|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 2 and 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author say about the statement: "I am a feminist"?
(a) This statement allows women to feel more empowered and gain more respect.
(b) She does not think that women want to back up the statement with actions.
(c) She worries that it is not forceful enough.
(d) She says it may imply a rigid us vs. them mentality or belief system.
2. In the Preface to the second edition, what is the first factor considered by black parents when a child is born, according to the author?
(a) Race, then gender.
(b) Gender, then race.
(c) Race, then size.
(d) Gender, then size.
3. Which elements define the ideal family for the author?
(a) Support, respect, unity and community.
(b) Unity, modesty, and communication.
(c) Order, respect, and privacy.
(d) Order, unity, respect, and fairness.
4. How does the author support her claims about the reception of black women's efforts in the early feminist movement?
(a) She cites anecdotal evidence based on personal experience.
(b) She presents a series of interviews that she conducted.
(c) She does not support her claims with evidence.
(d) She presents statistical research.
5. How does the author see feminism and the family?
(a) She thinks feminists that reject the family completely are justified in doing so.
(b) She believes that the traditional family structure is fine the way it is and feminists should not try to change it.
(c) She feels ambivalent about the relationship between the two.
(d) Her definition of feminism is one that is pro-family.
Short Answer Questions
1. What question does the author raise about the desire for equality with men?
2. In the Preface, which four factors are most central to the author's argument about a person's position in society?
3. In Chapter 1, the author states that feminist theory and the feminist movement were originally shaped by which type of people?
4. "The problem that has no name" is a quotation by which author?
5. What were black women mostly encouraged to talk about in the early days of the feminist movement.
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)