|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 6 and 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the author, who originally defined "sisterhood" in the feminist movement?
(a) Working class women.
(b) The middle class white women at the forefront of the movement.
(c) University professors.
(d) Young female college students in sociology classes.
2. What is the social and racial dynamic described by the author at the beginning of the Preface to the first edition of the book?
(a) Upward mobility: Blacks strove to imitate whites and climb the social ladder.
(b) Desegregation: Blacks were finally able to go wherever they wanted.
(c) The author does not discuss race until the end of the Preface.
(d) Segregation: Black people could enter parts of the white people's world, but they could not stay there.
3. How does the author feel about defining feminism as enabling total personal freedom?
(a) She finds the definition to vague.
(b) She thinks it is immoral.
(c) She sees it as very limiting for women since it is a male-defined model.
(d) She sees this as the most favorable definition of feminism.
4. What major difference between white and black men does the author point out?
(a) White men were not as threatened by strong women functioning outside traditional gender roles.
(b) White men encouraged women to go to work whereas black men did not.
(c) Black men did not trust women who worked outside the home.
(d) Black men were not as threatened by strong women functioning outside traditional gender roles.
5. In Chapter Six, what does the author claim women active in feminist movement have been ambivalent about?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author, what does society often teach women about what it means to be a woman?
2. Why does the author hold her particular beliefs about prioritizing struggles against different forms of prejudice?
3. How did early feminists, and society at the time, view housework?
4. What are some of the biggest challenges to sisterhood?
5. How should feminists behave towards consumerism, according to the author?
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)