|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Eliza return home?
(a) She does not come home.
(b) Well after midnight.
(d) By dinner.
2. What is Mattie given at the market?
(a) Some bread.
(b) A pumpkin.
(d) Two hens and some eggs.
3. What does Mattie find at the end of Chapter 20?
(b) A dog.
(c) Her mother.
(d) An orphaned young girl.
4. What is the response of the customers in the coffeehouse when Mattie and her mother enter?
(a) They cheer.
(b) They continue with their business.
(c) They cry.
(d) They fall silent.
5. When will she start her plan for the future?
(a) Next year.
(c) Next week.
(d) Next month.
6. What is the significance of Washington Square?
(a) It is where many fever victims are buried.
(b) It is where Washington is buried.
(c) It is where Washington died.
(d) There is no signifigance.
7. Who sends Mattie, Eliza, and the children a lot of food?
(a) Mrs. Cook.
(d) The church.
8. Why does Joseph not come to the coffeehouse?
(a) Because he does not agree with taking them to the coffee house.
(b) Because he is still ill.
(c) He is coming the next day.
(d) Because he cannot bare it.
9. How does Mattie keep the children quiet in the morning?
(a) She takes them to the market.
(b) She feeds them breakfast outside.
(c) She threatens them.
(d) She bribes them with candy.
10. When was the Free African Society founded?
11. What is Grandfather's contribution to dinner?
(b) Hot tea.
(d) A salad.
12. Who is in charge when Eliza is away?
(b) Mother Smith.
(d) No one.
13. What do Grandfather and Mattie find when they walk into the coffeehouse?
(a) It has been looted.
(b) That Mrs. Cook is back.
(c) That everything is just as they left it.
(d) That is Eliza is there.
14. What does Elza tell Mattie about Mrs. Cook?
(a) That the last time Eliza saw Mrs. Cook she was still ill.
(b) That the last time Eliza saw Mrs. Cook she was going to the market.
(c) That the last time Eliza saw Mrs. Cook she was going to meet Mattie and Grandfather at the farm.
(d) That the last time Eliza saw Mrs. Cook she was planning on staying at the coffee house until Mattie comes home.
15. What is proving to be a good way to get more customers to spend more money?
(a) Nathaniel's art.
(b) Free samples.
(c) More options.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mattie find in the garden that makes her dance?
2. What insect spreads Yellow Fever?
3. When Eliza and Mattie get back to Joseph's what do they find?
4. Where does Nell sleep?
5. Where do Mattie and Eliza take the children?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)