|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Polly?
(a) Matilda's best friend.
(b) A slave.
(c) The serving girl.
(d) Matilda's sister.
2. How does Mattie feel about the invitation?
(a) She does not want to go.
(b) She is excited.
(c) She does not want to go.
(d) She is afraid of catching the fever.
3. What does Mattie say is her chief complaint?
(a) She is lonely.
(b) She is dizzy.
(c) She is hungry.
(d) Her head hurts.
4. What does Mattie worry her mother wanted more than her?
(a) A servant.
(d) Her father.
5. Why does Grandfather not wake up?
(a) Because he was in such a deep sleep.
(b) Because he has died.
(c) Because he is sick.
(d) He does wake up.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mattie go to find once Grandfather has fallen asleep?
2. Now that Polly has died who is responsible for her chores?
3. Where does Grandfather spend the night?
4. Why does Mattie think that the bugs are bothering them at the beginning of Chapter 11?
5. What does Mattie do once they get her mother upstairs in bed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do some people in the coffeehouse suggest is causing the sickness?
2. What has Grandfather been doing while Mattie has been recovering?
3. What three things does a soldier need to fight?
4. Who is Mr. Stephen Girard?
5. Why does Mrs. Bowles suggest to Mattie that she come work at the orphan house?
6. Describe what the city looks like as Mattie and Grandfather ride the wagon through it.
7. How does the author use foreshadowing to tell the reader that Colette may be ill?
8. What is the soldier's trick for finding water that Mattie uses?
9. Why does Eliza feel that Philadelphia is the best city for free African Americans to live?
10. What does Grandfather want Mattie to do with the money he gives her?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)