|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When are patients discharged?
(a) When they are strong enough to walk on their own.
(b) When they are not coughing any longer.
(c) When they are unable to pay.
(d) When they have not had a fever for 24 hours.
2. Why does Mattie think that the bugs are bothering them at the beginning of Chapter 11?
(a) Because of the horse.
(b) Because of the food Eliza packed.
(c) Because the baby needs a clean diaper.
(d) Because of the fever.
3. Who is leaving with Mattie?
(b) Mrs. Cook.
(c) Nathaniel Benson.
4. Where do Mattie and her grandfather go?
(a) To the market.
(b) To the newspaper office.
(c) To the hospital.
(d) To the country.
5. After reading Chapter 1 and Chapter 2 how would you characterize Matilda's relationship with her mother?
(a) Matilda and her mother are more like sisters than mother and daughter.
(b) Matilda feels like a servant.
(c) Matilda and her mother are friends.
(d) Matilda and her mother do not have a relationship.
Short Answer Questions
1. Matilda and her mother live above what type of business?
2. Why does Mattie not tell her Grandfather about her fishing experience?
3. What does Grandfather promise Mrs. Flagg?
4. What do the men in the coffeehouse say that they need to find for Mattie?
5. What does Grandfather suggest that Nathaniel Benson did at the market?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what the city looks like as Mattie and Grandfather ride the wagon through it.
2. How does Jeannine insult Mattie and her mother?
3. Grandfather feels that Nathaniel Benson must do something before he will ever be able to amount to anything. What is it that he feels he should do?
4. Why does Mrs. Bowles suggest to Mattie that she come work at the orphan house?
5. What do Mattie and Grandfather learn at the newspaper office?
6. Who is Mr. Stephen Girard?
7. How many people have been predicted to die?
8. What scares Mattie more than anything at the end of Chapter 12?
9. What did Grandfather find when he returned home to the coffeehouse?
10. Has Mattie's mother always been "a tired and bitter captain"?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)