|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the money Gabriel received as a compensation for his injury used for?
2. What sport does Bono say Troy excelled at?
3. Troy says that all he's got strength to do is __________ (fill in the blank).
4. According to Rose, where has Cory gone?
5. What does Troy assume Lyons is doing when he puts his hand in his pocket?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the hospital call Troy after Alberta's death?
2. What does Gabriel do at the end of the play?
3. What outside chore does Troy want Cory to help him with when Cory comes home from football practice?
4. What does Troy say in response to Bono's comment that he's been spending a lot of time with a woman named Alberta?
5. What has Bono been doing on Friday nights instead of drinking beer with Troy?
6. Why does Troy say that it doesn't matter that he doesn't have a driver's license?
7. What does Rose say Raynell brought into her life?
8. What does Troy say while complaining about baseball?
9. How does Rose respond to Bono when he wonders why he stayed at his lousy first home so long?
10. When Cory come home after having been gone for years, how is he dressed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the play, Troy constantly feels the need to control the lives of others. Analyze how Troy controls--or tries to control--the lives of Rose, Cory, and Gabriel. In each instance, give specific examples and explain to what extent these characters have improved the control of their own lives by the end of the play.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Troy's childhood, explaining what happened to his mother and how his father forced him to leave home. Examine what effect those childhood experiences have on his personality and his actions.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the issue of racial prejudice in the play, both in terms of what are factual issues addressed and what are problems for which Troy claims exist only because of the domination of the white man over the black man.
This section contains 1,291 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)