|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How often does Mattie's mother need to be bathed?
(a) Every four hours.
(b) Every six hours.
(c) Every two hours.
(d) Every eight hours.
2. What does Mattie do to keep herself from crying?
(a) She takes deep breathes.
(b) She does not stop herself.
(c) She bites the inside of her cheek.
(d) She counts to ten.
3. What does King George demand from Mattie?
(a) Tea and rum.
(b) Bacon and eggs.
(c) Bread and berries.
(d) To go home.
4. Who is dropped off in front of the coffeehouse at the end of the chapter?
(a) Mrs. Cook.
(d) Nathaniel Benson.
5. What is Bush Hill?
(a) A prison.
(b) A base camp for the army.
(c) A school.
(d) A mansion that has been turned into a hospital.
6. What do the men in the coffeehouse say that they need to find for Mattie?
(a) A husband.
(b) Some new clothes.
(c) Some more friends.
(d) A new job.
7. What is wrong with Mattie?
(a) She has the stomach flu.
(b) Nothing, she is fine.
(c) She has Yellow Fever.
(d) She has the chicken pox.
8. Why Eliza so important to the Coffeehouse?
(a) She brews the best coffee.
(b) Matilda's mother cannot cook and Eliza is an excellent cook.
(c) She takes care of all of the paper work.
(d) She handles all of the advertising.
9. At the beginning of Chapter 6 what does Mattie vow never to complain about again?
(a) Rainy days.
(b) Cold days.
(c) Working hard.
(d) Hot days.
10. Where is Mattie allowed to go when she leaves the house?
(a) To the river for a swim.
(b) To see her friend Nathaniel Benson.
(c) The blacksmith's to talk to Matthew.
(d) The market for supplies for the coffeehouse.
11. What doe Mattie use to make a pillow fro Grandfather?
(a) Pine straw.
(b) Her clothes.
(c) Timothy grass.
12. After reading Chapter 1 and Chapter 2 how would you characterize Matilda's relationship with her mother?
(a) Matilda feels like a servant.
(b) Matilda and her mother are friends.
(c) Matilda and her mother are more like sisters than mother and daughter.
(d) Matilda and her mother do not have a relationship.
13. What does Mattie say is her chief complaint?
(a) She is dizzy.
(b) Her head hurts.
(c) She is lonely.
(d) She is hungry.
14. What does Grandfather suggest that Nathaniel Benson did at the market?
(a) Acted inappropriately.
(b) Knocked over a stand spilling produce.
(c) Bought some meat below fourth street.
(d) Stole some eggs.
15. How do the Ogilvie daughters treat Mattie?
(a) They befriend her.
(b) They are nice to her.
(c) They refuse to enter the same room.
(d) They are mean to her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who stays with Mattie through the night?
2. What does Matilda believe has made her mother so bitter?
3. What language are the Ogilvie children studying?
4. When thinking about her grandfather, her mother and Eliza, Mattie decides that who has the most strong-headed opinions?
5. What woke up Mattie?
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)