|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the really crucial role of the housewife?
2. By what percent did the rate of teenage mothers increase between 1940 and 1957?
3. Why is it easier to live through someone else as opposed to finding yourself?
4. Who was always blamed for the neurosis of men?
5. When did Professor Maslow begin his study of the relationship between sexuality and the "dominance" feeling?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is it impossible to live within the confines of the feminine mystique for any length of time? Why is it so difficult for women to pursue a socially acceptable role of 'femininity' within the culture of the 1950's? Are their any comparable situations in today's day and age? Explain your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the women that pursued a career and self realization, to those who went to college strictly to find a husband, get married and have children. How do they differ in personal growth? How does society of that era view both women? Explain the difference in their marriages. Use quotes from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the social propaganda around the feminine mystique. How has married life been glorified and glamorized? Why has it been made to be more than it is? What is the benefit to women staying at home, from an economic standpoint. Explain your answer using quotes from the book.
This section contains 291 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)