|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why will Matilda's mother not allow Matilda to take Polly's family food?
(a) Because she is afraid that Matilda will become ill.
(b) Because she wants Matilda to get back to work.
(c) Because she dislikes Polly's family.
(d) Because she wants to sell the food.
2. What happens to Mattie at the end of the chapter?
(a) She trips and breaks her leg.
(b) She becomes ill and passes out.
(c) She decides to stay at the farm.
(d) She catches fish.
3. How would you characterize Matilda's reaction to Polly's death?
4. Who do Grandfather and Eliza bring to help the next morning?
(a) The mayor.
(b) Dr. Rowley.
(c) Dr. Kerr.
(d) Mr. Carris
5. Why has business increased at the coffeehouse over the past week?
(a) People want to eat out instead of eating at home for safety.
(b) People are stocking up in case they have to stay home for several days.
(c) People are celebrating.
(d) People are doing more of their business inland, away from the river, due to fear of disease.
6. What is Bush Hill?
(a) A prison.
(b) A mansion that has been turned into a hospital.
(c) A school.
(d) A base camp for the army.
7. What happened to Matilda's father?
(a) He and Matilda's mother are divorced.
(b) He lives in Europe.
(c) He fell from a ladder and died.
(d) He was killed in the war.
8. Why does Mattie not tell her Grandfather about her fishing experience?
(a) Because she does not want to share her secret way of catching fish.
(b) She does not want to share the fish she caught.
(c) She does not want to admit defeat.
(d) She does not want to make him feel more hunger by thinking of fish.
9. When Mattie's mother begins to worry about Mattie falling ill she suggests sending her where?
(b) To the mountains.
(c) To Europe.
(d) To a friend's farm.
10. What language are the Ogilvie children studying?
11. How many people have died in the city within the first week of the fever?
12. Where does Grandfather spend the night?
(a) Dr. Rowley's house.
(b) Eliza's house.
(d) Mr. Carris' house.
13. At the beginning of Chapter 7 Mattie's mother pays her a compliment. What does she tell her?
(a) That she is pretty.
(b) That she is funny.
(c) That she is a wonderful daughter.
(d) That she is smart.
14. What type of fruit does Mattie find on her walk back to Grandfather?
15. Who is leaving with Mattie?
(b) Mrs. Cook.
(d) Nathaniel Benson.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who stays with Mattie through the night?
2. In what city does Chapter 1 take place?
3. Who is Susannah?
4. Why does Grandfather think that he is a fool?
5. What doe Mattie use to make a pillow fro Grandfather?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)