|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Cory tell Troy about his job?
(a) That he quit his job.
(b) That he doesn't want to work part-time.
(c) That the manager gave the job to somebody else.
(d) That the manager wants to give him a promotion.
2. What is Troy's response to Cory's question about why Troy never liked him?
(a) Troy says that Cory is a responsibility but that Troy doesn't have to like him.
(b) Troy says that he questions who Cory's real father is.
(c) Troy says that Cory has always been too much trouble.
(d) Troy says that Rose never let Troy take part in raising Cory.
3. What is Troy's response to Rose's argument that times have changed?
(a) He says she should argue that point with their son.
(b) He tells her that times might have changed but not for women.
(c) He agrees with her.
(d) He takes a long drink of beer.
4. What does Troy say about Alberta?
(a) Troy says that the boss has been having an affair with Alberta.
(b) Troy says that Alberta is sexy, but he hasn't been with her.
(c) Troy says that he finds Alberta unattractive.
(d) Troy says that he thinks Alberta deserves to be promoted.
5. After Rose sends Cory out to help Troy, what do Cory and Troy work on silently for some time before talking to each other?
(a) The garden.
(b) The porch swing.
(c) The fence.
(d) The screen door.
6. Who lives with Rose and Troy?
7. What does Troy say about the Negro League?
(a) That it was a stupid idea.
(b) That it had better pitchers.
(c) That he knew everybody in it.
(d) That it was good for blacks.
8. What do Rose and Bono say about Troy's long stories?
(a) That they are proof that Troy drinks too much.
(b) That they are different every time.
(c) That he should not tell them to children.
(d) That there is a lot of truth in them.
9. Which two characters have told stories which are not entirely based on reality?
(a) Troy and Gabriel.
(b) Gabriel and Lyons.
(c) Bono and Troy.
(d) Troy and Lyons.
10. What does Rose tell Troy he should do when the football recruiter comes to the house?
(a) He should not sign the papers.
(b) He should wait to hear Bono's opinion.
(c) He should ask the recruiter how much money is involved.
(d) He should sign the papers.
11. What argument do Rose, Troy, and Bono have about grocery stores?
(a) Whether they should patronize the new supermarket on the corner.
(b) Whether it's possible to make a profit on a small grocery store in this day and age.
(c) Whether their local grocery store is clean or not.
(d) Whether you should shop where you get a good deal or where they know you.
12. Troy says that all he's got strength to do is __________ (fill in the blank).
(a) Earn a living to support all the people who rely on him.
(b) Stay put and not pick up and leave.
(c) Pray for guidance.
(d) Put up with all the people telling him what to do.
13. In response to what Rose tells him to do, what does Troy say he will do when the recruiter comes to the house?
(a) He says he will sign the papers.
(b) He says he won't sign the papers.
(c) He says he will not ask the recruiter how much money is involved.
(d) He says he will wait to hear Bono's opinion.
14. When did Troy say he reformed?
(a) When he met and married Rose.
(b) When he heard from his father.
(c) When he met Bono in prison.
(d) When his son was born.
15. After telling Rose to go into the house to get Cory to help him, what does Troy do?
(a) He examines the hinges on the screen door.
(b) He pulls up some weeds.
(c) He sits down on the porch swing.
(d) He starts sawing wood for the fence.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Troy say about his faithfulness to Rose?
2. In what way does Troy say he doesn't want his son to end up like him?
3. How much compensation did Gabriel receive as a result of his injury?
4. What does Troy say would have happened if he hadn't taken charge of Gabriel's money?
5. According to Rose, where has Cory gone?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)