|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following metaphors does the narrator use to describe the way a novel is constructed?
(a) Like a pot of stew.
(b) Like a house.
(c) Like a human body.
(d) Like a rainbow.
2. According to the narrator, what are all underdeveloped artists bound to create?
(a) Mediocre art.
(b) They will not be creating art at all.
(c) Terrible art.
(d) Brilliant art.
3. Who does Kneadus challenge to a dual of pulling faces?
4. How much money does Filibur spend to get his wife's health back to normal?
5. What beverage does Kneadus bring over to drink with Joey in his new home?
6. What grade does Joey enroll in at the Piórkowski school?
(a) Eight grade.
(b) Forth grade.
(c) Second grade.
(d) Sixth grade.
7. What does Joey chew on while he listens to the schoolgirl talk with a friend on the phone?
(a) The collar of his shirt.
(b) A ball of licorice.
(c) A stick of chewing gum.
(d) A toothpick.
8. What does the teacher complain to Pimko about in regard to his students?
(a) That his students aren't smart enough.
(b) That his students aren't mature enough.
(c) That his students aren't immature enough.
(d) That his students aren't dumb enough.
9. How long does it take the teacher to convince the contrary student that Slowacki's poetry is, indeed, his favorite?
(a) 15 minutes.
(b) 60 minutes.
(c) 30 minutes.
(d) 45 minutes.
10. Instead of acknowledging that Kneadus and Syphus are fighting, what does Pimko insist the boys are doing?
(b) Playing ball.
(c) Wrestling for honor.
(d) Reading the newspaper.
11. Who wins in the pistol shootout between Momsen and Filibur?
(b) Neither man wins.
(c) The men tie.
12. What insect does Kneadus eat as counter-attack to the first face in the dual?
(a) A fly.
(b) An ant.
(c) A cricket.
(d) A beetle.
13. How do the students in Joey's classroom react when they meet him for the first time?
(a) They tease him.
(b) They ignore him.
(c) They beat him up.
(d) They welcome him.
14. Which musician does the narrator claim audiences appreciate only because the larger musical world tells them to?
15. How does Mrs. Youngblood react when the schoolgirl kicks Joey?
(a) She scolds Joey.
(b) She laughs.
(c) She slaps her daughter.
(d) She ignores it.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Joey storms back into the schoolgirl's bedroom, what blinds him upon entry?
2. Which of the following adjectives is not used by Joey to describe the schoolgirl when he sees her for the first time?
3. What is the name of the schoolgirl's friend who drinks whiskey?
4. What does the narrator think will happen to a novel in which the first word is heroic?
5. What physical change does Joey feel in his body as he is speaking with Dr. Pimko?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)