|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How would you characterize Matilda's reaction to Polly's death?
2. Why has business increased at the coffeehouse over the past week?
3. Matilda and her mother live above what type of business?
4. Where is Mattie moved on the tenth day?
5. What is the one thing that Mattie vows never to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Grandfather's response to the clerk when he suggests sending Mattie to the orphan hose?
2. What did Grandfather find when he returned home to the coffeehouse?
3. Has Mattie's mother always been "a tired and bitter captain"?
4. What do some people in the coffeehouse suggest is causing the sickness?
5. Who are the horsemen that stop the wagon?
6. Why does Mattie's mother want her to leave the room?
7. How does Mattie try to catch fish in the stream?
8. Who is Mr. Stephen Girard?
9. What scares Mattie more than anything at the end of Chapter 12?
10. What do Mattie and her mother argue about at the end of Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the themes FEVER, 1793 addresses is motivation. Discuss what the novel has to say about this theme. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas. Do you believe that the novel does a good job of expounding on this theme? Defend your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Look at the first chapter and the epilogue. There are many similarities and differences between these two chapters. Compare and contrast these two chapters paying particular attention to the main characters. Be sure to cite specific examples to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Philadelphia is an important setting in the novel. Discuss the significance of this setting focusing on its impact on plot and character development. Then discuss how the story would be different if the story were set elsewhere. Be sure to cite several examples from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)