|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mattie decide she needs at the beginning of Chapter 18?
(b) To open the coffee house.
(c) Medical attention.
(d) A bath.
2. Why does Joseph not come to the coffeehouse?
(a) Because he does not agree with taking them to the coffee house.
(b) Because he cannot bare it.
(c) He is coming the next day.
(d) Because he is still ill.
3. Who does Mattie walk home with?
(a) Mrs. Cook.
(b) Mrs. Epler.
(c) Nathaniel Benson.
4. When is Mattie's favorite time to take a walk with Nathaniel?
(a) Just before sundown.
(b) In the morning.
(c) Late at night.
(d) After lunch.
5. Who does Mattie plan to visit on Sunday?
(a) Mother Smith.
(c) Polly's mother.
(d) Mrs. Epler.
Short Answer Questions
1. What must Mattie do before enjoying her coffee?
2. When Eliza tells Mattie that she can go home what is Mattie's response?
3. Where do Mattie and Eliza place the mattress?
4. How regularly did Mattie bathe before the fever?
5. Who is the first person up at the coffeehouse?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mattie say that it is more difficult to care for children?
2. How does Mattie get rid of the robbers?
3. How are people who left the city acting differently from those who stayed in the city?
4. Why does Mattie feel like a traitor when she is walking Nell to the orphan house?
5. Find two examples of how people showed fear and panic during the epidemic.
6. Why does Mattie promise her mother that she will not wear her clothes.
7. What does Eliza suggest that Mattie and Nell should do until the epidemic is over?
8. At the end of Chapter 18 what does Mattie daydream about?
9. Why is the Sharp home destroyed inside?
10. Why does Mattie tell Eliza that the children should not be bled?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)