|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sound do the boys hear as they make their way to the outskirts of the city?
(a) Dogs barking.
(b) Roosters crowing.
(c) Monkeys howling.
(d) Cats mewling.
2. What are the peasants on the outskirts of town afraid the boys have come to steal from them?
(a) Their food.
(b) Their souls.
(c) Their good.
(d) Their money.
3. What do the sophisticated members of the tennis audience do when they see the brawl breaking out?
(a) The ignore the commotion.
(b) They gasp.
(c) They applaud.
(d) They exit the arena.
4. What does Joey's Aunt Hurlecka keep in the pockets of her apron?
5. What part about Mrs. Youngblood is particularly annoying to Joey when he thinks about her?
(a) Her stained teeth.
(b) Her height.
(c) Her sense of humor.
(d) Her weight.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the schoolgirl respond when her parents ask her who the young boy was they saw her with?
2. What does Uncle find the valet doing for Kneadus out in the woods, which enrages him?
3. What action does Joey perform in Mrs. Youngblood's bedroom?
4. Which of the following adjectives does not describe the peasant Joey spots hiding in the outskirts of the city?
5. While she is doing her language homework, how does Zuta feel about the confrontation that happened at the dinner table earlier that night?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator of the novel think about symmetry?
2. How does the crowd at the tennis match respond to all the craziness going on around the field?
3. What motivation does the narrator say he has for wanting to be a storyteller?
4. How does Joey feel about the decorations in Mrs. Youngblood's bedroom?
5. What are Valek and Kneadus doing in the woods when Auntie and Uncle find them there?
6. What happens when Pimko also arrives outside Zuta's window while Kopyrda is still inside?
7. How does Mrs. Youngblood react when she sees Zuta walking down the street with a boy she doesn't know?
8. What causes the epileptic seizure that frightens the crowd of spectators at the tennis match?
9. How does the narrator explain his beliefs that all art is an imitation?
10. How does Kneadus react when he sees the farmhand he has been searching for working at Auntie's house?
This section contains 1,007 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)