|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which two characters have told stories which are not entirely based on reality?
2. Why does Gabriel suddenly run off from Rose and Troy's yard?
3. When Gabriel first appears, what is he carrying?
4. As the first Act closes, what does Troy tell Cory he'd better be careful not to do?
5. How are Gabriel and Lyons related?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has Bono been doing on Friday nights instead of drinking beer with Troy?
2. Under what circumstances did Gabriel receive the injury which resulted in a metal plate being placed in his head?
3. What did Troy finish before he died?
4. What story does Troy tell about the time he saw Death in person?
5. What does Rose tell Troy he should do when the recruiter comes?
6. For what reason does Troy rightly assume that Lyons has come to see them?
7. Why does Troy feel he is being treated unfairly at work?
8. What does Troy say in response to Cory's question about why Troy has never liked him?
9. When Troy is left alone in the yard, to whom does he speak?
10. When Troy and Bono come home after Cory has left for the game, why are they celebrating?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the ways in which baseball terms are used metaphorically throughout the play. Give examples of when and how at least a dozen terms are used.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the character of Lyons. How he is related to the other characters in the book? What are his dreams and difficulties? Why might the playwright have included Lyons' character?
Essay Topic 3
In the play, Rose reveals an early theme of the play when she states, "Some people don't know that improving their lives is possible." Discuss this theme as it applies to Troy. What is Troy's opinion of this idea? Why does he feel the way he does?
This section contains 1,239 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)