Objective: Chapter 1 | Chapter 2 In the opening two chapters, we are introduced to the idea of "the fever" through Polly's death. Anderson uses Polly's death as a clue to what is coming in the novel and this technique is referred to as foreshadowing. The objective of this lesson is to examine how the literary element of foreshadowing is used. here and to build interest.
1) Review foreshadowing as a class.
2) Discuss how Anderson uses Polly's death as a way to foreshadow upcoming events in the novel.
3) Make a class list on the board of what events may possibly come up in the novel.
4) Discuss as a class why Anderson chose this technique at beginning of her novel.
5) Homework: Cite two examples of foreshadowing in a recent book or movie. Describe the event and what the event led to later illustrating how the foreshadowing was successfully used.
This section contains 4,165 words
(approx. 14 pages at 300 words per page)