|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Eliza tell Mattie that she should eat slowly?
2. Who is the second person to wake up at the coffeehouse?
3. How does Mattie keep the children out of the kitchen when she and Eliza are cooking?
4. Who are Robert and William?
5. How does Mattie keep the children quiet in the morning?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are people who left the city acting differently from those who stayed in the city?
2. What happens when Grandfather comes downstairs?
3. What type of information does Mr. Brown say that he is now reporting in his newspaper?
4. What does Mattie find when she goes to the market?
5. Why does Mattie feel like a traitor when she is walking Nell to the orphan house?
6. Why does Mattie tell Eliza all of the details about what she has been through?
7. What is Eliza's reaction when she sees Mattie?
8. Why did Mattie's mother take a horse from the Ludingtons' farm and ride off?
9. Why does Mattie say that it is more difficult to care for children?
10. Why did some people wait until George Washington returned to come back to the city?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Setting is important to the plot in this novel. Select three of the settings in the novel and:
1) Describe the setting in detail.
2) Discuss how it influence the plot and character development. Be sure to cite several examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Mattie grows and changes as a character as the novel progresses. At the same time, she holds to a core set of values. Compare and contrast Mattie at several different stages in her development. Be sure to cite examples from the text to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
In FEVER, 1793, a few minor characters have a major impact on the story line. Select one of the following minor characters to analyze: Mrs. Cook, Joseph, Nathaniel Benson, Nell, Mother Smith. Discuss:
1) The personality (character traits) of this character.
2) The relationship between this minor character and the major characters in the story.
3) The impact of this character on the story line--How does s/he influence the overall story line? How would the story be different if this character was removed?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)