|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What beverage does Kneadus bring over to drink with Joey in his new home?
2. Which of the following nicknames does Dr. Pimko give to Joey?
(a) Little Puppy.
(b) Little Bunny.
(c) Little Fishie.
(d) Little Chickie.
3. Which musician does the narrator claim audiences appreciate only because the larger musical world tells them to?
4. Where does Joey think he is going in life?
(a) Joey thinks he's headed for failure.
(b) Joey doesn't think he's going anywhere.
(c) Joey thinks he's headed toward success.
(d) Joey thinks he's going to careen out of control.
5. How old is Joey at the opening of the novel?
6. Which of the following adjectives best describes Doctor T. Pimko?
7. As Momsen and Filibur walk away from each other after the dual, what do they throw at each other?
(a) Hand grenades.
(d) Clods of dirt.
8. What sound signifies the end of class at Joey's school?
(a) A rooster crowing.
(b) A cricket chirping.
(c) A bell ringing.
(d) A baby crying.
9. What insect does Kneadus eat as counter-attack to the first face in the dual?
(a) A beetle.
(b) An ant.
(c) A fly.
(d) A cricket.
10. Which of the following groups of people does Kneadus praise?
11. Which of the following characters doesn't know who Norwid is?
(c) Mr. Youngblood.
(d) The schoolgirl.
12. What does the schoolgirl do to pass her time while she is waiting for her parents to get home after Joey arrives?
(a) She braids her hair.
(b) She paints her toenails.
(c) She picks at her skin.
(d) She brushes her teeth.
13. Which of the following topics of conversation is not one Pimko quizzes Joey on in his bedroom?
(a) Hellenic civilizations.
(b) Obscure sixteenth-century writers.
(c) King Ladislas.
(d) Russian Huguenots.
14. According to the narrator, what are all writers dependent on above all else?
15. Which of the following metaphors does the narrator use to describe the way a novel is constructed?
(a) Like a rainbow.
(b) Like a pot of stew.
(c) Like a human body.
(d) Like a house.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Filibur know he must slap Momsen to save his wife's life?
2. Which of the following adjectives is not used by Joey to describe the schoolgirl when he sees her for the first time?
3. What language does Joey's class work on translating, even though no one is prepared?
4. Which of the following is not an excuse students give in the English classroom to ensure they won't have to speak about the assigned poetry?
5. How do the children react when they read Pimko's notes about their behavior?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)