|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Al-Mu'tasim?
(a) The student's father.
(b) A kind Persian bookseller.
(c) A Hindu prophet.
(d) A blind astrologer.
2. Why is Herbert Quain mentioned in the newspaper?
(a) He has written an article about mirrors.
(b) He has died.
(c) He has been arrested.
(d) He is being honored for his work.
3. From what point of view is "The Garden of Forking Paths" written?
(a) Third person.
(b) Second person omniscient.
(c) Second person.
(d) First person.
4. Who approaches Dr. Stephen Albert's house while he and Dr. Yu Tsun are conversing?
(a) Ts'ui Pen.
(c) British soldiers.
(d) Richard Madden.
5. What does the narrator think of Pierre Menard's rewrite?
(a) It is the work of an amateur.
(b) It has more passion than the original.
(c) It is illegal and immoral.
(d) It is trite and meaningless.
6. In "The Approach of Al-Mu'tasim," which character writes a detective novel?
(a) A blind astrologer.
(b) A student.
(c) A lawyer.
(d) A robber.
7. What fear does the protagonist of "The Circular Ruins" have for his son?
(a) He will die in a fire.
(b) He will disappear.
(c) He will discover he is the product of a dream.
(d) The gods will steal him.
8. Which chess pieces are discussed in Menard's chess article?
(a) The rook's pawns.
(b) The knights.
(c) The queens.
(d) The bishop's pawns.
9. Which great literary work does Pierre Menard rewrite?
(a) Don Quixote.
(b) A Farewell to Arms.
(c) A Tale of Two Cities.
(d) Moby Dick.
10. Who does Dr. Yu Tsun shoot?
(a) Dr. Stephen Albert.
(b) Richard Madden.
(c) Ts'ui Pen.
11. With which country is Dr. Yu Tsun allied?
(a) North Korea.
(b) South Vietnam.
12. Who is the narrator of "The Babylon Lottery"?
(a) A member of the Company.
(b) A visitor to the land.
(c) The leader of the Company.
(d) A lottery player.
13. What does the god of the temple promise the protagonist of "The Circular Ruins"?
(a) To bring his son to life.
(b) To keep his son safe.
(c) To bring his daughter to life.
(d) To create a sunrise.
14. Who examines Pierre Menard's manuscripts?
(a) Don Quixote.
(b) The narrator.
(c) Miguel de Cervantes.
(d) Edgar Allen Poe.
15. What do the Purifiers burn?
(a) Library cards.
(c) The library.
(d) Inappropriate books.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Circular Ruins", how does the protagonist travel to the ruins?
2. Who is Richard Madden?
3. What body organ begins a dream of the protagonist in "The Circular Ruins"?
4. What happens to Herbert Ashe in "Tlon, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius"?
5. What happens when the protagonist of "The Circular Ruins" steps into the burning ruins?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)