|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following items is not something Uncle demands from the servant to show him his place in the household?
2. According to the narrator, who is the counter-balance to Filibert?
3. What tragic event happens to the Marquis's wife as she is watching the gentlemen ride up to her husband?
(a) She is run over by the marching horses.
(b) Her heart stops beating.
(c) She faints and hits her head.
(d) She miscarries her pregnancy.
4. How do the Youngbloods react when they see Kopyrda in their daughter's bedroom?
(a) They beat him mercilessly.
(b) They laugh.
(c) They scream.
(d) They call the police.
5. What nickname does Joey give to the schoolgirl that causes her parents to burst out in giggles?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mr. Youngblood react when Mrs. Youngblood tells him he is acting childishly?
2. What do the sophisticated members of the tennis audience do when they see the brawl breaking out?
3. What part of Mrs. Youngblood's body are particularly white and grotesque to Joey?
4. Which of the following adjectives best describes the conversations the Youngblood family has around the dinner table each night?
5. How does Syphus kill himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Joey and Kneadus fare while searching for the farmhand in the city?
2. Why does Joey create a peephole between his bedroom and Zuta's bedroom?
3. Why does Joey alter the fruit compote he is served for dessert with the Youngblood family?
4. How does Mrs. Youngblood react when she realizes that Joey is in love with Zuta?
5. What motivation does the narrator say he has for wanting to be a storyteller?
6. How does Joey feel about the decorations in Mrs. Youngblood's bedroom?
7. What does the narrator of the novel believe is the worst form of torture in the world?
8. Why does Joey end up in a field at the end of the novel?
9. What causes the epileptic seizure that frightens the crowd of spectators at the tennis match?
10. Who starts the final brawl of the novel?
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)