|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is in charge when Eliza is away?
2. When is Mattie's favorite time to take a walk with Nathaniel?
3. What is the significance of Washington Square?
4. Who is the first person up at the coffeehouse?
5. What errand do the boys run?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mattie feel her mother would be proud of her?
2. Why will Mattie and Eliza have to go through lawyers in order to be partners?
3. Why can the children not stay at the cooperage?
4. What happens when Grandfather comes downstairs?
5. What is Mattie and Nell's relationship at this point?
6. What does the short excerpt at the beginning of the chapter foreshadow?
7. When Mattie goes to Simon's house what is she looking for and what does she find?
8. Why is the Sharp home destroyed inside?
9. What type of information does Mr. Brown say that he is now reporting in his newspaper?
10. Why did some people wait until George Washington returned to come back to the city?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several characters who influence the person that Mattie becomes. Select the two characters who you believe have the greatest impact on her development and:
1) Describe each character's actions or beliefs as they relate to Mattie.
2) Discuss the impact of this character on Mattie's life and personality.
3) Discuss why you selected each particular character. What about each character made him/her more of an influence on Mattie than others?
Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Eliza and Mrs. Cook. In your essay:
1) Describe Eliza (focus on her physical appearance as well as her personality).
2) Describe Mrs. Cook focus on her physical appearance as well as her personality).
3) Analyze their similarities and differences.
Use specific examples from the text to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
FEVER, 1793 presents and comments on death and disease.
1) Discuss how each of these ideas is presented in the novel.
2) Then examine the author's view on the topics. What commentary do you think she is trying to make about death and disease? Why?
Be sure to support your ideas with evidence from the novel.
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)