|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Grandfather spend the night?
(a) Mr. Carris' house.
(b) Dr. Rowley's house.
(c) Eliza's house.
2. What doe Mattie use to make a pillow fro Grandfather?
(a) Her clothes.
(b) Timothy grass.
(d) Pine straw.
3. What insult does Matilda say to her mother?
(a) She tells her that she is mean.
(b) She tells her that she is ugly.
(c) She tells her she hates her.
(d) She tells her she is horrid.
4. Now that Polly has died who is responsible for her chores?
(b) A new serving girl has been hired.
(c) Mattie's mother.
5. What does Mattie go to find once Grandfather has fallen asleep?
(a) Water and food.
(b) A map.
(c) A doctor.
(d) A ride.
6. What does Matilda believe has made her mother so bitter?
(a) She has always been bitter.
(b) Polly's death.
(c) Having to work hard.
(d) The death of her father.
7. How does Mattie feel about the invitation?
(a) She does not want to go.
(b) She does not want to go.
(c) She is afraid of catching the fever.
(d) She is excited.
8. What does Mattie do to keep herself from crying?
(a) She takes deep breathes.
(b) She does not stop herself.
(c) She counts to ten.
(d) She bites the inside of her cheek.
9. How long have Mattie and Grandfather gone?
(a) 8 days.
(b) 5 days.
(c) 7 days.
(d) 6 days.
10. When thinking about her grandfather, her mother and Eliza, Mattie decides that who has the most strong-headed opinions?
(c) They are an even match.
(d) Mrs. Cook.
11. When Mattie's mother inquires about Colette's health what response does she get?
(a) Colette's health is worsening.
(b) Colette's health has not changed.
(c) Colette's health is improving.
(d) She does not get a response.
12. In what city does Chapter 1 take place?
(a) Washington D.C.
(c) New York City.
13. Why does Mattie think that the bugs are bothering them at the beginning of Chapter 11?
(a) Because of the horse.
(b) Because of the fever.
(c) Because the baby needs a clean diaper.
(d) Because of the food Eliza packed.
14. Why is Mattie Leaving?
(a) She wants to be with Nathaniel Benson.
(b) She decides that it is the only way she will be safe.
(c) She wants to be the Ogilvie family.
(d) Dr. Kerr says that it is the only way to keep her safe.
15. Why must Eliza go home at night?
(a) Her brother's family is expecting her.
(b) She is afraid of becoming ill.
(c) She wants to go home.
(d) She is too tired to help Mrs. Cook and Eliza.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mattie not tell her Grandfather about her fishing experience?
2. When Mattie's mother begins to worry about Mattie falling ill she suggests sending her where?
3. Why did Eliza want Mattie to cut her some asparagus grass?
4. How often does Mattie's mother need to be bathed?
5. What does Mattie do once they get her mother upstairs in bed?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)