|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Troy assume Lyons is doing when he puts his hand in his pocket?
2. As Cory runs out of the house, late for a game, what does Rose say to him?
3. Under what circumstances was Gabriel injured, leaving him with a brass plate in his head?
4. What does Bono say about his first home in response to Rose and Tony talking about their home?
5. Why does Troy tell Rose to go back inside?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Cory come home after having been gone for years, how is he dressed?
2. Why does Troy say that it doesn't matter that he doesn't have a driver's license?
3. For what reason does Troy rightly assume that Lyons has come to see them?
4. What does Rose tell Troy he should do when the recruiter comes?
5. What does Troy say when Rose wonders who's going to bury Alberta?
6. During their argument about Alberta, Troy grasps Rose's arm; how does Rose get free from Troy's grasp?
7. What outside chore does Troy want Cory to help him with when Cory comes home from football practice?
8. What does Troy say in response to Rose's comment that their son Cory is being scouted by a recruiter?
9. Why is Troy, many months after revealing his affair, still coming home every night?
10. What story does Troy tell about the time he met the devil?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using ideas from the play, explain why you think August Wilson chose to call his play "Fences." In addition to discussing the fence which Troy builds around his house, include your ideas about what other fences exist in the play and why the fence serves as a strong symbol in the play.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Troy's childhood, explaining what happened to his mother and how his father forced him to leave home. Examine what effect those childhood experiences have on his personality and his actions.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the specific events which lead to Troy's downfall. Mention each character in the book and how Troy's loss of control is manifested by each.
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)