|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Nell?
(a) A farmer at the market.
(b) Mattie's neighbor.
(c) A friend of the family.
(d) The little orphan girl that Mattie found.
2. What is the one thing Mattie says Mother Smith does well?
(b) Tells stories.
(d) Care for the boys.
3. Who does Mattie plan to visit on Sunday?
(a) Polly's mother.
(c) Mother Smith.
(d) Mrs. Epler.
4. Where does Nell sleep?
(a) With Mrs. Cook.
(b) With Mattie.
(c) With the twins.
(d) With Eliza.
5. What does Mattie decide is the only way to find Eliza?
(a) She goes door to door.
(b) She yells, "Eliza!" as loud as possible into the street.
(c) She posts posters.
(d) She places an ad in the paper.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the messenger bring?
2. Who does Nell cry out for?
3. Why is Grandfather unable to hang his sword above the fireplace?
4. What does Mattie get from the coffeehouse for Grandfather's burial?
5. What errand do the boys run?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of information does Mr. Brown say that he is now reporting in his newspaper?
2. Why did some people wait until George Washington returned to come back to the city?
3. What is Mattie and Nell's relationship at this point?
4. Why does Mattie say that it is more difficult to care for children?
5. What does Mattie give thanks for at the end of Chapter 17?
6. What does the short excerpt at the beginning of the chapter foreshadow?
7. Why can the children not stay at the cooperage?
8. Why does Mattie feel her mother would be proud of her?
9. What is Eliza's reaction when she sees Mattie?
10. What does Eliza suggest that Mattie and Nell should do until the epidemic is over?
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)