Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Polly die?
2. Who is King George?
3. Why does Mattie's mother make such a fuss over the invitation?
4. What does Matilda believe has made her mother so bitter?
5. What doe Mattie use to make a pillow fro Grandfather?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Eliza suggest that Mattie and Nell should do until the epidemic is over?
2. Why is the Sharp home destroyed inside?
3. How does Mattie try to catch fish in the stream?
4. Who are the horsemen that stop the wagon?
5. Does Yellow Fever still exist and if so where?
6. Why does Mattie tell Eliza all of the details about what she has been through?
7. What happens when Grandfather comes downstairs?
8. What is Mattie and Nell's relationship at this point?
9. Why does Eliza move the furniture outside?
10. What does Mattie give thanks for at the end of Chapter 17?
Essay Topic 1
There are several characters who influence the person that Mattie becomes. Select the two characters who you believe have the greatest impact on her development and:
1) Describe each character's actions or beliefs as they relate to Mattie.
2) Discuss the impact of this character on Mattie's life and personality.
3) Discuss why you selected each particular character. What about each character made him/her more of an influence on Mattie than others?
Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
At times throughout the novel Mattie and Eliza depend on one another. Look back through the novel and:
1) Describe how their relationship evolves.
2) Discuss the impact that their relationship has at each point in the novel.
Use specific examples from the text to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
In FEVER, 1793, a few minor characters have a major impact on the story line. Select one of the following minor characters to analyze: Mrs. Cook, Joseph, Nathaniel Benson, Nell, Mother Smith. Discuss:
1) The personality (character traits) of this character.
2) The relationship between this minor character and the major characters in the story.
3) The impact of this character on the story line--How does s/he influence the overall story line? How would the story be different if this character was removed?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)