|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many women had engaged in extramarital sex?
2. How was the cold feeling that women experienced following a fear technique employed by the feminine mystique?
3. What drains away the needs that cannot really be filled by the home and family?
4. What have psychiatrists used to cure neurosis in the past?
5. Newspaper headlines screamed that working mothers were responsible for __________________.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the social propaganda around the feminine mystique. How has married life been glorified and glamorized? Why has it been made to be more than it is? What is the benefit to women staying at home, from an economic standpoint. Explain your answer using quotes from the book.
Essay Topic 2
How did Mrs. Friedan practice what she preached? How was she an equal victim of the discrimination against women, and what private battles did she herself face in the years following the publishing of the "Feminine Mystique"?
Essay Topic 3
Explain how Freud obtained his views of women. How did his surroundings come into play? His child hood? Why is it hard to take Freudian views seriously when the method by which he obtained these psychoanalytical findings? Use quotes from the book.
This section contains 301 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)