|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Eliza want Mattie to cut her some asparagus grass?
(a) To help kill germs.
(b) To keep the flies away from her.
(c) To add to the soup she was making.
(d) To eat for a snack.
2. What does Mattie say is her chief complaint?
(a) She is dizzy.
(b) She is hungry.
(c) Her head hurts.
(d) She is lonely.
3. What type of fruit does Mattie find on her walk back to Grandfather?
4. Under which famous political figure did Mattie's grandfather serve?
(a) George Bush.
(b) George Washington.
(c) Benjamin Franklin.
(d) Thomas Jefferson.
5. What does Mattie find for them to eat?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what city does Chapter 1 take place?
2. When Mattie leaves her bed for the first time alone where does she go?
3. What woke up Mattie?
4. What insult does Matilda say to her mother?
5. Why does the farmer throw Mattie and Grandfather off of the wagon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has Grandfather been doing while Mattie has been recovering?
2. How does Mattie try to catch fish in the stream?
3. Describe Grandfather as he leaves on the wagon.
4. Why does Mrs. Bowles suggest to Mattie that she come work at the orphan house?
5. How does the author use foreshadowing to tell the reader that Colette may be ill?
6. Why does Mattie's mother want her to leave the room?
7. Why does the church bell ring twenty-one times?
8. What does Nathaniel Benson send Mattie?
9. What do Mattie and Grandfather learn at the newspaper office?
10. Describe Mattie's morning in Chapter 1.
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)