|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is wrong with Mattie?
(a) Nothing, she is fine.
(b) She has Yellow Fever.
(c) She has the stomach flu.
(d) She has the chicken pox.
2. At the beginning of Chapter 7 Mattie's mother pays her a compliment. What does she tell her?
(a) That she is a wonderful daughter.
(b) That she is smart.
(c) That she is funny.
(d) That she is pretty.
3. What does Mattie suggest doing tomorrow?
(a) Moving their camp tomorrow to the willow tree.
(b) Finding more food.
(c) Finding a doctor.
(d) Walking towards the country.
4. After reading Chapter 1 and Chapter 2 how would you characterize Matilda's relationship with her mother?
(a) Matilda feels like a servant.
(b) Matilda and her mother are friends.
(c) Matilda and her mother are more like sisters than mother and daughter.
(d) Matilda and her mother do not have a relationship.
5. How many people have died in the city within the first week of the fever?
6. Why does Mattie handle the bills and the exchange of money?
(a) Because her mother is unable to do the math.
(b) Because her mother thought that it would be a good way for Mattie to learn mathematical skills.
(c) Because her mother is too tired.
(d) Because Mattie enjoys it.
7. Who is dropped off in front of the coffeehouse at the end of the chapter?
(a) Nathaniel Benson.
(c) Mrs. Cook.
8. Why does Mattie think that the bugs are bothering them at the beginning of Chapter 11?
(a) Because of the fever.
(b) Because of the food Eliza packed.
(c) Because the baby needs a clean diaper.
(d) Because of the horse.
9. Why does Grandfather not wake up?
(a) Because he was in such a deep sleep.
(b) Because he is sick.
(c) He does wake up.
(d) Because he has died.
10. What does Mrs. Bowles suggest to Mattie?
(a) That she goes back to school.
(b) That she reopens the coffee house.
(c) That she goes back to Bush Hill.
(d) That she works at the orphan house.
11. What type of fruit does Mattie find on her walk back to Grandfather?
12. Why does Mattie not tell her Grandfather about her fishing experience?
(a) She does not want to make him feel more hunger by thinking of fish.
(b) She does not want to admit defeat.
(c) Because she does not want to share her secret way of catching fish.
(d) She does not want to share the fish she caught.
13. How did Mattie get to Bush Hill?
(a) She borrowed a horse.
(b) She walked.
(c) Someone picked her up and dropped her off.
(d) Her grandfather carried her.
14. What type of meeting is Eliza attending?
(a) The Society to Cure the Fever.
(b) A church meeting.
(c) The Free African Society.
(d) The Culinary Society.
15. Where does Grandfather spend the night?
(b) Mr. Carris' house.
(c) Dr. Rowley's house.
(d) Eliza's house.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do Grandfather and Eliza bring to help the next morning?
2. What does Mattie daydream about?
3. Who stays with Mattie through the night?
4. How would you characterize Matilda's reaction to Polly's death?
5. Where are the Ogilvie sons?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)