|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was keeping Mattie's mother from resting while she was in the country?
(a) She needed a doctor.
(b) She was looking for Mattie.
(c) She was worried about the coffee house.
(d) She was uncomfortable.
2. One of the neighbors suggests that Mattie can find help for Nell by talking to whom?
(a) Mr. Brown.
(b) Reverend Allen.
(c) Someone at the orphan house.
(d) A nun.
3. What does Mattie demand from the gravediggers?
(a) That they dig a separate grave for Grandfather.
(b) That they put the portrait with Grandfather.
(c) That they not bury Grandfather without a prayer.
(d) That they bury him immediately.
4. What is Mattie given at the market?
(b) Some bread.
(c) Two hens and some eggs.
(d) A pumpkin.
5. Why is Joseph crying?
(a) Because he is tired.
(b) Because he misses his wife.
(c) Because the children are sick.
(d) Because they have nothing left.
6. What does Mattie's mother fuss about?
(a) Mattie's clothes.
(b) The boys running errands alone.
(c) Mattie spending time with Nathaniel.
(d) Eliza working in the garden.
7. Why is Grandfather unable to hang his sword above the fireplace?
(a) Because it wants to keep on him in case he needs it.
(b) Because he is afraid that it will get stolen.
(c) Because his arms are shaking.
(d) Because it has been stolen.
8. What was Mattie dreaming about at the beginning of Chapter 19?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Nathaniel Benson.
(c) Bush Hill.
(d) Roast beef, vegetables, and bread.
9. Why does Mattie not want to wake Grandfather for help?
(a) She feels that she can handle it alone.
(b) She is afraid that the robbers will attack both of them.
(c) She does want to wake him.
(d) She does not want to worry him.
10. What do Grandfather and Mattie find when they look upstairs?
(a) That Mrs. Cook is back.
(b) Everything is just as they left it.
(c) That Eliza is back.
(d) It has been looted.
11. When does Eliza return home?
(a) She does not come home.
(b) Well after midnight.
(c) By dinner.
12. What is the significance of Washington Square?
(a) There is no signifigance.
(b) It is where Washington died.
(c) It is where Washington is buried.
(d) It is where many fever victims are buried.
13. Who has come into the coffeehouse?
(d) People wanting coffee.
14. What insect spreads Yellow Fever?
(a) The wasp.
(b) The mosquito.
(c) The bee.
(d) The fly.
15. How does Mattie react when she is reunited with Eliza?
(a) She laughs.
(b) She cries and cries in Eliza's arms.
(c) She faints.
(d) She runs away.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who will be her partner?
2. What is Grandfather's contribution to dinner?
3. What wakes Mattie?
4. Who comes back to town exciting all the customers?
5. What do Grandfather and Mattie find when they walk into the coffeehouse?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)