|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 2, Scene 4, after Bono leaves, Cory tries to do what?
2. How long has it been since Bono has been by to see Troy?
3. When Cory comes out and tries to free Rose from Troy's grip, what does Troy do?
4. Which of the following is NOT included in Old Blue's song?
5. How many children has Rose actually given birth to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the issue of racial prejudice in the play, both in terms of what are factual issues addressed and what are problems for which Troy claims exist only because of the domination of the white man over the black man.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how the relationship between Cory and Troy evolves from the beginning to the end of the play. Include such factors as Cory's early obedience to his father, his growing defiance, and his attitude at the end of the play.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how the August Wilson poem, which appears before the play, applies to the play's characters and themes.
"When the sins of our fathers visit us
We do not have to play house.
We can banish them with forgiveness
As God, in His Largeness and his Laws."
This section contains 295 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)