|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cory tell Troy about the football recruiter who has watched Cory play with his high school team?
2. Why does Troy want to know where Cory is in Act 1, Scene 2?
3. What is Troy's response to Rose's argument that times have changed?
4. What descriptive word does Troy use when he complains about Cory to Rose?
5. When Rose remarks that a neighbor won some money in the lottery, what opinion does Troy express?
Short Essay Questions
1. Gabriel is no longer living at the boarding house; where has he now been taken?
2. What does Troy say in response to Rose's comment on a neighbor who won some money playing the lottery?
3. How does Rose respond to Bono when he wonders why he stayed at his lousy first home so long?
4. When Troy and Bono come home after Cory has left for the game, why are they celebrating?
5. Why is Rose upset with Cory when he leaves for a football game?
6. While Troy and Bono are celebrating, for what reason does Lyons come to see Rose and Troy?
7. When Bono arrives at the house, for what reason is it revealed that Bono and Troy haven't seen each other for months?
8. Why is Troy, many months after revealing his affair, still coming home every night?
9. When Troy complains that Cory is lazy, how does Rose respond?
10. Under what circumstances did Gabriel receive the injury which resulted in a metal plate being placed in his head?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Troy's childhood, explaining what happened to his mother and how his father forced him to leave home. Examine what effect those childhood experiences have on his personality and his actions.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how the August Wilson poem, which appears before the play, applies to the play's characters and themes.
"When the sins of our fathers visit us
We do not have to play house.
We can banish them with forgiveness
As God, in His Largeness and his Laws."
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship between Rose and Troy. In your analysis, include the following topics: Rose's ultimatum to Troy before they married, Troy's treatment of Rose and her treatment of him throughout the play, Rose's reaction to Troy's affair, and ways in which the couple's relationship changes by the end of the play.
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)