|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does it ultimately mean for the author when women behave like white men?
(a) It means that there are more white men, i.e. there is no new definition of humanity.
(b) It means that they are traitors to their gender.
(c) It means that these women are creating a more successful life.
(d) It's an important sign of the sexual revolution.
2. The author opens the Preface to the first edition of the book with a description of which group and its experiences in life?
(a) White upper class American women.
(b) Black Americans living in a small town in Kentucky.
(c) Upper class black professionals.
(d) White French feminists.
3. In the Preface to the second edition, what is the first factor considered by black parents when a child is born, according to the author?
(a) Race, then size.
(b) Gender, then size.
(c) Race, then gender.
(d) Gender, then race.
4. How does the author characterize black women's future role in the feminist movement?
(a) She thinks that they would be better off starting their own movement.
(b) She believes that black women have an important role to play in deepening and broadening the movement.
(c) She describes their future role along the lines of a hostile takeover.
(d) She believes that they will no longer need feminism.
5. How does the author describe feminism in the U.S.?
(a) As a separatist movement.
(b) As a collective Marxist movement.
(c) As a radical revolution.
(d) As a bourgeois ideology based on liberal individualism.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of the Preface to the second edition, where does the author maintain that a feminist path will lead us?
2. Based on your understanding of the two Prefaces, who does the author wish to reach with her work?
3. How does the author describe Betty Friedan in Chapter 1?
4. How has the author's own perception of her book held up?
5. The author expresses how feminism reacts to "a political system of imperialist, white supremacist, capitalist patriarchy;" how does she view the state of our society today?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)