|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is wrong with Mattie?
(a) She has the stomach flu.
(b) Nothing, she is fine.
(c) She has the chicken pox.
(d) She has Yellow Fever.
2. When are patients discharged?
(a) When they have not had a fever for 24 hours.
(b) When they are unable to pay.
(c) When they are not coughing any longer.
(d) When they are strong enough to walk on their own.
3. Why has Mrs. Ogilvie been lonely?
(a) All of her friends have gone to the country because of the fever.
(b) She has never had any friends.
(c) All of her friends are angry with her.
(d) All of her friends have moved away.
4. After reading Chapter 1 and Chapter 2 how would you characterize Matilda's relationship with her mother?
(a) Matilda and her mother are more like sisters than mother and daughter.
(b) Matilda and her mother do not have a relationship.
(c) Matilda and her mother are friends.
(d) Matilda feels like a servant.
5. Where do Mattie and her grandfather go?
(a) To the market.
(b) To the country.
(c) To the hospital.
(d) To the newspaper office.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mattie handle the bills and the exchange of money?
2. What does Mattie compare the clerk to?
3. Why does Grandfather not wake up?
4. Now that Polly has died who is responsible for her chores?
5. At the beginning of Chapter 6 what does Mattie vow never to complain about again?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Mattie's morning in Chapter 1.
2. How would you characterize Mattie's feelings toward Nathaniel Benson after reading Chapter 5?
3. Grandfather feels that Nathaniel Benson must do something before he will ever be able to amount to anything. What is it that he feels he should do?
4. Has Mattie's mother always been "a tired and bitter captain"?
5. Where does the doctor suggest that the women and children should go?
6. What scares Mattie more than anything at the end of Chapter 12?
7. How many people have been predicted to die?
8. What is Grandfather's response to the clerk when he suggests sending Mattie to the orphan hose?
9. What is the soldier's trick for finding water that Mattie uses?
10. What do some people in the coffeehouse suggest is causing the sickness?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)