|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which Menard manuscript describes the possibility of a new vocabulary?
(a) A magazine.
(b) A sonnet.
(c) A script for Don Quixote.
(d) A monograph.
2. Why do some lottery players protest the rules of the lottery?
(a) They need food to live.
(b) They do not want to wait long for the next drawing.
(c) They feel only the rich can win.
(d) They feel the lottery is taking over their city.
3. Who is Dr. Yu Tsun?
(a) A statesman.
(b) A professor.
(c) A soldier.
(d) A spy.
4. In "The Approach to Al-Mu'tasim," who does the student speak with on top of the tower?
(a) A lawyer.
(b) A robber.
(d) An eagle.
5. What do the stories in April March share?
(a) The protagonist.
(b) The first chapter.
(c) The last chapter.
(d) The antagonist.
6. What power does the Company have over lottery players?
(c) Life and death.
7. Who is Herbert Ashe?
(a) A famous author.
(b) The narrator.
(c) An acquaintance of the narrator's family.
(d) A manufacturer of mirrors.
8. What is exchanged for bits of bone or decorated parchment in "The Babylon Lottery"?
9. Why are some lottery players imprisoned?
(a) They murder the winners.
(b) They steal tickets.
(c) They refuse to pay a fine.
(d) They refuse to buy tickets.
10. What does the narrator believe will eventually happen to the planet on which he lives?
(a) It will begin to look like Tertius.
(b) It will merge with Uqbar.
(c) It will be taken over by Tlon.
(d) It will be destroyed by time.
11. What do the Purifiers burn?
(b) The library.
(c) Library cards.
(d) Inappropriate books.
12. Who is Al-Mu'tasim?
(a) A Hindu prophet.
(b) A blind astrologer.
(c) A kind Persian bookseller.
(d) The student's father.
13. Who are the Purifiers?
(a) A group of authors.
(b) Guardians of the Crimson Hexagon.
(c) A group that destroys inappropriate books.
(d) No one knows.
14. Who is the narrator in "An Examination of the Work of Herbert Quain"?
15. In "Tlon, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius", what country are the characters searching for in the The Anglo-American Encyclopedia?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the protagonist of "The Circular Ruins" learn about himself?
2. From what point of view is "The Babylon Lottery" written?
3. To whom does the protagonist in "The Circular Ruins" pray?
4. What is the name of the god of the temple in "The Circular Ruins"?
5. What is the Company?
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)