|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of the Act 2, Scene 5, the first time we see Raynell, why is she in the yard when Cory arrives?
2. What does Lyons tell Cory that Troy always said about trouble?
3. Once Rose and Troy are alone, what does Rose say about Troy's affair?
4. What does Troy say that he can't stand Cory doing?
5. Troy stops the conversation with Rose about his affair by saying he is going ________ (fill in the blank).
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how foreshadowing is used effectively in the play. Give examples of at least five instances in which foreshadowing comes into play--both from the standpoint of the foreshadowing itself and the event or dialogue it predicts.
Essay Topic 2
Using ideas from the play, explain why you think August Wilson chose to call his play "Fences." In addition to discussing the fence which Troy builds around his house, include your ideas about what other fences exist in the play and why the fence serves as a strong symbol in the play.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the specific events which lead to Troy's downfall. Mention each character in the book and how Troy's loss of control is manifested by each.
This section contains 335 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)