|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Ludington have to return to the farm?
(a) Her husband is ill.
(b) She promised her husband she would return quickly.
(c) She does not enjoy the city.
(d) She is ill.
2. What must Mattie do before enjoying her coffee?
(a) Set the breakfast table.
(b) Cook breakfast.
(c) Sweep the kitchen.
(d) Fold the linens.
3. What errand do the boys run?
(a) They get the sugar.
(b) They get the milk.
(c) They get the newspapers.
(d) They work in the garden.
4. Where do Mattie and Eliza take the children?
(a) To the orphan house.
(b) To the market.
(c) To the coffeehouse.
(d) To Bush Hill.
5. How does Mattie react when she is reunited with Eliza?
(a) She cries and cries in Eliza's arms.
(b) She runs away.
(c) She faints.
(d) She laughs.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mattie keep the children quiet in the morning?
2. What is the response of the customers in the coffeehouse when Mattie and her mother enter?
3. How does Mattie keep the children out of the kitchen when she and Eliza are cooking?
4. When is Mattie's favorite time to take a walk with Nathaniel?
5. What does Mattie's mother fuss about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Mattie's mother take a horse from the Ludingtons' farm and ride off?
2. What does the short excerpt at the beginning of the chapter foreshadow?
3. Why does Mattie promise her mother that she will not wear her clothes.
4. Why does Mattie say that it is more difficult to care for children?
5. Why does Eliza move the furniture outside?
6. Why can the children not stay at the cooperage?
7. What is Mattie and Nell's relationship at this point?
8. Why did some people wait until George Washington returned to come back to the city?
9. What type of information does Mr. Brown say that he is now reporting in his newspaper?
10. What happens when Grandfather comes downstairs?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)