Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Polly die?
2. Who is King George?
3. Why does Mattie's mother make such a fuss over the invitation?
4. What does Matilda believe has made her mother so bitter?
5. What doe Mattie use to make a pillow fro Grandfather?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Eliza suggest that Mattie and Nell should do until the epidemic is over?
2. Why is the Sharp home destroyed inside?
3. How does Mattie try to catch fish in the stream?
4. Who are the horsemen that stop the wagon?
5. Does Yellow Fever still exist and if so where?
6. Why does Mattie tell Eliza all of the details about what she has been through?
7. What happens when Grandfather comes downstairs?
8. What is Mattie and Nell's relationship at this point?
9. Why does Eliza move the furniture outside?
10. What does Mattie give thanks for at the end of Chapter 17?
Friendship is an important topic in this novel.
1) Describe the different ways friendship is presented in the book in detail
2) Then discuss the message the author is trying to make about friendships. In other words, what is her view of friendships? What does she think is important in a friendship? What does she do to show the reader this is her belief?
Be sure to cite specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Setting is important to the plot in this novel. Select three of the settings in the novel and:
1) Describe the setting in detail.
2) Discuss how it influence the plot and character development. Be sure to cite several examples from the novel to support your ideas.
There are several characters who influence the person that Mattie becomes. Select the two characters who you believe have the greatest impact on her development and:
1) Describe each character's actions or beliefs as they relate to Mattie.
2) Discuss the impact of this character on Mattie's life and personality.
3) Discuss why you selected each particular character. What about each character made him/her more of an influence on Mattie than others?
Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)