|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the response of the customers in the coffeehouse when Mattie and her mother enter?
(a) They cheer.
(b) They continue with their business.
(c) They cry.
(d) They fall silent.
2. What does Mattie say her mother felt like?
(a) A child.
(b) A frail bird.
(c) A warm blanket.
(d) A strong ox.
3. Where do Mattie and Eliza take the children?
(a) To the orphan house.
(b) To the coffeehouse.
(c) To Bush Hill.
(d) To the market.
4. How does Mattie keep the children quiet in the morning?
(a) She threatens them.
(b) She takes them to the market.
(c) She feeds them breakfast outside.
(d) She bribes them with candy.
5. Who is Nell?
(a) A farmer at the market.
(b) A friend of the family.
(c) Mattie's neighbor.
(d) The little orphan girl that Mattie found.
6. What does Mattie do for clean clothes?
(a) Borrows some from a neighbor.
(b) Eliza brings her some.
(c) Borrows some from her mother.
(d) Sews some.
7. Who wakes Mattie up on her first morning back home?
(a) People on the street.
8. What does Mattie decide she needs at the beginning of Chapter 18?
(a) Medical attention.
(c) A bath.
(d) To open the coffee house.
9. Who comes back to town exciting all the customers?
(a) Abraham Lincoln.
(b) The circus.
(c) George Washington.
(d) The priests.
10. Where does Nell sleep?
(a) With Mattie.
(b) With the twins.
(c) With Eliza.
(d) With Mrs. Cook.
11. Where does Eliza take Mattie and Nell?
(a) To the orphan house.
(b) To her brother's home.
(c) To the coffee house.
(d) To her mother's home.
12. When is Mattie's favorite time to take a walk with Nathaniel?
(a) Late at night.
(b) Just before sundown.
(c) After lunch.
(d) In the morning.
13. How is Nell acting throughout Chapter 21?
(a) She will not stop crying.
(b) She will not let go of Mattie.
(c) She will not let Mattie touch her.
(d) She will not stop talking.
14. Who are Robert and William?
(a) Nell's brothers.
(c) The robbers.
(d) Eliza's nephews.
15. Why does Joseph not come to the coffeehouse?
(a) He is coming the next day.
(b) Because he is still ill.
(c) Because he cannot bare it.
(d) Because he does not agree with taking them to the coffee house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mattie given at the market?
2. Who is with Mrs. Cook?
3. When Eliza and Mattie get back to Joseph's what do they find?
4. Who sends Mattie, Eliza, and the children a lot of food?
5. Why does Mattie not want to wake Grandfather for help?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)