|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom is Mattie referring when she says, "Here is a familiar face,"?
2. Who is Jean Pierre Blanchard?
3. Who else returns at the end of Chapter 28?
4. Who does Mattie walk home with?
5. What is Mattie given at the market?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mattie get rid of the robbers?
2. Why does Mattie say that it is more difficult to care for children?
3. Why can the children not stay at the cooperage?
4. What does Eliza suggest that Mattie and Nell should do until the epidemic is over?
5. What does the short excerpt at the beginning of the chapter foreshadow?
6. When Mattie goes to Simon's house what is she looking for and what does she find?
7. How did the Ludingtons try to find Mattie?
8. What is Eliza's reaction when she sees Mattie?
9. When does Mattie feel that there are ghosts nearby?
10. Why will Mattie and Eliza have to go through lawyers in order to be partners?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several characters who influence the person that Mattie becomes. Select the two characters who you believe have the greatest impact on her development and:
1) Describe each character's actions or beliefs as they relate to Mattie.
2) Discuss the impact of this character on Mattie's life and personality.
3) Discuss why you selected each particular character. What about each character made him/her more of an influence on Mattie than others?
Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Eliza and Mrs. Cook. In your essay:
1) Describe Eliza (focus on her physical appearance as well as her personality).
2) Describe Mrs. Cook focus on her physical appearance as well as her personality).
3) Analyze their similarities and differences.
Use specific examples from the text to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Friendship is an important topic in this novel.
1) Describe the different ways friendship is presented in the book in detail
2) Then discuss the message the author is trying to make about friendships. In other words, what is her view of friendships? What does she think is important in a friendship? What does she do to show the reader this is her belief?
Be sure to cite specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)