|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Grandfather not wake up?
(a) He does wake up.
(b) Because he was in such a deep sleep.
(c) Because he has died.
(d) Because he is sick.
2. Why does Mrs. Epler, the egg vendor, say that people are dying?
(a) Because they are sinners who do not attend church.
(b) Because they are dirty.
(c) Because they are weak.
(d) Because they have bad luck.
3. Who is Dr. Rowley?
(a) A doctor working with the mayor to stop the spread of the fever.
(b) The doctor who helped Colette.
(c) A well respected doctor in town.
(d) A doctor that has been called in to look at Mrs. Cook.
4. Where do Mattie and her grandfather go?
(a) To the market.
(b) To the newspaper office.
(c) To the country.
(d) To the hospital.
5. How long have Mattie and Grandfather gone?
(a) 7 days.
(b) 5 days.
(c) 8 days.
(d) 6 days.
6. Who is leaving with Mattie?
(a) Nathaniel Benson.
(d) Mrs. Cook.
7. Who else is in the wagon with Mattie?
(a) 5 dignitaries.
(b) 5 orphans.
(c) 5 prisoners.
(d) No one.
8. Who do Grandfather and Eliza bring to help the next morning?
(a) Mr. Carris
(b) Dr. Rowley.
(c) The mayor.
(d) Dr. Kerr.
9. How do the Ogilvie daughters treat Mattie?
(a) They are nice to her.
(b) They refuse to enter the same room.
(c) They befriend her.
(d) They are mean to her.
10. Where does Grandfather spend the night?
(b) Eliza's house.
(c) Mr. Carris' house.
(d) Dr. Rowley's house.
11. What does Mattie suggest doing tomorrow?
(a) Finding a doctor.
(b) Finding more food.
(c) Moving their camp tomorrow to the willow tree.
(d) Walking towards the country.
12. What is Bush Hill?
(a) A school.
(b) A base camp for the army.
(c) A mansion that has been turned into a hospital.
(d) A prison.
13. Under which famous political figure did Mattie's grandfather serve?
(a) Thomas Jefferson.
(b) George Bush.
(c) George Washington.
(d) Benjamin Franklin.
14. How often does Mattie's mother need to be bathed?
(a) Every two hours.
(b) Every six hours.
(c) Every four hours.
(d) Every eight hours.
15. After reading Chapter 1 and Chapter 2 how would you characterize Matilda's relationship with her mother?
(a) Matilda and her mother are more like sisters than mother and daughter.
(b) Matilda and her mother are friends.
(c) Matilda and her mother do not have a relationship.
(d) Matilda feels like a servant.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does this new person help Mrs. Cook?
2. What doe Mattie use to make a pillow fro Grandfather?
3. How does Mattie reacting to leaving?
4. Why must Eliza go home at night?
5. Why does Grandfather think that he is a fool?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)