|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did the tall man want to catch Mattie?
(a) They think that she has the fever.
(b) They are trying to kill her.
(c) They want to help her.
(d) She will tell them where the money is hidden.
2. What is the one thing Mattie says Mother Smith does well?
(a) Care for the boys.
(b) Tells stories.
3. What treatment did the doctor prescribe for Mrs. Cook?
(a) Several medications.
(b) To exercise regularly.
(c) To get back to work.
(d) To live a life of leisure.
4. Who is Jean Pierre Blanchard?
(a) A doctor.
(b) A french aeronaut.
(c) A lawyer.
(d) A teacher.
5. What is a cooper?
(a) A bread maker.
(b) A basket weaver.
(c) A babysitter.
(d) A barrel maker.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mattie keep the children out of the kitchen when she and Eliza are cooking?
2. How regularly did Mattie bathe before the fever?
3. Who does Mattie walk home with?
4. One of the neighbors suggests that Mattie can find help for Nell by talking to whom?
5. What does Mattie find in the garden that makes her dance?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mattie feel her mother would be proud of her?
2. What does Mattie give thanks for at the end of Chapter 17?
3. Why does Mattie tell Eliza all of the details about what she has been through?
4. Why is the Sharp home destroyed inside?
5. Why does Mattie say that it is more difficult to care for children?
6. Why does Mattie promise her mother that she will not wear her clothes.
7. What happens when Grandfather comes downstairs?
8. Why did some people wait until George Washington returned to come back to the city?
9. How does Mattie get rid of the robbers?
10. Why did Mattie's mother take a horse from the Ludingtons' farm and ride off?
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)