|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Rose leaves, what information about Cory does Troy reveal to Bono and Lyons?
2. What does Troy remember about his own father?
3. What does Troy say about Alberta?
4. What does Cory tell Troy about his job?
5. Who lives with Rose and Troy?
Short Essay Questions
1. During their argument about Alberta, Troy grasps Rose's arm; how does Rose get free from Troy's grasp?
2. Why does Gabriel say that, although Rose and Troy's names are in Saint Peter's book, his name is not?
3. What outside chore does Troy want Cory to help him with when Cory comes home from football practice?
4. What does Troy say in response to Cory's question about why Troy has never liked him?
5. Where is Rose taking Raynell and a cake?
6. Why is Troy upset about the $50 bail needed to get Gabriel out of jail?
7. What has Bono been doing on Friday nights instead of drinking beer with Troy?
8. What does Troy say in response to Rose's comment that their son Cory is being scouted by a recruiter?
9. When Troy and Bono come home after Cory has left for the game, why are they celebrating?
10. What is Rose's response to Troy's confession about Alberta?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the August Wilson poem, which appears before the play, applies to the play's characters and themes.
"When the sins of our fathers visit us
We do not have to play house.
We can banish them with forgiveness
As God, in His Largeness and his Laws."
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the structure of the play, examining the time frame during which the play is set. How does Wilson alert the audience/reader to the passage of time from scene to scene? In your analysis, include your ideas about why Wilson made the decision to start the play when Cory was a high school student and end it nearly eight years later. Discuss the ways changes in other characters could only have been accomplished by using that time frame.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the ways in which Troy's storytelling reveals his ideas about life. In your analysis, include his conversations with and stories about talking with Death, his story about dealing with the devil, and at least one other story.
This section contains 1,300 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)