|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What treatment did the doctor prescribe for Mrs. Cook?
(a) To get back to work.
(b) To live a life of leisure.
(c) Several medications.
(d) To exercise regularly.
2. What does Mattie ask Mr. Brown to do?
(a) Take her home and feed her.
(b) Place an ad to help her find her mother.
(c) Let her work for him.
(d) Help her find Eliza.
3. Why does Joseph not come to the coffeehouse?
(a) Because he is still ill.
(b) Because he does not agree with taking them to the coffee house.
(c) Because he cannot bare it.
(d) He is coming the next day.
4. What does Mattie get from the coffeehouse for Grandfather's burial?
(a) The strongbox.
(b) His sword.
(c) The portrait of Grandmother.
(d) His clothing.
5. To whom is Mattie referring when she says, "Here is a familiar face,"?
(a) King George.
6. What is the significance of Washington Square?
(a) There is no signifigance.
(b) It is where Washington is buried.
(c) It is where many fever victims are buried.
(d) It is where Washington died.
7. How does Mattie keep the children quiet in the morning?
(a) She bribes them with candy.
(b) She takes them to the market.
(c) She feeds them breakfast outside.
(d) She threatens them.
8. Who is with Mrs. Cook?
(a) Mrs. Epler.
(c) Mother Smith.
(d) Mrs. Ludington.
9. How does Mattie escape the drunken soldier?
(a) She uses the sword.
(b) Another soldier helps her.
(c) A policeman arrests him.
(d) Nell bites him.
10. What is the one thing Mattie says Mother Smith does well?
(b) Care for the boys.
(d) Tells stories.
11. What does Mattie decide she needs at the beginning of Chapter 18?
(a) Medical attention.
(c) To open the coffee house.
(d) A bath.
12. What is proving to be a good way to get more customers to spend more money?
(a) Free samples.
(b) More options.
(c) Nathaniel's art.
13. How does Mattie keep the children out of the kitchen when she and Eliza are cooking?
(a) She gives them snacks.
(b) She threatens them.
(c) She gives them crayons.
(d) She gives them the butter churn.
14. What is a cooper?
(a) A bread maker.
(b) A babysitter.
(c) A basket weaver.
(d) A barrel maker.
15. Who are Robert and William?
(a) Nell's brothers.
(b) Eliza's nephews.
(d) The robbers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Eliza become angry at the apothecary?
2. Who is Jean Pierre Blanchard?
3. What did Mother Smith have sent to the cooperage?
4. At the end of chapter 17 what does Mattie do?
5. Who is in charge when Eliza is away?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)