|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Troy say about Alberta?
2. When Troy complains about Cory, what does Rose ask Troy?
3. Who does Gabriel tell Troy he has eaten with that morning?
4. Why does Gabriel think Troy is mad at him?
5. After Rose leaves, what information about Cory does Troy reveal to Bono and Lyons?
Short Essay Questions
1. What outside chore does Troy want Cory to help him with when Cory comes home from football practice?
2. What did Gabriel receive as compensation for his injury?
3. Why does Gabriel say that, although Rose and Troy's names are in Saint Peter's book, his name is not?
4. What does Troy remind Rose about Gabriel's compensation?
5. Why does Troy say that he is not planning to give Alberta up?
6. When he comes home for Troy's funeral, what does Cory find out that Lyons has been doing over the last few years?
7. Why did the hospital call Troy after Alberta's death?
8. What does Gabriel do at the end of the play?
9. What does Troy say in response to Bono's comment that he's been spending a lot of time with a woman named Alberta?
10. When Bono arrives at the house, for what reason is it revealed that Bono and Troy haven't seen each other for months?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Troy's childhood, explaining what happened to his mother and how his father forced him to leave home. Examine what effect those childhood experiences have on his personality and his actions.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the evolution of Troy and Bono's relationship, explaining how long the two had been friends, how their relationship could be described at the beginning of the play, as well as how and why it changed by the end of the play.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the structure of the play, examining the time frame during which the play is set. How does Wilson alert the audience/reader to the passage of time from scene to scene? In your analysis, include your ideas about why Wilson made the decision to start the play when Cory was a high school student and end it nearly eight years later. Discuss the ways changes in other characters could only have been accomplished by using that time frame.
This section contains 1,315 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)