Part One, The Garden of Forking Paths, Tlon, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius
• A group of friends is discussing mirrors when someone mentions a quote about the country of Uqbar.
• The group searches for the reference to Uqbar in the encyclopedia, but cannot find it.
• The man who made reference to Uqbar brings his encyclopedia to his friends to prove the reference.
• The narrator is baffled by the discrepancies in the two supposedly identical encyclopedias.
• After the death of family friend, Herbert Ashe, the narrator discovers "The First Encyclopedia of Tlon" among Ashe's belongings.
• The narrator reads about the land of Tlon, discovering the unusual philosophies of its inhabitants.
• The narrator learns that Uqbar and Tlon are the invention of a group who the intended to create a pretend country, and then a pretend planet.
• Fictional objects from Tlon become real in the narrator's world.
• The narrator believes that his...
This section contains 1,956 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)