|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What wakes Mattie up at the beginning of Chapter 13?
2. Where do Mattie and her mother get invited to go?
3. Why does Mrs. Epler, the egg vendor, say that people are dying?
4. What type of fruit does Mattie find on her walk back to Grandfather?
5. Matilda and her mother live above what type of business?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mattie distrust Dr. Rowley?
2. What has Grandfather been doing while Mattie has been recovering?
3. Describe Grandfather as he leaves on the wagon.
4. What three things does a soldier need to fight?
5. What do some people in the coffeehouse suggest is causing the sickness?
6. Describe what the city looks like as Mattie and Grandfather ride the wagon through it.
7. Grandfather feels that Nathaniel Benson must do something before he will ever be able to amount to anything. What is it that he feels he should do?
8. Why does Mattie's mother want her to leave the room?
9. Who is Mr. Stephen Girard?
10. Describe Mattie's morning in Chapter 1.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mattie and her mother's relationship develops and their bond is strengthened through absence.
1) Describe their relationship at several points in the novel.
2) Explain how their relationship changes.
3) Analyze why this change happens. What causes it to happen?
Use evidence from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
FEVER, 1793 presents and comments on death and disease.
1) Discuss how each of these ideas is presented in the novel.
2) Then examine the author's view on the topics. What commentary do you think she is trying to make about death and disease? Why?
Be sure to support your ideas with evidence from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
One of the themes FEVER, 1793 addresses is fear. Discuss what the novel has to say about this theme. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas. Do you believe that the novel does a good job of expounding on this theme? Defend your answer.
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)