|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Grandfather spend the night?
(b) Mr. Carris' house.
(c) Dr. Rowley's house.
(d) Eliza's house.
2. What happens to Colette at the end of Chapter 7?
(a) She storms out angrily.
(b) She collapses with the fever.
(c) She cries because she does not want to get married.
(d) She admits to being lazy and wanting to read novels all day.
3. Who else is in the wagon with Mattie?
(a) 5 orphans.
(b) No one.
(c) 5 prisoners.
(d) 5 dignitaries.
4. How would you characterize Matilda's reaction to Polly's death?
5. What happened to Matilda's father?
(a) He lives in Europe.
(b) He was killed in the war.
(c) He fell from a ladder and died.
(d) He and Matilda's mother are divorced.
6. When Mattie's mother begins to worry about Mattie falling ill she suggests sending her where?
(a) To Europe.
(b) To a friend's farm.
(d) To the mountains.
7. What do the men in the coffeehouse say that they need to find for Mattie?
(a) Some more friends.
(b) A husband.
(c) A new job.
(d) Some new clothes.
8. Why does Mattie have to rewash the tablecloths?
(a) Eliza spilled dirty ditch water on them.
(b) She needs to wash them twice because of the fever germs.
(c) She dropped them.
(d) Because Silas knocked them down while chasing a squirrel.
9. Why does Mattie's mother make such a fuss over the invitation?
(a) Because Edward Ogilvie is a potential husband for Mattie.
(b) Because she wants to be friends with Mrs. Ogilvie.
(c) Because she is afraid of catching the fever.
(d) Because she does not want to go.
10. Why does the farmer throw Mattie and Grandfather off of the wagon?
(a) Because Mattie has been rude.
(b) Because Mattie has fallen ill.
(c) Because the horse cannot pull all of them.
(d) Because Grandfather has fallen ill.
11. What does Mattie suggest doing tomorrow?
(a) Walking towards the country.
(b) Finding more food.
(c) Finding a doctor.
(d) Moving their camp tomorrow to the willow tree.
12. Who is Mrs. Flagg?
(a) The nurse that has been caring for her.
(b) Eliza's friend.
(c) A friend of the family.
(d) A woman on the farm.
13. What does Mattie go to find once Grandfather has fallen asleep?
(a) Water and food.
(b) A map.
(c) A doctor.
(d) A ride.
14. After reading Chapter 1 and Chapter 2 how would you characterize Matilda's relationship with her mother?
(a) Matilda and her mother do not have a relationship.
(b) Matilda and her mother are friends.
(c) Matilda and her mother are more like sisters than mother and daughter.
(d) Matilda feels like a servant.
15. Matilda and her mother live above what type of business?
(a) A General Store.
(b) A Blacksmith.
(c) A Coffeehouse.
(d) A Shoemaker.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the one thing that Mattie vows never to do?
2. What type of meeting is Eliza attending?
3. What language are the Ogilvie children studying?
4. Now that Polly has died who is responsible for her chores?
5. Why does Mattie not tell her Grandfather about her fishing experience?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)