|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who do Grandfather and Eliza bring to help the next morning?
(a) Dr. Kerr.
(b) Dr. Rowley.
(c) The mayor.
(d) Mr. Carris
2. Where does the clerk threaten to take Mattie?
(a) To the orphan house.
(b) To the hospital.
(c) To the prison.
(d) To the city.
3. Who is Susannah?
(a) Mattie's cousin.
(b) A nurse on the wagon.
(c) Mattie's aunt.
(d) A young girl going to work at the orphan house.
4. Why does Mattie handle the bills and the exchange of money?
(a) Because Mattie enjoys it.
(b) Because her mother is too tired.
(c) Because her mother is unable to do the math.
(d) Because her mother thought that it would be a good way for Mattie to learn mathematical skills.
5. Why must Eliza go home at night?
(a) She is afraid of becoming ill.
(b) Her brother's family is expecting her.
(c) She is too tired to help Mrs. Cook and Eliza.
(d) She wants to go home.
6. Why does Mattie not tell her Grandfather about her fishing experience?
(a) She does not want to admit defeat.
(b) She does not want to share the fish she caught.
(c) She does not want to make him feel more hunger by thinking of fish.
(d) Because she does not want to share her secret way of catching fish.
7. What does Mattie go to find once Grandfather has fallen asleep?
(a) Water and food.
(b) A map.
(c) A doctor.
(d) A ride.
8. Why does Mattie's mother make such a fuss over the invitation?
(a) Because she wants to be friends with Mrs. Ogilvie.
(b) Because she does not want to go.
(c) Because she is afraid of catching the fever.
(d) Because Edward Ogilvie is a potential husband for Mattie.
9. When Mattie's mother inquires about Colette's health what response does she get?
(a) Colette's health has not changed.
(b) She does not get a response.
(c) Colette's health is improving.
(d) Colette's health is worsening.
10. Why does Mattie have to rewash the tablecloths?
(a) Because Silas knocked them down while chasing a squirrel.
(b) She needs to wash them twice because of the fever germs.
(c) She dropped them.
(d) Eliza spilled dirty ditch water on them.
11. What is the one thing that Mattie vows never to do?
(a) Become a scullery maid.
(b) Become a nurse.
(c) Become a teacher.
(d) Become a cook.
12. What happened to Matilda's father?
(a) He and Matilda's mother are divorced.
(b) He fell from a ladder and died.
(c) He was killed in the war.
(d) He lives in Europe.
13. Why does Grandfather think that he is a fool?
(a) For not paying more attention to the fever and not listening to Mattie's mother..
(b) For trusting the farmer.
(c) For bringing King George along.
(d) For bringing Mattie to the country.
14. Where is Mattie allowed to go when she leaves the house?
(a) To see her friend Nathaniel Benson.
(b) To the river for a swim.
(c) The blacksmith's to talk to Matthew.
(d) The market for supplies for the coffeehouse.
15. What is Bush Hill?
(a) A school.
(b) A prison.
(c) A mansion that has been turned into a hospital.
(d) A base camp for the army.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is wrong with Mattie?
2. What do Matilda and her mother argue about in this chapter?
3. Who is Mrs. Flagg?
4. When are patients discharged?
5. What insult does Matilda say to her mother?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)