|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is causing Mattie's terrible dreams?
(a) She isn't having bad dreams.
(c) Bad food.
(d) Her fever.
2. How long have Mattie and Grandfather gone?
(a) 7 days.
(b) 5 days.
(c) 6 days.
(d) 8 days.
3. Who will stay with Mrs. Cook?
(b) A nurse will be hired.
(c) Dr. Kerr.
4. Where is Mattie moved on the tenth day?
(a) To a field.
(b) To the barn.
(c) To a wagon.
5. What does Grandfather promise Mrs. Flagg?
(a) To take her to a ball.
(b) A buy her dinner.
(c) To marry her.
(d) A house.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Grandfather spend the night?
2. What does Mattie worry her mother wanted more than her?
3. Who is Polly?
4. Why does Mattie think that the bugs are bothering them at the beginning of Chapter 11?
5. What does Mattie do to keep herself from crying?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Grandfather find when he returned home to the coffeehouse?
2. What is the soldier's trick for finding water that Mattie uses?
3. Why does Mattie distrust Dr. Rowley?
4. Why does the church bell ring twenty-one times?
5. What does Nathaniel Benson send Mattie?
6. Who are the horsemen that stop the wagon?
7. How does the author use foreshadowing to tell the reader that Colette may be ill?
8. Who is Mr. Stephen Girard?
9. The business at the coffeehouse has improved due to the fever therefore the Cook family has some extra money. Each member of the family has a different idea of what should be done with the money. What are their ideas?
10. What do Mattie and her mother argue about at the end of Chapter 3?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)