|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Polly?
2. At the beginning of Chapter 6 what does Mattie vow never to complain about again?
3. When Mattie's mother begins to worry about Mattie falling ill she suggests sending her where?
4. Who is dropped off in front of the coffeehouse at the end of the chapter?
5. In what city does Chapter 1 take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mother Smith suggest that Mattie is doing more harm than good to Nell?
2. What type of information does Mr. Brown say that he is now reporting in his newspaper?
3. Why does Mattie tell Eliza all of the details about what she has been through?
4. Describe Grandfather as he leaves on the wagon.
5. What does the short excerpt at the beginning of the chapter foreshadow?
6. What scares Mattie more than anything at the end of Chapter 12?
7. Why does Mattie tell Eliza that the children should not be bled?
8. Why does Mattie feel like a traitor when she is walking Nell to the orphan house?
9. What do some people in the coffeehouse suggest is causing the sickness?
10. Why does Mattie feel her mother would be proud of her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several characters who influence the person that Mattie becomes. Select the two characters who you believe have the greatest impact on her development and:
1) Describe each character's actions or beliefs as they relate to Mattie.
2) Discuss the impact of this character on Mattie's life and personality.
3) Discuss why you selected each particular character. What about each character made him/her more of an influence on Mattie than others?
Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Mattie's mother and grandfather have a strong influence on her. Describe at least three ways that Mattie's family influences her development then discuss and analyze the impact these have on her. Is she better or worse for these influences? Why? Be sure to cite several examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Look at the first chapter and the epilogue. There are many similarities and differences between these two chapters. Compare and contrast these two chapters paying particular attention to the main characters. Be sure to cite specific examples to support your ideas.
This section contains 1,581 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)