|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How regularly did Mattie bathe before the fever?
(a) Every other day.
2. Who else returns at the end of Chapter 28?
(a) Mrs. Cook.
(b) Mrs. Flagg.
(d) Mother smith.
3. When Eliza tells Mattie that she can go home what is Mattie's response?
(a) She thanks Eliza and leaves.
(b) She leaves and go to find Nathaniel.
(c) She wants to continue working.
(d) She becomes angry at the suggestion.
4. What is tied to the handle of the front door to the coffeehouse?
(a) A notice about the fever.
(b) A newspaper.
(c) A yellow piece of fabric.
5. What does Mattie's mother fuss about?
(a) Eliza working in the garden.
(b) Mattie spending time with Nathaniel.
(c) Mattie's clothes.
(d) The boys running errands alone.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Grandfather and Mattie find when they walk into the coffeehouse?
2. To whom is Mattie referring when she says, "Here is a familiar face,"?
3. When Eliza and Mattie get back to Joseph's what do they find?
4. At the end of chapter 17 what does Mattie do?
5. What wakes Mattie?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Mattie's mother take a horse from the Ludingtons' farm and ride off?
2. How are people who left the city acting differently from those who stayed in the city?
3. Why does Mattie tell Eliza that the children should not be bled?
4. What does Eliza suggest that Mattie and Nell should do until the epidemic is over?
5. When does Mattie feel that there are ghosts nearby?
6. Why can the children not stay at the cooperage?
7. Why did some people wait until George Washington returned to come back to the city?
8. What does the short excerpt at the beginning of the chapter foreshadow?
9. Why does Mattie promise her mother that she will not wear her clothes.
10. Find two examples of how people showed fear and panic during the epidemic.
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)