|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In response to what Rose tells him to do, what does Troy say he will do when the recruiter comes to the house?
(a) He says he won't sign the papers.
(b) He says he will sign the papers.
(c) He says he will wait to hear Bono's opinion.
(d) He says he will not ask the recruiter how much money is involved.
2. Why does Gabriel think Troy is mad at him?
(a) Because he has been helping Rose too much.
(b) Because he doesn't earn any money.
(c) Because he went to live in the boarding house.
(d) Because he's been feeding stray dogs.
3. What does Troy say in response to Rose's concern about Gabriel?
(a) He says that Gabriel has plenty of people looking out for him.
(b) He says that Gabriel is fine and not to worry.
(c) He says they should look in on Gabriel more often.
(d) He says that Gabriel likes Rose to feel sorry for him.
4. For what offense does Troy say his father once almost beat him to death?
(a) He found Troy with a girl.
(b) He found out Troy was stealing.
(c) He found out Troy had been skipping school.
(d) He caught Troy sneaking out of the house.
5. What sport does Bono say Troy excelled at?
6. What descriptive word does Troy use when he complains about Cory to Rose?
7. In what way does Troy say he doesn't want his son to end up like him?
(a) Angry about arguing with a coach every day.
(b) Unhappy with his parents.
(c) Frustrated at not being able to have a professional career.
(d) Choosing something to do for which he really wasn't suited.
8. What is Troy's response to Rose's argument that times have changed?
(a) He takes a long drink of beer.
(b) He tells her that times might have changed but not for women.
(c) He says she should argue that point with their son.
(d) He agrees with her.
9. When Cory answers Troy's question about whether he's just come home with "yeah," what does Troy remind him?
(a) Troy reminds Cory to call him "sir."
(b) Troy reminds Cory that he said he wouldn't go to practice on Saturday.
(c) Troy reminds Cory he should have been home a long time ago.
(d) Troy reminds Cory that he should speak in complete sentences.
10. What happened to Troy's mother?
(a) She went to live with Troy's sister.
(b) She shot Troy's father and was sent to prison.
(c) She ran off when Troy was eight.
(d) She died when Troy was a baby.
11. What prompts Troy to tell a long story about how he saw Death in person?
(a) Rose tells Troy he's going to drink himself to death.
(b) Troy is responding to Bono's request to hear one of Troy's stories.
(c) Troy tells Rose that before long she might be on her own.
(d) Rose tells Troy that he needs to buy some life insurance.
12. What does Rose comment when Troy says that Gabriel can come and go at the boarding house just as he could at home?
(a) Rose says that it's not the same thing.
(b) Rose says that the boarding house is too expensive.
(c) Rose says that Gabriel doesn't understand that.
(d) Rose says that she agrees with Troy.
13. What does Troy say about the fact that Lyons wants to be a musician?
(a) Troy says that he wants Lyons to quit playing.
(b) Troy says that Lyons has no talent.
(c) Troy says Lyons needs to earn a living so he can keep playing.
(d) Troy says that Lyons needs to make some important contacts.
14. What does Rose say in response to Troy's comment that she's supposed to come when she's called?
(a) She says she isn't Troy's slave.
(b) She says she doesn't like Troy to talk to her like that in front of Bono.
(c) She says she didn't hear Troy call her.
(d) She says she's not a dog.
15. How are Gabriel and Lyons related?
(a) They are not related.
(b) Lyons is Gabriel's nephew.
(c) Gabriel is Lyon's father.
(d) Gabriel and Lyons are brothers.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Cory respond to his mother as he leaves the house, hurrying because he is late for a game?
2. When did Troy say he reformed?
3. When Gabriel first appears, what is he carrying?
4. Whose names does Gabriel say are in Saint Peter's book?
5. When Rose asks Gabriel if he wants breakfast, what does he say?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)