|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes back to town exciting all the customers?
2. Where do Mattie and Eliza place the mattress?
3. What wakes Mattie?
4. What is the one thing Mattie says Mother Smith does well?
5. Who does Mattie walk home with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mattie give thanks for at the end of Chapter 17?
2. At the end of Chapter 18 what does Mattie daydream about?
3. Why can the children not stay at the cooperage?
4. Why does Mattie say that it is more difficult to care for children?
5. What does Eliza suggest that Mattie and Nell should do until the epidemic is over?
6. Why did Mattie's mother take a horse from the Ludingtons' farm and ride off?
7. Why is the Sharp home destroyed inside?
8. How did the Ludingtons try to find Mattie?
9. Why does Mattie feel her mother would be proud of her?
10. When Mattie goes to Simon's house what is she looking for and what does she find?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the themes FEVER, 1793 addresses is motivation. Discuss what the novel has to say about this theme. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas. Do you believe that the novel does a good job of expounding on this theme? Defend your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The coffee shop is an important setting in the novel. Discuss the significance of this setting focusing on its impact on plot and character development. Then discuss how the story would be different if the story were set elsewhere. Be sure to cite several examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Eliza and Mrs. Cook. In your essay:
1) Describe Eliza (focus on her physical appearance as well as her personality).
2) Describe Mrs. Cook focus on her physical appearance as well as her personality).
3) Analyze their similarities and differences.
Use specific examples from the text to support your ideas.
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)