|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mattie help the man pushing the cart?
2. What does Eliza see when she looks at the boy's eyes?
3. Who comes back to town because of the frost?
4. What is Grandfather's contribution to dinner?
5. What does Mattie find in the garden that makes her dance?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why will Mattie and Eliza have to go through lawyers in order to be partners?
2. Why does Mattie tell Eliza that the children should not be bled?
3. What happens when Grandfather comes downstairs?
4. Why does Mattie promise her mother that she will not wear her clothes.
5. Why does Mattie feel like a traitor when she is walking Nell to the orphan house?
6. What does Mattie find when she goes to the market?
7. Why did some people wait until George Washington returned to come back to the city?
8. How does Mattie get rid of the robbers?
9. Why did Mattie's mother take a horse from the Ludingtons' farm and ride off?
10. Does Yellow Fever still exist and if so where?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The coffee shop is an important setting in the novel. Discuss the significance of this setting focusing on its impact on plot and character development. Then discuss how the story would be different if the story were set elsewhere. Be sure to cite several examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Mattie and her mother's relationship develops and their bond is strengthened through absence.
1) Describe their relationship at several points in the novel.
2) Explain how their relationship changes.
3) Analyze why this change happens. What causes it to happen?
Use evidence from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 26 Mattie states, "Yellow Fever had certainly done away with vanity." What do you think she means by this statement? How would you have reacted if your "vanity" was taken away by disease? Why?
Be sure to cite specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)