|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does this new person help Mrs. Cook?
(a) He says that there is nothing he can do to help.
(b) He cuts her and lets her bleed.
(c) He gives her a shot.
(d) He prescribes antibiotics.
2. What do Matilda and her mother argue about in this chapter?
(a) Matilda wants to go away to school and her mother does not want her to go.
(b) Matilda wants to go to the funeral and her mother does not want her to go.
(c) Matilda does not want to work and her mother is making her.
(d) Matilda wants a new dress and her mother says no.
3. Before Mattie's grandfather came to live with them what was his profession?
(a) He was an army captain.
(b) He was a chef.
(c) He was a carpenter.
(d) He was the captain of a ship.
4. What language are the Ogilvie children studying?
5. Where do Mattie and her grandfather go?
(a) To the market.
(b) To the country.
(c) To the newspaper office.
(d) To the hospital.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Polly?
2. Where are the Ogilvie sons?
3. What is the one thing that Mattie vows never to do?
4. Why Eliza so important to the Coffeehouse?
5. What does Mattie find for them to eat?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do some people in the coffeehouse suggest is causing the sickness?
2. What is Grandfather's response to the clerk when he suggests sending Mattie to the orphan hose?
3. Why does the church bell ring twenty-one times?
4. Why does Mattie's mother want her to leave the room?
5. Describe what the city looks like as Mattie and Grandfather ride the wagon through it.
6. The business at the coffeehouse has improved due to the fever therefore the Cook family has some extra money. Each member of the family has a different idea of what should be done with the money. What are their ideas?
7. What did Grandfather find when he returned home to the coffeehouse?
8. How does Mattie try to catch fish in the stream?
9. Where does the doctor suggest that the women and children should go?
10. How would you characterize Mattie's feelings toward Nathaniel Benson after reading Chapter 5?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)