|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Joseph crying?
(a) Because they have nothing left.
(b) Because the children are sick.
(c) Because he is tired.
(d) Because he misses his wife.
2. How does Mattie keep the children out of the kitchen when she and Eliza are cooking?
(a) She gives them crayons.
(b) She gives them the butter churn.
(c) She gives them snacks.
(d) She threatens them.
3. What is most difficult for Mattie about helping Eliza?
(a) The sounds.
(b) The sights.
(c) The smell.
(d) The heartache.
4. Who is Joseph?
(a) The farmer at the market.
(b) Eliza's husband.
(c) Eliza's brother.
(d) Nell's father.
5. To whom is Mattie referring when she says, "Here is a familiar face,"?
(c) King George.
6. Who else returns at the end of Chapter 28?
(a) Mother smith.
(b) Mrs. Flagg.
(c) Mrs. Cook.
7. What does Eliza see when she looks at the boy's eyes?
(a) They will not open.
(b) They are watering.
(c) They are blood-shot and yellow-stained.
(d) They are normal.
8. What do Grandfather and Mattie find when they walk into the coffeehouse?
(a) It has been looted.
(b) That is Eliza is there.
(c) That Mrs. Cook is back.
(d) That everything is just as they left it.
9. What wakes Mattie?
(b) Heavy footsteps outside the window.
10. How many people does Mr.Brown tell Mattie have died?
(a) Five thousand.
(b) Three thousand.
(c) One thousand.
(d) Five hundred.
11. How does Mattie keep the children quiet in the morning?
(a) She takes them to the market.
(b) She feeds them breakfast outside.
(c) She threatens them.
(d) She bribes them with candy.
12. What does Mattie want to deliver to the State House?
(a) Free cakes.
(b) Free coffee.
(c) Take-out menus.
13. What does the messenger bring?
(a) News about the fever.
(b) Coffee beans.
(c) A letter from Mrs. Cook.
14. Who are Robert and William?
(a) Nell's brothers.
(c) Eliza's nephews.
(d) The robbers.
15. What does Mattie see when she wakes up in the garden?
(c) Her mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Nell cry out for?
2. Where do Mattie and Eliza place the mattress?
3. What is tied to the handle of the front door to the coffeehouse?
4. What errand do the boys run?
5. Who is Jean Pierre Blanchard?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)