|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 10 and 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the author view the concept of personal freedom?
(a) It is grounded in preserving the patriarchal, capitalist, individualist status quo.
(b) It is an honorable and uplifting concept.
(c) It runs the risk of promoting sexual infidelity.
(d) It promises to be an idea around which the feminist movement can rally.
2. How did the group initially discussed by the author characterize parenthood?
(a) As a form of discipline.
(b) As a luxury.
(c) As a social duty to create future citizens.
(d) As a trap, another way the male patriarchy exercised its power.
3. What reason does the author give for lower and middle class women's relationship with power?
(a) They have lived in circumstances that required self-reliance, rather than dependency.
(b) They have met with a lot of defeat.
(c) They need further political education.
(d) They work all the time.
4. How does the author describe Betty Friedan in Chapter 1?
(a) As a creative genius who was misunderstood.
(b) As a major proponent of integration within the feminist movement.
(c) As the author of a seminal feminist work whose theories have a white, middle-class bias.
(d) As a marginal woman who rose to prominence.
5. How did early feminists, and society at the time, view housework?
(a) As an ideal job.
(b) As something a woman cannot escape.
(c) As demeaning.
(d) As relatively easy work.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did she notice about white female students at the time?
2. Based on your understanding of the two Prefaces, who does the author wish to reach with her work?
3. What can happen to women in light of the social views about their gender?
4. What is the main relationship discussed in Chapter 5?
5. What is the awareness about sexual oppression that the author advocates?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)