|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the one thing that Mattie vows never to do?
(a) Become a cook.
(b) Become a scullery maid.
(c) Become a nurse.
(d) Become a teacher.
2. What does Mrs. Bowles suggest to Mattie?
(a) That she works at the orphan house.
(b) That she goes back to Bush Hill.
(c) That she reopens the coffee house.
(d) That she goes back to school.
3. Why does Mattie think that the bugs are bothering them at the beginning of Chapter 11?
(a) Because of the fever.
(b) Because of the food Eliza packed.
(c) Because the baby needs a clean diaper.
(d) Because of the horse.
4. Why does Grandfather think that he is a fool?
(a) For bringing Mattie to the country.
(b) For trusting the farmer.
(c) For not paying more attention to the fever and not listening to Mattie's mother..
(d) For bringing King George along.
5. Why does Mattie not tell her Grandfather about her fishing experience?
(a) She does not want to admit defeat.
(b) She does not want to share the fish she caught.
(c) She does not want to make him feel more hunger by thinking of fish.
(d) Because she does not want to share her secret way of catching fish.
6. What do the men in the coffeehouse say that they need to find for Mattie?
(a) A new job.
(b) Some new clothes.
(c) Some more friends.
(d) A husband.
7. Where does Grandfather spend the night?
(a) Dr. Rowley's house.
(c) Eliza's house.
(d) Mr. Carris' house.
8. Who else is in the wagon with Mattie?
(a) No one.
(b) 5 orphans.
(c) 5 prisoners.
(d) 5 dignitaries.
9. What language are the Ogilvie children studying?
10. When Mattie leaves her bed for the first time alone where does she go?
(a) To the bathroom.
(b) To find Nathaniel.
(c) To get something to eat.
(d) To find her Grandfather.
11. What doe Mattie use to make a pillow fro Grandfather?
(a) Her clothes.
(b) Pine straw.
(d) Timothy grass.
12. What does Mattie worry her mother wanted more than her?
(a) Her father.
(b) A servant.
13. What type of meeting is Eliza attending?
(a) The Culinary Society.
(b) The Free African Society.
(c) A church meeting.
(d) The Society to Cure the Fever.
14. What does Grandfather suggest that Nathaniel Benson did at the market?
(a) Bought some meat below fourth street.
(b) Knocked over a stand spilling produce.
(c) Stole some eggs.
(d) Acted inappropriately.
15. How long have Mattie and Grandfather gone?
(a) 7 days.
(b) 6 days.
(c) 8 days.
(d) 5 days.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Bush Hill?
2. What happens to Colette at the end of Chapter 7?
3. What insult does Matilda say to her mother?
4. Why must Eliza go home at night?
5. What does Grandfather promise Mrs. Flagg?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)