|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mattie react when she is reunited with Eliza?
2. To whom is Mattie referring when she says, "Here is a familiar face,"?
3. What does Mattie decide she needs at the beginning of Chapter 18?
4. Who has come into the coffeehouse?
5. Who does Mattie plan to visit on Sunday?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 18 what does Mattie daydream about?
2. Why does Mother Smith suggest that Mattie is doing more harm than good to Nell?
3. Why did some people wait until George Washington returned to come back to the city?
4. Why is the Sharp home destroyed inside?
5. Does Yellow Fever still exist and if so where?
6. What does Mattie find when she goes to the market?
7. How does Mattie get rid of the robbers?
8. What is Eliza's reaction when she sees Mattie?
9. What does the short excerpt at the beginning of the chapter foreshadow?
10. Why does Grandfather allow Mattie to order him to bed when they reach the coffeehouse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Setting is important to the plot in this novel. Select three of the settings in the novel and:
1) Describe the setting in detail.
2) Discuss how it influence the plot and character development. Be sure to cite several examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
One of the themes FEVER, 1793 addresses is perseverance. Discuss what the novel has to say about this theme. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas. Do you believe that the novel does a good job of expounding on this theme? Defend your answer.
Essay Topic 3
There are several characters who influence the person that Mattie becomes. Select the two characters who you believe have the greatest impact on her development and:
1) Describe each character's actions or beliefs as they relate to Mattie.
2) Discuss the impact of this character on Mattie's life and personality.
3) Discuss why you selected each particular character. What about each character made him/her more of an influence on Mattie than others?
Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)