|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Troy say that he has to do because he is afraid of the devil?
2. What does Troy say about his faithfulness to Rose?
3. What does Troy say about his boss?
4. In response to what Rose tells him to do, what does Troy say he will do when the recruiter comes to the house?
5. According to Rose, where has Cory gone?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Troy say he left home when he was a young man?
2. Who does Gabriel think he is?
3. What outside chore does Troy want Cory to help him with when Cory comes home from football practice?
4. When Troy is left alone in the yard, to whom does he speak?
5. How does Cory respond when Troy tells him how much he has done for Cory?
6. What does Troy say in response to Bono's comment that he's been spending a lot of time with a woman named Alberta?
7. When Cory come home after having been gone for years, how is he dressed?
8. What reason does Bono give Cory when he asks why Rose wants a fence?
9. After Lyons leaves, and Cory is left alone in the yard, what does he do, unaware that Troy is watching him?
10. What did Troy finish before he died?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how the relationship between Cory and Troy evolves from the beginning to the end of the play. Include such factors as Cory's early obedience to his father, his growing defiance, and his attitude at the end of the play.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the final moments of the play and explain the symbolism of Gabriel's words and actions.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship between Rose and Troy. In your analysis, include the following topics: Rose's ultimatum to Troy before they married, Troy's treatment of Rose and her treatment of him throughout the play, Rose's reaction to Troy's affair, and ways in which the couple's relationship changes by the end of the play.
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)