|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the Preface to the first edition (1984), what general theme does the author present?
(a) Her ideas about high school education for girls.
(b) The central theory of her work.
(c) A history of the feminist movement.
(d) Her mother's life story.
2. At the end of the Preface to the second edition, where does the author maintain that a feminist path will lead us?
(a) To a world where women have equality with men.
(b) To a world of peace, freedom, and justice, without sexism or domination.
(c) To a major battle between the forces of peace and of domination.
(d) To a world where sexism is kept at a minimum.
3. In the Preface to the second edition, what is the first factor considered by black parents when a child is born, according to the author?
(a) Race, then size.
(b) Gender, then race.
(c) Race, then gender.
(d) Gender, then size.
4. What does it ultimately mean for the author when women behave like white men?
(a) It means that these women are creating a more successful life.
(b) It means that there are more white men, i.e. there is no new definition of humanity.
(c) It means that they are traitors to their gender.
(d) It's an important sign of the sexual revolution.
5. "The problem that has no name" is a quotation by which author?
(a) Leah Fritz.
(b) Bell hooks.
(c) Betty Friedan.
(d) Rita Mae Brown.
Short Answer Questions
1. When and where did the author enroll in her first women's studies class?
2. For the author, which two main terms had been left out of feminist discussions when she first published her book?
3. In the Preface to the second edition (2000), how does the author describe the original reception of her book?
4. For the author, what must happen to feminism in order for it to have "a revolutionary, transformative impact on society"?
5. What is the social and racial dynamic described by the author at the beginning of the Preface to the first edition of the book?
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)