|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How often does Mattie's mother need to be bathed?
(a) Every four hours.
(b) Every two hours.
(c) Every six hours.
(d) Every eight hours.
2. What is wrong with Mattie?
(a) She has Yellow Fever.
(b) She has the chicken pox.
(c) Nothing, she is fine.
(d) She has the stomach flu.
3. Why will Matilda's mother not allow Matilda to take Polly's family food?
(a) Because she is afraid that Matilda will become ill.
(b) Because she wants to sell the food.
(c) Because she dislikes Polly's family.
(d) Because she wants Matilda to get back to work.
4. What happens to Colette at the end of Chapter 7?
(a) She collapses with the fever.
(b) She cries because she does not want to get married.
(c) She admits to being lazy and wanting to read novels all day.
(d) She storms out angrily.
5. In what city does Chapter 1 take place?
(a) Washington D.C.
(c) New York City.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Mattie and her mother get invited to go?
2. Who is Mrs. Flagg?
3. Why has Mrs. Ogilvie been lonely?
4. After reading Chapter 1 and Chapter 2 how would you characterize Matilda's relationship with her mother?
5. When are patients discharged?
Short Essay Questions
1. What three things does a soldier need to fight?
2. What does Grandfather want Mattie to do with the money he gives her?
3. Who is Mr. Stephen Girard?
4. What is Grandfather's response to the clerk when he suggests sending Mattie to the orphan hose?
5. What do Mattie and Grandfather learn at the newspaper office?
6. What do Mattie and her mother argue about at the end of Chapter 3?
7. What did Grandfather find when he returned home to the coffeehouse?
8. How many people have been predicted to die?
9. Why does Eliza feel that Philadelphia is the best city for free African Americans to live?
10. What has Grandfather been doing while Mattie has been recovering?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)