|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Mattie Leaving?
(a) She wants to be the Ogilvie family.
(b) She decides that it is the only way she will be safe.
(c) She wants to be with Nathaniel Benson.
(d) Dr. Kerr says that it is the only way to keep her safe.
2. How did Mattie get to Bush Hill?
(a) Her grandfather carried her.
(b) She walked.
(c) Someone picked her up and dropped her off.
(d) She borrowed a horse.
3. When Mattie's mother begins to worry about Mattie falling ill she suggests sending her where?
(a) To Europe.
(c) To a friend's farm.
(d) To the mountains.
4. Who is Susannah?
(a) Mattie's cousin.
(b) A young girl going to work at the orphan house.
(c) A nurse on the wagon.
(d) Mattie's aunt.
5. How would you characterize Matilda's reaction to Polly's death?
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Polly die?
2. What does Mattie say is her chief complaint?
3. Who will stay with Mrs. Cook?
4. Where does the clerk threaten to take Mattie?
5. Where does Grandfather spend the night?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has Grandfather been doing while Mattie has been recovering?
2. What is the soldier's trick for finding water that Mattie uses?
3. What scares Mattie more than anything at the end of Chapter 12?
4. What did Grandfather find when he returned home to the coffeehouse?
5. Where does the doctor suggest that the women and children should go?
6. Why does the church bell ring twenty-one times?
7. What three things does a soldier need to fight?
8. How would you characterize Mattie's feelings toward Nathaniel Benson after reading Chapter 5?
9. Grandfather feels that Nathaniel Benson must do something before he will ever be able to amount to anything. What is it that he feels he should do?
10. What do Mattie and Grandfather learn at the newspaper office?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)