|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Grandfather compare Mattie to?
(d) Her mother, Mrs. Cook.
2. What does Mattie find for them to eat?
3. How long have Mattie and Grandfather gone?
(a) 7 days.
(b) 8 days.
(c) 5 days.
(d) 6 days.
4. What is wrong with Mattie?
(a) Nothing, she is fine.
(b) She has the chicken pox.
(c) She has the stomach flu.
(d) She has Yellow Fever.
5. How did Polly die?
(a) She was struck by a sudden fever.
(b) She was run down by a horse.
(c) She drowned.
(d) She has been sick for a long time.
6. Why did Eliza want Mattie to cut her some asparagus grass?
(a) To help kill germs.
(b) To eat for a snack.
(c) To keep the flies away from her.
(d) To add to the soup she was making.
7. What does King George demand from Mattie?
(a) Bread and berries.
(b) To go home.
(c) Tea and rum.
(d) Bacon and eggs.
8. What does Mattie say is her chief complaint?
(a) She is lonely.
(b) Her head hurts.
(c) She is dizzy.
(d) She is hungry.
9. Who is leaving with Mattie?
(a) Mrs. Cook.
(d) Nathaniel Benson.
10. What does Grandfather promise Mrs. Flagg?
(a) A buy her dinner.
(b) To marry her.
(c) A house.
(d) To take her to a ball.
11. When thinking about her grandfather, her mother and Eliza, Mattie decides that who has the most strong-headed opinions?
(a) Mrs. Cook.
(d) They are an even match.
12. Why does Mrs. Epler, the egg vendor, say that people are dying?
(a) Because they have bad luck.
(b) Because they are weak.
(c) Because they are dirty.
(d) Because they are sinners who do not attend church.
13. Where is Mattie allowed to go when she leaves the house?
(a) To the river for a swim.
(b) The blacksmith's to talk to Matthew.
(c) To see her friend Nathaniel Benson.
(d) The market for supplies for the coffeehouse.
14. Why does Grandfather think that he is a fool?
(a) For not paying more attention to the fever and not listening to Mattie's mother..
(b) For bringing Mattie to the country.
(c) For bringing King George along.
(d) For trusting the farmer.
15. Who is Dr. Rowley?
(a) A doctor that has been called in to look at Mrs. Cook.
(b) A well respected doctor in town.
(c) The doctor who helped Colette.
(d) A doctor working with the mayor to stop the spread of the fever.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why will Matilda's mother not allow Matilda to take Polly's family food?
2. What do Matilda and her mother argue about in this chapter?
3. Why does Mattie not tell her Grandfather about her fishing experience?
4. What do the men in the coffeehouse say that they need to find for Mattie?
5. Why does Grandfather not wake up?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)