|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Mattie dreaming about at the beginning of Chapter 19?
2. What does Nell want from Eliza?
3. What does the messenger bring?
4. What percent of Philadelphia's population was killed by the Yellow Fever epidemic?
5. Where does Mattie fall asleep?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mattie find when she goes to the market?
2. Why does Eliza move the furniture outside?
3. Does Yellow Fever still exist and if so where?
4. Why does Mattie say that it is more difficult to care for children?
5. What is Eliza's reaction when she sees Mattie?
6. How did the Ludingtons try to find Mattie?
7. What happens when Grandfather comes downstairs?
8. Why will Mattie and Eliza have to go through lawyers in order to be partners?
9. What is Mattie and Nell's relationship at this point?
10. Why did Mattie's mother take a horse from the Ludingtons' farm and ride off?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In FEVER, 1793 the author presents viewpoints on the themes of fear and perseverance vs. hope.
1) Describe the viewpoints presented on each of these themes.
2) Describe the characters presenting each of these themes.
3) Discuss the role that each of this conflict plays in the novel. Then discuss which the author thinks is more powerful.
Support your ideas with specific examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
One of the topics that FEVER, 1793 addresses is the contrast between how the city was before the epidemic and how the city is after the epidemic. In your essay:
1) Describe the city before the epidemic.
2) Describe the city after the epidemic.
3) Analyze the similarities and differences between these two periods.
Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
At times throughout the novel Mattie and Eliza depend on one another. Look back through the novel and:
1) Describe how their relationship evolves.
2) Discuss the impact that their relationship has at each point in the novel.
Use specific examples from the text to support your ideas.
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)