|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Rose agrees to take care of the baby, what does she say Troy will be from that moment on?
2. Why does Troy say he will take care of the baby?
3. When Troy goes towards Cory to hit him, how does Cory defend himself?
4. In his monologue, what does Troy say he's going to finish?
5. Where does Rose go in Act 2, Scene 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the ways in which Troy's storytelling reveals his ideas about life. In your analysis, include his conversations with and stories about talking with Death, his story about dealing with the devil, and at least one other story.
Essay Topic 2
In the play, Rose reveals an early theme of the play when she states, "Some people don't know that improving their lives is possible." Discuss this theme as it applies to Troy. What is Troy's opinion of this idea? Why does he feel the way he does?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the play, Troy constantly feels the need to control the lives of others. Analyze how Troy controls--or tries to control--the lives of Rose, Cory, and Gabriel. In each instance, give specific examples and explain to what extent these characters have improved the control of their own lives by the end of the play.
This section contains 302 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)