|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Al-Mu'tasim?
(a) A blind astrologer.
(b) A Hindu prophet.
(c) A kind Persian bookseller.
(d) The student's father.
2. What does the narrator believe will eventually happen to the planet on which he lives?
(a) It will merge with Uqbar.
(b) It will begin to look like Tertius.
(c) It will be taken over by Tlon.
(d) It will be destroyed by time.
3. What body organ begins a dream of the protagonist in "The Circular Ruins"?
(a) An eye.
(b) A heart.
(c) A hand.
(d) An ear.
4. In "The Approach to Al-Mu'tasim," where does the student go after he leaves Indapur?
5. Who is Dr. Yu Tsun?
(a) A statesman.
(b) A soldier.
(c) A spy.
(d) A professor.
6. In "The Babylon Lottery," which characters first sponsor the lottery?
7. What is unique about the objects from Tlon that are released into the narrator's world?
(a) They melt after a few days.
(b) They do not reflect images.
(c) They are cold.
(d) They are real objects from an imaginary world.
8. Who is Ts'ui Pen?
(a) An instructor for the VAF.
(b) An ancestor of Dr.Yu Tsun.
(c) A peddler.
(d) The man who wants to arrest Dr.Yu Tsun.
9. How is the lottery unusual?
(a) There are adverse outcomes for some players.
(b) A new drawing after the death of the previous lottery winner.
(c) Winners are sent into exile.
(d) People trade food for lottery tickets.
10. What does Ts'ui Pen wish to create before his death?
(a) An epic poem.
(b) A great labyrinth.
(c) A legacy.
(d) A great sculpture.
11. What does the protagonist of "The Circular Ruins" learn about himself?
(a) He does not like people.
(b) He is the product of a dream.
(c) He is alone.
(d) He is insane.
12. What do the Purifiers burn?
(a) Library cards.
(b) Inappropriate books.
(d) The library.
13. What is April March?
(a) A magazine article.
(b) A satirical play.
(c) A novel.
(d) A short story.
14. What is the Company?
(a) The bank.
(b) The merchant's guild.
(c) The lottery players.
(d) The group that runs the lottery.
15. How many books does the library of Babel contain?
(a) A million.
(b) All of them.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Tlon, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius", from what source does one of the men quote?
2. How is the universe described in "The Library of Babel"?
3. What is The God of the Labyrinth?
4. From what point of view is "The Babylon Lottery" written?
5. What power does the Company have over lottery players?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)