|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is dropped off in front of the coffeehouse at the end of the chapter?
(b) Nathaniel Benson.
(d) Mrs. Cook.
2. Why does Mattie's mother make such a fuss over the invitation?
(a) Because Edward Ogilvie is a potential husband for Mattie.
(b) Because she is afraid of catching the fever.
(c) Because she does not want to go.
(d) Because she wants to be friends with Mrs. Ogilvie.
3. When Mattie's mother begins to worry about Mattie falling ill she suggests sending her where?
(b) To a friend's farm.
(c) To the mountains.
(d) To Europe.
4. What does Mattie do to keep herself from crying?
(a) She bites the inside of her cheek.
(b) She counts to ten.
(c) She takes deep breathes.
(d) She does not stop herself.
5. Why does Mattie have to rewash the tablecloths?
(a) Because Silas knocked them down while chasing a squirrel.
(b) She needs to wash them twice because of the fever germs.
(c) Eliza spilled dirty ditch water on them.
(d) She dropped them.
6. Why does Mattie handle the bills and the exchange of money?
(a) Because Mattie enjoys it.
(b) Because her mother is too tired.
(c) Because her mother thought that it would be a good way for Mattie to learn mathematical skills.
(d) Because her mother is unable to do the math.
7. How did Polly die?
(a) She has been sick for a long time.
(b) She was struck by a sudden fever.
(c) She drowned.
(d) She was run down by a horse.
8. Why does Mattie not tell her Grandfather about her fishing experience?
(a) Because she does not want to share her secret way of catching fish.
(b) She does not want to admit defeat.
(c) She does not want to make him feel more hunger by thinking of fish.
(d) She does not want to share the fish she caught.
9. Who do Grandfather and Eliza bring to help the next morning?
(a) The mayor.
(b) Mr. Carris
(c) Dr. Kerr.
(d) Dr. Rowley.
10. Where is Mattie allowed to go when she leaves the house?
(a) The blacksmith's to talk to Matthew.
(b) The market for supplies for the coffeehouse.
(c) To see her friend Nathaniel Benson.
(d) To the river for a swim.
11. Why does Grandfather not wake up?
(a) Because he is sick.
(b) Because he was in such a deep sleep.
(c) Because he has died.
(d) He does wake up.
12. How does this new person help Mrs. Cook?
(a) He prescribes antibiotics.
(b) He says that there is nothing he can do to help.
(c) He cuts her and lets her bleed.
(d) He gives her a shot.
13. Who is leaving with Mattie?
(c) Mrs. Cook.
(d) Nathaniel Benson.
14. Why has Mrs. Ogilvie been lonely?
(a) All of her friends are angry with her.
(b) All of her friends have gone to the country because of the fever.
(c) She has never had any friends.
(d) All of her friends have moved away.
15. What does Mrs. Bowles suggest to Mattie?
(a) That she goes back to Bush Hill.
(b) That she reopens the coffee house.
(c) That she works at the orphan house.
(d) That she goes back to school.
Short Answer Questions
1. When are patients discharged?
2. At the beginning of Chapter 7 Mattie's mother pays her a compliment. What does she tell her?
3. What type of lessons does Grandfather give Mattie?
4. What doe Mattie use to make a pillow fro Grandfather?
5. What does Mattie compare the clerk to?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)