|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Troy says that blacks or Hispanics aren't being allowed to play baseball to their potential, how does Cory respond?
2. What does Troy say would have happened if he hadn't taken charge of Gabriel's money?
3. Troy says that all he's got strength to do is __________ (fill in the blank).
4. Where does the money come from that Rose gives Lyons?
5. When Rose appears in Act 1, why does Bono say he doesn't want to stay for dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Rose upset with Cory when he leaves for a football game?
2. Under what circumstances did Gabriel receive the injury which resulted in a metal plate being placed in his head?
3. What does Troy say in response to Rose's comment that their son Cory is being scouted by a recruiter?
4. When Cory answers a question about school by simply saying "yeah," what does Troy say to Cory?
5. Why does Troy feel he is being treated unfairly at work?
6. Why does Troy say he left home when he was a young man?
7. When Cory comes home from football practice, why is Rose upset with him?
8. During their argument about Alberta, Troy grasps Rose's arm; how does Rose get free from Troy's grasp?
9. After Bono and Troy's conversation about Alberta, Bono leaves and then Troy confesses what to Rose?
10. What is Troy's answer to Rose's question about why he won't let Cory play football?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the ways in which Troy's storytelling reveals his ideas about life. In your analysis, include his conversations with and stories about talking with Death, his story about dealing with the devil, and at least one other story.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the relationship between Rose and Troy. In your analysis, include the following topics: Rose's ultimatum to Troy before they married, Troy's treatment of Rose and her treatment of him throughout the play, Rose's reaction to Troy's affair, and ways in which the couple's relationship changes by the end of the play.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Troy's attitude toward responsibility. Explain in detail what actions Troy takes in the play based on the importance he places on acting responsibly.
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)