|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Grandfather promise Mrs. Flagg?
(a) A buy her dinner.
(b) A house.
(c) To take her to a ball.
(d) To marry her.
2. How would you characterize Matilda's reaction to Polly's death?
3. What does Mattie do once they get her mother upstairs in bed?
(a) She cries.
(b) She sits by her bed refusing to leave her side.
(c) She returns to work.
(d) She becomes angry.
4. When Mattie's mother begins to worry about Mattie falling ill she suggests sending her where?
(b) To Europe.
(c) To the mountains.
(d) To a friend's farm.
5. What type of lessons does Grandfather give Mattie?
(a) French lessons.
(b) Spanish lessons.
(c) Soldiering lessons.
(d) Etiquette lessons.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is King George?
2. What does Mattie daydream about?
3. How does this new person help Mrs. Cook?
4. How do the Ogilvie daughters treat Mattie?
5. Before Mattie's grandfather came to live with them what was his profession?
Short Essay Questions
1. How would you characterize Mattie's feelings toward Nathaniel Benson after reading Chapter 5?
2. The business at the coffeehouse has improved due to the fever therefore the Cook family has some extra money. Each member of the family has a different idea of what should be done with the money. What are their ideas?
3. Grandfather feels that Nathaniel Benson must do something before he will ever be able to amount to anything. What is it that he feels he should do?
4. What is Grandfather's response to the clerk when he suggests sending Mattie to the orphan hose?
5. What do Mattie and her mother argue about at the end of Chapter 3?
6. What has Grandfather been doing while Mattie has been recovering?
7. What does Grandfather want Mattie to do with the money he gives her?
8. Describe Grandfather as he leaves on the wagon.
9. What do Mattie and Grandfather learn at the newspaper office?
10. How does the author use foreshadowing to tell the reader that Colette may be ill?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)