|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Susannah?
(a) A young girl going to work at the orphan house.
(b) A nurse on the wagon.
(c) Mattie's aunt.
(d) Mattie's cousin.
2. Why does Grandfather think that he is a fool?
(a) For trusting the farmer.
(b) For bringing King George along.
(c) For bringing Mattie to the country.
(d) For not paying more attention to the fever and not listening to Mattie's mother..
3. Who is Mrs. Flagg?
(a) A friend of the family.
(b) The nurse that has been caring for her.
(c) A woman on the farm.
(d) Eliza's friend.
4. What happened to Matilda's father?
(a) He was killed in the war.
(b) He lives in Europe.
(c) He and Matilda's mother are divorced.
(d) He fell from a ladder and died.
5. Who is leaving with Mattie?
(b) Mrs. Cook.
(d) Nathaniel Benson.
6. At the beginning of Chapter 6 what does Mattie vow never to complain about again?
(a) Hot days.
(b) Working hard.
(c) Rainy days.
(d) Cold days.
7. Who does Grandfather compare Mattie to?
(d) Her mother, Mrs. Cook.
8. Who is Polly?
(a) A slave.
(b) Matilda's best friend.
(c) Matilda's sister.
(d) The serving girl.
9. How do the Ogilvie daughters treat Mattie?
(a) They are mean to her.
(b) They are nice to her.
(c) They befriend her.
(d) They refuse to enter the same room.
10. What does Mattie suggest doing tomorrow?
(a) Walking towards the country.
(b) Moving their camp tomorrow to the willow tree.
(c) Finding a doctor.
(d) Finding more food.
11. Why does Mattie not tell her Grandfather about her fishing experience?
(a) She does not want to share the fish she caught.
(b) Because she does not want to share her secret way of catching fish.
(c) She does not want to admit defeat.
(d) She does not want to make him feel more hunger by thinking of fish.
12. Why does Mattie think that the bugs are bothering them at the beginning of Chapter 11?
(a) Because of the horse.
(b) Because the baby needs a clean diaper.
(c) Because of the food Eliza packed.
(d) Because of the fever.
13. When Mattie's mother inquires about Colette's health what response does she get?
(a) Colette's health is improving.
(b) Colette's health is worsening.
(c) She does not get a response.
(d) Colette's health has not changed.
14. Before Mattie's grandfather came to live with them what was his profession?
(a) He was a chef.
(b) He was an army captain.
(c) He was the captain of a ship.
(d) He was a carpenter.
15. What is Bush Hill?
(a) A mansion that has been turned into a hospital.
(b) A base camp for the army.
(c) A prison.
(d) A school.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Mattie's mother begins to worry about Mattie falling ill she suggests sending her where?
2. What do the men in the coffeehouse say that they need to find for Mattie?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 7 Mattie's mother pays her a compliment. What does she tell her?
4. Why must Eliza go home at night?
5. What does Matilda believe has made her mother so bitter?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)