|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people does Mr.Brown tell Mattie have died?
2. Who comes back to town because of the frost?
3. Who is the second person to wake up at the coffeehouse?
4. What treatment did the doctor prescribe for Mrs. Cook?
5. What does Mattie say her mother felt like?
Essay Topic 1
In FEVER, 1793, a few minor characters have a major impact on the story line. Select one of the following minor characters to analyze: Mrs. Cook, Joseph, Nathaniel Benson, Nell, Mother Smith. Discuss:
1) The personality (character traits) of this character.
2) The relationship between this minor character and the major characters in the story.
3) The impact of this character on the story line--How does s/he influence the overall story line? How would the story be different if this character was removed?
Essay Topic 2
Mattie grows and changes as a character as the novel progresses. At the same time, she holds to a core set of values. Compare and contrast Mattie at several different stages in her development. Be sure to cite examples from the text to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
One of the themes FEVER, 1793 addresses is motivation. Discuss what the novel has to say about this theme. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas. Do you believe that the novel does a good job of expounding on this theme? Defend your answer.
This section contains 1,254 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)