Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Mattie's morning in Chapter 1.
2. Why does Eliza feel that Philadelphia is the best city for free African Americans to live?
3. What do Mattie and her mother argue about at the end of Chapter 3?
4. Has Mattie's mother always been "a tired and bitter captain"?
5. What do some people in the coffeehouse suggest is causing the sickness?
6. Where does the doctor suggest that the women and children should go?
7. Why does the church bell ring twenty-one times?
8. How would you characterize Mattie's feelings toward Nathaniel Benson after reading Chapter 5?
9. Grandfather feels that Nathaniel Benson must do something before he will ever be able to amount to anything. What is it that he feels he should do?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)