|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On the day the play begins, what did the boss do when he caught Troy and Bono's co-worker doing something wrong?
(a) He did nothing.
(b) He fired the co-worker.
(c) He hit the co-worker.
(d) He penalized the co-worker by reducing his pay.
2. When Lyons shows up, what does Troy correctly think he wants?
(a) That Lyons wants Rose to make him breakfast.
(b) That Lyons wants to borrow money.
(c) That Lyons wants to use Troy's car.
(d) That Lyons wants to move in with Rose and Troy.
3. What happened to Troy's mother?
(a) She shot Troy's father and was sent to prison.
(b) She died when Troy was a baby.
(c) She went to live with Troy's sister.
(d) She ran off when Troy was eight.
4. What does Rose say in response to Troy's comment that she's supposed to come when she's called?
(a) She says she didn't hear Troy call her.
(b) She says she isn't Troy's slave.
(c) She says she's not a dog.
(d) She says she doesn't like Troy to talk to her like that in front of Bono.
5. What is Lyons actually doing when he puts his hand in his pocket?
(a) Lyons is going to jingle his change to show he's got money in his pocket.
(b) Lyons is going to show he has no money and to ask for more.
(c) Lyons is going to pay Bono back.
(d) Lyons plans to pay back the $10 he borrowed from Troy earlier.
6. As Cory runs out of the house, late for a game, what does Rose say to him?
(a) That she'll make his favorite dinner.
(b) That his room is a mess.
(c) That the recruiter called him again.
(d) That she hopes he wins.
7. Who is Blue?
(a) A girl Bono knows.
(b) The boss.
(c) A dog.
(d) Troy's co-worker.
8. Why does Troy say that he's not impressed that Cory's being scouted by a football recruiter?
(a) Because Cory will never amount to anything.
(b) Because Cory isn't making the kind of money he should to help his parents out.
(c) Because Cory isn't really talented.
(d) Because there's no money to be made by black men playing sports.
9. What does Cory tell Troy about the football recruiter who has watched Cory play with his high school team?
(a) Cory says that if he's recruited he'll have a chance to go to college.
(b) Cory says that the recruiter had seen Troy play ball.
(c) Cory says that the recruiter has given him some gifts.
(d) Cory says that the recruiter says he's the best player he's seen in years.
10. When Bono tells Troy he'll be back on Monday, what does Troy say?
(a) That Rose will make them both breakfast on Monday morning.
(b) That Bono should come back on Saturday for dinner.
(c) That he plans to confront the boss again on Monday.
(d) Not to bother coming because he'll still be making love with Rose.
11. Under what circumstances was Gabriel injured, leaving him with a brass plate in his head?
(a) When he fell down a flight of stairs.
(b) In a car accident.
(c) While loading a garbage truck.
(d) In the war.
12. Which two characters have told stories which are not entirely based on reality?
(a) Gabriel and Lyons.
(b) Troy and Lyons.
(c) Troy and Gabriel.
(d) Bono and Troy.
13. What is Troy's response to Cory's question about why Troy never liked him?
(a) Troy says that he questions who Cory's real father is.
(b) Troy says that Rose never let Troy take part in raising Cory.
(c) Troy says that Cory has always been too much trouble.
(d) Troy says that Cory is a responsibility but that Troy doesn't have to like him.
14. When did Troy say he reformed?
(a) When he met Bono in prison.
(b) When his son was born.
(c) When he met and married Rose.
(d) When he heard from his father.
15. In what way does Troy say he doesn't want his son to end up like him?
(a) Frustrated at not being able to have a professional career.
(b) Angry about arguing with a coach every day.
(c) Choosing something to do for which he really wasn't suited.
(d) Unhappy with his parents.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Gabriel say his own name is not in Saint Peter's book?
2. What does Rose comment when Troy says that Gabriel can come and go at the boarding house just as he could at home?
3. What does Troy assume Lyons is doing when he puts his hand in his pocket?
4. Why does Gabriel suddenly run off from Rose and Troy's yard?
5. After telling Rose to go into the house to get Cory to help him, what does Troy do?
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)