|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When thinking about her grandfather, her mother and Eliza, Mattie decides that who has the most strong-headed opinions?
(b) They are an even match.
(d) Mrs. Cook.
2. How did Mattie get to Bush Hill?
(a) Someone picked her up and dropped her off.
(b) Her grandfather carried her.
(c) She walked.
(d) She borrowed a horse.
3. Why does the farmer throw Mattie and Grandfather off of the wagon?
(a) Because Mattie has been rude.
(b) Because Mattie has fallen ill.
(c) Because the horse cannot pull all of them.
(d) Because Grandfather has fallen ill.
4. How does Mattie reacting to leaving?
(a) She is scared.
(b) She is excited.
(c) She does not care one way or another.
(d) She is upset and does not want to be away from her mother.
5. What insult does Matilda say to her mother?
(a) She tells her she is horrid.
(b) She tells her that she is ugly.
(c) She tells her she hates her.
(d) She tells her that she is mean.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of fruit does Mattie find on her walk back to Grandfather?
2. What is causing Mattie's terrible dreams?
3. How does this new person help Mrs. Cook?
4. Why does Mattie's mother make such a fuss over the invitation?
5. Who is Mrs. Flagg?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Grandfather's response to the clerk when he suggests sending Mattie to the orphan hose?
2. Why does Eliza feel that Philadelphia is the best city for free African Americans to live?
3. What do Mattie and her mother argue about at the end of Chapter 3?
4. What scares Mattie more than anything at the end of Chapter 12?
5. How does Jeannine insult Mattie and her mother?
6. Why does Mattie distrust Dr. Rowley?
7. Why does the church bell ring twenty-one times?
8. How does Mattie try to catch fish in the stream?
9. Describe Grandfather as he leaves on the wagon.
10. Why does Mrs. Bowles suggest to Mattie that she come work at the orphan house?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)