|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Grandfather think that he is a fool?
2. Matilda and her mother live above what type of business?
3. Who is leaving with Mattie?
4. What is Bush Hill?
5. Why has business increased at the coffeehouse over the past week?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mattie's mother want her to leave the room?
2. Where does the doctor suggest that the women and children should go?
3. Grandfather feels that Nathaniel Benson must do something before he will ever be able to amount to anything. What is it that he feels he should do?
4. The business at the coffeehouse has improved due to the fever therefore the Cook family has some extra money. Each member of the family has a different idea of what should be done with the money. What are their ideas?
5. What is the soldier's trick for finding water that Mattie uses?
6. Describe Mattie's morning in Chapter 1.
7. Describe what the city looks like as Mattie and Grandfather ride the wagon through it.
8. What do some people in the coffeehouse suggest is causing the sickness?
9. What did Grandfather find when he returned home to the coffeehouse?
10. How does Jeannine insult Mattie and her mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the topics that FEVER, 1793 addresses is the contrast between how the city was before the epidemic and how the city is after the epidemic. In your essay:
1) Describe the city before the epidemic.
2) Describe the city after the epidemic.
3) Analyze the similarities and differences between these two periods.
Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 26 Mattie states, "Yellow Fever had certainly done away with vanity." What do you think she means by this statement? How would you have reacted if your "vanity" was taken away by disease? Why?
Be sure to cite specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
One of the themes FEVER, 1793 addresses is motivation. Discuss what the novel has to say about this theme. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas. Do you believe that the novel does a good job of expounding on this theme? Defend your answer.
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)