|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the Preface to the first edition (1984), what general theme does the author present?
(a) Her ideas about high school education for girls.
(b) The central theory of her work.
(c) Her mother's life story.
(d) A history of the feminist movement.
2. In the Preface to the second edition (2000), how does the author characterize the later reception of her work?
(a) The people who first rejected the book came to regard the author's innovations as necessary and valuable.
(b) Male academics find the work too exclusive.
(c) Many people embrace her ideas but do not give her any credit for them.
(d) Women of color still feel that the author does not address their concerns.
3. In the Preface to the first edition (1984), which two key terms in her analysis does the author introduce?
(a) Liberal and conservative.
(b) Inside and outside.
(c) Intellectual and illiterate.
(d) Margin and center.
4. For the author, what perspective really changed the direction of feminist thought?
(a) Looking at the interlocking nature of race, class, and gender.
(b) Creating women's studies departments in universities.
(c) Accepting men into the movement.
(d) Looking back at women's history.
5. What was the author's initial experience in women's groups?
(a) Everyone was really open-minded.
(b) White women did not treat women of color as equals.
(c) She found solidarity with women from very different backgrounds.
(d) No one would look at her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did she notice about white female students at the time?
2. At the end of the Preface to the second edition, where does the author maintain that a feminist path will lead us?
3. In Chapter 1, what key term does the author use to talk about the "racial politic" in the U.S.?
4. How does the author characterize black women's future role in the feminist movement?
5. The phrase "the problem that has no name" refers to which of the following issues?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)