|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of meeting is Eliza attending?
(a) The Free African Society.
(b) The Society to Cure the Fever.
(c) A church meeting.
(d) The Culinary Society.
2. Why will Matilda's mother not allow Matilda to take Polly's family food?
(a) Because she wants to sell the food.
(b) Because she wants Matilda to get back to work.
(c) Because she is afraid that Matilda will become ill.
(d) Because she dislikes Polly's family.
3. What does Mattie suggest doing tomorrow?
(a) Walking towards the country.
(b) Finding a doctor.
(c) Moving their camp tomorrow to the willow tree.
(d) Finding more food.
4. What does Mattie compare the clerk to?
(a) A toad.
(b) A lion.
(c) A snake.
(d) A clown.
5. Who is dropped off in front of the coffeehouse at the end of the chapter?
(a) Mrs. Cook.
(b) Nathaniel Benson.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Polly?
2. What does King George demand from Mattie?
3. Why Eliza so important to the Coffeehouse?
4. Who do Grandfather and Eliza bring to help the next morning?
5. In what city does Chapter 1 take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Grandfather comes downstairs?
2. Why does Mattie tell Eliza all of the details about what she has been through?
3. What do Mattie and Grandfather learn at the newspaper office?
4. Why does Mrs. Bowles suggest to Mattie that she come work at the orphan house?
5. What is the soldier's trick for finding water that Mattie uses?
6. Describe Grandfather as he leaves on the wagon.
7. Does Yellow Fever still exist and if so where?
8. Why does Grandfather allow Mattie to order him to bed when they reach the coffeehouse?
9. Why does Mother Smith suggest that Mattie is doing more harm than good to Nell?
10. What three things does a soldier need to fight?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)