|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When are patients discharged?
(a) When they are strong enough to walk on their own.
(b) When they are not coughing any longer.
(c) When they are unable to pay.
(d) When they have not had a fever for 24 hours.
2. Why must Eliza go home at night?
(a) Her brother's family is expecting her.
(b) She wants to go home.
(c) She is too tired to help Mrs. Cook and Eliza.
(d) She is afraid of becoming ill.
3. Why does Mattie handle the bills and the exchange of money?
(a) Because Mattie enjoys it.
(b) Because her mother is unable to do the math.
(c) Because her mother thought that it would be a good way for Mattie to learn mathematical skills.
(d) Because her mother is too tired.
4. How do the Ogilvie daughters treat Mattie?
(a) They are nice to her.
(b) They befriend her.
(c) They are mean to her.
(d) They refuse to enter the same room.
5. What does Mattie go to find once Grandfather has fallen asleep?
(a) A doctor.
(b) A ride.
(c) A map.
(d) Water and food.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of lessons does Grandfather give Mattie?
2. When Mattie's mother inquires about Colette's health what response does she get?
3. What does Mattie suggest doing tomorrow?
4. Why does Mattie's mother make such a fuss over the invitation?
5. What do the men in the coffeehouse say that they need to find for Mattie?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Mattie's morning in Chapter 1.
2. What does Nathaniel Benson send Mattie?
3. What did Grandfather find when he returned home to the coffeehouse?
4. The business at the coffeehouse has improved due to the fever therefore the Cook family has some extra money. Each member of the family has a different idea of what should be done with the money. What are their ideas?
5. What is Grandfather's response to the clerk when he suggests sending Mattie to the orphan hose?
6. How does the author use foreshadowing to tell the reader that Colette may be ill?
7. What has Grandfather been doing while Mattie has been recovering?
8. What is the soldier's trick for finding water that Mattie uses?
9. How does Jeannine insult Mattie and her mother?
10. Why does the church bell ring twenty-one times?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)