|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is with Mrs. Cook?
(b) Mrs. Ludington.
(c) Mrs. Epler.
(d) Mother Smith.
2. What treatment did the doctor prescribe for Mrs. Cook?
(a) To exercise regularly.
(b) To get back to work.
(c) To live a life of leisure.
(d) Several medications.
3. Where does Nell sleep?
(a) With Eliza.
(b) With Mrs. Cook.
(c) With the twins.
(d) With Mattie.
4. Who does Mattie walk home with?
(a) Mrs. Cook.
(b) Mrs. Epler.
(c) Nathaniel Benson.
5. Who comes back to town exciting all the customers?
(a) The priests.
(b) The circus.
(c) George Washington.
(d) Abraham Lincoln.
6. What has Mattie decided to do with her future?
(a) Reopen the coffeehouse.
(b) Marry Nathaniel.
(c) Become a maid.
(d) Go to school.
7. What does Mattie ask Mr. Brown to do?
(a) Place an ad to help her find her mother.
(b) Let her work for him.
(c) Take her home and feed her.
(d) Help her find Eliza.
8. Why is Joseph crying?
(a) Because he is tired.
(b) Because they have nothing left.
(c) Because he misses his wife.
(d) Because the children are sick.
9. How does Mattie react when she is reunited with Eliza?
(a) She cries and cries in Eliza's arms.
(b) She runs away.
(c) She faints.
(d) She laughs.
10. Where does Eliza go in the morning?
(a) To the market.
(b) To care for the sick.
(c) To the coffee house.
(d) To look for Mattie's mother.
11. What does Mattie see when she wakes up in the garden?
(a) Her mother.
12. When Eliza tells Mattie that she can go home what is Mattie's response?
(a) She leaves and go to find Nathaniel.
(b) She thanks Eliza and leaves.
(c) She becomes angry at the suggestion.
(d) She wants to continue working.
13. What does Mattie want to deliver to the State House?
(a) Take-out menus.
(b) Free cakes.
(d) Free coffee.
14. Why does Eliza become angry at the apothecary?
(a) Because the owner will not serve her.
(b) Because the prices are so high.
(c) Because there is not enough of what she needs.
(d) Because she is tired.
15. What is most difficult for Mattie about helping Eliza?
(a) The smell.
(b) The sounds.
(c) The heartache.
(d) The sights.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mattie think she sees when she is walking to get help for Nell?
2. When does Eliza return home?
3. Why is Grandfather unable to hang his sword above the fireplace?
4. Who wakes Mattie up on her first morning back home?
5. How does Mattie hurt her foot?
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)