|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why has business increased at the coffeehouse over the past week?
(a) People want to eat out instead of eating at home for safety.
(b) People are celebrating.
(c) People are stocking up in case they have to stay home for several days.
(d) People are doing more of their business inland, away from the river, due to fear of disease.
2. What does Mattie do to keep herself from crying?
(a) She counts to ten.
(b) She does not stop herself.
(c) She bites the inside of her cheek.
(d) She takes deep breathes.
3. Who else is in the wagon with Mattie?
(a) 5 orphans.
(b) 5 prisoners.
(c) No one.
(d) 5 dignitaries.
4. What doe Mattie use to make a pillow fro Grandfather?
(b) Timothy grass.
(c) Her clothes.
(d) Pine straw.
5. How long have Mattie and Grandfather gone?
(a) 6 days.
(b) 7 days.
(c) 5 days.
(d) 8 days.
6. Where do Mattie and her mother get invited to go?
(a) To Polly's funeral.
(b) To have tea at the Ogilvies' home.
(c) To a meeting for business owners.
(d) To a party at the Oglivies' home.
7. How does Mattie feel about the invitation?
(a) She does not want to go.
(b) She does not want to go.
(c) She is excited.
(d) She is afraid of catching the fever.
8. Why did Eliza want Mattie to cut her some asparagus grass?
(a) To help kill germs.
(b) To add to the soup she was making.
(c) To eat for a snack.
(d) To keep the flies away from her.
9. What happens to Mattie at the end of the chapter?
(a) She trips and breaks her leg.
(b) She becomes ill and passes out.
(c) She decides to stay at the farm.
(d) She catches fish.
10. What does Mattie worry her mother wanted more than her?
(b) Her father.
(c) A servant.
11. Why does Mrs. Epler, the egg vendor, say that people are dying?
(a) Because they are dirty.
(b) Because they are sinners who do not attend church.
(c) Because they have bad luck.
(d) Because they are weak.
12. Why does Mattie handle the bills and the exchange of money?
(a) Because her mother is too tired.
(b) Because her mother thought that it would be a good way for Mattie to learn mathematical skills.
(c) Because her mother is unable to do the math.
(d) Because Mattie enjoys it.
13. Where does Grandfather spend the night?
(a) Eliza's house.
(b) Mr. Carris' house.
(d) Dr. Rowley's house.
14. Where do Mattie and her grandfather go?
(a) To the market.
(b) To the newspaper office.
(c) To the country.
(d) To the hospital.
15. Who is Polly?
(a) Matilda's best friend.
(b) A slave.
(c) Matilda's sister.
(d) The serving girl.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mattie have to rewash the tablecloths?
2. Who is leaving with Mattie?
3. Who does Grandfather compare Mattie to?
4. What does Mattie go to find once Grandfather has fallen asleep?
5. Why does Mattie's mother make such a fuss over the invitation?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)