|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mattie find at the end of Chapter 20?
2. What do Grandfather and Mattie find when they walk into the coffeehouse?
3. What is most difficult for Mattie about helping Eliza?
4. Where does Eliza go in the morning?
5. What does Mattie decide she needs at the beginning of Chapter 18?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the Sharp home destroyed inside?
2. How did the Ludingtons try to find Mattie?
3. What does Mattie find when she goes to the market?
4. Why does Mattie say that it is more difficult to care for children?
5. What happens when Grandfather comes downstairs?
6. Why did Mattie's mother take a horse from the Ludingtons' farm and ride off?
7. Why does Mattie promise her mother that she will not wear her clothes.
8. Why does Mother Smith suggest that Mattie is doing more harm than good to Nell?
9. What is Mattie and Nell's relationship at this point?
10. Does Yellow Fever still exist and if so where?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mattie and her mother's relationship develops and their bond is strengthened through absence.
1) Describe their relationship at several points in the novel.
2) Explain how their relationship changes.
3) Analyze why this change happens. What causes it to happen?
Use evidence from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
FEVER, 1793 presents and comments on death and disease.
1) Discuss how each of these ideas is presented in the novel.
2) Then examine the author's view on the topics. What commentary do you think she is trying to make about death and disease? Why?
Be sure to support your ideas with evidence from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
One of the themes FEVER, 1793 addresses is fear. Discuss what the novel has to say about this theme. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas. Do you believe that the novel does a good job of expounding on this theme? Defend your answer.
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)