|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elza tell Mattie about Mrs. Cook?
2. Why is Grandfather unable to hang his sword above the fireplace?
3. What is Mattie given at the market?
4. How does Mattie hurt her foot?
5. Who are Robert and William?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At times throughout the novel Mattie and Eliza depend on one another. Look back through the novel and:
1) Describe how their relationship evolves.
2) Discuss the impact that their relationship has at each point in the novel.
Use specific examples from the text to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
In FEVER, 1793 the author presents viewpoints on the themes of fear and perseverance vs. hope.
1) Describe the viewpoints presented on each of these themes.
2) Describe the characters presenting each of these themes.
3) Discuss the role that each of this conflict plays in the novel. Then discuss which the author thinks is more powerful.
Support your ideas with specific examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Mattie grows and changes as a character as the novel progresses. At the same time, she holds to a core set of values. Compare and contrast Mattie at several different stages in her development. Be sure to cite examples from the text to support your ideas.
This section contains 1,338 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)