|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Mattie and Eliza take the children?
(a) To the coffeehouse.
(b) To the orphan house.
(c) To Bush Hill.
(d) To the market.
2. What percent of Philadelphia's population was killed by the Yellow Fever epidemic?
3. What is tied to the handle of the front door to the coffeehouse?
(a) A newspaper.
(b) A notice about the fever.
(d) A yellow piece of fabric.
4. What does Mattie do for clean clothes?
(a) Borrows some from a neighbor.
(b) Borrows some from her mother.
(c) Sews some.
(d) Eliza brings her some.
5. Who else returns at the end of Chapter 28?
(b) Mrs. Cook.
(c) Mother smith.
(d) Mrs. Flagg.
6. What does Elza tell Mattie about Mrs. Cook?
(a) That the last time Eliza saw Mrs. Cook she was going to meet Mattie and Grandfather at the farm.
(b) That the last time Eliza saw Mrs. Cook she was still ill.
(c) That the last time Eliza saw Mrs. Cook she was planning on staying at the coffee house until Mattie comes home.
(d) That the last time Eliza saw Mrs. Cook she was going to the market.
7. When Eliza tells Mattie that she can go home what is Mattie's response?
(a) She becomes angry at the suggestion.
(b) She leaves and go to find Nathaniel.
(c) She thanks Eliza and leaves.
(d) She wants to continue working.
8. Who are Robert and William?
(b) Eliza's nephews.
(c) Nell's brothers.
(d) The robbers.
9. Where does Eliza take Mattie and Nell?
(a) To the coffee house.
(b) To the orphan house.
(c) To her brother's home.
(d) To her mother's home.
10. What does Mattie demand from the gravediggers?
(a) That they bury him immediately.
(b) That they put the portrait with Grandfather.
(c) That they not bury Grandfather without a prayer.
(d) That they dig a separate grave for Grandfather.
11. How regularly did Mattie bathe before the fever?
(b) Every other day.
12. How does Mattie keep the children out of the kitchen when she and Eliza are cooking?
(a) She gives them crayons.
(b) She threatens them.
(c) She gives them snacks.
(d) She gives them the butter churn.
13. One of the neighbors suggests that Mattie can find help for Nell by talking to whom?
(a) Reverend Allen.
(b) Someone at the orphan house.
(c) A nun.
(d) Mr. Brown.
14. What do Grandfather and Mattie find when they walk into the coffeehouse?
(a) That everything is just as they left it.
(b) That is Eliza is there.
(c) It has been looted.
(d) That Mrs. Cook is back.
15. Who comes back to town because of the frost?
(d) Mattie's mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has come into the coffeehouse?
2. How many people does Mr.Brown tell Mattie have died?
3. What does Mattie ask Mr. Brown to do?
4. Where do Mattie and Eliza place the mattress?
5. What does Eliza see when she looks at the boy's eyes?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)