Short Answer Key
Chapter 1 | Chapter 2
1. In what city does Chapter 1 take place?
2. Matilda and her mother live above what type of business?
3. Who is Polly?
The serving girl.
4. What happened to Matilda's father?
He fell from a ladder and died.
5. Why Eliza so important to the Coffeehouse?
Matilda's mother cannot cook and Eliza is an excellent cook.
6. After reading Chapter 1 and Chapter 2 how would you characterize Matilda's relationship with her mother?
Matilda feels like a servant.
1. What do Matilda and her mother argue about in this chapter?
Matilda wants to go to the funeral and her mother does not want her to go.
2. What does Matilda believe has made her mother so bitter?
The death of her father.
3. How did Polly die?
She was struck by a sudden fever.
4. How would...
This section contains 2,265 words|
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)