|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was the Free African Society founded?
2. What does Elza tell Mattie about Mrs. Cook?
3. Who comes back to town exciting all the customers?
4. Who is the second person to wake up at the coffeehouse?
5. What do medical experts believe about Dr.Rush's treatments of the Yellow Fever patients?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mattie and Nell's relationship at this point?
2. At the end of Chapter 18 what does Mattie daydream about?
3. How does Mattie get rid of the robbers?
4. When does Mattie feel that there are ghosts nearby?
5. What type of information does Mr. Brown say that he is now reporting in his newspaper?
6. What does Mattie find when she goes to the market?
7. Why will Mattie and Eliza have to go through lawyers in order to be partners?
8. Why does Grandfather allow Mattie to order him to bed when they reach the coffeehouse?
9. What does Mattie give thanks for at the end of Chapter 17?
10. Why does Mattie say that it is more difficult to care for children?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Philadelphia is an important setting in the novel. Discuss the significance of this setting focusing on its impact on plot and character development. Then discuss how the story would be different if the story were set elsewhere. Be sure to cite several examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
One of the themes FEVER, 1793 addresses is perseverance. Discuss what the novel has to say about this theme. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas. Do you believe that the novel does a good job of expounding on this theme? Defend your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Mattie's mother and grandfather have a strong influence on her. Describe at least three ways that Mattie's family influences her development then discuss and analyze the impact these have on her. Is she better or worse for these influences? Why? Be sure to cite several examples from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)