|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Gabriel first appears, what is he carrying?
(a) A trumpet.
(b) A tie.
(c) A book.
(d) A suitcase.
2. Which two characters have told stories which are not entirely based on reality?
(a) Bono and Troy.
(b) Troy and Gabriel.
(c) Troy and Lyons.
(d) Gabriel and Lyons.
3. What does Troy say about the Negro League?
(a) That he knew everybody in it.
(b) That it had better pitchers.
(c) That it was a stupid idea.
(d) That it was good for blacks.
4. What does Rose say in response to Troy's comment that she's supposed to come when she's called?
(a) She says she's not a dog.
(b) She says she didn't hear Troy call her.
(c) She says she doesn't like Troy to talk to her like that in front of Bono.
(d) She says she isn't Troy's slave.
5. When Rose asks Gabriel if he wants breakfast, what does he say?
(a) He says the ladies of the church see that he's fed.
(b) He says he usually eats breakfast with Saint Peter.
(c) He says he doesn't eat breakfast.
(d) He says the angels prepare his breakfast.
6. When Troy comments that Hank Aaron is doing well, what is Troy's response?
(a) He says that that's only one example.
(b) He says that he was a better player than Aaron.
(c) He says that Aaron is a sellout.
(d) He says that Aaron is going to burn out in no time.
7. After Rose sends Cory out to help Troy, what do Cory and Troy work on silently for some time before talking to each other?
(a) The fence.
(b) The porch swing.
(c) The screen door.
(d) The garden.
8. What is Troy's response to Rose's argument that times have changed?
(a) He tells her that times might have changed but not for women.
(b) He takes a long drink of beer.
(c) He says she should argue that point with their son.
(d) He agrees with her.
9. After Gabriel leaves, what does Rose tell Troy she's heard about Gabriel?
(a) That he beat up a woman.
(b) That he's not eating right at the boarding house.
(c) That he's been playing the lottery.
(d) That he's begun acting crazy at church.
10. As the first Act closes, what does Troy tell Cory he'd better be careful not to do?
(a) Strike out.
(b) Find another job.
(c) Fail his classes.
(d) Steal anything ever again.
11. When Cory answers Troy's question about whether he's just come home with "yeah," what does Troy remind him?
(a) Troy reminds Cory to call him "sir."
(b) Troy reminds Cory that he should speak in complete sentences.
(c) Troy reminds Cory that he said he wouldn't go to practice on Saturday.
(d) Troy reminds Cory he should have been home a long time ago.
12. When Troy returns from listening to the ball game and caresses Rose suggestively, what is Rose's response?
(a) She tells him to wait until later.
(b) She tells him to leave her alone.
(c) She slaps him.
(d) She kisses him passionately.
13. Who lives with Rose and Troy?
14. Why does Gabriel think Troy is mad at him?
(a) Because he has been helping Rose too much.
(b) Because he went to live in the boarding house.
(c) Because he's been feeding stray dogs.
(d) Because he doesn't earn any money.
15. Who does Gabriel tell Troy he has eaten with that morning?
(a) His mother.
(b) Aunt Jemima.
(c) The devil.
(d) The angels.
Short Answer Questions
1. On the day the play begins, what did the boss do when he caught Troy and Bono's co-worker doing something wrong?
2. When Rose remarks that a neighbor won some money in the lottery, what opinion does Troy express?
3. What does Rose say is the reason that Troy never played in the major leagues?
4. Where does the money come from that Rose gives Lyons?
5. What does Troy say about his faithfulness to Rose?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)