|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Cory work?
2. What does Rose say is the reason that Troy never played in the major leagues?
3. As Troy complains about how everybody manages his money for him, Gabriel arrives carrying what?
4. On the day the play begins, what did the boss do when he caught Troy and Bono's co-worker doing something wrong?
5. What prompts Troy to tell a long story about how he saw Death in person?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Troy go to prison as a young man?
2. Why does Troy say that it doesn't matter that he doesn't have a driver's license?
3. Why does Gabriel say that the bad men arrested him?
4. Where is Rose taking Raynell and a cake?
5. What comment do Rose and Bono make about Troy's tall tales?
6. Why does Troy say that he is not planning to give Alberta up?
7. What does Rose say Raynell brought into her life?
8. What is Troy's answer to Rose's question about why he won't let Cory play football?
9. What does Troy say in response to Rose's comment that their son Cory is being scouted by a recruiter?
10. What is Rose's response to Troy's confession about Alberta?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the structure of the play, examining the time frame during which the play is set. How does Wilson alert the audience/reader to the passage of time from scene to scene? In your analysis, include your ideas about why Wilson made the decision to start the play when Cory was a high school student and end it nearly eight years later. Discuss the ways changes in other characters could only have been accomplished by using that time frame.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the specific events which lead to Troy's downfall. Mention each character in the book and how Troy's loss of control is manifested by each.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze how money affects the following characters: Troy, Cory, and Lyons. Explain why money is an issue for each and what each character does about the issue during the course of the play.
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)