* Mattie and her mother live above and operate the Cook Coffeehouse.
* Mattie is awakened by her mother's repeated shouts to wake up.
* It is a hot and unpleasant August day and Polly, the serving girl, is late for work.
* Mattie is informed that she will have preform both her own and Polly's chores if Polly does not arrive.
* Mattie believes that Polly is at blacksmith shop watching Matthew, a boy she is infatuated with, work.
* It is explained that the coffeehouse was built by Mattie's father a carpenter that died after a fall from a ladder.
* After the death of her father her paternal grandfather came to the coffeehouse to live and work.
* Eliza, the free African-American cook is introduced.
* Mattie's mother cannot cook therefor Eliza is vital to the coffeehouse.
* Mattie's mother goes to look for Polly.
* While Mattie is watering the garden, Polly's job...
This section contains 3,634 words
(approx. 13 pages at 300 words per page)