|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the second person to wake up at the coffeehouse?
2. How regularly did Mattie bathe before the fever?
3. What does Mattie ask Mr. Brown to do?
4. What is the one thing Mattie says Mother Smith does well?
5. What does Mattie find in the garden that makes her dance?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Grandfather comes downstairs?
2. Why is the Sharp home destroyed inside?
3. Why will Mattie and Eliza have to go through lawyers in order to be partners?
4. When Mattie goes to Simon's house what is she looking for and what does she find?
5. What type of information does Mr. Brown say that he is now reporting in his newspaper?
6. Why does Mattie feel like a traitor when she is walking Nell to the orphan house?
7. What is Eliza's reaction when she sees Mattie?
8. Why does Mattie tell Eliza all of the details about what she has been through?
9. Find two examples of how people showed fear and panic during the epidemic.
10. Why does Mattie tell Eliza that the children should not be bled?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several characters who influence the person that Mattie becomes. Select the two characters who you believe have the greatest impact on her development and:
1) Describe each character's actions or beliefs as they relate to Mattie.
2) Discuss the impact of this character on Mattie's life and personality.
3) Discuss why you selected each particular character. What about each character made him/her more of an influence on Mattie than others?
Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
One of the themes FEVER, 1793 addresses is motivation. Discuss what the novel has to say about this theme. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas. Do you believe that the novel does a good job of expounding on this theme? Defend your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Friendship is an important topic in this novel.
1) Describe the different ways friendship is presented in the book in detail
2) Then discuss the message the author is trying to make about friendships. In other words, what is her view of friendships? What does she think is important in a friendship? What does she do to show the reader this is her belief?
Be sure to cite specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)