|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After several months have passed since Troy revealed his affair to Rose, how often has Troy been at home?
(a) About once a week to give Rose grocery money.
(b) Once a month to check on Cory.
(c) Every night but only long enough to change his clothes.
(d) Just twice.
2. While Rose is grappling with the news of Troy's affair, what does Gabriel give Rose?
(a) Some money.
(b) A book.
(c) Some candy.
(d) A flower.
3. What does Rose tell Cory he can't escape?
(a) Nightmares about his childhood.
(b) The part of him that was and will always be Troy.
(c) The fact that he hasn't been to see her for years.
(d) The fact that he physically resembles his father.
4. What does Troy say to his daughter?
(a) That he's done his best.
(b) That he cares about her.
(c) That people can be cruel.
(d) That he won't let anything bad happen to her.
5. In his monologue, what does Troy say he's going to finish?
(a) The fence.
(b) His job.
(c) His relationship with Alberta.
(d) His relationship with Rose.
6. What is Rose's reaction when Troy asks her to help take care of Alberta's baby?
(a) She goes inside.
(b) She slaps Troy.
(c) She tells him to go away.
(d) She walks outside the fence.
7. When Rose agrees to take care of the baby, what does she say Troy will be from that moment on?
(a) A womanless man.
(b) A bad example for Cory.
(c) A money provider only.
(d) Only a visitor to the house.
8. Left alone, what song does Troy sing?
(a) A song about love.
(b) A song about loss.
(c) A song about a dog.
(d) A song about traveling the roads.
9. Who is going with Rose on her errand?
10. Which character in the play is not seen onstage?
11. When Rose tells Troy to come inside for lunch, what does he tell her about his affair with another woman?
(a) That the woman is a friend of Rose's.
(b) That he won't give the other woman up.
(c) That it's over.
(d) That he's gotten another woman pregnant.
12. For what reason does Rose tell Raynell to come in and get dressed?
(a) Rose doesn't want Raynell seen in the yard in her night clothes.
(b) They have errands to do.
(c) They are going to Troy's funeral.
(d) Rose wants to see if Raynell's new dress fits.
13. When Troy sends Cory in for another saw, what does Troy ask Bono?
(a) He asks Bono to try and talk to Cory about not playing football.
(b) He asks Bono to stay around to work on the fence.
(c) He asks Bono not to tell Cory about Alberta.
(d) He asks what Bono means by talking about Rose the way he did.
14. Which of the following is NOT included in Old Blue's song?
(a) That he lived near the river and swam every day.
(b) That he died like a man.
(c) That he treed a possum in Noah's Ark.
(d) That his grave was dug with a silver spade.
15. What happens to Alberta?
(a) She runs away, leaving the baby in the hospital.
(b) She is put into a mental institution.
(c) No one knows.
(d) She dies giving birth.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Cory say he has come home?
2. What does Rose say Raynell brought into her life?
3. Once Rose and Troy are alone, what does Rose say about Troy's affair?
4. What does Gabriel know at the end of the play?
5. Troy says that he made a hit when he met Rose, got to first base with Cory, and that Alberta makes him feel so good he could __________ (fill in the blank).
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)