|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children has Rose actually given birth to?
2. Where does Rose go in Act 2, Scene 4?
3. Which character in the play lived with Troy and Rose at one time?
4. What does Bono answer in reply to Cory's question about why they need a fence?
5. After Troy reveals his affair, what does Rose tell Troy about her dreams?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the reason(s) why Cory may have chosen a different path for himself by the end of the play, explaining how it seemed from the beginning of the play that history might be repeating itself in the story of father and son.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Troy's childhood, explaining what happened to his mother and how his father forced him to leave home. Examine what effect those childhood experiences have on his personality and his actions.
Essay Topic 3
Using ideas from the play, explain why you think August Wilson chose to call his play "Fences." In addition to discussing the fence which Troy builds around his house, include your ideas about what other fences exist in the play and why the fence serves as a strong symbol in the play.
This section contains 321 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)