|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Eliza take Mattie and Nell?
(a) To the coffee house.
(b) To her mother's home.
(c) To the orphan house.
(d) To her brother's home.
2. How does Mattie help the man pushing the cart?
(a) She takes one of the handles.
(b) She fixes the cart.
(c) She does not help.
(d) She gets a man from the street to help.
3. At the end of chapter 17 what does Mattie do?
(a) Offer up a prayer of Thanksgiving.
(b) Go to the market to buy food.
(c) Wash Silas.
4. Who offers to design the handbill?
(b) A customer at the coffee house.
5. Who is Jean Pierre Blanchard?
(a) A doctor.
(b) A lawyer.
(c) A teacher.
(d) A french aeronaut.
6. How does Mattie hurt her foot?
(a) She steps on a sharp rock trying to escape the robbers.
(b) She tripped on the stairs.
(c) She fell in the garden.
(d) She tripped on Silas.
7. One of the neighbors suggests that Mattie can find help for Nell by talking to whom?
(a) Someone at the orphan house.
(b) Mr. Brown.
(c) A nun.
(d) Reverend Allen.
8. How does Mattie keep the children out of the kitchen when she and Eliza are cooking?
(a) She threatens them.
(b) She gives them snacks.
(c) She gives them the butter churn.
(d) She gives them crayons.
9. Who sends Mattie, Eliza, and the children a lot of food?
(a) The church.
(b) Mrs. Cook.
10. What does Nell want from Eliza?
(b) To play.
(c) A kiss.
(d) A home.
11. Who comes back to town exciting all the customers?
(a) George Washington.
(b) Abraham Lincoln.
(c) The circus.
(d) The priests.
12. What was keeping Mattie's mother from resting while she was in the country?
(a) She needed a doctor.
(b) She was worried about the coffee house.
(c) She was looking for Mattie.
(d) She was uncomfortable.
13. When Eliza tells Mattie that she can go home what is Mattie's response?
(a) She wants to continue working.
(b) She becomes angry at the suggestion.
(c) She thanks Eliza and leaves.
(d) She leaves and go to find Nathaniel.
14. Who does Nell cry out for?
(a) Mother Smith.
(b) Her mother.
15. What did Mother Smith have sent to the cooperage?
(a) A cart.
(c) A preacher.
(d) A doctor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What insect spreads Yellow Fever?
2. How regularly did Mattie bathe before the fever?
3. What is proving to be a good way to get more customers to spend more money?
4. Where do Mattie and Eliza take the children?
5. What was Mattie dreaming about at the beginning of Chapter 19?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)