|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who will stay with Mrs. Cook?
2. What is Bush Hill?
3. Why does the farmer throw Mattie and Grandfather off of the wagon?
4. When Mattie leaves her bed for the first time alone where does she go?
5. How does Mattie reacting to leaving?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Eliza feel that Philadelphia is the best city for free African Americans to live?
2. Who are the horsemen that stop the wagon?
3. How would you characterize Mattie's feelings toward Nathaniel Benson after reading Chapter 5?
4. Grandfather feels that Nathaniel Benson must do something before he will ever be able to amount to anything. What is it that he feels he should do?
5. Describe Mattie's morning in Chapter 1.
6. What did Grandfather find when he returned home to the coffeehouse?
7. What has Grandfather been doing while Mattie has been recovering?
8. What do some people in the coffeehouse suggest is causing the sickness?
9. What do Mattie and Grandfather learn at the newspaper office?
10. Describe what the city looks like as Mattie and Grandfather ride the wagon through it.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the themes FEVER, 1793 addresses is motivation. Discuss what the novel has to say about this theme. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas. Do you believe that the novel does a good job of expounding on this theme? Defend your answer.
Essay Topic 2
One of the themes FEVER, 1793 addresses is perseverance. Discuss what the novel has to say about this theme. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas. Do you believe that the novel does a good job of expounding on this theme? Defend your answer.
Essay Topic 3
At times throughout the novel Mattie and Eliza depend on one another. Look back through the novel and:
1) Describe how their relationship evolves.
2) Discuss the impact that their relationship has at each point in the novel.
Use specific examples from the text to support your ideas.
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)