|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Mattie plan to visit on Sunday?
(a) Mother Smith.
(b) Mrs. Epler.
(c) Polly's mother.
2. Why is Grandfather unable to hang his sword above the fireplace?
(a) Because his arms are shaking.
(b) Because it has been stolen.
(c) Because he is afraid that it will get stolen.
(d) Because it wants to keep on him in case he needs it.
3. How does Mattie keep the children quiet in the morning?
(a) She takes them to the market.
(b) She bribes them with candy.
(c) She threatens them.
(d) She feeds them breakfast outside.
4. Who will be her partner?
(d) Mother Smith.
5. What is proving to be a good way to get more customers to spend more money?
(a) Nathaniel's art.
(b) Free samples.
(c) More options.
6. What does the messenger bring?
(a) Coffee beans.
(b) A letter from Mrs. Cook.
(c) News about the fever.
7. Who are Robert and William?
(b) The robbers.
(c) Eliza's nephews.
(d) Nell's brothers.
8. What is a cooper?
(a) A babysitter.
(b) A bread maker.
(c) A barrel maker.
(d) A basket weaver.
9. To whom is Mattie referring when she says, "Here is a familiar face,"?
(a) King George.
10. Who does Nell cry out for?
(b) Her mother.
(c) Mother Smith.
11. What is most difficult for Mattie about helping Eliza?
(a) The smell.
(b) The sounds.
(c) The sights.
(d) The heartache.
12. Where do Mattie and Eliza take the children?
(a) To the coffeehouse.
(b) To the market.
(c) To Bush Hill.
(d) To the orphan house.
13. When is Mattie's favorite time to take a walk with Nathaniel?
(a) After lunch.
(b) Late at night.
(c) In the morning.
(d) Just before sundown.
14. How many people does Mr.Brown tell Mattie have died?
(a) Three thousand.
(b) One thousand.
(c) Five hundred.
(d) Five thousand.
15. Why does Mrs. Ludington have to return to the farm?
(a) Her husband is ill.
(b) She does not enjoy the city.
(c) She is ill.
(d) She promised her husband she would return quickly.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who else returns at the end of Chapter 28?
2. What does Mattie find in the garden that makes her dance?
3. What does Mattie find at the end of Chapter 20?
4. How is Nell acting throughout Chapter 21?
5. What does Mattie see when she wakes up in the garden?
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)