|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What name did early feminists use to describe radical, or revolutionary, feminists?
2. What did she notice about white female students at the time?
(a) They were at college in order to find husbands.
(b) They were not very smart.
(c) They were afraid to look at each other in class.
(d) They were very excited about creating community and being together.
3. According to the author, how are joint analyses of race, class, and gender seen today?
(a) They are accepted by mainstream feminism as common practice.
(b) They are still rejected by mainstream feminists as too radical.
(c) They are mostly practiced by black intellectuals.
(d) They are exclusively embraced in university settings.
4. What was the author's initial experience in women's groups?
(a) White women did not treat women of color as equals.
(b) Everyone was really open-minded.
(c) She found solidarity with women from very different backgrounds.
(d) No one would look at her.
5. At the end of the Preface to the second edition, where does the author maintain that a feminist path will lead us?
(a) To a world where sexism is kept at a minimum.
(b) To a major battle between the forces of peace and of domination.
(c) To a world of peace, freedom, and justice, without sexism or domination.
(d) To a world where women have equality with men.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author opens the Preface to the first edition of the book with a description of which group and its experiences in life?
2. As stated in the 1984 Preface, what is the primary weakness of feminist theory that the author promises to address in her book?
3. Were there ever alternate reactions to black women's efforts to participate in the early feminist movement, and if so what were they?
4. For the author, what must happen to feminism in order for it to have "a revolutionary, transformative impact on society"?
5. The author states that most women would like to be like ________________.
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)