|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After several months have passed since Troy revealed his affair to Rose, how often has Troy been at home?
2. At the beginning of the Act 2, Scene 5, the first time we see Raynell, why is she in the yard when Cory arrives?
3. Where do Troy and Bono come home from at the beginning of Act 2?
4. Why has Troy been busy at work?
5. At the very end of the play, who is NOT there watching Gabriel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the reason(s) why Cory may have chosen a different path for himself by the end of the play, explaining how it seemed from the beginning of the play that history might be repeating itself in the story of father and son.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Rose's decision to raise the baby Troy fathered with another woman. In what way is her decision a reflection of her characteristics throughout the play? In what way does her decision change her relationship with Troy? In what way does her decision change her life both positively and negatively?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the structure of the play, examining the time frame during which the play is set. How does Wilson alert the audience/reader to the passage of time from scene to scene? In your analysis, include your ideas about why Wilson made the decision to start the play when Cory was a high school student and end it nearly eight years later. Discuss the ways changes in other characters could only have been accomplished by using that time frame.
This section contains 345 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)