|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mattie have to rewash the tablecloths?
(a) She needs to wash them twice because of the fever germs.
(b) She dropped them.
(c) Because Silas knocked them down while chasing a squirrel.
(d) Eliza spilled dirty ditch water on them.
2. Why must Eliza go home at night?
(a) She wants to go home.
(b) She is too tired to help Mrs. Cook and Eliza.
(c) Her brother's family is expecting her.
(d) She is afraid of becoming ill.
3. What do Matilda and her mother argue about in this chapter?
(a) Matilda does not want to work and her mother is making her.
(b) Matilda wants to go away to school and her mother does not want her to go.
(c) Matilda wants a new dress and her mother says no.
(d) Matilda wants to go to the funeral and her mother does not want her to go.
4. What happened to Matilda's father?
(a) He lives in Europe.
(b) He was killed in the war.
(c) He and Matilda's mother are divorced.
(d) He fell from a ladder and died.
5. When thinking about her grandfather, her mother and Eliza, Mattie decides that who has the most strong-headed opinions?
(a) They are an even match.
(b) Mrs. Cook.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does this new person help Mrs. Cook?
2. In what city does Chapter 1 take place?
3. What does Mattie worry her mother wanted more than her?
4. How would you characterize Matilda's reaction to Polly's death?
5. Why does the farmer throw Mattie and Grandfather off of the wagon?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the church bell ring twenty-one times?
2. Why does Eliza feel that Philadelphia is the best city for free African Americans to live?
3. Describe Grandfather as he leaves on the wagon.
4. What scares Mattie more than anything at the end of Chapter 12?
5. The business at the coffeehouse has improved due to the fever therefore the Cook family has some extra money. Each member of the family has a different idea of what should be done with the money. What are their ideas?
6. Grandfather feels that Nathaniel Benson must do something before he will ever be able to amount to anything. What is it that he feels he should do?
7. Why does Mattie's mother want her to leave the room?
8. How does Jeannine insult Mattie and her mother?
9. What did Grandfather find when he returned home to the coffeehouse?
10. Where does the doctor suggest that the women and children should go?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)