|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While they are working together, for what reason does Troy say Cory should be grateful to him?
2. What does Troy say about Alberta?
3. As Cory runs out of the house, late for a game, what does Rose say to him?
4. What does Rose say is the reason that Troy never played in the major leagues?
5. What does Troy say would have happened if he hadn't taken charge of Gabriel's money?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Troy feel he is being treated unfairly at work?
2. Why is Troy, many months after revealing his affair, still coming home every night?
3. Why does Gabriel say that the bad men arrested him?
4. What does Rose tell Troy he should do when the recruiter comes?
5. What does Troy say to his baby daughter?
6. When Cory comes home from football practice, why is Rose upset with him?
7. What story does Troy tell about the time he saw Death in person?
8. Why does Troy say that he is not planning to give Alberta up?
9. Why is Rose upset with Cory when he leaves for a football game?
10. What does Troy say about the Negro Leagues in baseball?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the character of Lyons. How he is related to the other characters in the book? What are his dreams and difficulties? Why might the playwright have included Lyons' character?
Essay Topic 2
Using ideas from the play, explain why you think August Wilson chose to call his play "Fences." In addition to discussing the fence which Troy builds around his house, include your ideas about what other fences exist in the play and why the fence serves as a strong symbol in the play.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the issue of racial prejudice in the play, both in terms of what are factual issues addressed and what are problems for which Troy claims exist only because of the domination of the white man over the black man.
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)