|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Nell sleep?
2. What does Mattie demand from the gravediggers?
3. How does Mattie keep the children quiet in the morning?
4. What is Grandfather's contribution to dinner?
5. What does Mattie do for clean clothes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the Sharp home destroyed inside?
2. What does Mattie find when she goes to the market?
3. Find two examples of how people showed fear and panic during the epidemic.
4. What is Eliza's reaction when she sees Mattie?
5. Why can the children not stay at the cooperage?
6. Why does Mattie promise her mother that she will not wear her clothes.
7. What happens when Grandfather comes downstairs?
8. How does Mattie get rid of the robbers?
9. How are people who left the city acting differently from those who stayed in the city?
10. Why does Eliza move the furniture outside?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mattie grows and changes as a character as the novel progresses. At the same time, she holds to a core set of values. Compare and contrast Mattie at several different stages in her development. Be sure to cite examples from the text to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
One of the themes FEVER, 1793 addresses is motivation. Discuss what the novel has to say about this theme. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas. Do you believe that the novel does a good job of expounding on this theme? Defend your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Philadelphia is an important setting in the novel. Discuss the significance of this setting focusing on its impact on plot and character development. Then discuss how the story would be different if the story were set elsewhere. Be sure to cite several examples from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)