|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What woke up Mattie?
(a) The baby crying.
(b) The farmer yelling.
(c) Grandfather's snoring.
(d) The wagon stopping.
2. When Mattie's mother inquires about Colette's health what response does she get?
(a) She does not get a response.
(b) Colette's health has not changed.
(c) Colette's health is worsening.
(d) Colette's health is improving.
3. How many people have died in the city within the first week of the fever?
4. What does Mrs. Bowles suggest to Mattie?
(a) That she goes back to Bush Hill.
(b) That she goes back to school.
(c) That she reopens the coffee house.
(d) That she works at the orphan house.
5. How did Mattie get to Bush Hill?
(a) Her grandfather carried her.
(b) Someone picked her up and dropped her off.
(c) She borrowed a horse.
(d) She walked.
6. Matilda and her mother live above what type of business?
(a) A Blacksmith.
(b) A Shoemaker.
(c) A Coffeehouse.
(d) A General Store.
7. Who is King George?
(a) A cat.
(b) A dog.
(c) A parrot.
(d) The king of England.
8. What does Mattie do once they get her mother upstairs in bed?
(a) She cries.
(b) She sits by her bed refusing to leave her side.
(c) She returns to work.
(d) She becomes angry.
9. What happens to Mattie at the end of the chapter?
(a) She trips and breaks her leg.
(b) She becomes ill and passes out.
(c) She catches fish.
(d) She decides to stay at the farm.
10. What does Mattie suggest doing tomorrow?
(a) Walking towards the country.
(b) Finding a doctor.
(c) Moving their camp tomorrow to the willow tree.
(d) Finding more food.
11. How does this new person help Mrs. Cook?
(a) He says that there is nothing he can do to help.
(b) He prescribes antibiotics.
(c) He cuts her and lets her bleed.
(d) He gives her a shot.
12. When Mattie leaves her bed for the first time alone where does she go?
(a) To find her Grandfather.
(b) To get something to eat.
(c) To the bathroom.
(d) To find Nathaniel.
13. Why will Matilda's mother not allow Matilda to take Polly's family food?
(a) Because she wants Matilda to get back to work.
(b) Because she is afraid that Matilda will become ill.
(c) Because she wants to sell the food.
(d) Because she dislikes Polly's family.
14. What insult does Matilda say to her mother?
(a) She tells her she hates her.
(b) She tells her she is horrid.
(c) She tells her that she is mean.
(d) She tells her that she is ugly.
15. Who is Susannah?
(a) A nurse on the wagon.
(b) A young girl going to work at the orphan house.
(c) Mattie's aunt.
(d) Mattie's cousin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is causing Mattie's terrible dreams?
2. Why does Mattie think that the bugs are bothering them at the beginning of Chapter 11?
3. Who do Grandfather and Eliza bring to help the next morning?
4. Why does Mattie's mother make such a fuss over the invitation?
5. What type of meeting is Eliza attending?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)