|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What errand do the boys run?
(a) They get the sugar.
(b) They get the milk.
(c) They get the newspapers.
(d) They work in the garden.
2. What did Mother Smith have sent to the cooperage?
(a) A preacher.
(b) A doctor.
(d) A cart.
3. When was the Free African Society founded?
4. What does Mattie ask Mr. Brown to do?
(a) Let her work for him.
(b) Place an ad to help her find her mother.
(c) Help her find Eliza.
(d) Take her home and feed her.
5. What was Mattie dreaming about at the beginning of Chapter 19?
(a) Roast beef, vegetables, and bread.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Nathaniel Benson.
(d) Bush Hill.
6. What does Mattie want to deliver to the State House?
(a) Free coffee.
(b) Free cakes.
(d) Take-out menus.
7. What does Mattie's mother fuss about?
(a) Mattie's clothes.
(b) Mattie spending time with Nathaniel.
(c) The boys running errands alone.
(d) Eliza working in the garden.
8. Who is Nell?
(a) Mattie's neighbor.
(b) A farmer at the market.
(c) The little orphan girl that Mattie found.
(d) A friend of the family.
9. Who is the second person to wake up at the coffeehouse?
(d) Mrs. cook.
10. How does Mattie keep the children out of the kitchen when she and Eliza are cooking?
(a) She threatens them.
(b) She gives them crayons.
(c) She gives them the butter churn.
(d) She gives them snacks.
11. Who comes back to town because of the frost?
(a) Mattie's mother.
12. Where does Nell sleep?
(a) With Mattie.
(b) With Mrs. Cook.
(c) With Eliza.
(d) With the twins.
13. What does Mattie decide is the only way to find Eliza?
(a) She goes door to door.
(b) She yells, "Eliza!" as loud as possible into the street.
(c) She places an ad in the paper.
(d) She posts posters.
14. What do Grandfather and Mattie find when they look upstairs?
(a) It has been looted.
(b) That Mrs. Cook is back.
(c) Everything is just as they left it.
(d) That Eliza is back.
15. Who wakes Mattie up on her first morning back home?
(b) People on the street.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mattie fall asleep?
2. What does Mattie find in the garden that makes her dance?
3. Why is Grandfather unable to hang his sword above the fireplace?
4. Who comes back to town exciting all the customers?
5. What does the messenger bring?
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)