|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT included in Old Blue's song?
2. Which character in the play lived with Troy and Rose at one time?
3. Who does Troy say will see in the future what he's really made of?
4. What is Rose doing when Troy arrives home with his and Alberta's baby?
5. When Rose tells Troy to come inside for lunch, what does he tell her about his affair with another woman?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using ideas from the play, explain why you think August Wilson chose to call his play "Fences." In addition to discussing the fence which Troy builds around his house, include your ideas about what other fences exist in the play and why the fence serves as a strong symbol in the play.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how the August Wilson poem, which appears before the play, applies to the play's characters and themes.
"When the sins of our fathers visit us
We do not have to play house.
We can banish them with forgiveness
As God, in His Largeness and his Laws."
Essay Topic 3
Analyze how money affects the following characters: Troy, Cory, and Lyons. Explain why money is an issue for each and what each character does about the issue during the course of the play.
This section contains 1,009 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)