|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Grandfather compare Mattie to?
(b) Her mother, Mrs. Cook.
2. When are patients discharged?
(a) When they are unable to pay.
(b) When they are not coughing any longer.
(c) When they have not had a fever for 24 hours.
(d) When they are strong enough to walk on their own.
3. What do Matilda and her mother argue about in this chapter?
(a) Matilda wants to go away to school and her mother does not want her to go.
(b) Matilda does not want to work and her mother is making her.
(c) Matilda wants to go to the funeral and her mother does not want her to go.
(d) Matilda wants a new dress and her mother says no.
4. What does Mattie go to find once Grandfather has fallen asleep?
(a) Water and food.
(b) A map.
(c) A doctor.
(d) A ride.
5. What does Mattie find for them to eat?
6. What happens to Colette at the end of Chapter 7?
(a) She cries because she does not want to get married.
(b) She admits to being lazy and wanting to read novels all day.
(c) She collapses with the fever.
(d) She storms out angrily.
7. Where is Mattie allowed to go when she leaves the house?
(a) To see her friend Nathaniel Benson.
(b) To the river for a swim.
(c) The blacksmith's to talk to Matthew.
(d) The market for supplies for the coffeehouse.
8. What does Mrs. Bowles suggest to Mattie?
(a) That she goes back to Bush Hill.
(b) That she goes back to school.
(c) That she reopens the coffee house.
(d) That she works at the orphan house.
9. Why does Grandfather think that he is a fool?
(a) For bringing King George along.
(b) For bringing Mattie to the country.
(c) For not paying more attention to the fever and not listening to Mattie's mother..
(d) For trusting the farmer.
10. Where are the Ogilvie sons?
(a) At war.
(b) At a meeting with the mayor.
(c) Away at school.
(d) In the country.
11. What type of fruit does Mattie find on her walk back to Grandfather?
12. Why did Eliza want Mattie to cut her some asparagus grass?
(a) To eat for a snack.
(b) To add to the soup she was making.
(c) To help kill germs.
(d) To keep the flies away from her.
13. Who is leaving with Mattie?
(a) Nathaniel Benson.
(b) Mrs. Cook.
14. How does Mattie reacting to leaving?
(a) She is excited.
(b) She does not care one way or another.
(c) She is upset and does not want to be away from her mother.
(d) She is scared.
15. Why does Mattie's mother make such a fuss over the invitation?
(a) Because she does not want to go.
(b) Because she wants to be friends with Mrs. Ogilvie.
(c) Because she is afraid of catching the fever.
(d) Because Edward Ogilvie is a potential husband for Mattie.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mattie compare the clerk to?
2. How did Polly die?
3. What does Matilda believe has made her mother so bitter?
4. What doe Mattie use to make a pillow fro Grandfather?
5. What wakes Mattie up at the beginning of Chapter 13?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)