|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How would you characterize Matilda's reaction to Polly's death?
2. At the beginning of Chapter 7 Mattie's mother pays her a compliment. What does she tell her?
3. What doe Mattie use to make a pillow fro Grandfather?
4. How does Mattie feel about the invitation?
5. What does King George demand from Mattie?
Short Essay Questions
1. How would you characterize Mattie's feelings toward Nathaniel Benson after reading Chapter 5?
2. What is Grandfather's response to the clerk when he suggests sending Mattie to the orphan hose?
3. How does the author use foreshadowing to tell the reader that Colette may be ill?
4. What did Grandfather find when he returned home to the coffeehouse?
5. Where does the doctor suggest that the women and children should go?
6. Describe Grandfather as he leaves on the wagon.
7. Why does Mrs. Bowles suggest to Mattie that she come work at the orphan house?
8. Has Mattie's mother always been "a tired and bitter captain"?
9. How does Jeannine insult Mattie and her mother?
10. How does Mattie try to catch fish in the stream?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 26 Mattie states, "Yellow Fever had certainly done away with vanity." What do you think she means by this statement? How would you have reacted if your "vanity" was taken away by disease? Why?
Be sure to cite specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
There are several characters who influence the person that Mattie becomes. Select the two characters who you believe have the greatest impact on her development and:
1) Describe each character's actions or beliefs as they relate to Mattie.
2) Discuss the impact of this character on Mattie's life and personality.
3) Discuss why you selected each particular character. What about each character made him/her more of an influence on Mattie than others?
Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
FEVER, 1793 presents and comments on death and disease.
1) Discuss how each of these ideas is presented in the novel.
2) Then examine the author's view on the topics. What commentary do you think she is trying to make about death and disease? Why?
Be sure to support your ideas with evidence from the novel.
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)