|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following adjectives best describes the schoolgirl?
2. What does the narrator think will happen to a novel in which the first word is heroic?
3. What does Joey chew on while he listens to the schoolgirl talk with a friend on the phone?
4. What unit of currency is used in the town in which Momsen and Filibur live?
5. Which of the following adjectives best describes Doctor T. Pimko?
Short Essay Questions
1. What career path has Joey chosen for himself, and what is the general consensus from his family?
2. How does the principal of Joey's school feel about Pimko's psychological style?
3. How do the students in Joey's class respond when they are asked to translate Latin?
4. Who is Doctor Filidor?
5. How does Dr. Pimko react when he reads the writing Joey has completed after waking from his strange dream?
6. How does Joey react when Zuta calls him a clown?
7. What is Mrs. Youngblood's reaction to Joey's age?
8. What community does the narrator claim is the stupidest community of all, and why?
9. At the opening of the novel, how does Joey feel when he first wakes from sleep?
10. What type of literary critic does the narrator despise?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The narrator of this novel often interjects his opinions of what is going on and speaks directly to the reading audience. What is accomplished by employing this type of intrusive narrator? What is lost? As a reader, describe your reaction to reading a narrator like this. What did his opinions add to the novel? What did they distract from? Choose at least two examples of scenes from the text that you believe best exemplify and strengthen your argument and describe those scenes in this essay.
Essay Topic 2
Zuta is described as being a "modern" schoolgirl. First, describe the character of Zuta. What makes her different from the other schoolgirls in her grade? Then, explain what it means to be "modern" in Zuta's society. Is modernity something one is born with or can it be learned? Choose at least two examples of scenes from the text that you believe best exemplify and strengthen your argument and describe those scenes in this essay.
Essay Topic 3
Kneadus's main goal for the entire novel is to locate and connect with the farmhand. First, describe the character of the farmhand. What makes this character so desirable to outsiders? Then, describe how Kneadus finally met the farmhand he was searching for. What was the outcome of this meeting? Finally, describe the outside reaction to the idea that a master could befriend a servant. How did this reaction directly affect the relationship between Kneadus and his farmhand?
This section contains 1,017 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)