|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do medical experts believe about Dr.Rush's treatments of the Yellow Fever patients?
2. What percent of Philadelphia's population was killed by the Yellow Fever epidemic?
3. When was the Free African Society founded?
4. To whom is Mattie referring when she says, "Here is a familiar face,"?
5. What is proving to be a good way to get more customers to spend more money?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mattie feel like a traitor when she is walking Nell to the orphan house?
2. Find two examples of how people showed fear and panic during the epidemic.
3. Why does Eliza move the furniture outside?
4. When does Mattie feel that there are ghosts nearby?
5. How are people who left the city acting differently from those who stayed in the city?
6. At the end of Chapter 18 what does Mattie daydream about?
7. What does Mattie find when she goes to the market?
8. Why is the Sharp home destroyed inside?
9. What does the short excerpt at the beginning of the chapter foreshadow?
10. Why does Mattie tell Eliza all of the details about what she has been through?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The coffee shop is an important setting in the novel. Discuss the significance of this setting focusing on its impact on plot and character development. Then discuss how the story would be different if the story were set elsewhere. Be sure to cite several examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
FEVER, 1793 presents and comments on death and disease.
1) Discuss how each of these ideas is presented in the novel.
2) Then examine the author's view on the topics. What commentary do you think she is trying to make about death and disease? Why?
Be sure to support your ideas with evidence from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Setting is important to the plot in this novel. Select three of the settings in the novel and:
1) Describe the setting in detail.
2) Discuss how it influence the plot and character development. Be sure to cite several examples from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)