|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Polly?
(a) A slave.
(b) Matilda's sister.
(c) Matilda's best friend.
(d) The serving girl.
2. What happened to Matilda's father?
(a) He was killed in the war.
(b) He and Matilda's mother are divorced.
(c) He fell from a ladder and died.
(d) He lives in Europe.
3. What woke up Mattie?
(a) The baby crying.
(b) The farmer yelling.
(c) The wagon stopping.
(d) Grandfather's snoring.
4. What does Mattie go to find once Grandfather has fallen asleep?
(a) A ride.
(b) A map.
(c) Water and food.
(d) A doctor.
5. In what city does Chapter 1 take place?
(a) Washington D.C.
(c) New York City.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mattie worry her mother wanted more than her?
2. Who is Mrs. Flagg?
3. Where is Mattie moved on the tenth day?
4. Who is King George?
5. What doe Mattie use to make a pillow fro Grandfather?
Short Essay Questions
1. Grandfather feels that Nathaniel Benson must do something before he will ever be able to amount to anything. What is it that he feels he should do?
2. What has Grandfather been doing while Mattie has been recovering?
3. What three things does a soldier need to fight?
4. Describe what the city looks like as Mattie and Grandfather ride the wagon through it.
5. How does Jeannine insult Mattie and her mother?
6. Describe Mattie's morning in Chapter 1.
7. What do some people in the coffeehouse suggest is causing the sickness?
8. The business at the coffeehouse has improved due to the fever therefore the Cook family has some extra money. Each member of the family has a different idea of what should be done with the money. What are their ideas?
9. What is Grandfather's response to the clerk when he suggests sending Mattie to the orphan hose?
10. What does Grandfather want Mattie to do with the money he gives her?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)