|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Joseph not come to the coffeehouse?
(a) Because he does not agree with taking them to the coffee house.
(b) He is coming the next day.
(c) Because he cannot bare it.
(d) Because he is still ill.
2. Why does Mrs. Ludington have to return to the farm?
(a) She does not enjoy the city.
(b) She promised her husband she would return quickly.
(c) Her husband is ill.
(d) She is ill.
3. Who is the first person up at the coffeehouse?
(b) Mrs. Cook.
4. What errand do the boys run?
(a) They get the sugar.
(b) They get the milk.
(c) They get the newspapers.
(d) They work in the garden.
5. How does Mattie keep the children quiet in the morning?
(a) She feeds them breakfast outside.
(b) She threatens them.
(c) She bribes them with candy.
(d) She takes them to the market.
6. What does Elza tell Mattie about Mrs. Cook?
(a) That the last time Eliza saw Mrs. Cook she was still ill.
(b) That the last time Eliza saw Mrs. Cook she was going to the market.
(c) That the last time Eliza saw Mrs. Cook she was going to meet Mattie and Grandfather at the farm.
(d) That the last time Eliza saw Mrs. Cook she was planning on staying at the coffee house until Mattie comes home.
7. When will she start her plan for the future?
(a) Next month.
(b) Next year.
(d) Next week.
8. Where do Mattie and Eliza take the children?
(a) To Bush Hill.
(b) To the coffeehouse.
(c) To the market.
(d) To the orphan house.
9. What does Mattie ask Mr. Brown to do?
(a) Help her find Eliza.
(b) Place an ad to help her find her mother.
(c) Take her home and feed her.
(d) Let her work for him.
10. Where does Eliza go in the morning?
(a) To look for Mattie's mother.
(b) To the market.
(c) To care for the sick.
(d) To the coffee house.
11. When Eliza tells Mattie that she can go home what is Mattie's response?
(a) She wants to continue working.
(b) She leaves and go to find Nathaniel.
(c) She thanks Eliza and leaves.
(d) She becomes angry at the suggestion.
12. What does Mattie find in the garden that makes her dance?
13. Where does Mattie fall asleep?
(a) On the mattress with the children.
(b) On the floor.
(c) In the garden.
(d) In the kitchen.
14. Why does Eliza become angry at the apothecary?
(a) Because there is not enough of what she needs.
(b) Because she is tired.
(c) Because the owner will not serve her.
(d) Because the prices are so high.
15. Why does Mattie not want to wake Grandfather for help?
(a) She does want to wake him.
(b) She is afraid that the robbers will attack both of them.
(c) She feels that she can handle it alone.
(d) She does not want to worry him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Joseph crying?
2. What does the messenger bring?
3. What do Grandfather and Mattie find when they walk into the coffeehouse?
4. Who does Mattie walk home with?
5. What does Eliza see when she looks at the boy's eyes?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)