|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Bowles suggest to Mattie?
(a) That she goes back to Bush Hill.
(b) That she works at the orphan house.
(c) That she reopens the coffee house.
(d) That she goes back to school.
2. What is the one thing that Mattie vows never to do?
(a) Become a teacher.
(b) Become a nurse.
(c) Become a cook.
(d) Become a scullery maid.
3. What type of fruit does Mattie find on her walk back to Grandfather?
4. What is wrong with Mattie?
(a) Nothing, she is fine.
(b) She has the stomach flu.
(c) She has the chicken pox.
(d) She has Yellow Fever.
5. Who is Dr. Rowley?
(a) A doctor working with the mayor to stop the spread of the fever.
(b) The doctor who helped Colette.
(c) A well respected doctor in town.
(d) A doctor that has been called in to look at Mrs. Cook.
6. Under which famous political figure did Mattie's grandfather serve?
(a) George Washington.
(b) Benjamin Franklin.
(c) Thomas Jefferson.
(d) George Bush.
7. Who is Mrs. Flagg?
(a) The nurse that has been caring for her.
(b) Eliza's friend.
(c) A friend of the family.
(d) A woman on the farm.
8. Why does the farmer throw Mattie and Grandfather off of the wagon?
(a) Because Mattie has fallen ill.
(b) Because Mattie has been rude.
(c) Because Grandfather has fallen ill.
(d) Because the horse cannot pull all of them.
9. Who else is in the wagon with Mattie?
(a) 5 orphans.
(b) No one.
(c) 5 prisoners.
(d) 5 dignitaries.
10. When Mattie's mother inquires about Colette's health what response does she get?
(a) Colette's health has not changed.
(b) Colette's health is improving.
(c) She does not get a response.
(d) Colette's health is worsening.
11. Why is Mattie Leaving?
(a) She decides that it is the only way she will be safe.
(b) She wants to be with Nathaniel Benson.
(c) Dr. Kerr says that it is the only way to keep her safe.
(d) She wants to be the Ogilvie family.
12. Why did Eliza want Mattie to cut her some asparagus grass?
(a) To keep the flies away from her.
(b) To add to the soup she was making.
(c) To help kill germs.
(d) To eat for a snack.
13. What doe Mattie use to make a pillow fro Grandfather?
(a) Pine straw.
(c) Timothy grass.
(d) Her clothes.
14. Where does the clerk threaten to take Mattie?
(a) To the hospital.
(b) To the orphan house.
(c) To the city.
(d) To the prison.
15. In what city does Chapter 1 take place?
(b) Washington D.C.
(d) New York City.
Short Answer Questions
1. What wakes Mattie up at the beginning of Chapter 13?
2. How often does Mattie's mother need to be bathed?
3. Who is leaving with Mattie?
4. What is Bush Hill?
5. How does Mattie reacting to leaving?
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)