|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator think will happen to a novel in which the first word is heroic?
2. How does Syphon rally his men when they seem to dwindle in the schoolyard fight?
3. What is the professor who is known as "Anti-Filidor's" real last name?
4. Which of the following familial groups has the largest influence on the way Joey lives his life?
5. Instead of acknowledging that Kneadus and Syphus are fighting, what does Pimko insist the boys are doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Kneadus burst into the Youngblood family home soon after Joey moves in with the family?
2. How does the dual between Filidor and Momsen end?
3. What is Joey's first impression of Zuta when he sees her?
4. How does the principal of Joey's school feel about Pimko's psychological style?
5. How is Mrs. Filidor caught in the crossfires of her husband's battle?
6. What reason does Joey give for his own personal struggle with immaturity?
7. How do the school kids respond when they see Pimko spying on them, taking notes?
8. How does Zuta react when Joey enters her room unannounced?
9. What is Mrs. Youngblood's reaction to Joey's age?
10. How do the students in Joey's English class feel about the Polish poet, Slsowacki?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Joey is reverted back to the body of a teenager, he is sent to stay at an all-boys boarding school. First, describe the setting of the school. How does the school in the novel compare to traditional schools in our culture? How do the teachers treat the students? How do the students treat the teachers? In what way is the relationship between students and teachers a direct reflection of the overall emotions of the society Joey is apart of in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Another important battle scene in the novel is the battle between Doctor Filidor and Doctor Momsen. First, describe these two doctors and explain their opposing views of science. How would each of these men describe or define a noodle? Then, describe the final battle scene between Momsen and Filidor? Who was victorious? How does the battle between Filidor and Momsen directly reflect the earlier battle between Kneadus and Syphus?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel there are many references to the human body. Choose at least two scenes in which a part of the human body is a key element. What metaphor is being created through the use of these body parts? What is the overarching message the narrator is trying to communicate about the symbolism of the human body in literature?
This section contains 1,056 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)