|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mattie escape the drunken soldier?
(a) A policeman arrests him.
(b) Another soldier helps her.
(c) Nell bites him.
(d) She uses the sword.
2. Where do Mattie and Eliza place the mattress?
(a) In the garden.
(b) On the floor.
(c) In the kitchen.
(d) On the tables.
3. When was the Free African Society founded?
4. Why is Grandfather unable to hang his sword above the fireplace?
(a) Because he is afraid that it will get stolen.
(b) Because his arms are shaking.
(c) Because it wants to keep on him in case he needs it.
(d) Because it has been stolen.
5. What is the response of the customers in the coffeehouse when Mattie and her mother enter?
(a) They cheer.
(b) They cry.
(c) They continue with their business.
(d) They fall silent.
6. What errand do the boys run?
(a) They get the sugar.
(b) They get the newspapers.
(c) They get the milk.
(d) They work in the garden.
7. What wakes Mattie?
(d) Heavy footsteps outside the window.
8. What is a cooper?
(a) A barrel maker.
(b) A bread maker.
(c) A basket weaver.
(d) A babysitter.
9. What insect spreads Yellow Fever?
(a) The bee.
(b) The fly.
(c) The wasp.
(d) The mosquito.
10. What does Nell want from Eliza?
(a) A home.
(c) A kiss.
(d) To play.
11. When Eliza tells Mattie that she can go home what is Mattie's response?
(a) She wants to continue working.
(b) She thanks Eliza and leaves.
(c) She becomes angry at the suggestion.
(d) She leaves and go to find Nathaniel.
12. Why does Mattie not want to wake Grandfather for help?
(a) She is afraid that the robbers will attack both of them.
(b) She feels that she can handle it alone.
(c) She does want to wake him.
(d) She does not want to worry him.
13. One of the neighbors suggests that Mattie can find help for Nell by talking to whom?
(a) Reverend Allen.
(b) Mr. Brown.
(c) A nun.
(d) Someone at the orphan house.
14. Why is Joseph crying?
(a) Because the children are sick.
(b) Because he misses his wife.
(c) Because he is tired.
(d) Because they have nothing left.
15. What does Mattie decide she needs at the beginning of Chapter 18?
(a) Medical attention.
(c) A bath.
(d) To open the coffee house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the significance of Washington Square?
2. When will she start her plan for the future?
3. What does Mattie find at the end of Chapter 20?
4. What treatment did the doctor prescribe for Mrs. Cook?
5. How does Mattie help the man pushing the cart?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)