|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Blue?
2. Why does Troy say that he's not impressed that Cory's being scouted by a football recruiter?
3. After Lyons and Bono leave, Cory comes home angry with his father for what?
4. How much compensation did Gabriel receive as a result of his injury?
5. When Cory returns home, Rose tells him that Troy is angry for what reason?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Troy, many months after revealing his affair, still coming home every night?
2. When Troy complains that Cory is lazy, how does Rose respond?
3. What reason does Bono give Cory when he asks why Rose wants a fence?
4. Why does Troy say that it doesn't matter that he doesn't have a driver's license?
5. What does Rose tell Troy he should do when the recruiter comes?
6. What did Troy finish before he died?
7. What does Troy say to his baby daughter?
8. When Bono arrives at the house, for what reason is it revealed that Bono and Troy haven't seen each other for months?
9. When Troy is left alone in the yard, to whom does he speak?
10. What is Rose's response to Troy's confession about Alberta?
Essay Topic 1
Analyze how money affects the following characters: Troy, Cory, and Lyons. Explain why money is an issue for each and what each character does about the issue during the course of the play.
Essay Topic 2
Using ideas from the play, explain why you think August Wilson chose to call his play "Fences." In addition to discussing the fence which Troy builds around his house, include your ideas about what other fences exist in the play and why the fence serves as a strong symbol in the play.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Rose's decision to raise the baby Troy fathered with another woman. In what way is her decision a reflection of her characteristics throughout the play? In what way does her decision change her relationship with Troy? In what way does her decision change her life both positively and negatively?
This section contains 1,268 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)