|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did the tall man want to catch Mattie?
(a) They think that she has the fever.
(b) She will tell them where the money is hidden.
(c) They want to help her.
(d) They are trying to kill her.
2. Who does Nell cry out for?
(a) Her mother.
(c) Mother Smith.
3. Why is Joseph crying?
(a) Because he is tired.
(b) Because the children are sick.
(c) Because they have nothing left.
(d) Because he misses his wife.
4. Where do Mattie and Eliza place the mattress?
(a) In the kitchen.
(b) In the garden.
(c) On the tables.
(d) On the floor.
5. Why does Mrs. Ludington have to return to the farm?
(a) Her husband is ill.
(b) She does not enjoy the city.
(c) She promised her husband she would return quickly.
(d) She is ill.
6. Who are Robert and William?
(a) The robbers.
(b) Eliza's nephews.
(c) Nell's brothers.
7. Why does Eliza tell Mattie that she should eat slowly?
(a) So that she will not enough so much.
(b) Because there is not enough food.
(c) Because Eliza wants to make sure she get some.
(d) So that Mattie will not get sick again.
8. What do Grandfather and Mattie find when they look upstairs?
(a) Everything is just as they left it.
(b) That Mrs. Cook is back.
(c) That Eliza is back.
(d) It has been looted.
9. When Eliza tells Mattie that she can go home what is Mattie's response?
(a) She leaves and go to find Nathaniel.
(b) She becomes angry at the suggestion.
(c) She thanks Eliza and leaves.
(d) She wants to continue working.
10. Where does Nell sleep?
(a) With Eliza.
(b) With the twins.
(c) With Mrs. Cook.
(d) With Mattie.
11. What is tied to the handle of the front door to the coffeehouse?
(a) A notice about the fever.
(b) A yellow piece of fabric.
(c) A newspaper.
12. What must Mattie do before enjoying her coffee?
(a) Cook breakfast.
(b) Set the breakfast table.
(c) Fold the linens.
(d) Sweep the kitchen.
13. What does Nell want from Eliza?
(a) To play.
(b) A home.
(d) A kiss.
14. When Eliza and Mattie get back to Joseph's what do they find?
(a) Mrs. Cook is there waiting for them.
(b) The twins and Nell have fallen ill.
(c) Joseph is sick again.
(d) Robbers have come and stolen everything.
15. Why does Joseph not come to the coffeehouse?
(a) Because he does not agree with taking them to the coffee house.
(b) Because he cannot bare it.
(c) He is coming the next day.
(d) Because he is still ill.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mattie given at the market?
2. What did Mother Smith have sent to the cooperage?
3. What does Mattie decide is the only way to find Eliza?
4. What is the response of the customers in the coffeehouse when Mattie and her mother enter?
5. When was the Free African Society founded?
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)