|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of the Preface (2000), what does the author say regarding "patriarchal mass media" and feminism?
(a) It appropriates feminist language for its own uses.
(b) It completely ignores feminism and feminists.
(c) It creates low self-esteem in feminists.
(d) It trashes feminism or tells the public it is a dead movement.
2. The phrase "the problem that has no name" refers to which of the following issues?
(a) Women's fears of aging.
(b) The psychological malaise of all women in American society due to gender roles.
(c) Women and schizophrenia.
(d) Hating one's family.
3. From which position (or perspective) does the author claim to write in her analysis of feminism and its social manifestations?
(a) From the margins.
(b) From a foreign perspective.
(c) From an elite position.
(d) From a religious perspective.
4. When and where did the author enroll in her first women's studies class?
(a) At Howard in the 1970s.
(b) At Stanford in the 1970s.
(c) At UCLA in the late 1960s.
(d) At Brown in the early 1980s.
5. In the Preface to the second edition (2000), how does the author characterize the later reception of her work?
(a) Many people embrace her ideas but do not give her any credit for them.
(b) Women of color still feel that the author does not address their concerns.
(c) Male academics find the work too exclusive.
(d) The people who first rejected the book came to regard the author's innovations as necessary and valuable.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the Preface to the second edition (2000), how does the author describe the original reception of her book?
2. In Chapter 1, the author states that feminist theory and the feminist movement were originally shaped by which type of people?
3. In the Preface to the first edition (1984), what general theme does the author present?
4. Overall, what does the author think about the effects of the feminist movement?
5. What did she notice about white female students at the time?
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)