|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mattie do once they get her mother upstairs in bed?
(a) She becomes angry.
(b) She cries.
(c) She sits by her bed refusing to leave her side.
(d) She returns to work.
2. Why does Mrs. Epler, the egg vendor, say that people are dying?
(a) Because they have bad luck.
(b) Because they are dirty.
(c) Because they are sinners who do not attend church.
(d) Because they are weak.
3. When Mattie leaves her bed for the first time alone where does she go?
(a) To find her Grandfather.
(b) To the bathroom.
(c) To get something to eat.
(d) To find Nathaniel.
4. Why does the farmer throw Mattie and Grandfather off of the wagon?
(a) Because Mattie has been rude.
(b) Because Mattie has fallen ill.
(c) Because the horse cannot pull all of them.
(d) Because Grandfather has fallen ill.
5. Where do Mattie and her mother get invited to go?
(a) To a meeting for business owners.
(b) To a party at the Oglivies' home.
(c) To have tea at the Ogilvies' home.
(d) To Polly's funeral.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mattie run into while she is out of the house?
2. How does Mattie feel about the invitation?
3. How many people have died in the city within the first week of the fever?
4. Why does Mattie's mother make such a fuss over the invitation?
5. Why is Mattie Leaving?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author use foreshadowing to tell the reader that Colette may be ill?
2. What scares Mattie more than anything at the end of Chapter 12?
3. What is Grandfather's response to the clerk when he suggests sending Mattie to the orphan hose?
4. What does Nathaniel Benson send Mattie?
5. Describe what the city looks like as Mattie and Grandfather ride the wagon through it.
6. Where does the doctor suggest that the women and children should go?
7. How does Mattie try to catch fish in the stream?
8. Who is Mr. Stephen Girard?
9. Describe Grandfather as he leaves on the wagon.
10. Has Mattie's mother always been "a tired and bitter captain"?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)