|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Eliza tells Mattie that she can go home what is Mattie's response?
(a) She wants to continue working.
(b) She leaves and go to find Nathaniel.
(c) She thanks Eliza and leaves.
(d) She becomes angry at the suggestion.
2. Why does Mattie not want to wake Grandfather for help?
(a) She does not want to worry him.
(b) She feels that she can handle it alone.
(c) She does want to wake him.
(d) She is afraid that the robbers will attack both of them.
3. How is Nell acting throughout Chapter 21?
(a) She will not stop talking.
(b) She will not let go of Mattie.
(c) She will not stop crying.
(d) She will not let Mattie touch her.
4. What does Nell want from Eliza?
(a) To play.
(b) A home.
(c) A kiss.
5. What does Mattie want to deliver to the State House?
(a) Free cakes.
(c) Take-out menus.
(d) Free coffee.
6. Who does Mattie walk home with?
(a) Nathaniel Benson.
(c) Mrs. Epler.
(d) Mrs. Cook.
7. What does Mattie see when she wakes up in the garden?
(b) Her mother.
8. What does the messenger bring?
(a) A letter from Mrs. Cook.
(b) Coffee beans.
(d) News about the fever.
9. What does Mattie's mother fuss about?
(a) The boys running errands alone.
(b) Eliza working in the garden.
(c) Mattie spending time with Nathaniel.
(d) Mattie's clothes.
10. What insect spreads Yellow Fever?
(a) The wasp.
(b) The fly.
(c) The bee.
(d) The mosquito.
11. What is the one thing Mattie says Mother Smith does well?
(a) Tells stories.
(c) Care for the boys.
12. What percent of Philadelphia's population was killed by the Yellow Fever epidemic?
13. How does Mattie hurt her foot?
(a) She steps on a sharp rock trying to escape the robbers.
(b) She tripped on the stairs.
(c) She fell in the garden.
(d) She tripped on Silas.
14. What does Mattie ask Mr. Brown to do?
(a) Place an ad to help her find her mother.
(b) Let her work for him.
(c) Help her find Eliza.
(d) Take her home and feed her.
15. Why did the tall man want to catch Mattie?
(a) They are trying to kill her.
(b) They want to help her.
(c) They think that she has the fever.
(d) She will tell them where the money is hidden.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mattie demand from the gravediggers?
2. Who is with Mrs. Cook?
3. What is a cooper?
4. What must Mattie do before enjoying her coffee?
5. What is tied to the handle of the front door to the coffeehouse?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)