|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Mattie dreaming about at the beginning of Chapter 19?
2. When will she start her plan for the future?
3. Why does Eliza tell Mattie that she should eat slowly?
4. Who sends Mattie, Eliza, and the children a lot of food?
5. How does Mattie keep the children quiet in the morning?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of information does Mr. Brown say that he is now reporting in his newspaper?
2. What is Mattie and Nell's relationship at this point?
3. Why does Mattie feel her mother would be proud of her?
4. Why does Grandfather allow Mattie to order him to bed when they reach the coffeehouse?
5. Why did some people wait until George Washington returned to come back to the city?
6. What does Eliza suggest that Mattie and Nell should do until the epidemic is over?
7. Why does Eliza move the furniture outside?
8. Why can the children not stay at the cooperage?
9. Why did Mattie's mother take a horse from the Ludingtons' farm and ride off?
10. What happens when Grandfather comes downstairs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
FEVER, 1793 presents and comments on death and disease.
1) Discuss how each of these ideas is presented in the novel.
2) Then examine the author's view on the topics. What commentary do you think she is trying to make about death and disease? Why?
Be sure to support your ideas with evidence from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Mattie goes through several rites of passage in this novel. In your essay:
1) Describe at least two events that help usher her into adulthood.
2) Then discuss how these events help make her a "woman".
Be sure to cite several examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
There are several characters who influence the person that Mattie becomes. Select the two characters who you believe have the greatest impact on her development and:
1) Describe each character's actions or beliefs as they relate to Mattie.
2) Discuss the impact of this character on Mattie's life and personality.
3) Discuss why you selected each particular character. What about each character made him/her more of an influence on Mattie than others?
Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)