|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How often does Mattie's mother need to be bathed?
(a) Every eight hours.
(b) Every two hours.
(c) Every six hours.
(d) Every four hours.
2. Where is Mattie moved on the tenth day?
(a) To the barn.
(b) To a wagon.
(c) To a field.
3. Why does the farmer throw Mattie and Grandfather off of the wagon?
(a) Because the horse cannot pull all of them.
(b) Because Grandfather has fallen ill.
(c) Because Mattie has been rude.
(d) Because Mattie has fallen ill.
4. Who is Polly?
(a) The serving girl.
(b) A slave.
(c) Matilda's best friend.
(d) Matilda's sister.
5. How would you characterize Matilda's reaction to Polly's death?
Short Answer Questions
1. How long have Mattie and Grandfather gone?
2. What language are the Ogilvie children studying?
3. Where are the Ogilvie sons?
4. Who is Susannah?
5. Where do Mattie and her grandfather go?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Grandfather as he leaves on the wagon.
2. What is Mattie and Nell's relationship at this point?
3. Describe Mattie's morning in Chapter 1.
4. Why does Eliza feel that Philadelphia is the best city for free African Americans to live?
5. At the end of Chapter 18 what does Mattie daydream about?
6. Why does Eliza move the furniture outside?
7. When Mattie goes to Simon's house what is she looking for and what does she find?
8. How does the author use foreshadowing to tell the reader that Colette may be ill?
9. When does Mattie feel that there are ghosts nearby?
10. Why can the children not stay at the cooperage?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)