|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who stays with Mattie through the night?
(a) Dr. Rowley.
(c) She is alone.
2. What type of meeting is Eliza attending?
(a) The Culinary Society.
(b) The Free African Society.
(c) The Society to Cure the Fever.
(d) A church meeting.
3. What does Mattie worry her mother wanted more than her?
(a) A servant.
(d) Her father.
4. Who does Grandfather compare Mattie to?
(d) Her mother, Mrs. Cook.
5. How did Polly die?
(a) She was run down by a horse.
(b) She has been sick for a long time.
(c) She was struck by a sudden fever.
(d) She drowned.
6. Before Mattie's grandfather came to live with them what was his profession?
(a) He was a chef.
(b) He was a carpenter.
(c) He was the captain of a ship.
(d) He was an army captain.
7. What does Mattie daydream about?
(c) Her mother coming back and being proud of Mattie.
(d) Nathaniel Benson.
8. Matilda and her mother live above what type of business?
(a) A General Store.
(b) A Blacksmith.
(c) A Coffeehouse.
(d) A Shoemaker.
9. How does Mattie reacting to leaving?
(a) She does not care one way or another.
(b) She is scared.
(c) She is upset and does not want to be away from her mother.
(d) She is excited.
10. How often does Mattie's mother need to be bathed?
(a) Every two hours.
(b) Every four hours.
(c) Every six hours.
(d) Every eight hours.
11. How long have Mattie and Grandfather gone?
(a) 6 days.
(b) 5 days.
(c) 8 days.
(d) 7 days.
12. When thinking about her grandfather, her mother and Eliza, Mattie decides that who has the most strong-headed opinions?
(c) They are an even match.
(d) Mrs. Cook.
13. What is the one thing that Mattie vows never to do?
(a) Become a nurse.
(b) Become a cook.
(c) Become a teacher.
(d) Become a scullery maid.
14. Why will Matilda's mother not allow Matilda to take Polly's family food?
(a) Because she wants Matilda to get back to work.
(b) Because she is afraid that Matilda will become ill.
(c) Because she wants to sell the food.
(d) Because she dislikes Polly's family.
15. When Mattie's mother inquires about Colette's health what response does she get?
(a) She does not get a response.
(b) Colette's health has not changed.
(c) Colette's health is worsening.
(d) Colette's health is improving.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mattie say is her chief complaint?
2. What happened to Matilda's father?
3. Where does the clerk threaten to take Mattie?
4. What does Mrs. Bowles suggest to Mattie?
5. Why does the farmer throw Mattie and Grandfather off of the wagon?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)