|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what crime did Troy serve time in prison?
(a) He was caught selling drugs.
(b) He accidentally killed a man.
(c) He beat up a police officer.
(d) He committed armed robbery.
2. Why does Troy tell Cory he has to get another job?
(a) Because Troy's the boss and what he says goes.
(b) Because Rose will be ashamed of Cory if he doesn't.
(c) Because they need Cory to make money to help the family.
(d) Because Cory should learn what it's like to go to work every day.
3. Why does Gabriel say his own name is not in Saint Peter's book?
(a) Because he has already died.
(b) Because he will never die.
(c) Because of his sins.
(d) Because he is too young.
4. Under what circumstances was Gabriel injured, leaving him with a brass plate in his head?
(a) When he fell down a flight of stairs.
(b) In a car accident.
(c) In the war.
(d) While loading a garbage truck.
5. What does Cory tell Troy about the football recruiter who has watched Cory play with his high school team?
(a) Cory says that the recruiter says he's the best player he's seen in years.
(b) Cory says that the recruiter had seen Troy play ball.
(c) Cory says that the recruiter has given him some gifts.
(d) Cory says that if he's recruited he'll have a chance to go to college.
6. What is Rose doing when Cory returns home from football practice?
(a) She is sweeping the sidewalk.
(b) She is mowing the lawn.
(c) She is taking clothes off the line.
(d) She is watering the garden.
7. What is Lyons actually doing when he puts his hand in his pocket?
(a) Lyons is going to pay Bono back.
(b) Lyons plans to pay back the $10 he borrowed from Troy earlier.
(c) Lyons is going to jingle his change to show he's got money in his pocket.
(d) Lyons is going to show he has no money and to ask for more.
8. When Troy says that blacks or Hispanics aren't being allowed to play baseball to their potential, how does Cory respond?
(a) Cory gives examples of black players who are doing well.
(b) Cory says the blacks are better players than the Hispanics.
(c) Cory says the Hispanics are better players than the blacks.
(d) Cory agrees with his father.
9. Why does Gabriel suddenly run off from Rose and Troy's yard?
(a) He is angry with Troy for lecturing him.
(b) He is afraid of the noise from the trash trucks.
(c) He says Saint Peter needs him immediately.
(d) He says he hears the hounds of hell coming after him.
10. For what offense does Troy say his father once almost beat him to death?
(a) He found out Troy was stealing.
(b) He found out Troy had been skipping school.
(c) He caught Troy sneaking out of the house.
(d) He found Troy with a girl.
11. What does Troy do after he talks about still having strength left to have sex with Rose?
(a) Sits down on the porch swing.
(b) Leaves for the corner bar.
(c) Puts his arms around Rose.
(d) Goes into the house.
12. When Troy returns from listening to the ball game and caresses Rose suggestively, what is Rose's response?
(a) She kisses him passionately.
(b) She tells him to leave her alone.
(c) She tells him to wait until later.
(d) She slaps him.
13. Who lives with Rose and Troy?
14. In what way does Troy say he doesn't want his son to end up like him?
(a) Choosing something to do for which he really wasn't suited.
(b) Frustrated at not being able to have a professional career.
(c) Angry about arguing with a coach every day.
(d) Unhappy with his parents.
15. What does Bono say about his first home in response to Rose and Tony talking about their home?
(a) He says it was lousy and he doesn't know why he stayed there as long as he did.
(b) He says it was the only house he ever loved.
(c) He says that he plans to buy back his first home some day.
(d) He says he let his wife talk him into staying there.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Troy say about his faithfulness to Rose?
2. What descriptive word does Troy use when he complains about Cory to Rose?
3. After working silently for a while with Troy, Cory tries to make small talk about baseball and Troy makes which of the following comments?
4. What does Troy say that he has to do because he is afraid of the devil?
5. After Gabriel leaves, what does Rose tell Troy she's heard about Gabriel?
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)