Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following adjectives best describes the schoolgirl?
2. Where does Joey think he is going in life?
3. What physical change does Joey feel in his body as he is speaking with Dr. Pimko?
4. Which of the following body parts is not one Momsen attacked on Filibur's wife?
5. What sound signifies the end of class at Joey's school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Kneadus burst into the Youngblood family home soon after Joey moves in with the family?
2. At the opening of the novel, how does Joey feel when he first wakes from sleep?
3. What happens when Joey and Kneadus reach the edge of the city in their search for the farmhand?
4. How do the students in Joey's classroom treat their teachers?
5. How does Zuta react when Kopyrda sneaks through her bedroom window?
6. How does Zuta react when Joey enters her room unannounced?
7. What happens when the Marquis de Filiberthe joins the brawl at the tennis match?
8. How do Joey and Kneadus fare while searching for the farmhand in the city?
9. How does Joey react to hearing Zuta speak on the telephone with her friends?
10. How does Aunt Hurlecka come to Joey's rescue while he is on the outskirts of town?
Zuta is described as being a "modern" schoolgirl. First, describe the character of Zuta. What makes her different from the other schoolgirls in her grade? Then, explain what it means to be "modern" in Zuta's society. Is modernity something one is born with or can it be learned? Choose at least two examples of scenes from the text that you believe best exemplify and strengthen your argument and describe those scenes in this essay.
Throughout the novel, Joey struggles with issues of his own self maturity. First, describe what Joey's maturity level was like at the opening of the novel and compare that to his maturity level at the end of the novel. Then, choose at least two scenes in the novel that you believe showcase Joey's journey toward maturity. Describe these scenes, and explain how they exemplify Joey's journey.
Throughout the novel, Joey has various crushes on female characters he comes across. First, describe the first romantic crush Joey has on a female character in the novel. How does he respond to these romantic feelings? Then, compare Joey's first crush to a crush he has later on in the novel. What has changed in the way Joey responds to these romantic feelings? How do these scenes show growth in Joey's character? Choose at least two examples of scenes from the text that you believe best exemplify and strengthen your argument and describe those scenes in this essay.
This section contains 1,049 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)