|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Now that Polly has died who is responsible for her chores?
(a) Mattie's mother.
(b) A new serving girl has been hired.
2. What does Mattie worry her mother wanted more than her?
(c) A servant.
(d) Her father.
3. What does Mattie do once they get her mother upstairs in bed?
(a) She becomes angry.
(b) She sits by her bed refusing to leave her side.
(c) She returns to work.
(d) She cries.
4. What does Mattie suggest doing tomorrow?
(a) Walking towards the country.
(b) Finding more food.
(c) Finding a doctor.
(d) Moving their camp tomorrow to the willow tree.
5. How do the Ogilvie daughters treat Mattie?
(a) They refuse to enter the same room.
(b) They are mean to her.
(c) They are nice to her.
(d) They befriend her.
6. Where is Mattie allowed to go when she leaves the house?
(a) To the river for a swim.
(b) The market for supplies for the coffeehouse.
(c) The blacksmith's to talk to Matthew.
(d) To see her friend Nathaniel Benson.
7. Who is Dr. Rowley?
(a) A doctor that has been called in to look at Mrs. Cook.
(b) A doctor working with the mayor to stop the spread of the fever.
(c) The doctor who helped Colette.
(d) A well respected doctor in town.
8. Where does Grandfather spend the night?
(a) Dr. Rowley's house.
(c) Eliza's house.
(d) Mr. Carris' house.
9. Where is Mattie moved on the tenth day?
(a) To a wagon.
(b) To the barn.
(d) To a field.
10. What does King George demand from Mattie?
(a) Bread and berries.
(b) Tea and rum.
(c) To go home.
(d) Bacon and eggs.
11. How would you characterize Matilda's reaction to Polly's death?
12. Why does Mattie have to rewash the tablecloths?
(a) Eliza spilled dirty ditch water on them.
(b) Because Silas knocked them down while chasing a squirrel.
(c) She needs to wash them twice because of the fever germs.
(d) She dropped them.
13. What is the one thing that Mattie vows never to do?
(a) Become a teacher.
(b) Become a cook.
(c) Become a nurse.
(d) Become a scullery maid.
14. Why Eliza so important to the Coffeehouse?
(a) She handles all of the advertising.
(b) She takes care of all of the paper work.
(c) She brews the best coffee.
(d) Matilda's mother cannot cook and Eliza is an excellent cook.
15. Who is leaving with Mattie?
(a) Mrs. Cook.
(c) Nathaniel Benson.
Short Answer Questions
1. Before Mattie's grandfather came to live with them what was his profession?
2. What insult does Matilda say to her mother?
3. Why will Matilda's mother not allow Matilda to take Polly's family food?
4. When Mattie's mother begins to worry about Mattie falling ill she suggests sending her where?
5. What language are the Ogilvie children studying?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)