|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Now that Polly has died who is responsible for her chores?
(b) Mattie's mother.
(d) A new serving girl has been hired.
2. Why does Mattie have to rewash the tablecloths?
(a) Because Silas knocked them down while chasing a squirrel.
(b) She needs to wash them twice because of the fever germs.
(c) Eliza spilled dirty ditch water on them.
(d) She dropped them.
3. What doe Mattie use to make a pillow fro Grandfather?
(a) Her clothes.
(b) Pine straw.
(c) Timothy grass.
4. Where is Mattie allowed to go when she leaves the house?
(a) The blacksmith's to talk to Matthew.
(b) To the river for a swim.
(c) The market for supplies for the coffeehouse.
(d) To see her friend Nathaniel Benson.
5. Why does Mattie not tell her Grandfather about her fishing experience?
(a) She does not want to admit defeat.
(b) Because she does not want to share her secret way of catching fish.
(c) She does not want to share the fish she caught.
(d) She does not want to make him feel more hunger by thinking of fish.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Mattie moved on the tenth day?
2. Who will stay with Mrs. Cook?
3. What does Grandfather suggest that Nathaniel Benson did at the market?
4. Where does the clerk threaten to take Mattie?
5. What type of lessons does Grandfather give Mattie?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Grandfather as he leaves on the wagon.
2. Grandfather feels that Nathaniel Benson must do something before he will ever be able to amount to anything. What is it that he feels he should do?
3. What does Eliza suggest that Mattie and Nell should do until the epidemic is over?
4. At the end of Chapter 18 what does Mattie daydream about?
5. Why does Mother Smith suggest that Mattie is doing more harm than good to Nell?
6. Does Yellow Fever still exist and if so where?
7. Describe what the city looks like as Mattie and Grandfather ride the wagon through it.
8. What scares Mattie more than anything at the end of Chapter 12?
9. Why did some people wait until George Washington returned to come back to the city?
10. Why does Mattie tell Eliza that the children should not be bled?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)