hladik ask God for in a prayer?
(a) To spare his life.
(b) To make him famous.
(c) Time to finish his play.
(d) To punish his captors.
8. What do the members of the Sect of the Phoenix have in common?
(a) They are part of a coup.
(b) They all have a terminal illness.
(c) They have a secret.
(d) They are all brothers.
9. How do the stranger and the black man resolve their differences?
(a) They go to court.
(b) They duel.
(c) The store owner mediates an agreement.
(d) The stranger pays the black man for his troubles.
10. At what age does Ireneo Funes die?
11. From what point of view is "Funes, The Memorious" written?
(a) Second person.
(b) First person.
(c) Second person omniscient.
(d) Third person.
12. In "Death and the Compass," what do the police find at each crime scene?
(a) A letter to a printing company.
(b) A red rose.
(c) A knife.
(d) Letters for a specific name for God.
13. How does John Vincent Moon anger the Irishman?
(a) He steals the Irishman's rations.
(b) He turns the Irishman in to the authorities.
(c) He refuses to fight.
(d) He trades ammunition for food.
14. In "Death and the Compass," what does the reader learn about the clues found at the crime scenes?
(a) They were all part of an insurance scam.
(b) They were a ruse to lure Lonnrot to his death.
(c) The victims were all murderers themselves.
(d) They were taken from the Vindications.
15. How long does John Vincent Moon hide while the Irishman fights in the rebellion?
(a) A year.
(b) Three days.
(c) A week.
(d) A month.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Nils Runeberg compare Judas?
2. Who is Nils Runeberg?
3. Why does Erik Lonnrot believe the second man in "Death and the Compass" was murdered?
4. Why does Ryan believe Fergus Kilpatrick's murder was never solved?
5. How does Ireneo Funes die?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)