|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mattie not want to wake Grandfather for help?
(a) She is afraid that the robbers will attack both of them.
(b) She feels that she can handle it alone.
(c) She does not want to worry him.
(d) She does want to wake him.
2. What does Mattie get from the coffeehouse for Grandfather's burial?
(a) His clothing.
(b) The strongbox.
(c) The portrait of Grandmother.
(d) His sword.
3. Who is in charge when Eliza is away?
(c) Mother Smith.
(d) No one.
4. What did Mother Smith have sent to the cooperage?
(a) A preacher.
(b) A doctor.
(d) A cart.
5. Where does Eliza go in the morning?
(a) To the market.
(b) To the coffee house.
(c) To look for Mattie's mother.
(d) To care for the sick.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Ludington have to return to the farm?
2. Who does Mattie think she sees when she is walking to get help for Nell?
3. Who has come into the coffeehouse?
4. What is tied to the handle of the front door to the coffeehouse?
5. Where do Mattie and Eliza place the mattress?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Mattie goes to Simon's house what is she looking for and what does she find?
2. Why does Mother Smith suggest that Mattie is doing more harm than good to Nell?
3. What does Eliza suggest that Mattie and Nell should do until the epidemic is over?
4. At the end of Chapter 18 what does Mattie daydream about?
5. How does Mattie get rid of the robbers?
6. Does Yellow Fever still exist and if so where?
7. Why does Grandfather allow Mattie to order him to bed when they reach the coffeehouse?
8. What is Eliza's reaction when she sees Mattie?
9. How are people who left the city acting differently from those who stayed in the city?
10. Why can the children not stay at the cooperage?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)