|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is in charge when Eliza is away?
2. What is Mattie given at the market?
3. Who is Jean Pierre Blanchard?
4. What does Mattie do for clean clothes?
5. How does Mattie react when she is reunited with Eliza?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mattie and Nell's relationship at this point?
2. Why does Mattie promise her mother that she will not wear her clothes.
3. How does Mattie get rid of the robbers?
4. Why is the Sharp home destroyed inside?
5. What does Mattie find when she goes to the market?
6. What does Eliza suggest that Mattie and Nell should do until the epidemic is over?
7. Does Yellow Fever still exist and if so where?
8. Why does Mother Smith suggest that Mattie is doing more harm than good to Nell?
9. Why did some people wait until George Washington returned to come back to the city?
10. Find two examples of how people showed fear and panic during the epidemic.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 26 Mattie states, "Yellow Fever had certainly done away with vanity." What do you think she means by this statement? How would you have reacted if your "vanity" was taken away by disease? Why?
Be sure to cite specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
One of the themes FEVER, 1793 addresses is fear. Discuss what the novel has to say about this theme. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas. Do you believe that the novel does a good job of expounding on this theme? Defend your answer.
Essay Topic 3
In FEVER, 1793, a few minor characters have a major impact on the story line. Select one of the following minor characters to analyze: Mrs. Cook, Joseph, Nathaniel Benson, Nell, Mother Smith. Discuss:
1) The personality (character traits) of this character.
2) The relationship between this minor character and the major characters in the story.
3) The impact of this character on the story line--How does s/he influence the overall story line? How would the story be different if this character was removed?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)