Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Polly die?
2. Who is King George?
3. Why does Mattie's mother make such a fuss over the invitation?
4. What does Matilda believe has made her mother so bitter?
5. What doe Mattie use to make a pillow fro Grandfather?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Eliza suggest that Mattie and Nell should do until the epidemic is over?
2. Why is the Sharp home destroyed inside?
3. How does Mattie try to catch fish in the stream?
4. Who are the horsemen that stop the wagon?
5. Does Yellow Fever still exist and if so where?
6. Why does Mattie tell Eliza all of the details about what she has been through?
7. What happens when Grandfather comes downstairs?
8. What is Mattie and Nell's relationship at this point?
9. Why does Eliza move the furniture outside?
10. What does Mattie give thanks for at the end of Chapter 17?
Essay Topic 1
Mattie goes through several rites of passage in this novel. In your essay:
1) Describe at least two events that help usher her into adulthood.
2) Then discuss how these events help make her a "woman".
Be sure to cite several examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
The coffee shop is an important setting in the novel. Discuss the significance of this setting focusing on its impact on plot and character development. Then discuss how the story would be different if the story were set elsewhere. Be sure to cite several examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Mattie grows and changes as a character as the novel progresses. At the same time, she holds to a core set of values. Compare and contrast Mattie at several different stages in her development. Be sure to cite examples from the text to support your ideas.
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)