|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who offers to design the handbill?
(d) A customer at the coffee house.
2. Who is Joseph?
(a) Eliza's husband.
(b) The farmer at the market.
(c) Eliza's brother.
(d) Nell's father.
3. What does Mattie get from the coffeehouse for Grandfather's burial?
(a) The strongbox.
(b) The portrait of Grandmother.
(c) His sword.
(d) His clothing.
4. To whom is Mattie referring when she says, "Here is a familiar face,"?
(a) King George.
5. Who are Robert and William?
(a) Nell's brothers.
(b) The robbers.
(c) Eliza's nephews.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Eliza go in the morning?
2. What is the significance of Washington Square?
3. Who is with Mrs. Cook?
4. Why does Eliza tell Mattie that she should eat slowly?
5. What does Elza tell Mattie about Mrs. Cook?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mattie find when she goes to the market?
2. Why will Mattie and Eliza have to go through lawyers in order to be partners?
3. How did the Ludingtons try to find Mattie?
4. Why does Mattie say that it is more difficult to care for children?
5. Why does Mattie feel like a traitor when she is walking Nell to the orphan house?
6. Why does Grandfather allow Mattie to order him to bed when they reach the coffeehouse?
7. Why can the children not stay at the cooperage?
8. What happens when Grandfather comes downstairs?
9. What does the short excerpt at the beginning of the chapter foreshadow?
10. What type of information does Mr. Brown say that he is now reporting in his newspaper?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)