|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Dr. Rowley?
2. Why Eliza so important to the Coffeehouse?
3. What type of meeting is Eliza attending?
4. What does Mattie suggest doing tomorrow?
5. How long have Mattie and Grandfather gone?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the horsemen that stop the wagon?
2. Why does Mattie's mother want her to leave the room?
3. Describe Grandfather as he leaves on the wagon.
4. Describe Mattie's morning in Chapter 1.
5. What has Grandfather been doing while Mattie has been recovering?
6. How does the author use foreshadowing to tell the reader that Colette may be ill?
7. How would you characterize Mattie's feelings toward Nathaniel Benson after reading Chapter 5?
8. What three things does a soldier need to fight?
9. What scares Mattie more than anything at the end of Chapter 12?
10. What does Nathaniel Benson send Mattie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the first chapter and the epilogue. There are many similarities and differences between these two chapters. Compare and contrast these two chapters paying particular attention to the main characters. Be sure to cite specific examples to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Mattie goes through several rites of passage in this novel. In your essay:
1) Describe at least two events that help usher her into adulthood.
2) Then discuss how these events help make her a "woman".
Be sure to cite several examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Friendship is an important topic in this novel.
1) Describe the different ways friendship is presented in the book in detail
2) Then discuss the message the author is trying to make about friendships. In other words, what is her view of friendships? What does she think is important in a friendship? What does she do to show the reader this is her belief?
Be sure to cite specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)