|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mattie not tell her Grandfather about her fishing experience?
2. Where does Grandfather spend the night?
3. Where is Mattie allowed to go when she leaves the house?
4. Who does Mattie run into while she is out of the house?
5. What does Matilda believe has made her mother so bitter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Mattie and Grandfather learn at the newspaper office?
2. What do Mattie and her mother argue about at the end of Chapter 3?
3. Describe Mattie's morning in Chapter 1.
4. Why does the church bell ring twenty-one times?
5. What is Grandfather's response to the clerk when he suggests sending Mattie to the orphan hose?
6. How does Mattie try to catch fish in the stream?
7. What has Grandfather been doing while Mattie has been recovering?
8. Describe what the city looks like as Mattie and Grandfather ride the wagon through it.
9. Has Mattie's mother always been "a tired and bitter captain"?
10. Why does Mattie's mother want her to leave the room?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 26 Mattie states, "Yellow Fever had certainly done away with vanity." What do you think she means by this statement? How would you have reacted if your "vanity" was taken away by disease? Why?
Be sure to cite specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
One of the themes FEVER, 1793 addresses is fear. Discuss what the novel has to say about this theme. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas. Do you believe that the novel does a good job of expounding on this theme? Defend your answer.
Essay Topic 3
There are several characters who influence the person that Mattie becomes. Select the two characters who you believe have the greatest impact on her development and:
1) Describe each character's actions or beliefs as they relate to Mattie.
2) Discuss the impact of this character on Mattie's life and personality.
3) Discuss why you selected each particular character. What about each character made him/her more of an influence on Mattie than others?
Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)