|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Troy doing with the baby as Rose comes out from the house and listens to him?
2. What does Troy tell Cory after he has tried to free Rose?
3. At the end of the play, why does Lyons go into the house?
4. When Rose comes out, Gabriel arrives prepared to do what?
5. What is Rose's reaction when Troy asks her to help take care of Alberta's baby?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the issue of racial prejudice in the play, both in terms of what are factual issues addressed and what are problems for which Troy claims exist only because of the domination of the white man over the black man.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the specific events which lead to Troy's downfall. Mention each character in the book and how Troy's loss of control is manifested by each.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the structure of the play, examining the time frame during which the play is set. How does Wilson alert the audience/reader to the passage of time from scene to scene? In your analysis, include your ideas about why Wilson made the decision to start the play when Cory was a high school student and end it nearly eight years later. Discuss the ways changes in other characters could only have been accomplished by using that time frame.
This section contains 347 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)