|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Momsen and Filibur walk away from each other after the dual, what do they throw at each other?
2. Which of the following is not an excuse students give in the English classroom to ensure they won't have to speak about the assigned poetry?
3. How do the students in Joey's classroom react when they meet him for the first time?
4. What does the schoolgirl do to pass her time while she is waiting for her parents to get home after Joey arrives?
5. Which of the following sciences does Professor Momsen study?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of literary critic does the narrator despise?
2. How do the school kids respond when they see Pimko spying on them, taking notes?
3. How do the students in Joey's class respond when they are asked to translate Latin?
4. How does Joey react when Zuta calls him a clown?
5. Why doesn't Kopydra want to engage in the dual between the lads and the guys?
6. How does the principal of Joey's school feel about Pimko's psychological style?
7. How do the students in Joey's English class feel about the Polish poet, Slsowacki?
8. What is Joey's first impression of Zuta when he sees her?
9. How does Dr. Pimko react when he reads the writing Joey has completed after waking from his strange dream?
10. What relationship does Pimko hope will transpire between Joey and Zuta?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Doctor Pimko is introduced at the opening of the novel as a much different doctor than he is at the end of the novel. First, describe the first scenes in which Pimko is introduced to the reader. How is he treating his patients? Then, compare that to the Doctor Pimko the reader sees at the end of the novel. Choose at least two scenes that you think best exemplify Doctor Pimko's change, and describe these scenes.
Essay Topic 2
The narrator of this novel has very strong opinions of what art is in society and how to accomplish it. First, describe the difference between what the narrator calls "art" with a lowercase a and "Art" with an uppercase A. Then, describe the narrator's opinions of the art community as a whole. Do you agree with the narrator's opinions of art? Finally, describe how the narrator's opinions of art reflect his feeling about this novel. Be sure to choose at least two scenes from the novel that you think best exemplify and strengthen your argument and describe them in this essay.
Essay Topic 3
Kneadus's main goal for the entire novel is to locate and connect with the farmhand. First, describe the character of the farmhand. What makes this character so desirable to outsiders? Then, describe how Kneadus finally met the farmhand he was searching for. What was the outcome of this meeting? Finally, describe the outside reaction to the idea that a master could befriend a servant. How did this reaction directly affect the relationship between Kneadus and his farmhand?
This section contains 1,052 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)