|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part One, The Garden of Forking Paths, An Examination of the Work of Herbert Quain.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the protagonist of "The Circular Ruins" dream of doing?
2. In "Tlon, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius", what is unique about the description of the country in the The Anglo-American Encyclopedia?
(a) It exists on only one copy of the encyclopedia.
(b) It exists on two worlds.
(c) The laws of nature have been reversed.
(d) Mirrors there do not reflect images.
3. From what point of view is "An Examination of the Work of Herbert Quain" written?
(a) Second person.
(b) Third person.
(c) First person.
(d) Second person omniscient.
4. Which Menard manuscript describes the possibility of a new vocabulary?
(a) A magazine.
(b) A sonnet.
(c) A script for Don Quixote.
(d) A monograph.
5. What does the narrator believe will eventually happen to the planet on which he lives?
(a) It will be destroyed by time.
(b) It will merge with Uqbar.
(c) It will begin to look like Tertius.
(d) It will be taken over by Tlon.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does the protagonist in "The Circular Ruins" pray?
2. What fear does the protagonist of "The Circular Ruins" have for his son?
3. From what point of view is "The Circular Ruins" written?
4. What is exchanged for bits of bone or decorated parchment in "The Babylon Lottery"?
5. What body organ begins a dream of the protagonist in "The Circular Ruins"?
This section contains 262 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)