Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Polly die?
(a) She was struck by a sudden fever.
(b) She drowned.
(c) She has been sick for a long time.
(d) She was run down by a horse.
2. Who is King George?
(a) A parrot.
(b) A cat.
(c) A dog.
(d) The king of England.
3. Why does Mattie's mother make such a fuss over the invitation?
(a) Because she does not want to go.
(b) Because Edward Ogilvie is a potential husband for Mattie.
(c) Because she is afraid of catching the fever.
(d) Because she wants to be friends with Mrs. Ogilvie.
4. What does Matilda believe has made her mother so bitter?
(a) The death of her father.
(b) She has always been bitter.
(c) Polly's death.
(d) Having to work hard.
5. What doe Mattie use to make a pillow fro Grandfather?
(b) Timothy grass.
(c) Pine straw.
(d) Her clothes.
6. Who is dropped off in front of the coffeehouse at the end of the chapter?
(a) Nathaniel Benson.
(c) Mrs. Cook.
7. What does Mattie worry her mother wanted more than her?
(b) Her father.
(d) A servant.
8. Why will Matilda's mother not allow Matilda to take Polly's family food?
(a) Because she dislikes Polly's family.
(b) Because she is afraid that Matilda will become ill.
(c) Because she wants Matilda to get back to work.
(d) Because she wants to sell the food.
9. What does Mattie say is her chief complaint?
(a) She is lonely.
(b) She is dizzy.
(c) Her head hurts.
(d) She is hungry.
10. What does Mattie do to keep herself from crying?
(a) She bites the inside of her cheek.
(b) She counts to ten.
(c) She takes deep breathes.
(d) She does not stop herself.
11. Who is Susannah?
(a) A nurse on the wagon.
(b) A young girl going to work at the orphan house.
(c) Mattie's cousin.
(d) Mattie's aunt.
12. When Mattie's mother inquires about Colette's health what response does she get?
(a) Colette's health has not changed.
(b) Colette's health is worsening.
(c) She does not get a response.
(d) Colette's health is improving.
13. What is the one thing that Mattie vows never to do?
(a) Become a teacher.
(b) Become a scullery maid.
(c) Become a nurse.
(d) Become a cook.
14. How would you characterize Matilda's reaction to Polly's death?
15. Who do Grandfather and Eliza bring to help the next morning?
(a) Dr. Kerr.
(b) The mayor.
(c) Mr. Carris
(d) Dr. Rowley.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the Ogilvie daughters treat Mattie?
2. Who is Polly?
3. Now that Polly has died who is responsible for her chores?
4. Why Eliza so important to the Coffeehouse?
5. At the beginning of Chapter 6 what does Mattie vow never to complain about again?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)