|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How regularly did Mattie bathe before the fever?
(c) Every other day.
2. What was Mattie dreaming about at the beginning of Chapter 19?
(a) Nathaniel Benson.
(b) Bush Hill.
(c) Roast beef, vegetables, and bread.
(d) Her mother.
3. What does Mattie decide is the only way to find Eliza?
(a) She places an ad in the paper.
(b) She yells, "Eliza!" as loud as possible into the street.
(c) She goes door to door.
(d) She posts posters.
4. What does Mattie decide she needs at the beginning of Chapter 18?
(a) A bath.
(c) To open the coffee house.
(d) Medical attention.
5. When is Mattie's favorite time to take a walk with Nathaniel?
(a) After lunch.
(b) Just before sundown.
(c) Late at night.
(d) In the morning.
6. When does Eliza return home?
(a) Well after midnight.
(b) She does not come home.
(d) By dinner.
7. Who offers to design the handbill?
(a) A customer at the coffee house.
8. What does Mattie find in the garden that makes her dance?
9. What do medical experts believe about Dr.Rush's treatments of the Yellow Fever patients?
(a) They they were revolutionary.
(b) That the treatments killed many patients.
(c) That the treatments saved many patients.
(d) That the treatments did not harm his patients.
10. How does Mattie keep the children out of the kitchen when she and Eliza are cooking?
(a) She threatens them.
(b) She gives them the butter churn.
(c) She gives them crayons.
(d) She gives them snacks.
11. What is the significance of Washington Square?
(a) It is where many fever victims are buried.
(b) It is where Washington is buried.
(c) It is where Washington died.
(d) There is no signifigance.
12. Where does Eliza go in the morning?
(a) To the market.
(b) To care for the sick.
(c) To the coffee house.
(d) To look for Mattie's mother.
13. When was the Free African Society founded?
14. What does Mattie do for clean clothes?
(a) Borrows some from her mother.
(b) Borrows some from a neighbor.
(c) Eliza brings her some.
(d) Sews some.
15. What did Mother Smith have sent to the cooperage?
(a) A doctor.
(b) A cart.
(c) A preacher.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elza tell Mattie about Mrs. Cook?
2. What do Grandfather and Mattie find when they look upstairs?
3. What wakes Mattie?
4. To whom is Mattie referring when she says, "Here is a familiar face,"?
5. Who is Nell?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)