|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does this new person help Mrs. Cook?
(a) He cuts her and lets her bleed.
(b) He prescribes antibiotics.
(c) He says that there is nothing he can do to help.
(d) He gives her a shot.
2. How does Mattie reacting to leaving?
(a) She is excited.
(b) She does not care one way or another.
(c) She is upset and does not want to be away from her mother.
(d) She is scared.
3. Where does Grandfather spend the night?
(a) Mr. Carris' house.
(b) Eliza's house.
(d) Dr. Rowley's house.
4. Who does Mattie run into while she is out of the house?
(a) Her former teacher.
(b) Polly's mother.
(c) A friend of her mother's.
(d) Nathaniel Benson.
5. At the beginning of Chapter 6 what does Mattie vow never to complain about again?
(a) Hot days.
(b) Cold days.
(c) Rainy days.
(d) Working hard.
Short Answer Questions
1. How often does Mattie's mother need to be bathed?
2. What happens to Mattie at the end of the chapter?
3. Why Eliza so important to the Coffeehouse?
4. What woke up Mattie?
5. Who is Mrs. Flagg?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jeannine insult Mattie and her mother?
2. Describe what the city looks like as Mattie and Grandfather ride the wagon through it.
3. How would you characterize Mattie's feelings toward Nathaniel Benson after reading Chapter 5?
4. How does the author use foreshadowing to tell the reader that Colette may be ill?
5. Who are the horsemen that stop the wagon?
6. What scares Mattie more than anything at the end of Chapter 12?
7. How many people have been predicted to die?
8. Describe Grandfather as he leaves on the wagon.
9. Has Mattie's mother always been "a tired and bitter captain"?
10. Why does Eliza feel that Philadelphia is the best city for free African Americans to live?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)