|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Grandfather compare Mattie to?
(a) Her mother, Mrs. Cook.
2. How long have Mattie and Grandfather gone?
(a) 5 days.
(b) 6 days.
(c) 7 days.
(d) 8 days.
3. When are patients discharged?
(a) When they have not had a fever for 24 hours.
(b) When they are unable to pay.
(c) When they are not coughing any longer.
(d) When they are strong enough to walk on their own.
4. What wakes Mattie up at the beginning of Chapter 13?
(b) A mockingbird.
(c) King George.
(d) A crow.
5. Who is Susannah?
(a) A nurse on the wagon.
(b) Mattie's aunt.
(c) A young girl going to work at the orphan house.
(d) Mattie's cousin.
6. Who is Dr. Rowley?
(a) A doctor working with the mayor to stop the spread of the fever.
(b) The doctor who helped Colette.
(c) A doctor that has been called in to look at Mrs. Cook.
(d) A well respected doctor in town.
7. What does Mattie do once they get her mother upstairs in bed?
(a) She becomes angry.
(b) She sits by her bed refusing to leave her side.
(c) She cries.
(d) She returns to work.
8. What does Grandfather promise Mrs. Flagg?
(a) A buy her dinner.
(b) A house.
(c) To take her to a ball.
(d) To marry her.
9. What is Bush Hill?
(a) A prison.
(b) A school.
(c) A base camp for the army.
(d) A mansion that has been turned into a hospital.
10. What happened to Matilda's father?
(a) He lives in Europe.
(b) He and Matilda's mother are divorced.
(c) He was killed in the war.
(d) He fell from a ladder and died.
11. What type of fruit does Mattie find on her walk back to Grandfather?
12. Who is Mrs. Flagg?
(a) The nurse that has been caring for her.
(b) A friend of the family.
(c) A woman on the farm.
(d) Eliza's friend.
13. Who is dropped off in front of the coffeehouse at the end of the chapter?
(c) Mrs. Cook.
(d) Nathaniel Benson.
14. After reading Chapter 1 and Chapter 2 how would you characterize Matilda's relationship with her mother?
(a) Matilda and her mother do not have a relationship.
(b) Matilda and her mother are more like sisters than mother and daughter.
(c) Matilda feels like a servant.
(d) Matilda and her mother are friends.
15. How does Mattie feel about the invitation?
(a) She is afraid of catching the fever.
(b) She does not want to go.
(c) She does not want to go.
(d) She is excited.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Grandfather not wake up?
2. What insult does Matilda say to her mother?
3. What does Grandfather suggest that Nathaniel Benson did at the market?
4. When Mattie leaves her bed for the first time alone where does she go?
5. What type of lessons does Grandfather give Mattie?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)