|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What clinic for children did Mrs. Freidan visit?
2. What two things are at the very heart of the feminine mystique?
3. What was blamed for every problem American children faced?
4. Housework was specially suited to what kind of girls?
5. What drains away the needs that cannot really be filled by the home and family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the women that pursued a career and self realization, to those who went to college strictly to find a husband, get married and have children. How do they differ in personal growth? How does society of that era view both women? Explain the difference in their marriages. Use quotes from the book.
Essay Topic 2
How were men equally a part of a "masculine mystique" during the years of the Vietnam war? What kind of roles did the men play during this time, and what were they told was the full extent of masculinity? How did they oppose the masculine mystique, and what kinds of pressure did they face in response to their movement?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role that religion plays in perpetuating the feminine mystique. Why do you think this is the case? What does religion stand to gain if the women stay home? Why? Explain your answer.
This section contains 291 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)