|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wins in the pistol shootout between Momsen and Filibur?
(a) The men tie.
(d) Neither man wins.
2. Instead of acknowledging that Kneadus and Syphus are fighting, what does Pimko insist the boys are doing?
(a) Wrestling for honor.
(c) Reading the newspaper.
(d) Playing ball.
3. What is the schoolgirl doing when Joey barges into her bedroom after the phone call?
(a) She is knitting a pair of socks.
(b) She is polishing her shoes.
(c) She is sewing a button on a jacket.
(d) She is ironing her pants.
4. Which of the following sciences does Professor Filidor study?
5. What does the schoolgirl do to pass her time while she is waiting for her parents to get home after Joey arrives?
(a) She braids her hair.
(b) She brushes her teeth.
(c) She picks at her skin.
(d) She paints her toenails.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator think will happen to a novel in which the first word is heroic?
2. At what time of day does Pimko drop Joey off at the Piórkowski school?
3. Which of the following familial groups has the largest influence on the way Joey lives his life?
4. How do the children react when they read Pimko's notes about their behavior?
5. How does Joey feel about having to stay with the Youngbloods while he is in school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mrs. Youngblood's reaction to Joey's age?
2. How does the dual between Filidor and Momsen end?
3. How does Dr. Pimko react when he reads the writing Joey has completed after waking from his strange dream?
4. What is Joey's first impression of Zuta when he sees her?
5. How does the narrator feel about Chopin?
6. What complaint does the teacher have when Pimko drops Joey off for his first day of school?
7. Why does Kneadus burst into the Youngblood family home soon after Joey moves in with the family?
8. What reason does Joey give for his own personal struggle with immaturity?
9. How do the students in Joey's class respond when they are asked to translate Latin?
10. Who are the Youngbloods?
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)