|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Epler, the egg vendor, say that people are dying?
(a) Because they are sinners who do not attend church.
(b) Because they have bad luck.
(c) Because they are dirty.
(d) Because they are weak.
2. How does Mattie feel about the invitation?
(a) She is excited.
(b) She does not want to go.
(c) She does not want to go.
(d) She is afraid of catching the fever.
3. What type of meeting is Eliza attending?
(a) The Free African Society.
(b) A church meeting.
(c) The Society to Cure the Fever.
(d) The Culinary Society.
4. Who will stay with Mrs. Cook?
(c) Dr. Kerr.
(d) A nurse will be hired.
5. How do the Ogilvie daughters treat Mattie?
(a) They are nice to her.
(b) They are mean to her.
(c) They befriend her.
(d) They refuse to enter the same room.
6. Why did Eliza want Mattie to cut her some asparagus grass?
(a) To help kill germs.
(b) To eat for a snack.
(c) To add to the soup she was making.
(d) To keep the flies away from her.
7. Where do Mattie and her grandfather go?
(a) To the newspaper office.
(b) To the country.
(c) To the hospital.
(d) To the market.
8. What woke up Mattie?
(a) The baby crying.
(b) The farmer yelling.
(c) The wagon stopping.
(d) Grandfather's snoring.
9. What doe Mattie use to make a pillow fro Grandfather?
(a) Timothy grass.
(b) Pine straw.
(d) Her clothes.
10. Now that Polly has died who is responsible for her chores?
(c) A new serving girl has been hired.
(d) Mattie's mother.
11. What does Mattie do once they get her mother upstairs in bed?
(a) She returns to work.
(b) She cries.
(c) She sits by her bed refusing to leave her side.
(d) She becomes angry.
12. What does Grandfather suggest that Nathaniel Benson did at the market?
(a) Knocked over a stand spilling produce.
(b) Stole some eggs.
(c) Acted inappropriately.
(d) Bought some meat below fourth street.
13. Where do Mattie and her mother get invited to go?
(a) To have tea at the Ogilvies' home.
(b) To a party at the Oglivies' home.
(c) To Polly's funeral.
(d) To a meeting for business owners.
14. What does Mattie daydream about?
(c) Nathaniel Benson.
(d) Her mother coming back and being proud of Mattie.
15. What does Mattie find for them to eat?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does this new person help Mrs. Cook?
2. Who is Mrs. Flagg?
3. What type of lessons does Grandfather give Mattie?
4. At the beginning of Chapter 6 what does Mattie vow never to complain about again?
5. Who is King George?
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)