|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Now that Polly has died who is responsible for her chores?
(b) A new serving girl has been hired.
(c) Mattie's mother.
2. Where is Mattie moved on the tenth day?
(a) To a wagon.
(c) To the barn.
(d) To a field.
3. When are patients discharged?
(a) When they are not coughing any longer.
(b) When they are unable to pay.
(c) When they are strong enough to walk on their own.
(d) When they have not had a fever for 24 hours.
4. Why does Mattie handle the bills and the exchange of money?
(a) Because her mother is too tired.
(b) Because Mattie enjoys it.
(c) Because her mother is unable to do the math.
(d) Because her mother thought that it would be a good way for Mattie to learn mathematical skills.
5. Who do Grandfather and Eliza bring to help the next morning?
(a) The mayor.
(b) Dr. Rowley.
(c) Mr. Carris
(d) Dr. Kerr.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why must Eliza go home at night?
2. Where does the clerk threaten to take Mattie?
3. What does Matilda believe has made her mother so bitter?
4. Who is Susannah?
5. Who is Mrs. Flagg?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the church bell ring twenty-one times?
2. How does Jeannine insult Mattie and her mother?
3. Why does Eliza feel that Philadelphia is the best city for free African Americans to live?
4. What scares Mattie more than anything at the end of Chapter 12?
5. The business at the coffeehouse has improved due to the fever therefore the Cook family has some extra money. Each member of the family has a different idea of what should be done with the money. What are their ideas?
6. Describe what the city looks like as Mattie and Grandfather ride the wagon through it.
7. Describe Mattie's morning in Chapter 1.
8. Who are the horsemen that stop the wagon?
9. What three things does a soldier need to fight?
10. Grandfather feels that Nathaniel Benson must do something before he will ever be able to amount to anything. What is it that he feels he should do?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)