|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How often does Mattie's mother need to be bathed?
(a) Every two hours.
(b) Every six hours.
(c) Every eight hours.
(d) Every four hours.
2. Why must Eliza go home at night?
(a) Her brother's family is expecting her.
(b) She is afraid of becoming ill.
(c) She is too tired to help Mrs. Cook and Eliza.
(d) She wants to go home.
3. What do Matilda and her mother argue about in this chapter?
(a) Matilda does not want to work and her mother is making her.
(b) Matilda wants to go to the funeral and her mother does not want her to go.
(c) Matilda wants a new dress and her mother says no.
(d) Matilda wants to go away to school and her mother does not want her to go.
4. At the beginning of Chapter 7 Mattie's mother pays her a compliment. What does she tell her?
(a) That she is pretty.
(b) That she is funny.
(c) That she is smart.
(d) That she is a wonderful daughter.
5. Who do Grandfather and Eliza bring to help the next morning?
(a) Dr. Rowley.
(b) The mayor.
(c) Mr. Carris
(d) Dr. Kerr.
6. What woke up Mattie?
(a) Grandfather's snoring.
(b) The baby crying.
(c) The wagon stopping.
(d) The farmer yelling.
7. Where is Mattie moved on the tenth day?
(a) To a field.
(b) To a wagon.
(c) To the barn.
8. Why is Mattie Leaving?
(a) Dr. Kerr says that it is the only way to keep her safe.
(b) She wants to be the Ogilvie family.
(c) She wants to be with Nathaniel Benson.
(d) She decides that it is the only way she will be safe.
9. What does Mattie daydream about?
(a) Nathaniel Benson.
(b) Her mother coming back and being proud of Mattie.
10. What does Mattie go to find once Grandfather has fallen asleep?
(a) Water and food.
(b) A map.
(c) A doctor.
(d) A ride.
11. Who is King George?
(a) A dog.
(b) A cat.
(c) The king of England.
(d) A parrot.
12. What does Grandfather suggest that Nathaniel Benson did at the market?
(a) Stole some eggs.
(b) Acted inappropriately.
(c) Bought some meat below fourth street.
(d) Knocked over a stand spilling produce.
13. Who is Polly?
(a) Matilda's sister.
(b) Matilda's best friend.
(c) The serving girl.
(d) A slave.
14. Where do Mattie and her mother get invited to go?
(a) To a party at the Oglivies' home.
(b) To Polly's funeral.
(c) To have tea at the Ogilvies' home.
(d) To a meeting for business owners.
15. Why has business increased at the coffeehouse over the past week?
(a) People are doing more of their business inland, away from the river, due to fear of disease.
(b) People are celebrating.
(c) People want to eat out instead of eating at home for safety.
(d) People are stocking up in case they have to stay home for several days.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the Ogilvie daughters treat Mattie?
2. What happened to Matilda's father?
3. Why has Mrs. Ogilvie been lonely?
4. What does King George demand from Mattie?
5. What does Matilda believe has made her mother so bitter?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)