|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Nell?
(a) A friend of the family.
(b) A farmer at the market.
(c) The little orphan girl that Mattie found.
(d) Mattie's neighbor.
2. Who is the first person up at the coffeehouse?
(b) Mrs. Cook.
3. What is proving to be a good way to get more customers to spend more money?
(b) Nathaniel's art.
(c) Free samples.
(d) More options.
4. How many people does Mr.Brown tell Mattie have died?
(a) Five hundred.
(b) Three thousand.
(c) One thousand.
(d) Five thousand.
5. When Eliza and Mattie get back to Joseph's what do they find?
(a) Mrs. Cook is there waiting for them.
(b) Robbers have come and stolen everything.
(c) Joseph is sick again.
(d) The twins and Nell have fallen ill.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mattie react when she is reunited with Eliza?
2. What does the messenger bring?
3. Where do Mattie and Eliza take the children?
4. Who comes back to town exciting all the customers?
5. What must Mattie do before enjoying her coffee?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the short excerpt at the beginning of the chapter foreshadow?
2. Why does Mattie feel like a traitor when she is walking Nell to the orphan house?
3. What type of information does Mr. Brown say that he is now reporting in his newspaper?
4. Find two examples of how people showed fear and panic during the epidemic.
5. How are people who left the city acting differently from those who stayed in the city?
6. Why does Mattie feel her mother would be proud of her?
7. Why does Grandfather allow Mattie to order him to bed when they reach the coffeehouse?
8. Why did Mattie's mother take a horse from the Ludingtons' farm and ride off?
9. Why does Mattie say that it is more difficult to care for children?
10. What does Eliza suggest that Mattie and Nell should do until the epidemic is over?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)