|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which city do professors Momsen and Filidor meet for their battle?
2. According to the narrator, what are all writers dependent on above all else?
3. What language does Joey's class work on translating, even though no one is prepared?
4. How does Syphon rally his men when they seem to dwindle in the schoolyard fight?
5. Who do the children on the playground think Pimko is when they see him writing notes in hiding?
Short Essay Questions
1. What community does the narrator claim is the stupidest community of all, and why?
2. Why does Kneadus burst into the Youngblood family home soon after Joey moves in with the family?
3. How does Joey react when Zuta calls him a clown?
4. At the opening of the novel, how does Joey feel when he first wakes from sleep?
5. Who is Doctor Filidor?
6. How is Mrs. Filidor caught in the crossfires of her husband's battle?
7. What bizarre dream does Joey have the night before the novel opens?
8. How does Dr. Pimko react when he reads the writing Joey has completed after waking from his strange dream?
9. How do the students in Joey's classroom treat their teachers?
10. What reason does Joey give for his own personal struggle with immaturity?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Joey struggles with issues of his own self maturity. First, describe what Joey's maturity level was like at the opening of the novel and compare that to his maturity level at the end of the novel. Then, choose at least two scenes in the novel that you believe showcase Joey's journey toward maturity. Describe these scenes, and explain how they exemplify Joey's journey.
Essay Topic 2
Kneadus's main goal for the entire novel is to locate and connect with the farmhand. First, describe the character of the farmhand. What makes this character so desirable to outsiders? Then, describe how Kneadus finally met the farmhand he was searching for. What was the outcome of this meeting? Finally, describe the outside reaction to the idea that a master could befriend a servant. How did this reaction directly affect the relationship between Kneadus and his farmhand?
Essay Topic 3
Doctor Pimko is introduced at the opening of the novel as a much different doctor than he is at the end of the novel. First, describe the first scenes in which Pimko is introduced to the reader. How is he treating his patients? Then, compare that to the Doctor Pimko the reader sees at the end of the novel. Choose at least two scenes that you think best exemplify Doctor Pimko's change, and describe these scenes.
This section contains 1,007 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)