|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Eliza become angry at the apothecary?
(a) Because there is not enough of what she needs.
(b) Because she is tired.
(c) Because the prices are so high.
(d) Because the owner will not serve her.
2. How does Mattie keep the children out of the kitchen when she and Eliza are cooking?
(a) She gives them crayons.
(b) She threatens them.
(c) She gives them snacks.
(d) She gives them the butter churn.
3. What does the messenger bring?
(b) Coffee beans.
(c) A letter from Mrs. Cook.
(d) News about the fever.
4. What is a cooper?
(a) A babysitter.
(b) A bread maker.
(c) A basket weaver.
(d) A barrel maker.
5. How does Mattie hurt her foot?
(a) She tripped on Silas.
(b) She steps on a sharp rock trying to escape the robbers.
(c) She tripped on the stairs.
(d) She fell in the garden.
6. What does Mattie get from the coffeehouse for Grandfather's burial?
(a) His sword.
(b) The strongbox.
(c) The portrait of Grandmother.
(d) His clothing.
7. What is most difficult for Mattie about helping Eliza?
(a) The sounds.
(b) The sights.
(c) The heartache.
(d) The smell.
8. What does Mattie find at the end of Chapter 20?
(a) A dog.
(b) An orphaned young girl.
(d) Her mother.
9. What must Mattie do before enjoying her coffee?
(a) Fold the linens.
(b) Cook breakfast.
(c) Sweep the kitchen.
(d) Set the breakfast table.
10. What does Mattie ask Mr. Brown to do?
(a) Place an ad to help her find her mother.
(b) Take her home and feed her.
(c) Help her find Eliza.
(d) Let her work for him.
11. How does Mattie keep the children quiet in the morning?
(a) She bribes them with candy.
(b) She feeds them breakfast outside.
(c) She threatens them.
(d) She takes them to the market.
12. Where does Eliza take Mattie and Nell?
(a) To the coffee house.
(b) To her mother's home.
(c) To the orphan house.
(d) To her brother's home.
13. How does Mattie react when she is reunited with Eliza?
(a) She laughs.
(b) She cries and cries in Eliza's arms.
(c) She faints.
(d) She runs away.
14. Who is with Mrs. Cook?
(a) Mrs. Epler.
(b) Mrs. Ludington.
(d) Mother Smith.
15. Where does Eliza go in the morning?
(a) To look for Mattie's mother.
(b) To the market.
(c) To care for the sick.
(d) To the coffee house.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the second person to wake up at the coffeehouse?
2. What is proving to be a good way to get more customers to spend more money?
3. One of the neighbors suggests that Mattie can find help for Nell by talking to whom?
4. How does Mattie escape the drunken soldier?
5. What does Mattie see when she wakes up in the garden?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)