|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many individual forms of torture does the narrator believe there are in the world?
2. How does Mr. Youngblood react when Mrs. Youngblood tells him he is acting childishly?
(a) He slaps her across the face.
(b) He begins to cry.
(c) He ignores her completely.
(d) He storms out of the house.
3. What tragic event happens to the Marquis's wife as she is watching the gentlemen ride up to her husband?
(a) She miscarries her pregnancy.
(b) She faints and hits her head.
(c) Her heart stops beating.
(d) She is run over by the marching horses.
4. What sound do the boys hear as they make their way to the outskirts of the city?
(a) Cats mewling.
(b) Roosters crowing.
(c) Dogs barking.
(d) Monkeys howling.
5. What action does Joey perform in Mrs. Youngblood's bedroom?
(a) He rifles through her underwear drawer.
(b) He steals her pocket change.
(c) He dances on her floors.
(d) He sleeps in her bed.
6. What does Joey find inside Zuta's tennis shoe that makes his heart beat quickly?
(a) A pair of her lacy underwear.
(b) A book about communism.
(c) A photograph of him.
(d) A carnation.
7. What other character attempts to climb through Zuta's window, professing undying love for her?
8. How does Mrs. Youngblood feel about the prospect of her young daughter getting pregnant?
(a) She hasn't ever thought of it.
(b) She is frightened by the thought.
(c) She doesn't care.
(d) She is sure it will happen.
9. Who does Joey run into a field with at the end of the novel?
(a) His aunt.
(b) His uncle.
(c) His cousin.
(d) His valet.
10. What part of Mrs. Youngblood's body are particularly white and grotesque to Joey?
(a) Her calves.
(b) Her thighs.
(c) Her hands.
(d) Her shoulders.
11. How long did Joey live in his childhood home before his family moved away?
(a) 20 years.
(b) 5 years.
(c) 15 years.
(d) 10 years.
12. How does Syphus kill himself?
(a) He shoots himself.
(b) He poisons himself.
(c) He drowns himself.
(d) He hangs himself.
13. What does the narrator claim all stories are broken down into?
(a) Paragraphs and sentences.
(b) Black and white.
(c) Innumerable tiny parts.
(d) Emotions and responses.
14. Which of the following is not something Joey adds to his fruit compote in the hopes of getting a laugh from the family?
15. What happens when the ship owner's wife slaps the man sitting next to her?
(a) The man has a seizure.
(b) The man slaps her back.
(c) The man vomits.
(d) The man blacks out.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following items is not something Uncle demands from the servant to show him his place in the household?
2. What animal is Uncle most afraid of in the wild?
3. What part of Kopyrda's outfit does Joey find lying on Zuta's bedroom floor?
4. In what types of positions does Joey hope he catches Zuta in while peeping on her?
5. What language does Zuta study in school?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)