|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Mattie run into while she is out of the house?
(a) Her former teacher.
(b) Nathaniel Benson.
(c) A friend of her mother's.
(d) Polly's mother.
2. Under which famous political figure did Mattie's grandfather serve?
(a) George Bush.
(b) George Washington.
(c) Thomas Jefferson.
(d) Benjamin Franklin.
3. Why did Eliza want Mattie to cut her some asparagus grass?
(a) To eat for a snack.
(b) To keep the flies away from her.
(c) To add to the soup she was making.
(d) To help kill germs.
4. What is the one thing that Mattie vows never to do?
(a) Become a nurse.
(b) Become a cook.
(c) Become a scullery maid.
(d) Become a teacher.
5. What does Mattie go to find once Grandfather has fallen asleep?
(a) A map.
(b) A ride.
(c) Water and food.
(d) A doctor.
6. How does Mattie reacting to leaving?
(a) She does not care one way or another.
(b) She is excited.
(c) She is upset and does not want to be away from her mother.
(d) She is scared.
7. Matilda and her mother live above what type of business?
(a) A Blacksmith.
(b) A Coffeehouse.
(c) A Shoemaker.
(d) A General Store.
8. What does Mattie do to keep herself from crying?
(a) She takes deep breathes.
(b) She does not stop herself.
(c) She bites the inside of her cheek.
(d) She counts to ten.
9. What is Bush Hill?
(a) A base camp for the army.
(b) A school.
(c) A prison.
(d) A mansion that has been turned into a hospital.
10. What type of meeting is Eliza attending?
(a) A church meeting.
(b) The Free African Society.
(c) The Culinary Society.
(d) The Society to Cure the Fever.
11. In what city does Chapter 1 take place?
(c) Washington D.C.
(d) New York City.
12. What type of lessons does Grandfather give Mattie?
(a) Spanish lessons.
(b) Etiquette lessons.
(c) Soldiering lessons.
(d) French lessons.
13. Where are the Ogilvie sons?
(a) At war.
(b) At a meeting with the mayor.
(c) Away at school.
(d) In the country.
14. When Mattie's mother begins to worry about Mattie falling ill she suggests sending her where?
(a) To a friend's farm.
(b) To Europe.
(d) To the mountains.
15. Why will Matilda's mother not allow Matilda to take Polly's family food?
(a) Because she dislikes Polly's family.
(b) Because she wants Matilda to get back to work.
(c) Because she wants to sell the food.
(d) Because she is afraid that Matilda will become ill.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Mattie and her grandfather go?
2. Why has Mrs. Ogilvie been lonely?
3. Who stays with Mattie through the night?
4. What type of fruit does Mattie find on her walk back to Grandfather?
5. At the beginning of Chapter 7 Mattie's mother pays her a compliment. What does she tell her?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)