|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is in charge when Eliza is away?
(c) No one.
(d) Mother Smith.
2. When Eliza tells Mattie that she can go home what is Mattie's response?
(a) She wants to continue working.
(b) She thanks Eliza and leaves.
(c) She leaves and go to find Nathaniel.
(d) She becomes angry at the suggestion.
3. What do Grandfather and Mattie find when they walk into the coffeehouse?
(a) That is Eliza is there.
(b) That Mrs. Cook is back.
(c) That everything is just as they left it.
(d) It has been looted.
4. At the end of chapter 17 what does Mattie do?
(a) Wash Silas.
(c) Go to the market to buy food.
(d) Offer up a prayer of Thanksgiving.
5. To whom is Mattie referring when she says, "Here is a familiar face,"?
(d) King George.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mattie get from the coffeehouse for Grandfather's burial?
2. What does Nell want from Eliza?
3. Why does Eliza become angry at the apothecary?
4. Who else returns at the end of Chapter 28?
5. Who does Nell cry out for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why can the children not stay at the cooperage?
2. Why does Mattie feel like a traitor when she is walking Nell to the orphan house?
3. What does the short excerpt at the beginning of the chapter foreshadow?
4. Why does Eliza move the furniture outside?
5. When Mattie goes to Simon's house what is she looking for and what does she find?
6. Why did some people wait until George Washington returned to come back to the city?
7. What happens when Grandfather comes downstairs?
8. Why does Mattie tell Eliza all of the details about what she has been through?
9. What is Mattie and Nell's relationship at this point?
10. When does Mattie feel that there are ghosts nearby?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)