|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For the author, what perspective really changed the direction of feminist thought?
(a) Looking back at women's history.
(b) Looking at the interlocking nature of race, class, and gender.
(c) Accepting men into the movement.
(d) Creating women's studies departments in universities.
2. For the author, which two main terms had been left out of feminist discussions when she first published her book?
(a) Race and class.
(b) Gender and race.
(c) Genetics and the role of the family.
(d) Class and marital status.
3. At the end of the Preface to the second edition, where does the author maintain that a feminist path will lead us?
(a) To a world where women have equality with men.
(b) To a world where sexism is kept at a minimum.
(c) To a world of peace, freedom, and justice, without sexism or domination.
(d) To a major battle between the forces of peace and of domination.
4. In the author's view, what three things most determine a woman's destiny?
(a) Her race, her gender, and who she marries.
(b) Her alma mater, her first job, and who she marries.
(c) Gender, race, and class.
(d) Who she marries, her appearance, and her family name.
5. In the Preface to the first edition (1984), what general theme does the author present?
(a) The central theory of her work.
(b) A history of the feminist movement.
(c) Her ideas about high school education for girls.
(d) Her mother's life story.
Short Answer Questions
1. Were there ever alternate reactions to black women's efforts to participate in the early feminist movement, and if so what were they?
2. The author opens the Preface to the first edition of the book with a description of which group and its experiences in life?
3. In Chapter 1, what key term does the author use to talk about the "racial politic" in the U.S.?
4. What does it ultimately mean for the author when women behave like white men?
5. What did she notice about white female students at the time?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)