|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Joey believe a writer's job should be?
(a) Speaking in a voice that represents the masses.
(b) Speaking so no one can understand what you're saying.
(c) Speaking so the people understand you.
(d) Speaking in one's own true voice.
2. According to the narrator, what are all writers dependent on above all else?
3. Who do the children on the playground think Pimko is when they see him writing notes in hiding?
(a) An escaped criminal.
(b) The school inspector.
(c) The school nurse.
(d) A police officer.
4. What is the name of the "cool student" who refuses to take sides in the schoolyard brawl between Kneadus and Syphon?
5. Which of the following characters does the schoolgirl remind Joey of when he first meets her?
Short Answer Questions
1. After experiencing the dream in which the apparition waves to him, what does Joey feel most inspired to do when he wakes up?
2. Who does Kneadus challenge to a dual of pulling faces?
3. How do the children react when they read Pimko's notes about their behavior?
4. What does the schoolgirl do to pass her time while she is waiting for her parents to get home after Joey arrives?
5. Who does Kneadus attack upon entering the Youngblood home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of literary critic does the narrator despise?
2. Who is Doctor Momsen?
3. What community does the narrator claim is the stupidest community of all, and why?
4. What is Joey's first impression of Zuta when he sees her?
5. How do the school kids respond when they see Pimko spying on them, taking notes?
6. What is Mrs. Youngblood's reaction to Joey's age?
7. How do the students in Joey's classroom treat their teachers?
8. How does the narrator feel about Chopin?
9. At the opening of the novel, how does Joey feel when he first wakes from sleep?
10. How does Joey react when Zuta calls him a clown?
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)