|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Mattie Leaving?
2. Where does the clerk threaten to take Mattie?
3. When Mattie's mother begins to worry about Mattie falling ill she suggests sending her where?
4. What does Mattie do once they get her mother upstairs in bed?
5. How many people have died in the city within the first week of the fever?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mattie give thanks for at the end of Chapter 17?
2. What does Nathaniel Benson send Mattie?
3. Why does Mattie feel her mother would be proud of her?
4. How does Mattie get rid of the robbers?
5. What type of information does Mr. Brown say that he is now reporting in his newspaper?
6. The business at the coffeehouse has improved due to the fever therefore the Cook family has some extra money. Each member of the family has a different idea of what should be done with the money. What are their ideas?
7. Has Mattie's mother always been "a tired and bitter captain"?
8. Grandfather feels that Nathaniel Benson must do something before he will ever be able to amount to anything. What is it that he feels he should do?
9. Why is the Sharp home destroyed inside?
10. What is the soldier's trick for finding water that Mattie uses?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mattie's mother and grandfather have a strong influence on her. Describe at least three ways that Mattie's family influences her development then discuss and analyze the impact these have on her. Is she better or worse for these influences? Why? Be sure to cite several examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
One of the themes FEVER, 1793 addresses is perseverance. Discuss what the novel has to say about this theme. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas. Do you believe that the novel does a good job of expounding on this theme? Defend your answer.
Essay Topic 3
One of the themes FEVER, 1793 addresses is motivation. Discuss what the novel has to say about this theme. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas. Do you believe that the novel does a good job of expounding on this theme? Defend your answer.
This section contains 1,600 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)