|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Bono tells Troy he'll be back on Monday, what does Troy say?
2. Under what circumstances was Gabriel injured, leaving him with a brass plate in his head?
3. As the first Act closes, what does Troy tell Cory he'd better be careful not to do?
4. After working silently for a while with Troy, Cory tries to make small talk about baseball and Troy makes which of the following comments?
5. What does Cory tell Troy about the football recruiter who has watched Cory play with his high school team?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Lyons arrives in Act 1, Scene 4, Gabriel reveals to Rose that he thinks Troy is mad at him for what reason?
2. How does Rose respond to Bono when he wonders why he stayed at his lousy first home so long?
3. Why does Gabriel say that, although Rose and Troy's names are in Saint Peter's book, his name is not?
4. Where is Rose taking Raynell and a cake?
5. What warning does Bono give Troy about Rose?
6. What story does Troy tell about the time he met the devil?
7. How does Cory respond when Troy tells him how much he has done for Cory?
8. What does Troy remind Rose about Gabriel's compensation?
9. What does Troy say in response to Bono's comment that he's been spending a lot of time with a woman named Alberta?
10. What does Lyons tell Cory when Cory says he can't find a job?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the August Wilson poem, which appears before the play, applies to the play's characters and themes.
"When the sins of our fathers visit us
We do not have to play house.
We can banish them with forgiveness
As God, in His Largeness and his Laws."
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the reason(s) why Cory may have chosen a different path for himself by the end of the play, explaining how it seemed from the beginning of the play that history might be repeating itself in the story of father and son.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship between Rose and Troy. In your analysis, include the following topics: Rose's ultimatum to Troy before they married, Troy's treatment of Rose and her treatment of him throughout the play, Rose's reaction to Troy's affair, and ways in which the couple's relationship changes by the end of the play.
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)