|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 6 what does Mattie vow never to complain about again?
(a) Working hard.
(b) Hot days.
(c) Rainy days.
(d) Cold days.
2. What does Mattie worry her mother wanted more than her?
(c) Her father.
(d) A servant.
3. How many people have died in the city within the first week of the fever?
4. What does Grandfather promise Mrs. Flagg?
(a) A house.
(b) To take her to a ball.
(c) A buy her dinner.
(d) To marry her.
5. What type of meeting is Eliza attending?
(a) The Free African Society.
(b) The Culinary Society.
(c) A church meeting.
(d) The Society to Cure the Fever.
6. What happens to Colette at the end of Chapter 7?
(a) She storms out angrily.
(b) She collapses with the fever.
(c) She admits to being lazy and wanting to read novels all day.
(d) She cries because she does not want to get married.
7. Why does Mattie think that the bugs are bothering them at the beginning of Chapter 11?
(a) Because the baby needs a clean diaper.
(b) Because of the fever.
(c) Because of the food Eliza packed.
(d) Because of the horse.
8. Who is Susannah?
(a) Mattie's aunt.
(b) A nurse on the wagon.
(c) Mattie's cousin.
(d) A young girl going to work at the orphan house.
9. Who is Mrs. Flagg?
(a) Eliza's friend.
(b) The nurse that has been caring for her.
(c) A woman on the farm.
(d) A friend of the family.
10. What does Mattie suggest doing tomorrow?
(a) Finding more food.
(b) Moving their camp tomorrow to the willow tree.
(c) Finding a doctor.
(d) Walking towards the country.
11. Where is Mattie allowed to go when she leaves the house?
(a) The market for supplies for the coffeehouse.
(b) The blacksmith's to talk to Matthew.
(c) To the river for a swim.
(d) To see her friend Nathaniel Benson.
12. What doe Mattie use to make a pillow fro Grandfather?
(b) Her clothes.
(c) Pine straw.
(d) Timothy grass.
13. What does King George demand from Mattie?
(a) Bacon and eggs.
(b) Tea and rum.
(c) To go home.
(d) Bread and berries.
14. Why will Matilda's mother not allow Matilda to take Polly's family food?
(a) Because she dislikes Polly's family.
(b) Because she is afraid that Matilda will become ill.
(c) Because she wants to sell the food.
(d) Because she wants Matilda to get back to work.
15. What does Mrs. Bowles suggest to Mattie?
(a) That she reopens the coffee house.
(b) That she goes back to Bush Hill.
(c) That she goes back to school.
(d) That she works at the orphan house.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who stays with Mattie through the night?
2. What do Matilda and her mother argue about in this chapter?
3. What happens to Mattie at the end of the chapter?
4. Why did Eliza want Mattie to cut her some asparagus grass?
5. How often does Mattie's mother need to be bathed?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)