|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long have Mattie and Grandfather gone?
(a) 5 days.
(b) 6 days.
(c) 7 days.
(d) 8 days.
2. Who does Grandfather compare Mattie to?
(b) Her mother, Mrs. Cook.
3. Who is Susannah?
(a) Mattie's cousin.
(b) A nurse on the wagon.
(c) Mattie's aunt.
(d) A young girl going to work at the orphan house.
4. What does Mattie suggest doing tomorrow?
(a) Moving their camp tomorrow to the willow tree.
(b) Finding a doctor.
(c) Walking towards the country.
(d) Finding more food.
5. Why has Mrs. Ogilvie been lonely?
(a) All of her friends have gone to the country because of the fever.
(b) She has never had any friends.
(c) All of her friends are angry with her.
(d) All of her friends have moved away.
6. What does Mattie do once they get her mother upstairs in bed?
(a) She cries.
(b) She becomes angry.
(c) She sits by her bed refusing to leave her side.
(d) She returns to work.
7. What do Matilda and her mother argue about in this chapter?
(a) Matilda wants to go to the funeral and her mother does not want her to go.
(b) Matilda wants a new dress and her mother says no.
(c) Matilda does not want to work and her mother is making her.
(d) Matilda wants to go away to school and her mother does not want her to go.
8. Who is Mrs. Flagg?
(a) Eliza's friend.
(b) A friend of the family.
(c) A woman on the farm.
(d) The nurse that has been caring for her.
9. Who is Dr. Rowley?
(a) The doctor who helped Colette.
(b) A doctor that has been called in to look at Mrs. Cook.
(c) A well respected doctor in town.
(d) A doctor working with the mayor to stop the spread of the fever.
10. What does Mattie find for them to eat?
11. How does Mattie reacting to leaving?
(a) She is scared.
(b) She is excited.
(c) She does not care one way or another.
(d) She is upset and does not want to be away from her mother.
12. What type of lessons does Grandfather give Mattie?
(a) Soldiering lessons.
(b) Spanish lessons.
(c) Etiquette lessons.
(d) French lessons.
13. What do the men in the coffeehouse say that they need to find for Mattie?
(a) Some more friends.
(b) A husband.
(c) A new job.
(d) Some new clothes.
14. What does Mattie worry her mother wanted more than her?
(c) Her father.
(d) A servant.
15. Who else is in the wagon with Mattie?
(a) No one.
(b) 5 prisoners.
(c) 5 orphans.
(d) 5 dignitaries.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is causing Mattie's terrible dreams?
2. Why does Grandfather not wake up?
3. Where is Mattie moved on the tenth day?
4. In what city does Chapter 1 take place?
5. How would you characterize Matilda's reaction to Polly's death?
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)