|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. One of the neighbors suggests that Mattie can find help for Nell by talking to whom?
(a) Mr. Brown.
(b) Someone at the orphan house.
(c) Reverend Allen.
(d) A nun.
2. What does Mattie find at the end of Chapter 20?
(b) A dog.
(c) An orphaned young girl.
(d) Her mother.
3. Who does Mattie walk home with?
(a) Mrs. Cook.
(b) Mrs. Epler.
(d) Nathaniel Benson.
4. Why did the tall man want to catch Mattie?
(a) She will tell them where the money is hidden.
(b) They think that she has the fever.
(c) They want to help her.
(d) They are trying to kill her.
5. Why does Eliza tell Mattie that she should eat slowly?
(a) So that Mattie will not get sick again.
(b) So that she will not enough so much.
(c) Because Eliza wants to make sure she get some.
(d) Because there is not enough food.
6. Who does Mattie think she sees when she is walking to get help for Nell?
(a) Her Grandfather.
(c) Nathaniel Benson.
(d) Her mother.
7. What did Mother Smith have sent to the cooperage?
(b) A doctor.
(c) A cart.
(d) A preacher.
8. What does Mattie ask Mr. Brown to do?
(a) Place an ad to help her find her mother.
(b) Help her find Eliza.
(c) Take her home and feed her.
(d) Let her work for him.
9. What does Mattie's mother fuss about?
(a) The boys running errands alone.
(b) Mattie spending time with Nathaniel.
(c) Mattie's clothes.
(d) Eliza working in the garden.
10. What is a cooper?
(a) A bread maker.
(b) A babysitter.
(c) A barrel maker.
(d) A basket weaver.
11. When Eliza and Mattie get back to Joseph's what do they find?
(a) Mrs. Cook is there waiting for them.
(b) Robbers have come and stolen everything.
(c) Joseph is sick again.
(d) The twins and Nell have fallen ill.
12. What do medical experts believe about Dr.Rush's treatments of the Yellow Fever patients?
(a) That the treatments saved many patients.
(b) They they were revolutionary.
(c) That the treatments killed many patients.
(d) That the treatments did not harm his patients.
13. Who is Nell?
(a) Mattie's neighbor.
(b) A friend of the family.
(c) The little orphan girl that Mattie found.
(d) A farmer at the market.
14. Who are Robert and William?
(a) Eliza's nephews.
(b) Nell's brothers.
(d) The robbers.
15. What do Grandfather and Mattie find when they look upstairs?
(a) It has been looted.
(b) That Mrs. Cook is back.
(c) That Eliza is back.
(d) Everything is just as they left it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mattie decide is the only way to find Eliza?
2. Who is the first person up at the coffeehouse?
3. How does Mattie keep the children out of the kitchen when she and Eliza are cooking?
4. Who is Jean Pierre Blanchard?
5. How does Mattie keep the children quiet in the morning?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)