|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Eliza return home?
(a) By dinner.
(b) Well after midnight.
(d) She does not come home.
2. How does Mattie keep the children quiet in the morning?
(a) She threatens them.
(b) She takes them to the market.
(c) She feeds them breakfast outside.
(d) She bribes them with candy.
3. Why did the tall man want to catch Mattie?
(a) They are trying to kill her.
(b) She will tell them where the money is hidden.
(c) They think that she has the fever.
(d) They want to help her.
4. Who does Mattie plan to visit on Sunday?
(a) Mrs. Epler.
(c) Mother Smith.
(d) Polly's mother.
5. Where do Mattie and Eliza take the children?
(a) To the market.
(b) To the orphan house.
(c) To the coffeehouse.
(d) To Bush Hill.
6. Who is Nell?
(a) The little orphan girl that Mattie found.
(b) A farmer at the market.
(c) A friend of the family.
(d) Mattie's neighbor.
7. What does Mattie's mother fuss about?
(a) The boys running errands alone.
(b) Mattie spending time with Nathaniel.
(c) Eliza working in the garden.
(d) Mattie's clothes.
8. Who has come into the coffeehouse?
(b) People wanting coffee.
9. Who does Nell cry out for?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Mother Smith.
10. Why does Joseph not come to the coffeehouse?
(a) Because he does not agree with taking them to the coffee house.
(b) Because he cannot bare it.
(c) Because he is still ill.
(d) He is coming the next day.
11. What does Mattie demand from the gravediggers?
(a) That they bury him immediately.
(b) That they not bury Grandfather without a prayer.
(c) That they put the portrait with Grandfather.
(d) That they dig a separate grave for Grandfather.
12. What was Mattie dreaming about at the beginning of Chapter 19?
(a) Roast beef, vegetables, and bread.
(b) Nathaniel Benson.
(c) Bush Hill.
(d) Her mother.
13. What treatment did the doctor prescribe for Mrs. Cook?
(a) To exercise regularly.
(b) To live a life of leisure.
(c) Several medications.
(d) To get back to work.
14. When will she start her plan for the future?
(a) Next week.
(b) Next month.
(c) Next year.
15. What is a cooper?
(a) A babysitter.
(b) A barrel maker.
(c) A bread maker.
(d) A basket weaver.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mattie do for clean clothes?
2. What is the one thing Mattie says Mother Smith does well?
3. Who wakes Mattie up on her first morning back home?
4. What is proving to be a good way to get more customers to spend more money?
5. Who does Mattie think she sees when she is walking to get help for Nell?
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)