|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which two characters have told stories which are not entirely based on reality?
2. After Rose leaves, what information about Cory does Troy reveal to Bono and Lyons?
3. What chore is Rose doing when Troy comes out of the house?
4. On the day the play begins, what does Troy confront his boss about?
5. What prompts Troy to tell a long story about how he saw Death in person?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Troy say when Rose wonders who's going to bury Alberta?
2. What does Troy say about the Negro Leagues in baseball?
3. Why does Troy say he left home when he was a young man?
4. Who does Gabriel think he is?
5. What does Troy say in response to Bono's comment that he's been spending a lot of time with a woman named Alberta?
6. Under what circumstances did Gabriel receive the injury which resulted in a metal plate being placed in his head?
7. After Bono and Troy's conversation about Alberta, Bono leaves and then Troy confesses what to Rose?
8. Where is Rose taking Raynell and a cake?
9. When Cory come home after having been gone for years, how is he dressed?
10. How does Rose respond to Bono when he wonders why he stayed at his lousy first home so long?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the August Wilson poem, which appears before the play, applies to the play's characters and themes.
"When the sins of our fathers visit us
We do not have to play house.
We can banish them with forgiveness
As God, in His Largeness and his Laws."
Essay Topic 2
Explain how foreshadowing is used effectively in the play. Give examples of at least five instances in which foreshadowing comes into play--both from the standpoint of the foreshadowing itself and the event or dialogue it predicts.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the character of Lyons. How he is related to the other characters in the book? What are his dreams and difficulties? Why might the playwright have included Lyons' character?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)