|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who else is in the wagon with Mattie?
(a) 5 dignitaries.
(b) 5 orphans.
(c) No one.
(d) 5 prisoners.
2. Why Eliza so important to the Coffeehouse?
(a) She takes care of all of the paper work.
(b) Matilda's mother cannot cook and Eliza is an excellent cook.
(c) She brews the best coffee.
(d) She handles all of the advertising.
3. What does Mattie daydream about?
(a) Nathaniel Benson.
(b) Her mother coming back and being proud of Mattie.
4. What do the men in the coffeehouse say that they need to find for Mattie?
(a) Some new clothes.
(b) A new job.
(c) Some more friends.
(d) A husband.
5. Why does Mattie's mother make such a fuss over the invitation?
(a) Because she is afraid of catching the fever.
(b) Because Edward Ogilvie is a potential husband for Mattie.
(c) Because she wants to be friends with Mrs. Ogilvie.
(d) Because she does not want to go.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Mattie's mother begins to worry about Mattie falling ill she suggests sending her where?
2. What type of meeting is Eliza attending?
3. Who is dropped off in front of the coffeehouse at the end of the chapter?
4. Why does Mrs. Epler, the egg vendor, say that people are dying?
5. How did Polly die?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what the city looks like as Mattie and Grandfather ride the wagon through it.
2. How does Mattie try to catch fish in the stream?
3. What scares Mattie more than anything at the end of Chapter 12?
4. Where does the doctor suggest that the women and children should go?
5. What do Mattie and her mother argue about at the end of Chapter 3?
6. What has Grandfather been doing while Mattie has been recovering?
7. Has Mattie's mother always been "a tired and bitter captain"?
8. The business at the coffeehouse has improved due to the fever therefore the Cook family has some extra money. Each member of the family has a different idea of what should be done with the money. What are their ideas?
9. What does Nathaniel Benson send Mattie?
10. Why does Mattie's mother want her to leave the room?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)