|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wins in the pistol shootout between Momsen and Filibur?
2. Which of the following sciences does Professor Filidor study?
3. What does Joey dream about at the opening of the novel?
4. What beverage does Kneadus bring over to drink with Joey in his new home?
5. What does Joey believe a writer's job should be?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mrs. Youngblood's reaction to Joey's age?
2. How does the narrator feel about Chopin?
3. How does the principal of Joey's school feel about Pimko's psychological style?
4. What reason does Joey give for his own personal struggle with immaturity?
5. How does the narrator claim a novel is truly read?
6. What type of literary critic does the narrator despise?
7. Who is Doctor Momsen?
8. How do the school kids respond when they see Pimko spying on them, taking notes?
9. Who is Doctor Filidor?
10. What relationship does Pimko hope will transpire between Joey and Zuta?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Zuta is described as being a "modern" schoolgirl. First, describe the character of Zuta. What makes her different from the other schoolgirls in her grade? Then, explain what it means to be "modern" in Zuta's society. Is modernity something one is born with or can it be learned? Choose at least two examples of scenes from the text that you believe best exemplify and strengthen your argument and describe those scenes in this essay.
Essay Topic 2
In Pimko's school, the best attribute a student can have is immaturity. First, describe why immaturity is such an alluring character trait for the students in Pimko's school. Then, describe how the teachers manipulate the immature students' brains. What commentary is Gombrowicz making about academia in general through the use of his overbearing, opinionated teachers? Choose at least two examples of scenes from the text that you believe best exemplify and strengthen your argument and describe those scenes in this essay.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, Joey struggles with issues of his own self maturity. First, describe what Joey's maturity level was like at the opening of the novel and compare that to his maturity level at the end of the novel. Then, choose at least two scenes in the novel that you believe showcase Joey's journey toward maturity. Describe these scenes, and explain how they exemplify Joey's journey.
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)