|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mattie say her mother felt like?
(a) A frail bird.
(b) A child.
(c) A strong ox.
(d) A warm blanket.
2. Why does Eliza become angry at the apothecary?
(a) Because she is tired.
(b) Because there is not enough of what she needs.
(c) Because the owner will not serve her.
(d) Because the prices are so high.
3. How does Mattie keep the children out of the kitchen when she and Eliza are cooking?
(a) She gives them crayons.
(b) She gives them the butter churn.
(c) She gives them snacks.
(d) She threatens them.
4. What do Grandfather and Mattie find when they walk into the coffeehouse?
(a) That everything is just as they left it.
(b) That is Eliza is there.
(c) It has been looted.
(d) That Mrs. Cook is back.
5. What does Elza tell Mattie about Mrs. Cook?
(a) That the last time Eliza saw Mrs. Cook she was planning on staying at the coffee house until Mattie comes home.
(b) That the last time Eliza saw Mrs. Cook she was still ill.
(c) That the last time Eliza saw Mrs. Cook she was going to the market.
(d) That the last time Eliza saw Mrs. Cook she was going to meet Mattie and Grandfather at the farm.
6. What does Mattie want to deliver to the State House?
(b) Free coffee.
(c) Take-out menus.
(d) Free cakes.
7. Why does Joseph not come to the coffeehouse?
(a) Because he is still ill.
(b) Because he does not agree with taking them to the coffee house.
(c) He is coming the next day.
(d) Because he cannot bare it.
8. What is the significance of Washington Square?
(a) It is where Washington died.
(b) It is where Washington is buried.
(c) It is where many fever victims are buried.
(d) There is no signifigance.
9. Who is the second person to wake up at the coffeehouse?
(b) Mrs. cook.
10. What must Mattie do before enjoying her coffee?
(a) Cook breakfast.
(b) Fold the linens.
(c) Sweep the kitchen.
(d) Set the breakfast table.
11. Where does Mattie fall asleep?
(a) In the kitchen.
(b) On the floor.
(c) On the mattress with the children.
(d) In the garden.
12. Why is Joseph crying?
(a) Because the children are sick.
(b) Because he is tired.
(c) Because they have nothing left.
(d) Because he misses his wife.
13. What insect spreads Yellow Fever?
(a) The wasp.
(b) The mosquito.
(c) The bee.
(d) The fly.
14. What does Mattie's mother fuss about?
(a) Mattie spending time with Nathaniel.
(b) The boys running errands alone.
(c) Eliza working in the garden.
(d) Mattie's clothes.
15. Why is Grandfather unable to hang his sword above the fireplace?
(a) Because it has been stolen.
(b) Because it wants to keep on him in case he needs it.
(c) Because his arms are shaking.
(d) Because he is afraid that it will get stolen.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mattie ask Mr. Brown to do?
2. Who is Jean Pierre Blanchard?
3. Who sends Mattie, Eliza, and the children a lot of food?
4. One of the neighbors suggests that Mattie can find help for Nell by talking to whom?
5. What does Eliza see when she looks at the boy's eyes?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)