|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What wakes Mattie up at the beginning of Chapter 13?
2. What does Mrs. Bowles suggest to Mattie?
3. How would you characterize Matilda's reaction to Polly's death?
4. What do Matilda and her mother argue about in this chapter?
5. After reading Chapter 1 and Chapter 2 how would you characterize Matilda's relationship with her mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What three things does a soldier need to fight?
2. What has Grandfather been doing while Mattie has been recovering?
3. The business at the coffeehouse has improved due to the fever therefore the Cook family has some extra money. Each member of the family has a different idea of what should be done with the money. What are their ideas?
4. How does Mattie try to catch fish in the stream?
5. What do some people in the coffeehouse suggest is causing the sickness?
6. Why does Mattie distrust Dr. Rowley?
7. Describe what the city looks like as Mattie and Grandfather ride the wagon through it.
8. Describe Mattie's morning in Chapter 1.
9. Describe Grandfather as he leaves on the wagon.
10. Where does the doctor suggest that the women and children should go?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Friendship is an important topic in this novel.
1) Describe the different ways friendship is presented in the book in detail
2) Then discuss the message the author is trying to make about friendships. In other words, what is her view of friendships? What does she think is important in a friendship? What does she do to show the reader this is her belief?
Be sure to cite specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Mattie's mother and grandfather have a strong influence on her. Describe at least three ways that Mattie's family influences her development then discuss and analyze the impact these have on her. Is she better or worse for these influences? Why? Be sure to cite several examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
At times throughout the novel Mattie and Eliza depend on one another. Look back through the novel and:
1) Describe how their relationship evolves.
2) Discuss the impact that their relationship has at each point in the novel.
Use specific examples from the text to support your ideas.
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)