|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What question does the schoolgirl ask Joey over and over and over when he is in her bedroom?
2. Who does Kneadus attack upon entering the Youngblood home?
3. Which of the following nicknames does Dr. Pimko give to Joey?
4. What does the narrator think will happen to a novel in which the first word is heroic?
5. Which of the following words does Pimko use to express "bottom"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kneadus react when he sees the farmhand he has been searching for working at Auntie's house?
2. What complaint does the teacher have when Pimko drops Joey off for his first day of school?
3. What happens when Joey and Kneadus reach the edge of the city in their search for the farmhand?
4. At the opening of the novel, how does Joey feel when he first wakes from sleep?
5. How does Joey feel about the decorations in Mrs. Youngblood's bedroom?
6. How does Zuta react when Kopyrda sneaks through her bedroom window?
7. What type of literary critic does the narrator despise?
8. How does Joey react to hearing Zuta speak on the telephone with her friends?
9. How does Dr. Pimko react when he reads the writing Joey has completed after waking from his strange dream?
10. Who is Kopydra?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel there are many references to the human body. Choose at least two scenes in which a part of the human body is a key element. What metaphor is being created through the use of these body parts? What is the overarching message the narrator is trying to communicate about the symbolism of the human body in literature?
Essay Topic 2
The story "The Child Runs Deep in Filibert" is really a comedy of errors. First, describe the inciting incident that set all the action of this story into motion. What events happened as a direct reaction to the inciting incident in this story? Then, explain why you believe the narrator chose to interject this story into Joey and Kneadus' journey. How does the story "The Child Runs Deep in Filibert" directly reflect the main story in the novel of Joey and Kneadus? Be sure to choose at least two scenes from the novel that you think best exemplify and strengthen your argument and describe them in this essay.
Essay Topic 3
When Joey is alone with Zuta he has a difficult time communicating with her. Choose at least two scenes in which Joey finds himself unable to physically communicate with Zuta. How does Joey unleash the frustration he feels at his ineptitude? Then, explain how each of these scenes highlights the different levels of maturity and character growth in Joey and Zuta.
This section contains 2,437 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)