|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Polly die?
2. Who is King George?
3. Why does Mattie's mother make such a fuss over the invitation?
4. What does Matilda believe has made her mother so bitter?
5. What doe Mattie use to make a pillow fro Grandfather?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Eliza suggest that Mattie and Nell should do until the epidemic is over?
2. Why is the Sharp home destroyed inside?
3. How does Mattie try to catch fish in the stream?
4. Who are the horsemen that stop the wagon?
5. Does Yellow Fever still exist and if so where?
6. Why does Mattie tell Eliza all of the details about what she has been through?
7. What happens when Grandfather comes downstairs?
8. What is Mattie and Nell's relationship at this point?
9. Why does Eliza move the furniture outside?
10. What does Mattie give thanks for at the end of Chapter 17?
Essay Topic 1
One of the themes FEVER, 1793 addresses is fear. Discuss what the novel has to say about this theme. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas. Do you believe that the novel does a good job of expounding on this theme? Defend your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The coffee shop is an important setting in the novel. Discuss the significance of this setting focusing on its impact on plot and character development. Then discuss how the story would be different if the story were set elsewhere. Be sure to cite several examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
At times throughout the novel Mattie and Eliza depend on one another. Look back through the novel and:
1) Describe how their relationship evolves.
2) Discuss the impact that their relationship has at each point in the novel.
Use specific examples from the text to support your ideas.
This section contains 1,532 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)