|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mattie react when she is reunited with Eliza?
2. What does Mattie find in the garden that makes her dance?
3. When will she start her plan for the future?
4. What is most difficult for Mattie about helping Eliza?
5. What does Elza tell Mattie about Mrs. Cook?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mattie and Nell's relationship at this point?
2. Why will Mattie and Eliza have to go through lawyers in order to be partners?
3. Why does Grandfather allow Mattie to order him to bed when they reach the coffeehouse?
4. What does Eliza suggest that Mattie and Nell should do until the epidemic is over?
5. Why does Mother Smith suggest that Mattie is doing more harm than good to Nell?
6. At the end of Chapter 18 what does Mattie daydream about?
7. When does Mattie feel that there are ghosts nearby?
8. What does Mattie find when she goes to the market?
9. Why does Mattie promise her mother that she will not wear her clothes.
10. When Mattie goes to Simon's house what is she looking for and what does she find?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the first chapter and the epilogue. There are many similarities and differences between these two chapters. Compare and contrast these two chapters paying particular attention to the main characters. Be sure to cite specific examples to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
At times throughout the novel Mattie and Eliza depend on one another. Look back through the novel and:
1) Describe how their relationship evolves.
2) Discuss the impact that their relationship has at each point in the novel.
Use specific examples from the text to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
One of the topics that FEVER, 1793 addresses is the contrast between how the city was before the epidemic and how the city is after the epidemic. In your essay:
1) Describe the city before the epidemic.
2) Describe the city after the epidemic.
3) Analyze the similarities and differences between these two periods.
Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)