|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Troy say about a boy who lies to his father?
(a) He says it's time for more severe punishment.
(b) He says it's time for that boy to get out.
(c) He says it means trouble for the whole family.
(d) He says it's the father's fault.
2. When Gabriel first appears, what is he carrying?
(a) A trumpet.
(b) A tie.
(c) A book.
(d) A suitcase.
3. At the end of Rose and Troy's conversation about Gabriel's money, where does Troy go?
(a) To listen to a ball game on the radio.
(b) To bring Gabriel back.
(c) To find Cory.
(d) To mow the lawn.
4. For what offense does Troy say his father once almost beat him to death?
(a) He found Troy with a girl.
(b) He caught Troy sneaking out of the house.
(c) He found out Troy had been skipping school.
(d) He found out Troy was stealing.
5. What happened to Troy's mother?
(a) She died when Troy was a baby.
(b) She went to live with Troy's sister.
(c) She shot Troy's father and was sent to prison.
(d) She ran off when Troy was eight.
6. What does Rose say in response to Troy's comment that she's supposed to come when she's called?
(a) She says she isn't Troy's slave.
(b) She says she didn't hear Troy call her.
(c) She says she's not a dog.
(d) She says she doesn't like Troy to talk to her like that in front of Bono.
7. What descriptive word does Troy use when he complains about Cory to Rose?
8. What does Rose say about the possibility of improving one's life?
(a) She says that Bono should try to improve his life.
(b) She says that some people don't know that improving their lives is possible.
(c) She says that she hopes to improve her life some day.
(d) She says that she wishes Cory would look at life's possibilities.
9. What was the money Gabriel received as a compensation for his injury used for?
(a) It paid for Rose and Troy's house.
(b) It was gambled away.
(c) It paid for Gabriel's surgery.
(d) It was used to pay off Gabriel's debts.
10. As the first Act closes, what does Troy tell Cory he'd better be careful not to do?
(a) Fail his classes.
(b) Strike out.
(c) Steal anything ever again.
(d) Find another job.
11. When Troy complains about Cory, what does Rose ask Troy?
(a) Rose asks Troy why he's so cranky about everything.
(b) Rose asks Troy if he'll mow the lawn instead of Cory.
(c) Rose asks Troy why he doesn't speak to Cory about the boy's behavior.
(d) Rose asks Troy if he wants a beer.
12. Who does Gabriel think he is?
(a) The devil.
(b) An angel.
(c) A minister.
13. When Lyons appears, what makes Troy ask him why he's not in jail?
(a) Troy is implying that Lyons stole his money,
(b) A club where Lyons plays got raided.
(c) Troy often poses this question to Lyons.
(d) Bono told Troy that three of Lyons' friends were in jail.
14. What does Troy say in response to Rose's concern about Gabriel?
(a) He says that Gabriel likes Rose to feel sorry for him.
(b) He says they should look in on Gabriel more often.
(c) He says that Gabriel is fine and not to worry.
(d) He says that Gabriel has plenty of people looking out for him.
15. In response to what Rose tells him to do, what does Troy say he will do when the recruiter comes to the house?
(a) He says he won't sign the papers.
(b) He says he will sign the papers.
(c) He says he will wait to hear Bono's opinion.
(d) He says he will not ask the recruiter how much money is involved.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lyons actually doing when he puts his hand in his pocket?
2. Why does Troy tell Cory he has to get another job?
3. When Bono tells Troy he'll be back on Monday, what does Troy say?
4. What is Troy's response to Rose's argument that times have changed?
5. While they are working together, for what reason does Troy say Cory should be grateful to him?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)