|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who stays with Mattie through the night?
2. Before Mattie's grandfather came to live with them what was his profession?
3. Why has Mrs. Ogilvie been lonely?
4. Who will stay with Mrs. Cook?
5. Where is Mattie moved on the tenth day?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Mr. Stephen Girard?
2. Describe Mattie's morning in Chapter 1.
3. What scares Mattie more than anything at the end of Chapter 12?
4. Describe Grandfather as he leaves on the wagon.
5. What do Mattie and Grandfather learn at the newspaper office?
6. What does Grandfather want Mattie to do with the money he gives her?
7. Where does the doctor suggest that the women and children should go?
8. What is the soldier's trick for finding water that Mattie uses?
9. What did Grandfather find when he returned home to the coffeehouse?
10. Why does Mrs. Bowles suggest to Mattie that she come work at the orphan house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the themes FEVER, 1793 addresses is fear. Discuss what the novel has to say about this theme. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas. Do you believe that the novel does a good job of expounding on this theme? Defend your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Friendship is an important topic in this novel.
1) Describe the different ways friendship is presented in the book in detail
2) Then discuss the message the author is trying to make about friendships. In other words, what is her view of friendships? What does she think is important in a friendship? What does she do to show the reader this is her belief?
Be sure to cite specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Philadelphia is an important setting in the novel. Discuss the significance of this setting focusing on its impact on plot and character development. Then discuss how the story would be different if the story were set elsewhere. Be sure to cite several examples from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)