|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How would you characterize Matilda's reaction to Polly's death?
2. Where does the clerk threaten to take Mattie?
3. Under which famous political figure did Mattie's grandfather serve?
4. Why is Mattie Leaving?
5. What does King George demand from Mattie?
Short Essay Questions
1. The business at the coffeehouse has improved due to the fever therefore the Cook family has some extra money. Each member of the family has a different idea of what should be done with the money. What are their ideas?
2. Why does Mattie distrust Dr. Rowley?
3. Grandfather feels that Nathaniel Benson must do something before he will ever be able to amount to anything. What is it that he feels he should do?
4. What has Grandfather been doing while Mattie has been recovering?
5. Who are the horsemen that stop the wagon?
6. What do Mattie and Grandfather learn at the newspaper office?
7. What does Grandfather want Mattie to do with the money he gives her?
8. How does Mattie try to catch fish in the stream?
9. Why does Eliza feel that Philadelphia is the best city for free African Americans to live?
10. What do some people in the coffeehouse suggest is causing the sickness?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The coffee shop is an important setting in the novel. Discuss the significance of this setting focusing on its impact on plot and character development. Then discuss how the story would be different if the story were set elsewhere. Be sure to cite several examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Setting is important to the plot in this novel. Select three of the settings in the novel and:
1) Describe the setting in detail.
2) Discuss how it influence the plot and character development. Be sure to cite several examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
There are several characters who influence the person that Mattie becomes. Select the two characters who you believe have the greatest impact on her development and:
1) Describe each character's actions or beliefs as they relate to Mattie.
2) Discuss the impact of this character on Mattie's life and personality.
3) Discuss why you selected each particular character. What about each character made him/her more of an influence on Mattie than others?
Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)