|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following actions is not something the children do to try to prove Pimko wrong in his theories about them?
(a) They start shredding his notes.
(b) They start fighting.
(c) They start writing graffiti.
(d) They start swearing.
2. What does the narrator think will happen to a novel in which the first word is heroic?
(a) The novel will ultimately fail.
(b) The author will feel trapped by that word.
(c) The novel will end on a note of desperation.
(d) The author will be confused with his intentions.
3. What does Joey dream about at the opening of the novel?
(a) Fighting a bull.
(b) Lassoing a hog.
(c) Catching a train.
(d) Canoeing down a river.
4. Which verb does the teacher want the students to translate even though they are not interested?
5. Who does Kneadus choose as his second in defense during the dual?
6. How long does it take the teacher to convince the contrary student that Slowacki's poetry is, indeed, his favorite?
(a) 15 minutes.
(b) 60 minutes.
(c) 30 minutes.
(d) 45 minutes.
7. According to the narrator, what are all writers dependent on above all else?
8. Which of the following groups of people does not have major control over Joey's opinion of himself?
(a) His parents.
(b) School girls.
(c) Office clerks.
9. What does Joey believe a writer's job should be?
(a) Speaking in one's own true voice.
(b) Speaking in a voice that represents the masses.
(c) Speaking so no one can understand what you're saying.
(d) Speaking so the people understand you.
10. When Joey storms back into the schoolgirl's bedroom, what blinds him upon entry?
(a) The radiator.
(b) The sun.
(c) The candles.
(d) The lamp.
11. What fruit is the narrator interested in knowing the reader's opinion of?
12. How old is Joey at the opening of the novel?
13. What does Mr. Youngblood do for a living?
(a) He is a teacher.
(b) He is a blacksmith.
(c) He is a dentist.
(d) He is an engineer.
14. How do the students in Joey's classroom react when they meet him for the first time?
(a) They beat him up.
(b) They welcome him.
(c) They ignore him.
(d) They tease him.
15. Which of the following characters does the schoolgirl remind Joey of when he first meets her?
Short Answer Questions
1. As Momsen and Filibur walk away from each other after the dual, what do they throw at each other?
2. What grade does the teacher give to all the students to translate languages?
3. Where will Joey be sleeping in relation to where the schoolgirl will be sleeping?
4. What is the name of the gang of boys Syphon puts together?
5. According to the narrator, what are all underdeveloped artists bound to create?
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)