|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Gabriel first appears, what is he carrying?
(a) A trumpet.
(b) A suitcase.
(c) A tie.
(d) A book.
2. What does Rose tell Troy he should do when the football recruiter comes to the house?
(a) He should not sign the papers.
(b) He should ask the recruiter how much money is involved.
(c) He should sign the papers.
(d) He should wait to hear Bono's opinion.
3. Who does Gabriel tell Troy he has eaten with that morning?
(a) Aunt Jemima.
(b) The devil.
(c) The angels.
(d) His mother.
4. When Troy comments that Hank Aaron is doing well, what is Troy's response?
(a) He says that Aaron is a sellout.
(b) He says that that's only one example.
(c) He says that he was a better player than Aaron.
(d) He says that Aaron is going to burn out in no time.
5. What does Troy remember about his own father?
(a) That he was deaf.
(b) That he was tough but understanding.
(c) That he didn't like Troy.
(d) That he was selfish and angry at the world.
6. When Lyons appears, what makes Troy ask him why he's not in jail?
(a) Troy is implying that Lyons stole his money,
(b) Troy often poses this question to Lyons.
(c) Bono told Troy that three of Lyons' friends were in jail.
(d) A club where Lyons plays got raided.
7. What does Troy assume Lyons is doing when he puts his hand in his pocket?
(a) Troy assumes Lyons is going to ask for money.
(b) Troy assumes Lyons is going to pay Troy back.
(c) Troy assumes Lyons is going to pay Bono back.
(d) Troy assumes Lyons it going to show he has no money to buy them drinks.
8. In what way does Troy say he doesn't want his son to end up like him?
(a) Frustrated at not being able to have a professional career.
(b) Unhappy with his parents.
(c) Choosing something to do for which he really wasn't suited.
(d) Angry about arguing with a coach every day.
9. What does Bono say about Alberta?
(a) Bono says that Alberta is going to be promoted.
(b) Bono says that he wants to ask Alberta out.
(c) Bono says that Troy has been spending a lot of time with her.
(d) Bono says that he went to grade school with Alberta.
10. What was the money Gabriel received as a compensation for his injury used for?
(a) It was used to pay off Gabriel's debts.
(b) It paid for Rose and Troy's house.
(c) It paid for Gabriel's surgery.
(d) It was gambled away.
11. What does Rose say in response to Troy's comment that she's supposed to come when she's called?
(a) She says she isn't Troy's slave.
(b) She says she doesn't like Troy to talk to her like that in front of Bono.
(c) She says she's not a dog.
(d) She says she didn't hear Troy call her.
12. What descriptive word does Troy use when he complains about Cory to Rose?
13. Once Cory goes inside after he is finished helping Troy for the day, what does Rose ask Troy?
(a) Why he thinks football isn't as good a sport as baseball.
(b) Why he thinks Cory isn't talented at football.
(c) Why he won't let Cory play football.
(d) Why he never takes Cory out anywhere.
14. When Cory returns home, Rose tells him that Troy is angry for what reason?
(a) Because Lyons came by and upset him.
(b) Because Rose asked for money.
(c) Because Cory went off without doing his chores.
(d) Because Troy has to repair the car again.
15. Tony and Bono get together on the Friday night on which Fences begins. What is their reason for doing so?
(a) To complain to the boss about their pay.
(b) To take their wives to the movies.
(c) To drink beer and talk.
(d) To watch a football game.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Troy say about a boy who lies to his father?
2. What does Cory tell Troy about his job?
3. After Rose leaves, what information about Cory does Troy reveal to Bono and Lyons?
4. How are Gabriel and Lyons related?
5. Why does Troy say that he's not impressed that Cory's being scouted by a football recruiter?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)