|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What must Mattie do before enjoying her coffee?
(a) Fold the linens.
(b) Cook breakfast.
(c) Sweep the kitchen.
(d) Set the breakfast table.
2. Who comes back to town because of the frost?
(a) Mattie's mother.
3. Who sends Mattie, Eliza, and the children a lot of food?
(a) Mrs. Cook.
(c) The church.
4. Why does Mattie not want to wake Grandfather for help?
(a) She does want to wake him.
(b) She is afraid that the robbers will attack both of them.
(c) She does not want to worry him.
(d) She feels that she can handle it alone.
5. When was the Free African Society founded?
6. What does Mattie get from the coffeehouse for Grandfather's burial?
(a) The strongbox.
(b) The portrait of Grandmother.
(c) His clothing.
(d) His sword.
7. Who is Jean Pierre Blanchard?
(a) A lawyer.
(b) A doctor.
(c) A teacher.
(d) A french aeronaut.
8. Who has come into the coffeehouse?
(d) People wanting coffee.
9. What percent of Philadelphia's population was killed by the Yellow Fever epidemic?
10. When Eliza tells Mattie that she can go home what is Mattie's response?
(a) She thanks Eliza and leaves.
(b) She wants to continue working.
(c) She leaves and go to find Nathaniel.
(d) She becomes angry at the suggestion.
11. Why is Grandfather unable to hang his sword above the fireplace?
(a) Because his arms are shaking.
(b) Because he is afraid that it will get stolen.
(c) Because it has been stolen.
(d) Because it wants to keep on him in case he needs it.
12. One of the neighbors suggests that Mattie can find help for Nell by talking to whom?
(a) Someone at the orphan house.
(b) Reverend Allen.
(c) Mr. Brown.
(d) A nun.
13. What does Mattie do for clean clothes?
(a) Borrows some from a neighbor.
(b) Eliza brings her some.
(c) Sews some.
(d) Borrows some from her mother.
14. What do Grandfather and Mattie find when they walk into the coffeehouse?
(a) It has been looted.
(b) That is Eliza is there.
(c) That everything is just as they left it.
(d) That Mrs. Cook is back.
15. What do medical experts believe about Dr.Rush's treatments of the Yellow Fever patients?
(a) That the treatments saved many patients.
(b) They they were revolutionary.
(c) That the treatments killed many patients.
(d) That the treatments did not harm his patients.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mattie decide is the only way to find Eliza?
2. What did Mother Smith have sent to the cooperage?
3. Why is Joseph crying?
4. Who is the second person to wake up at the coffeehouse?
5. Why does Mrs. Ludington have to return to the farm?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)