|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 10 and 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which elements define the ideal family for the author?
(a) Order, unity, respect, and fairness.
(b) Order, respect, and privacy.
(c) Support, respect, unity and community.
(d) Unity, modesty, and communication.
2. How does the author describe Betty Friedan in Chapter 1?
(a) As a marginal woman who rose to prominence.
(b) As a major proponent of integration within the feminist movement.
(c) As the author of a seminal feminist work whose theories have a white, middle-class bias.
(d) As a creative genius who was misunderstood.
3. What is the author's main contention about work in Chapter Seven?
(a) There needs to be better statistical data about employment.
(b) Ideas and attitudes about work must change.
(c) The government should create more jobs.
(d) Professors are underpaid.
4. What will happen if people follow the course of action regarding beliefs about motherhood proposed by the author?
(a) It will help children learn about motherhood.
(b) It will help new mothers to carry on traditions.
(c) It will help to eliminate systemic sexism.
(d) It will expose others to non-western cultural perspectives.
5. How did early (upper middle class, white) feminists regard work?
(a) Work outside the home was equated with freedom from male oppression.
(b) They saw it as an added burden to the childcare they were already doing.
(c) They wanted to work but did not want to compete with men in the professions.
(d) They felt it was less important than education.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the author see feminism and the family?
2. What is the social and racial dynamic described by the author at the beginning of the Preface to the first edition of the book?
3. What was the author's initial experience in women's groups?
4. How should feminists behave towards consumerism, according to the author?
5. Following the author's reasoning, what does a societal trend towards women identifying with and pursuing male models of power show?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)