|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Mattie fall asleep?
(a) On the mattress with the children.
(b) In the kitchen.
(c) In the garden.
(d) On the floor.
2. What does Elza tell Mattie about Mrs. Cook?
(a) That the last time Eliza saw Mrs. Cook she was planning on staying at the coffee house until Mattie comes home.
(b) That the last time Eliza saw Mrs. Cook she was still ill.
(c) That the last time Eliza saw Mrs. Cook she was going to meet Mattie and Grandfather at the farm.
(d) That the last time Eliza saw Mrs. Cook she was going to the market.
3. Who does Nell cry out for?
(a) Her mother.
(d) Mother Smith.
4. What is most difficult for Mattie about helping Eliza?
(a) The smell.
(b) The heartache.
(c) The sounds.
(d) The sights.
5. What must Mattie do before enjoying her coffee?
(a) Set the breakfast table.
(b) Fold the linens.
(c) Sweep the kitchen.
(d) Cook breakfast.
6. Who does Mattie walk home with?
(b) Nathaniel Benson.
(c) Mrs. Cook.
(d) Mrs. Epler.
7. What do medical experts believe about Dr.Rush's treatments of the Yellow Fever patients?
(a) That the treatments did not harm his patients.
(b) That the treatments killed many patients.
(c) That the treatments saved many patients.
(d) They they were revolutionary.
8. When will she start her plan for the future?
(b) Next year.
(c) Next week.
(d) Next month.
9. What is the response of the customers in the coffeehouse when Mattie and her mother enter?
(a) They cry.
(b) They continue with their business.
(c) They cheer.
(d) They fall silent.
10. What does Mattie see when she wakes up in the garden?
(b) Her mother.
11. What is the one thing Mattie says Mother Smith does well?
(b) Tells stories.
(c) Care for the boys.
12. Who is Nell?
(a) Mattie's neighbor.
(b) A friend of the family.
(c) The little orphan girl that Mattie found.
(d) A farmer at the market.
13. Who is with Mrs. Cook?
(a) Mrs. Ludington.
(b) Mrs. Epler.
(c) Mother Smith.
14. What does Eliza see when she looks at the boy's eyes?
(a) They are blood-shot and yellow-stained.
(b) They will not open.
(c) They are watering.
(d) They are normal.
15. What does Mattie find in the garden that makes her dance?
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom is Mattie referring when she says, "Here is a familiar face,"?
2. When was the Free African Society founded?
3. What does Mattie ask Mr. Brown to do?
4. Why does Joseph not come to the coffeehouse?
5. What does Mattie decide she needs at the beginning of Chapter 18?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)