|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long have Mattie and Grandfather gone?
(a) 7 days.
(b) 5 days.
(c) 8 days.
(d) 6 days.
2. Who is Mrs. Flagg?
(a) The nurse that has been caring for her.
(b) A friend of the family.
(c) A woman on the farm.
(d) Eliza's friend.
3. Why does Grandfather not wake up?
(a) Because he is sick.
(b) Because he has died.
(c) Because he was in such a deep sleep.
(d) He does wake up.
4. Why has Mrs. Ogilvie been lonely?
(a) All of her friends are angry with her.
(b) She has never had any friends.
(c) All of her friends have moved away.
(d) All of her friends have gone to the country because of the fever.
5. What does Mattie daydream about?
(a) Her mother coming back and being proud of Mattie.
(d) Nathaniel Benson.
6. Who does Grandfather compare Mattie to?
(b) Her mother, Mrs. Cook.
7. Where do Mattie and her grandfather go?
(a) To the market.
(b) To the newspaper office.
(c) To the hospital.
(d) To the country.
8. Why does Mattie handle the bills and the exchange of money?
(a) Because her mother is too tired.
(b) Because her mother is unable to do the math.
(c) Because Mattie enjoys it.
(d) Because her mother thought that it would be a good way for Mattie to learn mathematical skills.
9. Who is Dr. Rowley?
(a) The doctor who helped Colette.
(b) A well respected doctor in town.
(c) A doctor working with the mayor to stop the spread of the fever.
(d) A doctor that has been called in to look at Mrs. Cook.
10. Why does Mattie not tell her Grandfather about her fishing experience?
(a) She does not want to make him feel more hunger by thinking of fish.
(b) She does not want to admit defeat.
(c) Because she does not want to share her secret way of catching fish.
(d) She does not want to share the fish she caught.
11. How often does Mattie's mother need to be bathed?
(a) Every four hours.
(b) Every eight hours.
(c) Every two hours.
(d) Every six hours.
12. In what city does Chapter 1 take place?
(a) New York City.
(d) Washington D.C.
13. Who is Polly?
(a) Matilda's best friend.
(b) A slave.
(c) Matilda's sister.
(d) The serving girl.
14. Where does Grandfather spend the night?
(a) Eliza's house.
(b) Mr. Carris' house.
(d) Dr. Rowley's house.
15. What type of meeting is Eliza attending?
(a) The Free African Society.
(b) The Society to Cure the Fever.
(c) The Culinary Society.
(d) A church meeting.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Epler, the egg vendor, say that people are dying?
2. After reading Chapter 1 and Chapter 2 how would you characterize Matilda's relationship with her mother?
3. How did Mattie get to Bush Hill?
4. What doe Mattie use to make a pillow fro Grandfather?
5. Where is Mattie allowed to go when she leaves the house?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)