|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Before Mattie's grandfather came to live with them what was his profession?
(a) He was an army captain.
(b) He was a carpenter.
(c) He was the captain of a ship.
(d) He was a chef.
2. Who is Mrs. Flagg?
(a) The nurse that has been caring for her.
(b) A friend of the family.
(c) Eliza's friend.
(d) A woman on the farm.
3. In what city does Chapter 1 take place?
(b) Washington D.C.
(c) New York City.
4. Who does Mattie run into while she is out of the house?
(a) Her former teacher.
(b) Nathaniel Benson.
(c) Polly's mother.
(d) A friend of her mother's.
5. How long have Mattie and Grandfather gone?
(a) 5 days.
(b) 7 days.
(c) 8 days.
(d) 6 days.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Susannah?
2. How would you characterize Matilda's reaction to Polly's death?
3. What is causing Mattie's terrible dreams?
4. What happens to Mattie at the end of the chapter?
5. What does Grandfather suggest that Nathaniel Benson did at the market?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what the city looks like as Mattie and Grandfather ride the wagon through it.
2. Describe Mattie's morning in Chapter 1.
3. What did Grandfather find when he returned home to the coffeehouse?
4. Describe Grandfather as he leaves on the wagon.
5. What does Nathaniel Benson send Mattie?
6. What three things does a soldier need to fight?
7. What do Mattie and Grandfather learn at the newspaper office?
8. Why does Mattie distrust Dr. Rowley?
9. Where does the doctor suggest that the women and children should go?
10. Why does Mattie's mother want her to leave the room?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)