|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why Eliza so important to the Coffeehouse?
(a) She brews the best coffee.
(b) Matilda's mother cannot cook and Eliza is an excellent cook.
(c) She handles all of the advertising.
(d) She takes care of all of the paper work.
2. Why does Mrs. Epler, the egg vendor, say that people are dying?
(a) Because they are sinners who do not attend church.
(b) Because they are dirty.
(c) Because they have bad luck.
(d) Because they are weak.
3. Now that Polly has died who is responsible for her chores?
(a) Mattie's mother.
(d) A new serving girl has been hired.
4. Who does Mattie run into while she is out of the house?
(a) Nathaniel Benson.
(b) Polly's mother.
(c) A friend of her mother's.
(d) Her former teacher.
5. What is the one thing that Mattie vows never to do?
(a) Become a teacher.
(b) Become a nurse.
(c) Become a scullery maid.
(d) Become a cook.
Short Answer Questions
1. When thinking about her grandfather, her mother and Eliza, Mattie decides that who has the most strong-headed opinions?
2. Who stays with Mattie through the night?
3. Who else is in the wagon with Mattie?
4. Why does the farmer throw Mattie and Grandfather off of the wagon?
5. What does Mattie daydream about?
Short Essay Questions
1. How would you characterize Mattie's feelings toward Nathaniel Benson after reading Chapter 5?
2. How many people have been predicted to die?
3. Has Mattie's mother always been "a tired and bitter captain"?
4. What do Mattie and her mother argue about at the end of Chapter 3?
5. Where does the doctor suggest that the women and children should go?
6. What does Grandfather want Mattie to do with the money he gives her?
7. What does Nathaniel Benson send Mattie?
8. Describe Grandfather as he leaves on the wagon.
9. Who are the horsemen that stop the wagon?
10. The business at the coffeehouse has improved due to the fever therefore the Cook family has some extra money. Each member of the family has a different idea of what should be done with the money. What are their ideas?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)