|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Rose sends Cory out to help Troy, what do Cory and Troy work on silently for some time before talking to each other?
2. What does Troy remember about his own father?
3. What does Rose say about the possibility of improving one's life?
4. What is Rose doing when Cory returns home from football practice?
5. What does Troy say would have happened if he hadn't taken charge of Gabriel's money?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Lyons leaves, and Cory is left alone in the yard, what does he do, unaware that Troy is watching him?
2. When he comes home for Troy's funeral, what does Cory find out that Lyons has been doing over the last few years?
3. Why does Troy say that he is not planning to give Alberta up?
4. Why does Cory say he has come home for Troy's funeral?
5. What does Rose say was the reason why Troy never got to play in the major leagues?
6. Why does Troy say that it doesn't matter that he doesn't have a driver's license?
7. When Bono arrives at the house, for what reason is it revealed that Bono and Troy haven't seen each other for months?
8. What is Troy's answer to Rose's question about why he won't let Cory play football?
9. Under what circumstances did Gabriel receive the injury which resulted in a metal plate being placed in his head?
10. What does Lyons tell Cory when Cory says he can't find a job?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using ideas from the play, explain why you think August Wilson chose to call his play "Fences." In addition to discussing the fence which Troy builds around his house, include your ideas about what other fences exist in the play and why the fence serves as a strong symbol in the play.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the final moments of the play and explain the symbolism of Gabriel's words and actions.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the character of Lyons. How he is related to the other characters in the book? What are his dreams and difficulties? Why might the playwright have included Lyons' character?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)