|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not an excuse students give in the English classroom to ensure they won't have to speak about the assigned poetry?
2. Which of the following items is not an element noodles can be broken down into, according to Momsen?
3. Which of the following adjectives best describes Doctor T. Pimko?
4. Which of the following words does Pimko use to express "bottom"?
5. According to the narrator, what are all writers dependent on above all else?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the students in Joey's classroom treat their teachers?
2. How does Joey react to hearing Zuta speak on the telephone with her friends?
3. Who are the Youngbloods?
4. How does the narrator claim a novel is truly read?
5. How does Dr. Pimko react when he reads the writing Joey has completed after waking from his strange dream?
6. What happens in the battle of face-pulling between Syphus and Kneadus?
7. How does the principal of Joey's school feel about Pimko's psychological style?
8. What relationship does Pimko hope will transpire between Joey and Zuta?
9. What division takes place on the schoolyard after Pimko's notes have been read?
10. What type of writers does Joey find most annoying in the literary world?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Joey has various crushes on female characters he comes across. First, describe the first romantic crush Joey has on a female character in the novel. How does he respond to these romantic feelings? Then, compare Joey's first crush to a crush he has later on in the novel. What has changed in the way Joey responds to these romantic feelings? How do these scenes show growth in Joey's character? Choose at least two examples of scenes from the text that you believe best exemplify and strengthen your argument and describe those scenes in this essay.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel there are many references to the human body. Choose at least two scenes in which a part of the human body is a key element. What metaphor is being created through the use of these body parts? What is the overarching message the narrator is trying to communicate about the symbolism of the human body in literature?
Essay Topic 3
At various places in the novel, the prose is broken up with chunks of poetry or quotes from other published authors. First, choose at least two of these quotes from the novel and explain their significance within the story. Then, explain what is accomplished in the novel overall by including these secondary texts. Do you think the goal is accomplished?
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)