|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cory go inside to do after Rose tells him that Troy is angry?
2. When Rose appears in Act 1, why does Bono say he doesn't want to stay for dinner?
3. Troy says that all he's got strength to do is __________ (fill in the blank).
4. How much compensation did Gabriel receive as a result of his injury?
5. When Troy comments that Hank Aaron is doing well, what is Troy's response?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Troy's answer to Rose's question about why he won't let Cory play football?
2. What warning does Bono give Troy about Rose?
3. What is Rose's response to Troy's confession about Alberta?
4. Who does Gabriel think he is?
5. What does Rose say Raynell brought into her life?
6. What does Troy say in response to Rose's comment that their son Cory is being scouted by a recruiter?
7. After Lyons leaves, and Cory is left alone in the yard, what does he do, unaware that Troy is watching him?
8. What does Troy say to his baby daughter?
9. When Cory come home after having been gone for years, how is he dressed?
10. When Bono arrives at the house, for what reason is it revealed that Bono and Troy haven't seen each other for months?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the character of Lyons. How he is related to the other characters in the book? What are his dreams and difficulties? Why might the playwright have included Lyons' character?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the final moments of the play and explain the symbolism of Gabriel's words and actions.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the structure of the play, examining the time frame during which the play is set. How does Wilson alert the audience/reader to the passage of time from scene to scene? In your analysis, include your ideas about why Wilson made the decision to start the play when Cory was a high school student and end it nearly eight years later. Discuss the ways changes in other characters could only have been accomplished by using that time frame.
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)